Take My Heart

Snow White

[In the end of the Spring, The wedding between Cheon Chu-Jeon and Princess Wang A-Ji held grandiosely. Seol sang a beautiful song for the couple, which Ju finally confirmed himself he was in love with her since long time ago. During their another encounter at the palace garden, they confess their love to one another.]

 

The Spring has almost come to an end. The palace had fully prepared for a wedding between Cheon Chu-Jeon, the soldier, and Wang A-Ji—nicknamed A-Ran—the first-born princess of Goryeo. The reception and banquet held with surrounded families from Chungju clan and other guests. The groom and bride, the newlyweds, were sitting on the center in silence. Seol chuckled at their bashful behaviors, not missing their hands’ held together.

“A-Ran, I present you seven rolls of silk fabrics.” Ju said as the servants put the five folded fabrics that has different colors, on the table.

“Thank you, brother.” A-Ran thanked.

Wang Chi held the chests, filled with mirrors and jewels.

“I bless you two, with these mirrors that will reflect your happily married life. Pearls and jades for wishing good news from you.”

Cheon Chu-Jeon and A-Ran meekly nodded, blushing. Hwangbo sisters, Princess Bo-Hwa and Moon-Duk, congratulated the bride as they hugged her. Jung and Baek-Ah blessed them with more gifts. The king himself presented himself and told the newlyweds he sent the small flower tree at Chungju household.

“When the tree grows, we should invite all,” A-Ran suggested to her husband, “…seobang-nim…”

Cheon Chu-Jeon only blushed, but nodded his head with smile. Ju and Chi laughed heartily at his embarrassed look. Jung and Baek-Ah hooted playfully, prodding Cheon Chu-Jeon with smile. Princesses and Hwangbo sisters squealed in delight as Lady Munhye and Lady Gyeonghwagung giggled. Seol smiled at the two, unaware of Chi and Ju’s glance at her. A-Ran noticed then made an idea.

“Seol, do you have anything for us?”

Seol blinked her eyes.

“Can you sing for us as your gift?”

She looked around and everyone’s eyes were on her. She nodded her head then.

“Alright, if you wish.”

She coughed, gaining attention. Jung smiled as her brothers were anticipating.

“I used to think,

I had the answers to your past,”

Princesses leaned on, mesmerized by her voice. Hwangbo sisters looked in amazement. Lady Munhye seemed proud of her stepdaughter’s serene voice as Lady Gyeonghwagung was too.

“But when I see the sun,

I fell for your rare smile it shines along.

Life goes on and everyone’s are,

yet I see the man who makes me smile.

So come to me where there’s no loneliness.”

Chi smiled fondly as Ju felt a slight thump in his chest. They looked at her with same emotion, yet different expression.

“All I need is you, dear friend,

so we will look at rising clouds,

while the water has run dry.

But why those tears come at night?”

Baek-Ah and Jung reminisced their time when they heard Hae Soo sang during Eun’s birthday, reminding how Seol’s singing voice was strikingly similar to her mother. It was a sound of one drizzle on the day of sunlight, dropped into a lake where the lilies dance on. They were not the only one who thought of it as the king’s smile faded slightly.

“All I want is you, dear friend.

Thank you…”

Then Seol glanced at Ju, briefly giving him a loving smile.

“For being you, being with me…”

The silence took over as Seol finished her song. A-Ran, Bo-Hwa, Moon-Duk, Hwangbo Su looked at Ju, who was staring at Seol with conflicted eyes. He silently walked away, ignoring of his sister’s concerned look. Seol noticed that, and was about to go after her but surrounded by Jung, Baek-Ah, and the relatives from Chungju clan who applauded for her. Seol reminded herself to go after him when the banquet’s over.


The night was still young as Seol was at the garden where the pond was reflecting the moonlight. The pink lilies were still waltzing on the water. The fireflies were landed on the flower, resting peacefully. Breathe in the fresh air, she felt a little bit relaxed. Since, no one’s watching and no one has barely known about the place she could rest a bit.

A week ago, when she had a horseback riding with the crown prince, she confessed that she lied about the courting to distance herself away from him so he could be protected from eyes of rumors that would have used to go against either him, or the king. Fortunately, Ju understood and assured he could protect himself. But for some reason, she swore she had seen the unnamed emotions of forlorn in his eyes. She brushed off the thought as she closed her eyes, unaware of the footsteps approaching behind.

“Seol…”

Jumped in surprise, she turned around and saw Wang Ju behind. His eyes were slightly big, unexpected to see her in such place. Seol hurriedly greeted him as she curtsied. 

“How’s your brother?” Ju asked.

“More bashful than usual,” Seol made a sarcastic, yet playful comments, “he didn’t spoke anything to me though.”

“…oh.”

“Do you come here often?” Seol carefully asked.

Ju nodded his head.

“Yes…to be honest…I came here to pray you don’t marry.”

“And what’s that supposed to mean?” She demanded, slightly offended.

“If you married off to somewhere, I’ll be the only one to stand here alone…”

Seol was caught off by his words. Ju made a sad smile.

“No—perhaps, I wouldn’t be able to hear your singing voice anymore…”

Ju remembered when he was only six years old, the first time he heard of Jung’s daughter. The mysterious girl who had managed to befriend with his spunky little sisters. When he was told that they were out to the lake Dongji with the girl, he secretly followed. He slowly spied along as he reached to the lake and when he saw the girl’s face, he stopped. Her doe-like eyes were sparkling with innocence, as if she didn’t belong to the cruel, dark hell called palace. His mother told him once the girl’s mother Hae Soo had managed to bewitched not only one, or two princes but more than four of them. Ju imagined Court Lady Hae to be beautiful and conniving woman until he saw Seol for the first time, the first time he heard her sing. He hid behind the tree closer and listened to a melodic, serene voice of her’s. He didn’t realized he was smiling at her, shades of pink bashfully loomed over his face.

Forming a red blush on her cheeks, Seol was about to leave until she was held back and embraced from behind. She could feel herself cradled into his strong arms with her back against his broad chest, she could also hear her heart beating loudly. What surprised her the most, was his. His chest was warm, yet his heart was wildly palpitating. ‘Could it be…’ She thought. Ju lightly scoffed at himself, possibly for his impulsiveness.

“Who am I to restrain this selfishness that rages within me?” He muttered.

She felt his arms loosened a little, but kept her around them. She was able to turn around and saw his fond, amorous, yet beguiling smile as the dimples were revealing. His eyes were almost glassy but she could see herself reflected within his dark, onyx eyes.

“Your highness?” She called out.

“Just call me by my name. Please, for this night—or one moment—forget that I’m the Crown Prince…” he beseeched, “I wish you could see me as a man.”

His begging command reached to Seol’s heart she found herself hard to blink back her tears. She was guilty, believing she was betraying Lady Hunsook, but at the same time, happy that he was in love with her, the woman, who also loved him.

Seol grabbed his left hand. Their fingers intertwined, then she dragged herself into his arms, now able to feel his warm chest. She finally spoke the words Ju had wished all years to hear the most.

“Ju-ya, I’m already your person.”

‘I love you, too.’

Hearing her enchanting words, Ju found himself smiling with elation, full of love he deserved. He embraced her tightly as if fearing she will leave him. She looked up and formed the most radiant smile he had ever seen. And within few seconds, he leaned forward with his arms remained around her waist, and brushed his lips against her’s. She closed her eyes, accepting his intimate invitation and allowed his hands intertwined with hers.

The shimmering fireflies flew along with its mate, towards the sky, waltzing above them. Either prepared for the upcoming obstacles or ignoring them, two lovers under the moon could only thought nothing but one another, unable to hide their yearning, their selfishness to be remained together. Seol, for the firs time in her life, she have learned to willingly accept any hardship as long as she could love and protect him. Ju, for the first time in his life, have learned to willingly consumed with a passion for a woman he longed to be with.

 

Note:

For the song Seol sang, let’s say I modified/edited the old ones Hae Soo sang during the episode 7. I mixed with the poem So sent to her. Phew! It take me long time to modify them…