Part I: Anticipation

Spaces In Between

Wendy prides herself in being able to adapt to any given situation, no matter the circumstance and no matter the provided obstacles. She believes that’s why she’s so good at what she does, being the head waitress and barista at the cafe owned by her older cousin. It was tough at the beginning, but with any challenge she’s given, Wendy has had no problem conquering it.
 

“Two iced Americanos for Eunha! Thanks for your patience and I can’t wait for your next visit,” her smile radiates, almost causing the teenager before her to cover her eyes. She decides to bow instead, face lighting up with a smile at Wendy’s genuinely cheerful nature. It almost makes her regret getting iced drinks, wanting to hold onto the warm feeling she was given.
 

“I’ll definitely come back and bring my friends,” Eunha chirps before walking backwards, unable to take her eyes off of the barista who is practically bouncing on the balls of her feet.
 

Joy subtly turns the girl around so she doesn’t trip on her own feet and Seulgi opens the door for her. The actions come naturally, the two set up like this when the customer flow is minimum but Wendy’s charm is turned up to its maximum.
 

“Seungwan-ah, you should really stop doing that thing you do with your face,” Seulgi chuckles, watching as the customer walks away from the coffee shop in an obvious daze. She wonders if she’ll drop the iced Americanos at any second, her grip looking as weak as her knees do.
 

“You mean, smile?” Yeri rolls her eyes, shaking her head at another customer who has successfully fallen in love with Wendy’s charms. A small smile rests on her face, hoping to one day cause the same kind of effect on future patrons.
 

“I won’t be beat,” Joy grumbles, narrowing her eyes as she waits for another customer to come through the door. She taps her foot and holds her notepad close to her heart, her resolve to become the most popular barista as strong as ever.
 

“It’s not a competition,” Seulgi chuckles as she rubs her girlfriend’s back affectionately, “Besides, you know you’ve already won in my heart, right?”
 

“I’m going to the back,” Yeri mumbles, walking away from the couple, Joy having completely fallen for Seulgi’s painfully cliche line. She has to get back to work before she vomits on the floor. “You two seriously need a room.”
 

“Who needs a room when Joy already owns this one?” Seulgi gushes, earning a well deserved peck on the lips. Joy happily wraps her arms around Seulgi's waist and begins to cover her in light kisses, causing her girlfriend to giggle at the ticklish sensation.
 

Yeri's eye twitches at the sight, not entirely used to the shift in behaviour between the two.

 

A reminder suddenly hits Yeri and she smiles evilly at the memory that it was Joy’s turn to mop the floors today. Maybe she’ll consider upchucking after all.
 

Wendy just laughs at the scene, starting to get used to the new couple’s toe-curling moments. After agonizing months of talking to the both of them and then the two finally having the chance to talk it out (or kiss it out, for the matter), Wendy is just happy that they were finally together after Seulgi's crush having developed on the girl since their early middle school days. They were very much still in their honeymoon mood and would probably stay in that mood for another few years.
 

“Okay you four, get back to work,” Tiffany, the manager of the establishment chimes in, causing all of her employees to flinch. “That girl probably has classmates who are on their way here so you best be prepared!” Her voice is laced with happiness and enthusiasm, but the workers knew that the older woman meant business.
 

“If you scare off another customer with your silly shenanigans, be sure that I’ll cut 10 minutes from your break~!” she waves enthusiastically at her employees before returning to her office, door slamming firmly behind her.
 

“Wendy unnie, your cousin is scary,” Joy shudders, not wanting to even dare think of her lunch being cut any shorter. 30 minutes was already barely enough time to go out and grab some chicken or some pizza.
 

“Only if you make her angry,” Wendy shrugs, a small smile on her face. She’s yet to make her older cousin angry herself, but she has seen the result of her thin patience plenty of times.
 

“I sometimes wonder how Taeyeon unnie has been married to her for 10 years already,” Seulgi mumbles before readjusting the apron’s knot around her waist. “I’m pretty sure she gets yelled at the most.”
 

“But that’s how you know it’s true love!” Joy presses her hands together happily, a sigh escaping her lips.
 

“True love, huh?” Wendy chuckles, shaking her head as Seulgi stares at her girlfriend in confusion.
 

“Wait, but you only ever yell at me when -- “
 

“Customers!” Yeri shouts out from the kitchen, definitely catching every word being said outside the small window that separates her from the baristas. She doesn't like where Seulgi was accidentally heading towards.
 

"Seulgi honey, that's not yelling, it's more like and gasping," Joy adds in ever so casually, giving Wendy and Yeri a greasy look as Seulgi instantly turns red. "And that's plenty of proof that what we have is also true love!"

 

"Can you two please --"

 

"Hello! And welcome to Puff Puff cafe!!"

 

A flood of high school and college students come in, causing each employee to rise to the occasion. It’s always a little overwhelming at first, but with their teamwork and Wendy’s leadership, it’s easy to take control again.

 

And that’s how their days typically went.
 

Wendy’s biggest challenge was maintaining her energy and consistent work ethic, especially when had to work all day. But the routine grew to become like breathing to her, natural and almost a little too easy.
 

It was as if she was made for the job, despite how much it irked Joy that their little competitions over who the customers loved more were a little pointless after Wendy's well established fan base.
 

Wendy had confidence in Joy however, the younger girl being incredibly charming despite having only started working a few months ago after Seulgi had convinced her to try for a part time job.
 

Wendy on the other hand has worked at the establishment for over three years now, having landed the job when Tiffany opened the place during the summer before her senior year of high school. It was her first and only real job, not counting the few times here and there when she would tutor English to the few people who answered her advertisement online. Those students were barely consistent, unlike her frequent customers who would come to Puff Puff Cafe every day for a coffee, a treat and Wendy’s smile.
 

Tiffany would always beam with pride while she watched her favourite cousin and best employee zip and buzz around her floor with professional ease. Her voice was like a song, drawing in customers with each note. Her smile was like sunshine and her eyes spilled sparkles and charm as if she had an endless supply. It helped immensely that the cafe was also near the same university campus that Wendy went to part time, drawing in her friends and classmates as well.
 

Wendy leaked confidence out of every pore in her body, memorizing orders like it was nothing and executing them all the same. She was the friendliest and most efficient employee, despite having to balance her classes and her clubs at the same time. Sometimes, her friends would wonder when she even had time to sleep.
 

But today, her usual brilliant, vivacious air has been dissipating with each second.
 

“Stop pacing, you’re making Seulgi dizzy,” a snort, a shake of the head and giggles follow. The three girls are all gathered on one table, Joy leaning against Seulgi while Yeri plays with her phone. It’s the end of the lunch “rush” (consisting of only a handful of customers today) and Wendy is starting to create an artificial path in the hardwood floors with her insistent pacing.
 

Without looking up, Wendy knows exactly who’s talking. She spares a glance to her right to see Joy rubbing her girlfriend’s shoulders as her head follows Wendy’s every move.
 

Today the cafe was almost suspiciously empty and it did not help with Wendy’s anxiety. She wonders if she’s imagining it or if maybe this was some kind of bad omen.
 

“I’m sorry Seul, but I can’t stay still while I’m thinking about what’s going to happen later today,” Wendy grumbles as she fists her apron, making the fabric crinkle in despair. “Or should I say, anytime today. Any minute today...any second…”
 

She stops in her tracks as she almost bites her thumb in frustration. She shakes her head instead, resisting temptation when Yeri gives her a questioning look.
 

“I don’t understand why you guys didn’t just share her flight time so you’d have an idea of when she’d be coming,” Yeri reasons, finally looking up from her phone. Wendy sometimes wonders who in the world the girl is talking to at every possible opportunity she could turn on her phone.
 

“She wanted her arrival to be a surprise,” Wendy responds, a small frown forming on her face. “And I wanted to respect her wishes.”
 

“Despite it making you ridiculously antsy in waiting for her arrival?” Seulgi sighs, not enjoying the sight of her best friend an obvious mess. It was funny for the first hour or so, but now she’s getting worried. She’s sure that the customer rate today has been low due to Wendy not being in her top condition.
 

“She doesn’t know that,” Wendy almost whispers, turning away from her friends to avoid their reactions.

“Unnie! I thought you two were going to be honest with each other?” Yeri grumbles, getting up from her seat to glare at the back of Wendy’s head.

“We are! We have been...It’s just,” she sighs before taking a seat next to the fuming Yeri and placing her head on her shoulder. “I want things to be perfect, despite how terrified I feel waiting for her. I feel like meeting her at the airport is too easy, like I can perfectly time when I’ll see her and I can easily prepare myself mentally. This way, she can catch me off guard and our eyes can meet across the room and we’d just have this...moment. You know? And everything would be perfect and all I can see is her and I can finally come to understand all the love songs I’ve ever sung and just...”

A pause and Wendy sighs, digging her head into the comfort of the youngest’s shoulder. The other three glance at each other, three identical smiles peaking through despite the weight of Wendy’s words.

Best friends to the rescue!

“Are you sure she’s not just catfishing you?” Joy interrupts the silence, looking at Wendy with almost too serious of an expression.

“Sooyoung! How could you say that?!” Wendy whines, getting up immediately to resume her pacing, her steps a little quicker this time. “Oh my God, what if you’re right?”

“I bet she’s actually a 60 year old man,” Seulgi joins in, giving Wendy the exact same expression. She raises her finger before looking at her best friend straight in the eyes, “With a wife, a girlfriend and five illegitimate children, none of whose names he can ever remember properly.”

“But because he still feels so unfulfilled with his life, he started talking to you in the disguise of this Irene woman so that he could feel loved again,” Yeri continues, creating a triplet of freakishly serious expressions. Wendy backs up a little, letting the false and ridiculous information sink in at an alarming rate. She can feel a cold sweat forming at the back of her neck as she imagines the situation unfolding.

“However, his wife, finally finding the records of your conversations from the moment you met up until the moment before he sets out for his flight, decides to act out and chases him to the airport!” Joy gets up and slams her hands on the table, her eyes threatening to pop out of their sockets.

“In a desperate match of screams and pleas, the husband and wife reconcile after 35 years of a broken marriage. They kiss, they make up and ‘Irene’ completely forgets about his trip to Korea,” Yeri finishes, also slamming her hands on the table and getting up. Seulgi follows the same pattern, nodding in agreement to further push the story onto a shaking Wendy.

“You...you guys...you might be right,” she places a hand over in disbelief. To believe, after all this time that Irene was actually just a morally unsure old man--

“Oh my God, Wendy unnie, you’ve skyped with her practically every other day for the past two years! This just proves you’re freaking out over nothing,” Joy concludes, hands in the air. She couldn’t believe that Wendy actually followed through that entire imagination escapade. It was fun at first, but they could practically hear Wendy hyperventilating towards the end of their outrageous accusation.

“Oh,” is all Wendy can reply as she sheepishly scratches her cheek. She pokes her two index fingers together as she carefully looks at her friends, finally realizing that they were just joking around in an attempt to calm her down. “That’s true...”

Wendy remembers their first video call so clearly, it’s almost as if it happened just a few minutes ago. She remembers Irene’s gentle voice and her stunning face, a presence that left her breathless and wordless for a second. How could she forget such important details?
 

Maybe she really should just take a moment to breathe. After all, how could she make her first meeting with Irene unforgettable if she’s a sweating mess?

“Seungwan-ah, everything’s going to be alright, you know that right?” Seulgi places a warm hand on Wendy’s shoulder, giving her one of her classic eye smiles.

“She’s going to be charmed by you, just like every other goddamn person in this planet seems to be after just seeing you smile,” Joy pats Wendy’s head rather aggressively, wanting to knock some sense into her nervous wreck of a mind.

“And if she breaks your heart of something, just know that I have plenty of backup to take care of things,” Yeri adds in with a chuckle, poking Wendy’s cheek affectionately.

Wendy jolts up before rolling her eyes and shaking her head, “That’s taking things a little bit too far Yerim.” She pinches Yeri’s cheeks before hopping onto her feet and taking in another deep breath.

“I can do this!” Wendy shouts suddenly, closing her eyes tightly and clenching her fists. She just needs to visualize, to get back into a normal state of things, to find herself again amongst the pile of nerves that’s built up over the past week.

 

“You can do this!” Seulgi exclaims right after, pumping both of her fists into the air. The other two eagerly follow along in the cheers, finding it addicting to encourage their nervous wreck of a friend.

 

“Yes, I can!! Yes, I --”
 

“Girls, stop your racket, there’s a customer at the door!” a voice calls out seemingly from nowhere. The four stiffen at the sudden announcement and all turn towards the door at the same time.
 

Wendy feels her heart stop beating suddenly and everything becomes silent. Her eyes widen at the beautiful sight at the doorway and she fails to hear the shuffling of chairs, the wishes of good luck and a punch or two on her arm.
 

“Wannie?”