Solace

Solace

Jiwon entered their classroom with a smile. She laid her bag above her table and was about to take a sit when she noticed the chair near the window being vacant. It wasn’t an unusual view, but Jiwon wonders why she feels strange about it. And so she asked her classmate who was sitting next to her.

 

            “Where’s Woobin?”

 

            “Hm? I heard he was arrested last night for smashing someone’s car.”

 

            “What?” She exclaimed in surprise and disbelief.

 

After being worried the whole day, Jiwon rushed to the police station after class and paid the bail for Woobin. After bailing him out, they started to walk home silently. Jiwon being two steps ahead of Woobin. He was staring at her as if contemplating something until he finally decided to break the silence.

 

            “Why did you do that?” He started. Jiwon then stopped on her track and turned around to look at Woobin.

 

            “Why wouldn’t I do that? Seriously, you could just tell them that it wasn’t you, that you didn’t do it. But instead, you admitted it. Seriously? Why did you admit something you didn’t do? Are you out of your mind?” Jiwon ranted.

 

            “Would it make sense then? Delinquent students like me are supposed to be the one who does that. So it has to be me. And besides, they have an evidence against me. Do you think they’ll believe me if I said the truth?”

 

            “Even so. Are you going to keep on admitting everything that they accuse you then? Sins? Crimes? What are you, trying to save humanity?” She scolded and Woobin just smiled as if enjoying the way she’s acting towards the matter.

 

            “Were you worried? Sorry, I wouldn’t do it again. Or....maybe I’ll do it more often.” He teased as if asking for more nagging but sadly, he got a kick to his leg from Jiwon.

 

            “Aw!” He exclaimed at the sudden attack while Jiwon turned around and began walking.

 

“How did you know that it wasn’t me?” Woobin asked as he followed Jiwon.

 

“I just know”, was her answer. It was a short and simple but to Woobin, it meant a lot.

 

That’s the kind of relationship they have. The kind of relationship they’ve built for years of being classmates and childhood friends. It’s the kind of relationship that their classmates doesn’t know since they don’t really act that friendly towards each other in school. They’re not that typical friends that hang out with each other. They just happen to have the same situation, a chaebol with messed up families. But they cope with it differently. Jiwon was that good outstanding student while Woobin’s the delinquent type. But despite that, they will understand each other. You know that popular line that other people say, ‘Misery loves company.’ Woobin can’t help but to feel happy and relieved knowing that there’s someone who believes in him when the rest of the world doesn’t. He ruffled Jiwon’s hair trying to express his gratitude.

 

“Yah!” Jiwon whined and pouted in respond. Woobin just chuckled at her cuteness and made up by combing the strands of her hair with his hands trying to fix the mess he made.

 

  • - -

Jiwon opened her locker revealing her books and a strawberry milk above it. She looked around their classroom looking for someone. When she didn’t find what she’s looking for, she stormed out of the room and climbed up the stairs to the rooftop. Jiwon immediately saw Woobin leaning on the railings of the rooftop as soon as she opened the door. Woobin then turned around to see who just came.

 

“What are you doing here?” He asked as Jiwon strode towards him.

 

“Wae, can’t I be here? Are rooftops only made for delinquent students?” Jiwon answered, or rather argued. Woobin just laughed and leaned his back against the railings with his hands on his pockets. Jiwon then raised the strawberry milk that she found on her locker and showed it to Woobin.

 

“Komawo.” She said with a wide smile.

 

“It’s really easy to make you happy, huh?” Jiwon then smiled wider, if that’s even possible. But Woobin noticed that there’s something wrong with her smile.

 

“What’s wrong?” He gently asked.

 

“Hm? Oh, you noticed.” Jiwon said after taking a sip from her strawberry milk.

 

“Marhaebwa.” He demanded.

 

“I will be engaged on Saturday.” Jiwon simply said.

 

“With whom?”

“I don’t know. I haven’t met him yet.”

 

“Arranged marriage? Wow. How clichéd.”

 

“I know, right. But you’re going to the party, aren’t you?”

 

“Why would I go?”

 

“Be there as a friend.”

 

“Am I your only friend?” Woobin scoffed. “Aah, you want me to witness you committing a public suicide? Okay, sure, why not, it’ll be an honor.” He said sarcastically.

 

“Don’t forget to bring a gift with you, okay?” Jiwon reminded as if being engaged to someone she never knew was the best thing that will happen into her life which made Woobin scoff louder than earlier. He drew out a stick of cigar from his pocket and lit it up. Jiwon watched him respire the smoke from his cigarette. “I though you already quit smoking.” She said and just continued to look at him as if she’s trying to analyze something. “Did something happen?” She asked. Woobin exhaled his smoke first before tilting his head to look at Jiwon.

 

“You didn’t know?” He started. “Today’s my mom’s wedding....with that man.” He said, then he chuckled afterwards trying to sound light. Jiwon stared at him for a while after hearing the news.

 

“Should we cut classes today?” She suggested out of the blue. Woobin looked at her in surprise and chuckled in disbelief of what he just heard.

 

“Did you finally got tired of being a good student now?”

 

“Hmm, mm-mh.” Jiwon nodded and Woobin can’t help but let out a laugh because of the fact that it was actually the most honest thing he heard in his entire life. The same with Jiwon who also laughed at her answer knowing that it was probably the most honest thing she ever said.

 

  • - -

It’s Saturday, and it’s Jiwon’s engagement day. She’s wearing a beautiful pink dress, a beautiful make up and a beautifully done hair. But she doesn’t feel beautiful inside. She entered the elevator and pressed the button number six. The door was about to close when Woobin suddenly rushed in.

 

            “I thought you’re really not coming.” Jiwon said.

 

            “Do I have a choice?” Woobin said in return. And then Jiwon opened her palm in front of Woobin as if waiting to receive something. “Where’s your gift?”

 

            “You’re seriously expecting me to give you a gift and congratulate you? Are you kidding me?” Woobin scoffed and then he looked up to see which floor they are. “Yah, can you run with your heels?”

 

            “Maybe. Why?”

 

            “Take them off.” Woobin instructed and Jiwon did as she was told as if she knew what’s going to happen next. Woobin carried Jiwon’s shoes with his left hand while he was holding Jiwon’s hand on his right.

 

            As soon as the door opened, they immediately stormed out of the elevator and ran down the stairs. Their adrenaline was even boosted when they realized that the five family butlers were actually chasing after them. Woobin actually have his motorbike with him but they don’t have enough time to start it or else they’ll be caught. And so, they just kept on running away until they saw a bus stop. They ran even faster to get on the bus waiting and gladly they did, leaving the butlers behind. They sat on the second to the last seat of the bus with Jiwon sitting next to the window. They were both panting in exhaustion. They stayed silent until they finally calmed down. They were still holding each other’s hand tightly and they’re both aware of it but they didn’t made a way to break it. Instead, Jiwon closed her eyes and slowly laid her head on Woobin’s shoulder. Woobin then tilted his head to have a better view of Jiwon’s face and tucked the strands of her hair that was covering her face behind her ears, caressed her cheek a little and smiled as if he’s looking at the most precious thing in the world.

 

                                                          THE END.