Empathy

Empathy

On an ordinary silent night at Sekang Hospital, Sohyun opened the door to the rooftop. She strode towards the railings and inhaled the air that was blowing her hair and the patient’s uniform that she’s wearing. She stepped up to the edge of the rooftop while supporting herself by holding on to the railings. She slowly looked down to the bottom of the building trying to contemplate things in her head. Like the fact that she’s a hundred feet above the ground and that there’d be no second chances if ever she fall. She knows that she may look suicidal to someone who’s going to see her right now. But she doesn’t care because she doesn’t have a plan to actually do so at the first place. She’s standing at the edge of the rooftop not because she wanted to end her struggling life but because she wanted to gain the courage to live. Standing there reminds her that she’s still alive and that she has a life to live, but at the same time, to lose anytime soon. And she doesn’t want that, she doesn’t want to die. She wants to live and lead a normal life. She was so into her contemplating moment that she didn’t noticed what’s going on around her until someone called out for her attention.

 

“Hey”, said a voice from behind. Sohyun tilted her head to the right to see who it was and realized that it was a boy who seemed to be on the same age as her and also wearing the same patient’s uniform. The boy suddenly climbed to the same flat form where Sohyun was standing and supported himself the same way Sohyun does. Sohyun was of course, surprised at his sudden action but was able to not make it obvious. And for a while, she just stared at the boy thinking, ‘What the hell is he doing?’, which probably the same thing the boy thought when he saw her standing at the edge of the rooftop. The boy looked down to see the same view Sohyun was seeing. It’s as if he’s trying to think and feel the same thing as she does, as if trying to understand her. Or probably, he do really understands her. He smiled as he tilted his head to his left meeting Sohyun’s stare.

 

“Let’s get married.”

 

The guy said out of the blue. Sohyun was caught off guard for the second time that night, but this time, she managed to let out a chuckle. An awkward one. Because to her, the idea suggested was just plain ridiculous.

 

“I’m serious.” The boy insisted.

 

“Let me guess…” Sohyun started as she got off the flat form followed by the boy. “..you were probably diagnosed with insanity, weren’t you? So I suppose, you shouldn’t be here but in a mental hospital.” She said sarcastically. While the boy just laughed at her statement as if enjoying her sarcasm.

 

“Well, actually, I just got discharged from the mental hospital yesterday.” The boy bluffed.

 

“Eh?”, was the only thing Sohyun managed to say, dumbfounded maybe for being surprised for the third time - too much for one night. Could there be more surprises coming as the night goes deeper? She was just staring at him with wide eyes and the boy just laughed even harder at her reaction.

 

“If I was really insane, shouldn’t you be running for your life now? But you didn’t, so I assume you feel safe with me. The boy pointed out and all he got from Sohyun was a light, “Tss”.

 

“It was a heart disease.” The boy said.

 

“Hm?”

 

“Aortic Stenosis. The same disease as yours.”

 

Sohyun froze for a while caused by the fourth and hopefully the last surprise for the night revealed by the boy.

 

“H-How did you know?”

 

“How can I not know? Everytime I have my treatments or when I am ran to the hospital because of my attacks, you’re also here, always. It’s like destiny. My room’s even next to yours. Didn’t you know?”

 

That’s the time when Sohyun started to remember reading the name plate of the door next to her room. She also recalled hearing the nurses mentioning a certain name saying that his heart might give up on him earlier than expected if he keeps on having attacks. Though it was blurry to her memory, she also seems to recall those moments at the emergency room being treated the same time.

 

“Yook Sungjae.” Sohyun mentioned.

 

“I’m glad you know my name.” Sungjae said with a wide smile.

 

They were both diagnosed with Aortic Stenosis at such a young age. And the doctor said that having a transplant is the only way to save their lives. Sohyun thought that they’re both too young to have a failing heart. They’re too young to waste their time sulking about it. And so she just laughed at the thought.

 

“Are you serious about marrying me?” Sohyun asked as if buying Sungjae’s ridiculous suggestion.

 

“Yes. Well, that’s if you say yes.”

 

“Hmm…” Sohyun tried to think for a while and arrived with a definite decision.

 

“Okay, let’s get married.” She said with affirmation. Sungjae on the other hand was hoping for her to actually agree because he knows how ridiculous the idea actually was. As if he was lifted in cloud nine, he smiled in relief and happiness.

 

***

            “You’re serious, huh? Really, who marries someone in a hospital’s chapel?” Sohyun asked mockingly while looking at the chapel’s altar.

 

            “I’m telling you, I’m serious. I even prepared our wedding ring.” Sungjae defended bringing out a pair of ring from his pocket.

 

            “Tss. You just probably stole that from your mom’s jewelry box, didn’t you?” Sohyun said jokingly.

 

            “Eo, How did you know?” Sungjae said in return as if going along with her joke which made Sohyun laugh.

 

            “Yah, I earned money from my allowance for six months just to buy this, you know.” Sungjae revealed.

 

            “So you mean, you already have a crush on me before?”

 

            Sungjae didn’t say anything. Instead, he just bit his lip and rubbed his nape which was enough to answer her question. Sohyun finds it cute seeing him act so shy which made her bloom into a smile that she failed to suppress. And maybe, she blushed too. Sungjae then made her face him while they’re both standing in front of the altar. Sungjae cleared his voice before speaking.

 

            “I, Yook Sungjae, vows from this day in front of Sekang Hospital’s Chapel Altar…” He started, making Sohyun laugh at his introduction. “…that I will stay by Kim Sohyun’s side to protect her and to always make her happy. I will be her courage, her sunshine that rises each day to give her hope. And I will love her with all my hear-…” Sungjae paused. “…with all my hypothalamus.” He corrected then smiled.

 

“Sounds better, right? It’s even scientifically correct since we actually use our brains to fall in love, not our hearts, right?”

 

Sohyun smiled and nodded in reply. “The ring.” She said reminding Sungjae to put the ring on her finger. After Sungjae’s vow, it was Sohyun’s turn.

 

“I, Kim Sohyun, vows to be Yook Sungjae’s strength and inspiration. I will give him peace and comfort during difficult times. I will be his sanctuary, his moon that lights up his dark nights. And I will love him with all my hypothalamus.” She finished while sharing a smile with Sungjae. And then she put the ring on Sungjae’s finger. They were looking at each other’s eyes while holding ach other’s hands. And then Sungjae smiled even wider than he already do.

 

“Yook Sungjae, you may now kiss the bride.” Sungjae announced himself.

 

“Who told you?” Sohyun teased which made Sungjae pout as a reaction. Sohyun then smiled in victory and finally closed her eyes; a sign that she’s letting the kiss to happen. Sungjae slowly leaned forward to meet her lips but he stopped midway and shifted to kiss her forehead. After that short moment, Sohyun slowly opened her eyes and met Sungjae’s, but this time, their face was closer to each other and they both bloomed into a smile at the same time.

 

***

After the mini wedding ceremony by themselves, they walked back to their rooms while holding each other’s hands. And when they arrived at Sohyun’s room, none of them wants to let go. Until Sungjae nodded sideways gesturing Sohyun to come to his room. Sohyun was hesitant and so Sungjae started walking towards his room so Sohyun doesn’t have any choice but to follow. Sungjae closed the door behind them when they’re already in. Sungjae climbed into his bed right after while Sohyun was just standing there watching him. He was already lying down sideways, then he tapped the space next to him that he allotted for Sohyun.

 

“What if they find out that I’m not in my room?”

 

“Well, they can always find you. You’re just next door anyway.” Sungjae said and winked cheekily.

 

“What if somebody sees us?

 

“So what?” Sungjae replied and Sohyun just chuckled at his attitude; acting not to care.

 

She then finally climbed into the bed next to Sungjae. She laid her head into Sungjae’s right arm which he purposely lent to her. She also lied sideways facing the same direction as Sungjae. At that moment, Sungjae’s right hand caught Sohyun’s attention. She slowly reached for it and wrapped her left hand to his thumb. Sungjae then started fiddling the wedding ring that was beautifully worn on Sohyun’s left hand.

 

“I will marry you someday, for real.” He said as he intertwines his hand to hers. Then he pulled her closer to him in a tighter cuddle which Sohyun gladly followed. And as if in cue, they both closed their eyes at the same time with a calm smile.

 

THE END.