END.

The Mansion

Baekhyeon's POV

Skeletons were hanging  on the ceiling. The smell of the room was beyond unbearable.

All I could hear was the sound of my own heart, beating frantically against my own ribcage.

Time to recap. Let's start from the beginning.

 

'Eerie' was the best word to describe that very day. I thought we were going to hang out by the fountain at the usual shopping mall. But Luhan, one of my best  friends, had another idea. He said it would be great if we explore the 'haunted' house not far from where we live. Since it was Halloween, Chanyeol and I agreed. How I wished I had known better....

There the three of us stood, on the deserted pathway leading to the abandoned mansion. Just looking at the mansion was enough to make my hair stand. My conscious was urging me to go back home, and hide under the protection  of my blanket.

Then Luhan said, "Come on, don't be a chicken."

I changed  my mind and challenged him back, "After you, then."

I still remember the second of the door creaking open after Chanyeol pushed it. We went deeper inside the mansion. Back then, all of us were so keen to explore  the house that we forgot about the rumours; people died every time they went in. We went into a room. It was a cellar, prison-like with chains hanging on the walls. Then, something caught our attention. At the far corner of the room, hung a human skeleton. Luhan, boring the most curious and bold out of three of us, examined  the skeleton. On the walls, I saw ancient writings;  I couldn't decipher a single word.

"Who lived here?" I thought to myself.

Just then, I saw the walls behind where Chanyeol was leaning, moved.

"Watch out!"

In a matter of seconds Chanyeol disappeared from sight. Luhan was still standing still by now. We banged the walls with our fists, hoping to crush it down. From the other side we could hear Chanyeol asked us to get help. Luhan and I sprinted down the hallway. 'Thump!' I heard a crack. I saw the ceiling move, like there was some  sort of an earthquake.

"Aaaaaaahhhh!"

In a split second I turned  my head 180 degrees and saw the most haunting sight I have ever seen. Luhan was crushed under the pile of ceilings. He laid there begging me to get out of  the mansion. Never had I been made to choose two difficult options. Thinking rationally, I went  out from the house, full speed.

The door seemed to move further away the more I ran towards it. Chills went down my spine when I heard  the most taunting laugh ever. I couldn't think  of anything else, tears started to swell up my eyes, thus blurring my sight. My throat was burning as if it were on fire. Memories  of my family, friends, and my dog flashed before my eyes.

"This is it," I thought, "This will be the end of me."

As if someone had pushed me, I rolled forward and found myself landing on a dry, hard dirt.

"What is this? Am I in heaven?"

Realization hit me. I witnessed how the mansion, that once stood so tall and proud, crumbled and exploded with fire erupting from nowhere. I really didn't know what I should do. But what I knew was, what I should have done before this happened. Finally, I stood up on my feet, and ran from the mansion. All I wanted  to  do was lock myself from  the world. I have lost my two best friends and I couldn't do anything. I am a murderer; I could not save them. 

Now, every time I look at myself in the mirror, I cringed. The mirror's sole purpose  is to reflect everything. If  you looked closely, it can only reflect the surface and not what lies underneath.

Who knew a bright day could turn out so wrong?