chapter five

werifesteria

19

 

Daehyun’s nose stung from the harsh cold. His eyes were burning and his hands had long since gone numb. The blizzard had been random and unexpected, but he refused to let it get in his way. It wasn’t like it affected him anyway.

In the back of his mind, he could already hear Himchan’s voice reprimanding him for making such an impulsive decision, listing off all the ways he had just put him as well as everyone else in danger. It didn’t matter. He had to tell Youngjae the truth, even if it ruined everything. Just pretending the other didn’t exist wasn’t working anymore.

He wondered what he looked like right then, with his face most likely flushed an angry red, snowflakes forming on his eyelashes and brows; he must've looked absolutely insane.

At least I look how I feel, he thought, slowing down as the massive outline of the Yoo residence came into vision. He glanced back at the vast spread of woods that he'd spent decades living in. If Youngjae reacted badly, they would have to relocate, and have to find a way to prevent others from getting to the stream. His brothers would never forgive him, and he honestly wouldn’t blame them. Even in the greatest outcome of his decision, they were still going to be furious with him. There was no turning back, though. He clenched and unclenched his fingers nervously. Whatever happens, happens.

 

 

The knock on the door startled Youngjae out of his stupor. He was supposed to be gone weeks ago, only that there had been a blizzard, and there was no chance of his going anywhere for at least another week. Whoever was at the door had to have been absolutely out of their minds.

He turned his attention back to the window, half his thoughts in the sky and half in the conversation at the door. He could somewhat hear his mother’s concerned questioning, but most of what was being said was blocked out by the traveller’s heavy breathing. Eventually, he heard two sets of footsteps coming his way. He resisted the urge to sigh. He honestly didn’t want to be bothered, and even considered escaping up the stairs, but decided the lecture he would get for avoiding guests again wasn’t really worth it.

He turned around to greet the stranger, and the sentence got stuck in his throat. He swore his heart came to a complete stop. His eyes didn't know what to focus on. Daehyun's face was flushed red, and his tanned skin looked almost pale in comparison. His teeth were chattering silently, and his whole frame seemed to shiver. Without even thinking, Youngjae blurted, “Would you like some tea?”

Daehyun stared at him nervously, but nodded anyway. For the next few minutes, there was long, awkward silence broken only by the sounds of shuffling feet and water boiling.

Youngjae his heel, still staring down at his feet.

“How have you been?” he managed through all of the millions of other questions he wanted to ask.

Daehyun twiddled his fingers. “Fine, I guess.” The silence continued on, coming over the room like the chill of a ghost.

Youngjae audibly breathed out in relieve when the tea kettle started to whistle, and he turned all of his attention to pouring them both cups of tea.

“You’re not mad at me?” The words rushed out of the older boy's mouth as he grabbed at his mug, resisting the urge to hold it to his face for heat.

“For which part?” Youngjae bit out despite himself. “You running away and disappearing? Or you miraculously not being extremely hurt or injured after being directly in the face with a stone? Or the current event, where you’ve just now walked through an entire forest during a snowstorm?”

Daehyun shrunk into himself a bit, holding off answering by having a long sip of tea and ignoring the scalding sensation on his tongue.

“I’d advise you to save some of that for the next time you want to avoid my questions.”

Youngjae wasn’t entirely sure where this anger was stemming from, but it seemed to be flowing out of him all at once. He sat back down at the table, nursing his own mug out of nervous adrenaline.

Daehyun waited until Youngjae had the mug to his mouth before he began to speak.

“Do you remember the spring where we first met? By the really big tree?” He paused, squeezing his eyes real tight and begging Himchan for forgiveness in his head. “There’s something... in the water. Yongguk was the one who found out. We’d been exploring the forest the first time, and it was just there, being towered by this unnatural tree. Yongguk told Jongup and Junhong to lie down while he, Himchan, and I would unpack lunch. We just washed everything off in the spring without really thinking about it. We ate and everything was normal.

“But the moment we woke up, everything had changed. Jongup’s eyesight was horrible before. He could barely see past his nose and all of a sudden it was crystal clear. Himchan had a wrist injury and it suddenly was nonexistent. It seemed like every injury had completely disappeared. It was unreal. I tried to..injure myself..” Daehyun’s breath shuttered. “I tried to cut myself with a rock and nothing happened. I barely felt a pinch. I haven't aged since.”

Youngjae scoffed. “What are you trying to say? That you’re immortal or something?” Daehyun didn’t speak. “You’re kidding right? You’re play some kind of weird prank, right? I hope you know it’s not funny-”

‘I’m not joking, Youngjae.” Daehyun lifted his head, just slightly. “I don’t want to lie to you anymore, okay? Even if you never want to speak to me again, I had to tell the truth to somebody. Just once.”

“But why me?”

“Because I trust you! And you’ve been so nice to me for so long when you could have been told on me. Instead you decided to befriend me, and be so generous for reasons I could never understand. I’m not supposed to tell anybody, ever. I don’t even want to think about what will happen to me when I go back home. All I know is that I trust you and whatever decision you make enough to you all this.”

Again, silence settled in the room, hot and tense in contrast to the otherwise chill winter setting. Youngjae didn’t know what to do, especially with himself. He couldn’t even make out how he felt, just that it was getting overwhelmingly stronger. It felt like at any moment he would just burst.

“Take me to the spring.” He blurted, his voice a thousand times more confident than he felt. Daehyun’s eyes widened, obviously not expecting the conversation to take this route(and honestly, neither did Youngjae).

“It’s snowing buckets outside, the spring is probably well frozen at this point, why would you want to go there now?”

“I want to see it again for myself. Just once.” His voice had taken a desperate edge. “Please.”

Daehyun stared long and hard into the other’s manic eyes. He could already picture the amount of screaming and yelling he’d have to sit through if, or when, his brothers found out. They’ll never forgive me. They’ll definitely never trust me. They’ll most definitely try to relocate to somewhere far away from here.

“On the first day of summer, I’ll take you thereーno earlier, no later. Don’t try to go on your own either. Just trust me this one last time.”

“I’ll be home from college by then.” Youngjae muttered offhandedly, seeming to just be coming back from his moment of hysteria.

“I know that.”

“If I don’t see youー”

“But you will.”  There was no room left for arguments.

Youngjae heaved shakily, before finally allowing himself to sink into the chair in front of him. He looked down at his hands, only just picking up on how clammy they’d become. He laughed humorlessly, burying his face into his palms.

“I missed you so much.”