Final

Dragon Dance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Keeping a promise is not as easy done as said, Kun just got to realize that coming out to their parent’s was anything but easy. Gathering the right amount of courage to tell his parents that he is in love with no other but the boy they idolize so much, turns out to be far, far away.

 

Kun gets the chance to meet his supposed future wife before a formal home visit to any of the places, but they don’t interact right away.

 

They are brought together by the celebration of Zhong Qiu Jie* which is held at the Imperial Palace and it’s said the Emperor himself ordered to gather the important families within the state. Kun doesn’t expect any royal member to show face even though half of the families are of Emperor’s Army Generals.

 

His family is here as well as Ningning’s, but so is Sicheng’s and this due Yixing’s soon to happen marriage. Kun feels disgusted at how each family is connected to be present here, but this is a first in such an environment and he wants to enjoy.

 

It is not an event that keeps people glued to a table, is the kind of event that helps bonding connections or create them, reason for which the adults are too engrossed into political discussions around Go* matches or of such kind while the younger guests interact through various games or activities.

 

There is a lantern craft corner where guest can create lanterns, and a corner where between baskets and even full carts of this autumn’s harvest are displayed. There are tables with mooncakes and even fortune encrypted charms for those who think they can find a partnership like this.

 

In the same space, there is a stage like area, for a later music and dance show which Sicheng will enjoy as a guest this time.

 

“Not going to take part of the political discussions? Our dads are so into it.” Shicheng bumps his shoulder to Kun’s, and the latter smiles back. Sicheng looks so cute so neatly dressed and today’s green costume emphasizes so well his caramel complexion.

 

Sicheng is someone that doesn’t get unnoticed in this kind of events due to his history with master Geng and his various skills. What Kun learnt meanwhile is that the younger hates being in the centre of attention and gets uncomfortable with the praises, so he always tries to make himself disappear.

 

“Thank Chenle, he wants to try his talent on the lantern crafting, I know there’s a small possibility but no one wants him to set this place on fire” they both laugh at how Chenle has the gift to mysteriously ruin things.

 

“Unsurprisingly Renjun wants the same but he is too shy in crowded places. We’re just afraid we’ll lose him, there’s a fair amount of people in here” he explains as the younger boys already walk hand in hand towards the crafting area nonchalantly because no one will judge as an improper move “I want to hold your hand like this too” Sicheng whispers to Kun surveying the area for no one to be close enough to hear.

 

Kun offers a bitter smile back, his eyes bearing the ardour of ‘me too.’

 

 

Opposite to the craft area, from where he supervises Chenle and Renjun along Sicheng, he spots a group of young ladies whom you can easily sort by social class by the accessories they wear and the silk quality of their robes. They’re full of giggles, nudges and mild slaps probably related to how to find their pair.

 

He knows some faces, he’s seen them before. He can recognize Yixing’s fiancée, whose name he doesn’t recall at the moment, and next to her must be Ningning, dressed in dark-red and gold and suitable accessories.

 

Small round face with slightly pointed chin, small nose and quite big eyes, pale skin and long dark hair. She is beautiful, the ideal kind of beauty, she is also gracious in movements which shows she was highly educated even from afar.

 

Maybe supervising is too harsh of a word to describe that because of his younger brother he gets to spend time with Sicheng in a place he never asked to be in. He takes his eyes away from the girls and looks back into Shicheng’s which look heartbreakingly sad.

 

“It’s her,” he says smiling lightly, probably more for his own comfort.

 

“I know, it’s easier to tell the girls apart, the accessories never lie.”

 

“I did it, I can’t believe! Ge!!” Chenle basically roars for his success, gaining the attention of the two older brothers holding proudly his lantern while Renjun hugging him from behind smiling from ear to ear with all his teeth on display, you could actually count how many he has.

 

He congratulates his brother and so does Sicheng which now tries to unglue Renjun off, once again the younger’s eyes scream ‘I wish it could be this easy for us too’ and he can’t help but have his heart breaking just a bit more.

 

 

There is a huge show playing on the scene, performers of high scale putting on stage dance and tricks in synchrony with the music, there’s fire show included and last but not least worship of the Dragon.
 


Kun is engrossed in the show, his eyes sparkle, and he can’t help but wish his life would be just like the movements of these dancers, free and unlimited, but he knows behind the visual illusion of simplicity lays much sweat and hard work.

 

By the night they are invited out for a firework show under the fool moon’s light, the view it’s precious the sky burns in sparkly flames, and everyone’s eyes are up, except for the ladies which whisper prays to the fool moon to help them find ‘the one.’

 

 

And while everyone’s attention is up, he counts on his math to work and sneaks behind the people following nothing but his instincts until he reaches the hand he craved the entire night to hold and gripping the hold he drags it along to a safe dark corner.

 

He can’t see but he knows Sicheng is smiling now, a real happy smile and he envelopes his slimmer body circling his hands around it until he is close enough he can feel the surprised irregular breathe on his face.
 


“Don’t be afraid, they all look up they have to pray for a good harvest next year, for a husband, for fortune but our time is limited” he whispers to the other, while Sicheng’s hands have found each other resting at Kun’s lower back.

 

Kun cups Sicheng’s cheeks with his palms, and he know it’s pointless because it’s too dark in this corner, away from fireworks and away from the moon’s light, and he gets closer and closer until his lips meet Sicheng’s, and not as innocently Sicheng craves for more luring Kun to open his mouth, yet they’re careful, careful to not make any sounds any noises.

 

The crowd whizzes and it’s their signal, none wants to part away but a second later finds them next to their respective family.

 

“Kun I’ve been waiting for you the entire night, apologise for you having to meet Ningning through such a rushed event, I promise to make up and have you get to know better in a more private arrangement” the prime minister says nothing Kun wants to hear, but he bends politely and introduces himself to the one that he guessed earlier turns to be Ningning herself.

 

“My apologies sir, my little brother requests particular attention to such events” he excuses himself politely.

 

He and Ningning don’t get to exchange any more words but have their parents exchange probably one of the subjects they already touched today. He is too busy thinking of Sicheng.

 

 

 

 

 

 

They don’t get the courage to come forward to anyone, not even to their closest friends, and it finds them lying or finding any reason to go to the other’s house, luckily Chenle and Rejun would always be delighted for spending more time together.

 

“Kun, good to see you around, I see you and Sicheng are becoming really close lately” Sicheng and Renjun’s older brother Yixing beckons Kun to take a seat at his table.

 

Kun smiles, trying to wash away the hinder and the sweat that forms upon his back, trying his best to maintain a calm demeanour that could possibly unveil the actual motives he comes by so often.

 

“Yixing ge good to see you, I’ve been told you are taking a part of Great General’s commanding troupe, which is not that surprising considering how skilled you are.”

 

“Xiao Kun, you should know by now that skill is not the only thing that gets you to a position. You are older than Sicheng and I assume by your age you start to experience it on your skin.”

 

Kun is not sure if Yixing is hinting at the prime minister’s daughter, but it might be since the facial expression he put when Kun asked him about being in the commanding troupe. He feels quite disappointed over finding such reason put him on, considering how skilled he is, and Kun assumes he got even better from the last time he saw him fighting.

 

“You don’t look very content over having to commit to the prime minister’s daughter” Yixing continues and Kun swallows the knot on his throat, to which Yixing smiles warmly, “Sicheng told me, but don’t worry Ningning is very beautiful and kind at the same time.”

 

“Um we’ve been introduced in a rush at the Zhong Qiu Jie and-uh she’s invited to our house but I don’t think it’s quite a commitment…yet?” Kun walks on eggshells, he doesn’t know on which side Yixing might be standing and he definitely doesn’t know what exactly Sicheng told his brother nor how much he trusts him.

 

“Yet? You don’t seem convinced at all but you know, sometimes we don’t get to say a word and sometimes we shouldn’t just follow their rules.”

 

“But how do you feel ge?”

 

“About Yiyang? She’s by far the most beautiful and outstanding girl on the entire map, but she’s quite stubborn and has a strong personality. It’s not going to be easy to win over her heart.” By the way Yixing describes Yiyang, Kun realizes him and the older stand in different positions.

 

“So you’re ready to commit?”

 

“You could say so” Yixing chuckles.

 

There’s a sound of fast steps and as expected not long after the giggling Renjun and Chenle enter the room.

 

“Kun ge, you have to see this!” They beckon him to follow and he bows to Yixing, asking for permission to leave.

 

“Go, go you know they’re young and impatient” Yixing laughs off.

 

It’s already a given Sicheng always ends up messed in Renjun and Chenle’s game every time the youngsters play at their house, and as they have unlimited creativity to the extents they bring their little games today finds Sicheng with black fingers, partially burned and dusty face.

 

Kun jumps to help a dizzy and confused Sicheng gabbing a wet cloth to help him clean before furiously turning to the younger boys.

 

“What were you thinking? You put gunpowder into Sicheng’s grinding bowl, do you realize what you could do if it was more powder?”

 

Renjun and Chenle sit on their knees with raised arms with a decent amount of space between them as punishment.

 

“We’re sorry Sicheng ge” they repeat in unison.

 

“Sorry is not enough, I do understand you are young but that doesn’t give you an excuse to be irresponsible if you are told not to lay your hands on certain things is for your own good!” Kun continues to scold them until he makes sure they feel guilty enough and they understand the gravity of their actions.

 

Sicheng went to his room already and Kun follows leaving the two young boys in the same punishment position commanding them not to move an inch until he gets back.

 

In the room, Sicheng is bandaging carefully his fingers, blowing air from time to time to soothe the pain, he removes the bandages wanting to see to which extent his fingers were burned and seemingly is only a surface burn but painful enough he thinks.

 

“Does it hurt?” Kun asks holding his hand like it’s the most fragile and precious thing in the world. Sicheng shakes his head and the older boy gently kisses the burn on his fingers.

 

“Now it might hurt a bit more, your lips are warm” he hisses and Kun drags him into his arms, resting his chin on top of Sichen’s shoulder “but you are here so, it’s all good.”

 

He knows Sicheng adores his younger brother and gives in most of the times, he never scolds Renjun for anything. With the tips of his fingers he guides the younger’s chin, staring into those deer eyes, he traces kisses from his forehead down his nose and finally on his lips, lingering just for a bit longer.

 

There’s a sound of approaching steps so they part.

 

“But I will not be able to stay more, I have to teach Chenle a lesson, I have to leave earlier” Kun stands up but Sicheng stops him.

 

“Are you going to hit him?” the look Sicheng bears in his eyes kill Kun entirely.

 

“No, I never did besides, there’s no better punishment than separating him from Renjun for a while.”

 

“Don’t tell your parents please, they will heal soon” Sicheng pleads, and he will respect it, besides if his parents find out Chenle’s doing he will not get away without few slaps if only Kun wouldn’t know how bad his father’s palms hurt.

 

“Are you ok, why are the boys punished, they wouldn’t move an inch even if I tell them to” Yixing shows up probably he heard the noises earlier but couldn’t leave the spot.

 

“I’m fine ge, they’re kids, just a joke” Sicheng says bandaging his fingers back.

 

It is not what Kun wished for, but he has to take his leave earlier to teach Chenle a lesson.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The day of Ningning’s visit has come, and to say Kun is happy about it would be by far, an overstatement. He wishes the day would just go unnoticed, that it would already have happened and that he would not have to go through this. But life doesn’t always go according to his plans and he knows this much.

 

He dresses up and lets his mother comb his hair the way she likes to see him, she looks so excited and happy that Kun tries hard to keep still and shut not to say something that could ruin her mood, hurting his mother will not get him away from today.

 

The carriage transporting Ningning has arrived, all the court ladies and his parents are already out welcoming her into their house.

 

She wears white robes, contrasting her black long hair and at the same time matching her porcelain skin. She is indeed beautiful as Yixing said and she looks far more mature than her age, maybe she wears some makeup, Kun can’t tell.

 

They greet each other, her big brown eyes sparkle, Kun smiles back but feeling pitiful towards the entire situation, then proceed inside the house.

 

As for any other visit they all put up on a show, Kun hates it and the girl doesn’t seem at ease either, on the contrary, she seems stiff and smiling awkwardly.

 

“I’ve seen you have a beautiful garden, would it bother you to walk me along to see it?” she shyly addresses Kun, that couldn’t feel more grateful for her asking to go out and him finally being able to get a breath of fresh air.

 

 

“Would be my pleasure.”

 

He walks along Ningning around the smaller garden near the house, the paths are narrow and he allows Ningning to take the stoned part to help her keep her clothes as far from the muddy dust as possible.

 

He behaves like a true gentleman, he entertains her with different stories to tales from books, to his surprise she is more animated than she was inside and far more relaxed.

 

“How do you feel about all this?” she speaks up after Kun let silence take over their walk, they walked far away enough from the house, into the larger and less ornamented.

 

Kun knows the c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter