|OH SUNG WOO| The New Start Of The Past

WINGS

He was too sleepy to open his eyes, but the alarm was unmercifully ranging on his phone without stopping. He slowly opened his eyes, dismissed the alarm and stood up to stretch his arms. He walked to the windows and saw that the sun didn't even rise up. It was still a bit dark, but he could tell that if the sun goes up, it's a beautiful scenery.

A low voice of the door's cracking woke him up from his thinking. A middle aged woman stepped into the room.

- Oh, I thought you are still sleeping. Anyway... Good morning dear. Dress up and come down to eat. I'll wake your sister up. - she said, then she added - Don't worry about today, it'll be just like the school year before this.

-Good morning, mum. A moment and I'm ready. - he smiled.

As she stepped out of the room, he immediately started to search his school uniform as he was reminded why he woke up so early. When he found his clothes, he went to the bathroom to do his hair. It was a simple black mushroom hair, so it wasn't a big deal. He then dressed up to his uniform and went out of his room straight down on the stairs to the kitchen.

It was in one space with the living room and the dining room, and was really well equipped. On the dining table, the food was already served and his father was sitting on the left end of the table with a newspaper in his hands.

- Good morning Sung Woo-yah. Did you sleep well? - his father asked.

The truth is, he couldn't really sleep at night because he was too excited that he can finally meet his friends again, but he didn't want his father to worry about it.

- Yes, of course. - he simply said while he turned back from the kitchen and sat down on one of the chairs around the table.

- Are you hungry? - his father asked now without even looking at his son.

- Yes. - he shrugged. Sung Woo didn't really liked this kind of blank conversations.

- Aren't you worried about today? - the father said, still not looking at his son.

- Should I be worried? - he asked back, hoping this will end this almost awkward conversation with his father.

- Okay, okay, I'm just saying asking... - he said.

- Good morning! - greeted the girl with short, straight, black hair to her family as she ran down on the stairs.

- Mi Yeon-ah, don't run on the stairs, because you will fell and you will hurt yourself! - warned her the mother. - And sit down to eat the breakfast!

-Ahh... You are not fun... Okaaaay... I'm here... - She said as she went to sit down in front of Sung Woo.

- Then... Let's eat, finally...

As Sung Woo started to eat, somebody ranged on the door.

- I didn't know we waited someone. Can you please open the door Sung Woo? - the mother asked. Sung Woo stood up and quickly walked to the door. As he opened it, he saw his best friend impatiently standing in front of him full of sweat.

- Sun! Finally... I was running all the way here... Where is your bag? Bring it and go to school, we have a lot to do! The others are missing us for sure. Did you still not bring your bag? Hurry up! - he gabbled.

Sun... Nobody called him like this since the end of the last school year. It was a nickname his friends gave him in the first year of school.

Sung Woo just stand there for a few moments before he gestured to his friend to come in.

- Good to see you again after such a long time. We just started eating breakfast. Come and join us. - he smiled at his friend. - Okay, but we have to go after this.

He sat down the chair next to Sung Woo after he greeted the family.

- So you are Sung Woo's friend. Right? And your name is... - started a conversation the mother as she set the table for his son's friend.

- My name is Jung Dong Chan. - Introduced himself the newcomer as he too, started eating.

- Ah, yes, Dong Chan-ie! - said as she started to remember him. - Then, everybody, eat well!

After a few minutes, when everybody finished their foods, Sung Woo and Dong Chan picked up their bags and after Min Young, they set off and went to the bus stop. They didn't have to wait much, it arrived in 2 minutes and so they got on the bus and found 2 free seats next to each other. The two friends sat there while Min Young sat with her friends who were already in the back of the bus. Sung Woo and Dong Chan could hear them chatting and laughing as they told each other about their holiday. The two friends were just sitting there quietly all the way to the school. When the bus stopped they stood up and got off the bus.

- Let's find the others. - Suggested Dong Chan.

- Okay let's go.

The others of course meant their close friends from the class. Dong Chan and Sung Woo went to the parking lot, where one of their friends already waited for them.

- Dong Chan-ah, Sung Woo-yah! - he called out.

- Hyun Joon hyung! - they answered together.

- Long time no see. I missed you two, you know? - he said as he hugged his friends. - Did you already find the twins?

- No, we didn't. - Dong Chan responded.

- Then let's wait, I think they will be here soon. - as he said this, a big black car stopped right in front of them. As the two passengers get out of the vehicle, the three friends called out together.

- Jin Sun-ah, Jin Woon-ah!

- Aren't you too loud? - said one of the two.

He wore sunglasses and a black leather jacket. He had his black hair undercut the left side, leaving the right longer, and had two ear piercings on his left side, giving him a bad boy image.

- Jin Sun-ah, be a bit more understanding... We didn't see you for 2 months! - argued Dong Chan in a friendly way. - Anyway... Won't you be in trouble with this kind of clothes again?

Jin Sun left this question unanswered, as he gestured the others to go into the school building.

- Don't worry Jin Woon-ah, we didn't forget you. - comforted Sung Woo the shy one.

Jin Woon wore the uniforms properly and had a mushroom hair like Sung Woo's, but his was brown.

- i know, don't worry. Are you excited? I mean for the new school year... Honestly I'm a bit worried... I don't know if I can do good enough, like last year.

- I'm not really worried nor excited... And if you can't keep up your grades, we can just study together. - he gave Jin Woon a reassuring smile as they walked up on the stairs.

The classroom was like any other classroom in the school. Three column of desks, and in front of them was the teacher's table and the blackboard. Almost all of the class was here already, and everybody sat on their common seat, just like last year. Jin Sun and Hyun Joon sat next to each other in the back of the classroom on the side of the windows. Sung Woo and Dong Chan sat together right in front of them, and right behind Jin Woon, who sat with another classmate of his.

When they entered the classroom everyone's head turned to them, and they greeted the five newcomers. They greeted back and went to their seats to put their backpacks down. Then Dong Chan, Sung Woo and Jin Woon went to Hyun Joon and Jin Sun's desk.

- Okay. Who wants to start? - asked the oldest, Hyun Joon.

- Let's start with the youngest. - suggested Sung Woo, the second oldest who was in the same age as Dong Chan. As he said that, they looked at the twins. - Sorry but... Which one of you...

- Him. - Said Jin Sun frustrated as he pointed at his brother.

- Ahh... I promise I will never forget again... - Said Sung Woo. - Then, let's start. Tell us what happened, Jin Woon-ah.

- Oh... Nothing interesting really... I went to the USA for one month to our grandparents to Florida... - Said the youngest boringly.

- Wait... How is that not interesting? - interrupted Dong Chan. - All I did in the summer was playing video games...

- Oh, so we just tell our stories while interrupting the other? I like it. - laughed Jin Sun. - I just listened to music all summer because I was in detention at home.

- Is this a competition on which one of us had the worse summer? - chuckled Hyun Joon. - I had to go to my father and his new family. I bet you can't even imagine how annoying his present wife is.

- But at least you could leave the house without getting into trouble! - argued Jin Sun. - You know how boring it is to be in Florida? It was so hot and I couldn't even talk to anyone! - disagreed Jin Woon.

And just like this, a never ending argument started and it really looked like it has no end, when Hyun Joon suddenly stopped and curiously looked up at Sung Woo.

- And you? What happened with you? - And with this question the argument ended and everyone looked at Sung Woo.

- Nothing. Really. I just did what I used to do. Reading a book, singing etc... You know I'm not really an interesting person... - He laughed awkwardly.

- Sung Woo-yah... - Said the oldest with serious expression on his face.

-... What?

- You... You maybe didn't win the most terrible summer competition, but you definitely has no rival in the most boring summer competition... - Said Hyun Joon, while him and the others and even Sung Woo, too started to laugh so hard they barely could breathe.

The laughing immediately died down as the room teacher stepped into the classroom with a stranger.

- Everyone! Find your seats, sit down and be quiet! - he said with his loud voice.

- Look... He is already in a bad temper... - Somebody whispered in the class as everyone sat down.

- Class President..? - Looked around the teacher, hoping to find the person he was looking for.

A boy from the class stood up and reported: - In the name of class 9, good morning. Nobody is absent.

- Good morning, everyone. I will now start the school year with a few words. - said the teacher. - You all worked hard last year, well... Almos all of you... - he now looked at a few students including Jin Sun - And as you know, this is the last year of middle school. Our ways are separated from the next summer. You will have to take big steps for your future from now on. This year is especially important, because high schools will choose you by your grades. The most important for you is to have your goal. To have your dream. To have something to achieve. Because then, you will do your duties not because you have to but because you have something you want to reach no matter what. I know that in this age most of you don't really know what profession you will want to have. To prepare you for all of this, I brought somebody with myself. Baek Won Ho - he pointed to the man next to himself - is a consultant who will help you to choose a profession. He will hold a presentation and you can talk to him personally after that. You can also fix an appointment with him so you can discuss it in your family's present. Baek Won Ho-sshi, you may start. - turned the teacher to the consulting.

- Thank you. - said the man to the homeroom teacher, then he turned to the class - Just like you already know, my name is Baek Won Ho, and my job is to help the teenagers find their right way. Every day I walk on the streets, I'm seeing hopeless youngsters, who are doing their daily routine without end. They wake up, have breakfast, go to school, have lunch, go home, study, have dinner and go to sleep. They do what they have to. They have no goal. And maybe they have no dream. Or if they have a dream, they don't believe it can be real. They don't believe in themselves. I bet, you are like this, too. - a few students nodded in agreement - And here comes me. I'm helping all of these hopeless teenagers. I want to help you. You are still young, and you can be anything you want. Even if it seems impossible, you can do anything. You can make your dream to be real. You need to have inspiration. You just need to have something to reach. I'm here exactly because of this. I brought some tests with myself. You just have to fill these. You don't have to write down your names. You will all have a number, so you don't have to be afraid from answering honestly. - he reached for the papers - Don't open it until I say to. - instructed the students, while he started to give out the papers. - There's small paper in each test, where your number is written to. Keep that, so you won't forget it. Put your bags on the middle of the desks, so none of you can peek at the others. When you finished, close the test, and sit quietly while the others are writing. You will have 120 minutes. Your results will come out next week. Your teacher will be given envelopes with each of your numbers written on it, and he will give those out to you. The envelopes will contain your detailed result. It will also have the top 25 perfect professions for you. - finished the informing Baek Won Ho as every test was given out.

The test contained 12 pages and 100 questions. It was very detailed, and most of the questions was pretty interesting, so all of them finished it in time. The papers were given in by everyone, so the homeroom teacher and Baek Won Ho consulted about the process of getting the results while the students started chatting about the test.

- It was actually pretty interesting. - stated Dong Chan.

- It wasn't as boring as I expected it would be... - Shared Jin Sun his own thoughts.

- I'm so excited to have the results... - admitted Jin Woon.

- Yes, I really hope I will have lawyer in the top 25! -said Hyun Joon

Sung Woo just sat quietly hoping that his friends won't ask anything from him.

- Okay, quiet please! - lowered the noise of the class the teacher. - For those who want to talk to the consultant :up your hands!

Baek Won Ho wasn't surprised when he saw all of the students' hands up.

- I think we will do it in name order, then. Can I have the class name list, please? - he asked from the teacher, and then he turned to the class - You don't have to bring anything with you. Let's start. The first is... Ahn Hyun Joon. Please follow me.

Hyun Joon stood up and went out of the classroom after Baek Won Ho. About 10 minutes later, he came back and the next person went out.

- What did he say? - Asked Jin Sun from Hyun Joon.

- He asked a few questions from the test, and asked if is there any professions my parents want me to have, or if I want to have a specific profession. I said lawyer, and he asked a few questions about it, and he said that if I really want this, than I will make it and he told me about a few schools which I should choose from if I want to go to a top university.

- Interesting... - Said Dong Chan in front of them turning around, as he heard all of the conversation.

And just like that, Dong Chan, Jin Sun and Jin Woon too were already talking with the consultant, and then, Sung Woo was next.

He stood up, walked out of the classroom, and saw Baek Won Ho who was in front of an empty little room waiting for the student. They went into the room, and sat down to a little table in front of each other.

- So, Sung Woo... Do you have any plans for the future?

- Yes... No... I mean... My family has plans for me... And until now, I thought I wanted that too... But... I had to realize I've never thought of it as a dream or as a goal of mine.

- I see... And what is your family's plans for you?

- They want me to be a doctor after my father and mother.

- Doctor family?

- Kind of... But I just don't think of this dream as a dream of mine. I can't.

-So you don't have any idea on what you want?

- No, I don't.

- But you have idea of what you don't want. Let's start from here. What kind of profession would you don't like to have?

- I don't want to have a boring job. Just like doctor... Won't it become boring after a while? Checking up on people, and once in a while finding a serious disease which I can't help on... And seeing how somebody have to die because I can't help on them. My only starting point is that I want to have a profession which I really like to do, and that I won't be sick of.

- Do you have any hobbies that you do for more than 1 year at least 5 times a week?

- Yes. I like playing music instruments, and singing. And honestly... I started writing poems a while ago...

- Did you ever thought about becoming a musician?

- A... What? Musician? But there's not much chance to succeed as a musician... Is there? And if I give it up, because I can't do it? What will I do with just a musician profession?

- That's what I was talking about... If you really want something, you WILL do it. If you want to become a musician, you will. It's up to you. Just think about this, until the detailed result of the test comes out. We will then consulate again about that. We will take all 25 professions into account.

- That would really help. Thank you for your help.

- It's really nothing... It's my job. - he smiled.

They talked for a few minutes before Sung Woo went back to the classroom, and sat on his seat. His friends immediately started questioning him, and now, he didn't feel bad talking about this. He didn't told every detail about what happened in that small room, but he told the main things. 

- Wow. Musician? - Dong Chan asked.

- Even I'm surprised too... - Said Jin Sun.

- I thought he would say doctor or lawyer or something like this... But musician... It's surprising... And what do you think about this?

- I don't know. I will decide it later. I still have time when the test results are coming out. I will think until then. Just do not tell this to anyone. But now let's go and eat something. - said Sung Woo as he put his right hand on his growling stomach.

And just like that, they went to the cafeteria.

- The year starter food is always the best! - Stated Dong Chan as he put a good size of kimchi on his plate.

- Of course. - agreed Hyun Joon.

- The food before Christmas is better I think. - said Jin Sun.

- Yes, because if we agree in something than you are always the one who disagree. - argued his brother, Jin Woon.

- Let him be... You know how rebellious he is. - smiled Hyun Joon at them.

- Hyung, you are like a big brother to all of us. - said Sung Woo.

- Oh, are you here, too? - laughed Hyun Joon.

- Look, there is free space. - pointed to an almost empty table Dong Chan.

There were 4 other students at that table, one boy and three girls. The five friends sat down next to them, and started to eat while chatting with each other. Sung Woo tried to pay attention to his friends, but on his left side the four schoolmates' conversation was a lot more interesting for him.

- Did you hear about the new company? - asked one of the girls.

- Which one? - asked back the boy.

- Do you mean RP, Eun Ji-yah? - asked another girl, revealing the name of the first.

- Yes. Ga Young-ah, did you hear about it? - asked Eun Ji from the fourth girl, who didn't spoke up until then.

- Yes, but I didn't hear the details. - answered Ga Young.

- RP Entertainment. The CEO is Robert Park, the most popular singer in Korea in the '80s before he suddenly disappeared. Nobody knew where he went nor why did he went. Until now nobody heard anything about him. He went to a prestigious university in the USA, and took business classes along with music. He's got rich and know opening his own company and searching for trainees. I even heard that because of the sudden popularity, more applicant will be audited than at an ordinary SM audition! I heard that it's because it has the best of everything. The best vocal instructor, dance instructor, manager, etc., and the song producers for their first artist or group will be the most popular ones, such as Teddy! I don't know how did he do it... I heard the first artist or group has two ways. One: because of the quality, he/she/they will be a top artist/group in a few years. Two: because of the too big expectations, the audience will be disappointed because they expected better music, and it will be a big failure. - informed the others Eun Ji.

- I don't think failure has any chance. If the staff is first classed, the first artist or group will surely succeed. - shared his thoughts the boy.

- Sung Woo!! - shouted Jin Sun.

- Hm? What's your problem? Why are you so loud? - Asked Sung Woo while he felt the people's eyes on himself, because of the loud voice of Jin Sun.

- It's not he first time he called for you. - Hyun Joon said calmly, hiding his smile. - I just asked what do you think about going to the cinema tomorrow afternoon.

- Oh, okay, I will ask my parents. - responded Sung Woo finally.

And the conversation continued on, but Sung Woo still couldn’t pay any attention. His thoughts were still about the three girls and the boy’s chatting. But most importantly, about RP Entertainment. After they finished their meals, they went back to the classroom and sat in their seats. The class begun, but Sung Woo was still lost in his thoughts.

And just like that, the time flew by, and the day soon ended. “RP Entertainment… The only thing I do because I love it, is singing. And if I could do it for my whole life…” – thought Sung Woo when he and Dong Chan stepped out of the school – “I would always do what I want and like. And it wouldn’t be boring. The concerts, the fan meetings, being in variety shows, doing interviews and maybe acting, too. Life would never stop around me. Meeting with celebrities… Even if I just think of all this, my heart is racing.” – he stopped walking, as they reached the bus stop – “It will be very hard, but is there anything that isn’t? I will just work hard for that. “ – he didn’t even notice that he started to think in future tense.

Suddenly he felt a poke on his right shoulder. He turned his head and saw his best friend staring at him.

- What are you thinking about? Did you even pay attention to what I said before? – asked Dong Chan.

- Of course, I did! – lied Sung Woo.

- Then? What did I say?

- You… You talked about the conversation you had with Baek Won Ho.

- Liar… - said Dong Chan frustrated. – I didn’t talk about anything.

- Ahh… I’m sorry…  - apologized Sung Woo.

Dong Chan wanted to say something but his friend didn’t let him ad the bus arrived. – Never mind. Here’s the bus.

They got on the bus and didn’t talked to each other all the way. Sung Woo was deep in his thoughts once again, and Dong Chan was playing with his phone. When the bus stopped near Sung Woo’s house, he told his friend goodbye, as he got off the bus. Sung Woo waited for the bus to depart, and then he went home.

His parents still weren’t there, but his sister was. Mi Young was sitting on the sofa with her laptop in her hands.

- Hi, sister. How was your day? – asked Sung Woo.

- Uh… Hi. The first day is always boring. – said his sister as he looked up from the laptop. – And yours? Was there anything special?

- A consultant came in and did some test with us about our future profession. And after that, he talked to each of us personally.

- I see… And what did he say?

He didn’t want her sister to know about the conversation he had with the consultant as he was afraid if his sister would accidentally tell that to their parents.

- Uhm… Nothing interesting… What are you reading? – he changed the subject while pointing at the laptop in his sister’s hands as he sat down next to her.

- Just looking for a university. – she said as she tried to quickly close the laptop.

- Are you hiding something? – Sung Woo asked suspiciously.

- No, it’s really nothing… - she said while looking in another direction. “She was always a bad liar… “ – he thought.

Mi Young saw that his brother didn’t believe her, so she took a deep breath and looked in her brother’s eyes seriously.

- Promise me you won’t tell this to mom and dad… - she said finally.

- I won’t. – he promised. Mi Young opened her laptop and gave it to her brother. – Universities… Abroad? – he asked as he looked up at his sister. – Will you go abroad to study? – Sung Woo’s expression was unreadable sometimes just like now, so his sister just nodded, afraid of the reaction. – Mi Young-ah… It’s fantastic! – he said hiding his wild smile with his hand.

- You… You really think so..? – She asked relieved, but still a bit nervously.

- Of course! I knew you have a bright future. I knew from the moment I was born. – he said, praising his sister, who laughingly tried to hide her tears with relief. – Tell me everything about this.

- Okay. So… Where should I start? – she said as she tried to collect her thoughts. – You know this is my last year of high school and it’s time to choose university or college. My homeroom teacher showed me an article from an American press about universities. You know I was an exchange student in the USA for one school year 2 years ago. And in the article were lists of top American universities by profession. My homeroom teacher said that I should at least try to send in an application form to a few American universities. And… I will do that. I will do that until I’m not succeeding to enroll to one of them. – she explained excitedly – But… I don’t know how to tell this to our parents… Their heart will break if they can’t see me for such a long time. And after I graduate from the university, I’m not planning on coming back to Korea. – finished Mi Young.

- If you really want to do it, then let’s do it. You won’t have another choice later on. Don’t worry, they will have me here. – But as he said that, he immediately had compunction and regret saying that. – I’m going to my room. I got really sleepy. Good luck with that. – said Sung Woo, pointing to the laptop on the table as he stood up and went to his room.

He lied down on the bed and closed his eyes. “No… I can’t do that. I just can’t be that selfish. If Mi Young is going abroad, than my parents will only have me. I can’t leave them alone. I will just do what they want. I will just be then… a doctor…” – he thought while squeezing his eyes as a tear dropped down on his face. As he realized that, he opened his eyes big, and sat up.

– What am I doing? – he asked from himself while violently rubbing his eyes. – This isn’t even important. Right? I just dreamed too big. It was stupid from me. I can’t ruin my life with this kind of stupid dreams. – he tried to gain himself over.

He stood up, picked up some clothes and a towel and closed the bathroom door behind himself. He took a hot shower, then dressed up and went to his bed in an attempt to sleep, but his thoughts didn’t let him. He just lied on the bed and when his the door opened, he closed his eyes and pretended to sleep.

- He is sleeping. – He heard his mother’s whisper. – Don’t wake him up. We will talk to him tomorrow.

And with this, the door closed. His mother probably talked to his father, and honestly he didn’t want to talk to them now.

He picked up his earphones, mobile, a pencil and a notebook that he would always hide in the back of his bedside table. He touched the play button on his phone and started writing in his notebook.

a/n: Word counter: 4895 Such a long chapter. If you found it boring, I promise it will be better, just wait until the next one!