On Rainy Days

On Rainy Days

Title: On Rainy Days

Author: Flowery

Pairing: KiWoon

Warning: BoyxBoy love. Enough said.

Summary: Dongwoon hates rain. Kikwang brings rain.

Author’s Note: It’s somewhat failure, I wrote this when I was feeling depressed and tired D: WHAT KIND OF A STORY IS THIS???

 

 

***

 

 

Dongwoon always hates rain because it always bring bad luck to him.

His alarm had refused to wake him up this morning, just when it’s an important day to him. He got up late, screaming like crazy to himself as Dongwoon jumped from the bed, dressed poorly for the job interview—the important job interview, the one he’s been dreaming for—then waving his hand frantically for any cabs in the hard rain but no one paid attention to him. In the end, Dongwoon ran all the way—which got him soaking wet, earning very dishonorable looks from his interviewer—to his dream office.

The interview went short, as if really short, not even ten minutes. One of the interviewer gave him a comforting smile as he said that Dongwoon would be given the result soon enough.

He felt like a piece of crap.

To make it worse, Dongwoon even forgot to bring his wallet.

He had lost count of how many cursing slipped through his mouth this morning. Dongwoon leaned his back against the cold wall outside the building, waiting for the rain to subside, but it didn’t look like it would stop any moment. So he grabbed his phone and tried to call Doojoon, his neighbor, to ask for help—preferably bringing him an umbrella or even to pick him up, whichever’s fine—when he realized his battery was low.

Dongwoon must’ve forgotten to charge it last night and before he even able to dial Doojoon’s number, the phone died.

He really, really hates the freaking rain.

Incoherent self loathing curse flew from his mouth and Dongwoon facepalmed agitatedly. It seems like there’s no other way but to wait for the rain to stop...

Dongwoon sighed and noticed that there were also few people who stopped by the building to shelter themselves. His eyes lingered to a high school girl who kept on staring and typing on her phone, he could probably borrow hers to call Doojoon. Dongwoon was still battling with his inner self whether or not should he talk to the girl, when suddenly he felt a light pat on his shoulder.

The male turned his head and he found another male was staring at him innocently. Dongwoon blinked.

“Yes?”

The male looked down. He bit his lip shyly before slowly handing Dongwoon his phone. Again, Dongwoon blinked.

“This...?”

Dongwoon wasn’t really sure what the intention was. But what he realized, was that the male was pretty. Too pretty, in fact. And his innocent stare right into Dongwoon’s eyes...it was, a bit, just a tiny bit, making him drunk.

The male was still silent and Dongwoon slowly pushed his offer, the phone away. The former looked surprised and he shook his head vigorously before shoving the phone into Dongwoon’s hand. He made a gesture with his thumb and little finger, as if to tell Dongwoon to use the phone to call.

“You mean...I can call my friend with your phone?”

It seemed like the male was satisfied with the reply and he nodded.

Dongwoon only blinked.

Are we playing ‘Guess What’s On My Mind?’

The taller male stared blankly at the phone. Well, it won’t hurt to make one phone call. After all, he really needs to call Doojoon to pick him up. He has a car, surely he won’t mind. Dongwoon pondered about it for another moment before looking up. He opened his mouth to say something, but the pretty male was nowhere to be found.

Dongwoon gasped in shock and looked around. The rain was still pouring and the pretty male had disappeared. He frowned in curiosity.

Strange things happen when it rains.

 

 

***

 

 

Dongwoon wondered if it was because of the rainy season. He got another call, another job interview from another company, but he was too lazy to go—he was still scarred from the last interview. Doojoon managed to convince him to go, after all he needed the money, there are bills to pay, and his phone wasn’t low on battery yet—Doojoon double checked it.

The weather was nice but as soon as he arrived at the building, it suddenly rained hard without permission and Dongwoon smacked himself, whining mentally why he didn’t bring any umbrellain the first place. He’s finally able to forgive himself after a self loathing moment. As long as he brought his wallet, he’s gonna be okay.

The interview went nice, Dongwoon was able to answer all questions given to him with such confidence, and even though it wasn’t his dream job, but the payment was okay. They told him they would give him the result as soon as possible.

Dongwoon left the building and his eyes widened at the weather. The rain got even harder, but there was no wind. People were walking with their umbrellas and he wondered if he could run to the nearest convenience store to get one. Still battling with his inner self whether to go or not, he then felt a light tap on his shoulder. Dongwoon turned his head, and again, his eyes widened at the sight of the pretty male—yes, he unconsciously gave the mysterious person a nickname.

The pretty male smiled and handed him a beautiful, transparent umbrella.

“H—hey,” Dongwoon breathed and this time, his heart skipped a beat.

He only received a smile as a reply and an umbrella was shoved into his hand.

“Ah! Wait, your phone—“, Dongwoon reached to his pockets in panic, trying to find the phone that the pretty male gave lent him the other day. He even became more panic when he realized that he had left it in the apartment. “I’m sorry, I didn’t seem to—“

Dongwoon blinked and looked around frantically. The pretty male had again disappeared on their second meeting. He facepalmed.

Not again.

 

 

***

 

 

Doojoon had been staring a bit weird at Dongwoon lately. He asked why the younger male got two phones and always brings an umbrella around with him. Umbrella, he could understand, but two phones? And he’s not even working. At least not yet. How could he afford another phone, then?

Dongwoon ignored his Hyung’s questions and ever since their second meeting, he couldn’t stop thinking about the pretty male. He has to see him again to return the phone and the umbrella. Soon. Dongwoon’s been searching all over the first and the second place they met, even waiting for almost an hour, wishing for luck, but no sight of the pretty male. Maybe at that time he was just passing by? It could be pure coincidence.

He glanced at his watch and sighed. Maybe he should just go home today and watch the soccer match with Doojoon. The latter had been whining about it forever, why Dongwoon would never accompany him to watch soccer. It’s not that he hated it, he’s just not a big fan of soccer. Perhaps that’s what happened when two single guys live next to each other. The pouring rain even got harder, as if to say it agrees and grants that he should go and stay at home.

Dongwoon decided he would take the train today. He waited patiently behind the white line and puffed his cheeks in slight annoyance. The train finally came and it’s still not after work hours yet, so it wasn’t really crowded. Dongwoon gazed lazily outside the train as it moved, watching the view for a while, and his eyes suddenly caught a figure through the reflection of the window.

He held his breath.

Could it be?

The male was standing across Dongwoon, back facing him. He’s not sure if it was the same person who lent him his phone and umbrella from behind. After all, they’ve only met for just a few seconds.

The train had already arrived at the next station, but it’s still not Dongwoon’s destination yet. As the door opened, the male looked like he’s getting off. Dongwoon only stared dumbly before his mind screamed at him to do something, and he dashed out of the train in the last ten seconds just before the door was closing, reaching out to the figure. He pulled the person to face him, and his heart almost dropped dead.

Those innocent eyes...

It was definitely the pretty male.

 

 

***

 

 

This time, Dongwoon didn’t let go. He managed to drag the pretty male to the nearest cafe—and they were safe from the mean rain, since he brought the umbrella. Suddenly he doesn’t hate the rain that much anymore. Maybe,for now.

“I’ll have a milk coffee,” Dongwoon said to the waitress. “How about you?”

The pretty male looked momentarily to the menu before pointing at a picture. He then looked up to the waitress.

She looked annoyed but nodded anyway. “Special latte it is, then.” After scribbling it in her note, she took off.

The pretty male looked down sheepishly, he seemed like avoiding Dongwoon’s gaze too much. On the other hand, Dongwoon couldn’t stop staring at the pretty male, because he’s just so pretty, it left him speechless. Dongwoon frowned to himself, thinking what kind of topic he should start to melt the awkwardness.

...a self introduction?

“I’m Son Dongwoon,” Dongwoon introduced himself. “May I know your name?”

The pretty male brought a hand to his mouth, looking hesitant.

“...can you talk?”

He looked ashamed and shook his head, gaze back at the table, finding the color of it was interesting.

Dongwoon mentally smacked himself and he puffed his cheeks. Suddenly an idea popped in his mind. He quickly grabbed his phone and typed something there. He then put the phone in front of the pretty male. Dongwoon could see small smile crept to the male’s face.

May I know your name? ^^

His phone was put back again in front of him and Dongwoon grabbed it.

Lee Kikwang.

“Kikwang... Kiki,” Dongwoon whispered and smiled. “Nice to meet you, Kiki.”

Kikwang blinked before a smiled bloomed beautifully on his face. Dongwoon’s jaw dropped involuntarily.

Few minutes after that, it stopped raining.

 

 

***

 

 

Kikwang was mute. But he understood the words that Dongwoon tried to say. It’s like a new bizarre yet delightful sensation, to know more about Kikwang. They communicate through text messages when they’re separated and through scribbling on papers when they’re together.

Dongwoon had never felt this fond of someone. He liked the way Kikwang stared at him, he liked the way Kikwang tilted his head and listen to his stories—more like rambling, actually. But most of all, he liked Kikwang the most when the male curved his lips into a smile, because he even looked more beautiful. Too beautiful, Dongwoon’s heart almost couldn’t take it.

The taller male basically revealed himself everything to the pretty male, but Kikwang still didn’t talk much about himself. Dongwoon didn’t even know where he lives, what color does he like, does he have family, and so on. But it doesn’t matter, at least for now, because the more he sees Kikwang, the more he wants to be with him. He doesn’t care if Kikwang’s not opening himself. Dongwoon just wants to protect him, he wants to be someone who can mean anything to Kikwang.

It was another rainy day when they decided to take the train.

Dongwoon’s been taking trains often than cabs lately. He likes it because it brings memories of their first meeting, but of course he never told Kikwang that. And Kikwang doesn’t like cabs, because he doesn’t want Dongwoon to know where he lives just yet. So they always ended up taking trains and got separated in the station.

He had another job interview that day, and Dongwoon has been fully prepared mentally and physically. Today, even if the rain starts pouring suddenly, he already brought an umbrella.

The train wasn’t crowded, but Dongwoon didn’t feel like taking a seat, so he stood up and grabbed the hand rail. Kikwang looked at the seat before following Dongwoon to do the same. The latter arched his brows unexpectantly and Kikwang shook his head. Usually in a public transportation like this they never really communicate since it’s hard to text message and scribbling on a piece of paper, so they drowned in silence.

Kikwang always got off first.

Dongwoon would smile and ruffled Kikwang’s head affectionately before wishing him a safe trip home.

But that day, Dongwoon didn’t know why he did the thing that he did. He pulled Kikwang closer and kissed him gently on the lips. It wasn’t a long kiss. It was probably the fastest kiss Dongwoon has ever had, but the sensation was enough to crush the world and him along with it. Something was dancing in his stomach, and the feeling was strange. Dongwoon had never felt like this before, his mind was hazy and his heart pounded even faster.

As he looked into Kikwang’s innocent eyes, Dongwoon got a feeling.

Maybe, he knows what this feeling is.

 

 

***

 

 

Dongwoon must be crazy.

He must be crazy because he couldn’t stop smiling everytime he remembered the moment at the train. He must be crazy because he would punch the air in excitement, alone, in his apartment everytime he remembered that he had kissed the pretty male. He must be crazy because he’s not settled yet, but he’s been thinking of the possibility of living together with Kikwang. And last, he must be crazy, for buying a couple rings—a cheap couple rings that he found at the night market—to...propose? Dongwoon didn’t know what to do with the ring, he’s just gonna give it to Kikwang nevertheless.

But Kikwang hadn’t returned his texts.

And it would be pointless to call him, since Kikwang wouldn’t be able to voice out anyway.

So Dongwoon sent him a lot, really a lot of text messages. Kikwang didn’t reply and helplessly Dongwoon tried to call him, begging him to just pick up the phone and cleared his throat—anything to let him know that he’s still alive. The text messages were various from short to even long paragraphs—he was desperately looking for the pretty male.

Sighing in defeat, he thought of what he did to make Kikwang changed like this, and he sent a final text.

Do you hate me?

Dongwoon thought for other long sentences but in the end, he sent it. He sprawled on the bed, gaze at the ceiling and pressed the back of his hand to his forehead. Suddenly his phone vibrated and Dongwoon quickly browsed his inbox. Kikwang had replied.

No...

He screamed in relief and thanked God, at least Kikwang’s safe and sound and...alive?

But Dongwoon was confused. Why, then? He wanted to send incoherent rambling to Kikwang, to let him know that he’s suffering for not being able to see him, to let him know that Dongwoon misses him a lot like, terribly misses him, to let him know that he...well, if he’s gonna jot it all down, it would be an endless list. He fell asleep that night, with confusion and sadness.

The next morning, Dongwoon snapped awake by his loud ringtone and his hand immediately searched for his phone. He got up slowly and stared annoyingly at the screen, it was an anonymous call. Dongwoon sleepily picked it up and mumbled, “Hello?”

“...Son Dongwoon?”

Dongwoon’s eyes wide opened and he sat up straight right away. “Yes?”

“...this is Yoseob, Kikwang’s cousin. Can we meet?”

 

 

***

 

 

It was just a short phone call, Yoseob—the guy who claimed to be Kikwang’s cousin—asked where does he live and that he’s coming over to see him. Dongwoon hesitantly agreed, he’s not sure if the guy was lying, but he did remember Kikwang told him he has one close relative. Dongwoon never asked the name though. It was probably this Yoseob.

He heard impatient knocking on his door and Dongwoon rushed to open it, only to find a breathless Doojoon standing in front of his door. “Hyung?”

“Hottie. Downstairs. Near the basketball court.”

“What?”, Dongwoon frowned and leaned forward to see the hottie that Doojoon was talking about. Their apartment was located on the second floor. He glanced down and saw a male in a white jacket, and he was holding something—Kikwang’s umbrella. Yoseob seemed to dial his phone and two seconds later, Dongwoon’s phone rang loudly.

Doojoon gazed at the male who was holding the phone to his ears, and back at Dongwoon with his eyes widened.

“It’s not like what you think.”

“I saw him first! He’s mine!”

“I promised it’s not like what you think,” Dongwoon rolled his eyes and switched his phone into silent mode. “Sorry, Hyung. Gotta go.”

“Give me his number later,” Doojoon told Dongwoon with a serious look and the latter threw him two thumbs up.

Dongwoon went inside to grab his jacket and locked his apartment—Doojoon even still asked him if the hottie likes soccer—before going downstairs to meet Yoseob. Yoseob looked at him and they both smiled. “Yoseob-ah?”

“...you’re Son Dongwoon?”

“Yeah?”

Yoseob looked flabbergasted. “You’re...oh my God. You’re...handsome. You’re...tall.”

“Um...thanks?”

“No, I mean... Ugh, nevermind.”

Dongwoon smiled awkwardly and Yoseob looked away. “So, uh... Wanna have a cup of coffee? I know a nice coffee shop near here...”

“I think it’s better if you come with me, I wanna show you something,” Yoseob said and Dongwoon agreed.

They started walking together and completely drowned in awkward silence. After a few minutes of not talking, Dongwoon thought he should probably start a conversation. So he did. Dongwoon cleared his throat softly.

“You’re... Kikwang’s cousin, right?”

Yoseob nodded. “What do you wanna know about him?”

Dongwoon was taken aback by his bluntness and his pace got slower for a bit, before catching up with Yoseob again. “Everything.”

“Why?”

“Why? Because I care about him.”

“...”

“Tell me about his parents.”

“Died. In a car crash. When he was six. Kikwang was the only survivor.”

Dongwoon let out a gasp. “I’m—I’m sorry.”

Yoseob shrugged. “Don’t be. I think you deserve to know. Ever since the accident, he’s been mute. He’s been refusing to talk. Even at school he got bullied a lot. Those vicious bastards wondered why Kikwang wouldn’t even let a voice out—not even a scream.”

Dongwoon felt a pang. “So he...wasn’t born like that? He could actually talk?”

“Yeah. But I wonder if he still remembers how to talk...it’s been a really long time.”

The taller male of the two brought a hand to his mouth, wiping something that’s not even there. Now the feeling of wanting to protect Kikwang becomes even bigger. But he kinds of understand Kikwang’s feeling...his parents too, had died, and ever since then, he’s been struggling so hard for his own life. Dongwoon’s mother deceased first because of an illness, and a few years after, his father went to reunite with his mother in heaven.

“My parents also died in the car crash...but I got luckier than Kikwang, I got adopted by foster parents. I’m a Yang Yoseob right now. Thankfully they’re really nice.”

“I see.”

They were still walking together side by side. The thunder rumbled and Dongwoon sighed, he knew he should just have brought the umbrella. Well he could always borrow—or buy one.

“Kikwang...”, Yoseob started and glanced at the darkened sky. “Has a tendency to feel...unworthy of himself.”

Dongwoon frowned, eyes kept fixing on Yoseob.

“I think he’s just traumatized...since everyone likes to make fun of him. And no one would want to be his friends, either. And he...thought I hate him since the accident,” Yoseob slowly said, eyes full of emotions. “Kikwang pabo. The accident was not his fault. He should stop closing himself so bad. He’s my only relative, how could I hate him?”

He suddenly turned to Dongwoon.

“What did you do to Kikwang?”

Dongwoon looked surprised. “Me? What...did I do?”

“I waited for him at the apartment last week. We promised to watch movies together. But when he got home...he was crying. I asked him what’s wrong, but...he just shook his head and smiled,” Yoseob stared at him seriously. “Did you do something to make him sad? To make him feel unworthy?”

Dongwoon was really confused. He opened his mouth and tried to say something, his mind went flashback a week ago, when they last met, he was having a job interview and then he met Kikwang, and then they had lunch, and then they took the train together...and then Dongwoon kissed him. It stunned him like an electricity.

I kissed him.

He failed to utter something, not even a word, and suddenly Yoseob had stopped walking. They’ve arrived at a calm environment, Dongwoon had never been here before, but he knew the place. In front of them was a building—it’s a two floor apartment, a small type one, probably the same type of Dongwoon’s, but this one looked even smaller.

“We’re here,” Yoseob mumbled and they could hear the thunder rolled again above them. “It’s gonna rain soon.”

Dongwoon followed Yoseob to go upstairs and stopped at the second door. His mouth went dry. Is this Kikwang’s apartment?

Yoseob unlocked the door with a spare key and stepped inside. The room was dark, it seemed like no one’s at home. “Kikwangie?”

Dongwoon slowly walked inside and looked around. The room somehow smelled like Kikwang. Damn. He missed the scent so badly.

“It seems like Kikwang’s not home. Let’s just wait here. That boy likes to walk around in the cold weather. I wonder if he’s actually Mr. Rain. Everywhere he goes, it always raining,” Yoseob chuckled softly to himself. “And it even got worse in the rainy season. Anyway, here’s the reason I called you.”

Yoseob handed him a sketch book by the bed.

Dongwoon took it with a hand. He thought he’s just gonna see drawings and such, but instead he saw words. The sketch book was filled with words. And not with variant of words. It’s just two words. His name.

SON DONGWOON.

From the first pages to last, Kikwang scribbled his name everywhere. In several parts, the ink and pencil was fading—Dongwoon touched the paper and it was obvious, tears. Dongwoon was speechless and after flipping the pages endlessly, over and over again, still couldn’t believe what he saw, he looked up and stared at Yoseob.

“Kikwang’s in love with you.”

At that moment, the door was opened and Dongwoon saw the sight of the person he adored the most.

He didn’t think anymore, he leaned forward to reach Kikwang and embraced him tightly.

Dongwoon felt like he couldn’t let go of Kikwang, ever.

 

 

***

 

 

The room was small. Yoseob sat by the couch and the TV, trying to give Dongwoon and Kikwang some space. The sound was actually muffled by the fierce raindrops, and as soon as Kikwang got home, it was starting to rain outside. He made himself a cup of coffee and two chocolates for the KiWoon couple.

Kikwang and Dongwoon sat by the bed, facing each other. Kikwang looked so shy and he kept on looking down to his fingers, sometimes to his sheet, as if something interesting was there.

Dongwoon didn’t know what to feel anymore—he was relieved, happy, thankful, crappy, and etc. The sketch book was hidden behind Kikwang’s back, it was taken from his hands the moment Kikwang entered the room. He glanced around to look for a piece of paper but he found none. So Dongwoon took out his phone and started typing.

Don’t ever do that to me anymore.

Kikwang bit his bottom lip visibly and typed.

Do what?

Not replying my texts. You know I’m so worried.

I’m sorry...

Dongwoon sighed and grabbed Kikwang’s chin. They stared at each other solemnly.

“I love you,” Dongwoon said softly. “That's the reason I kissed you...”

Kikwang’s eyes widened in disbelief. His lips were trembling.

"So please, don't ever think you're not worth it..."

Dongwoon quickly reached to his pocket, searching for the couple ring. Fortunately he always brings them everywhere with him. He looked embarrassed as he put one on his ring finger. “It may not be expensive, well I hope I can buy you an expensive one someday, no, strike that, I will.”

He put the ring to Kikwang’s ring finger.

“Lee Kikwang,” Dongwoon whispered wearily. “Will you marry me?”

Kikwang cried and his tears wouldn’t stop falling.

The rain didn’t stop until the next day.

 

 

***

 

 

Dongwoon was starting to have a better life.

He got a decent job, with a full payment, and most importantly, he got Kikwang.

Kikwang had moved in together with Dongwoon—with the help of Yoseob, and the latter had been saving money for their marriage.

Dongwoon doesn’t hate the rain anymore.

Everytime it rains, even though he would get soaking wet, even though he would get cold, but it always bring a smile to his lips because there were so many memories through the rain. And thanks to Kikwang, who always prepared a folded umbrella and a thick coat in Dongwoon’s backpack. Kikwang makes his life colorful, and he laughs a lot lately. Dongwoon loves his smile. Everyday even though he got tired at work, but everytime he arrived home and Kikwang smiled at him, the tiredness would be gone.

Maybe Kikwang is an angel. A disguised angel.

Or a weatherman—Mister Rain, just like Yoseob portrayed it.

They’re still communicating through texts and books—Dongwoon even got them a bigger sketch book. Sometimes they’re communicating through their lips. Everytime their lips met, Dongwoon would smile because it was the easiest way to read Kikwang—he could feel all of the latter’s emotion just by kissing him. How that heart beats ‘I love you.’

Dongwoon came home that night and as he folded his wet umbrella with the sight of Kikwang by the table with their book, he wondered if they should get a laptop or something just because he’s scared Kikwang would be tired of writing.

Just as he was about to voice the thought out loud, Kikwang stopped writing and dropped his pen nervously. He opened his mouth and closed it again, before gulping and opened his mouth once again. Kikwang cleared his throat softly.

Dongwoon held his breath.

“Woonie,” Kikwang’s voice was cracked and trembled. But God, it was the most beautiful sound Dongwoon’s ever heard.

Dongwoon froze on his track, and unconsciously a tear shed to his cheek.

“Kiki?”, it came out as a whisper.

Kikwang cleared his throat once again and spread a shy, beautiful smile.

“Welcome home, Woonie...”

Outside, the rain had stopped pouring.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

End.