The Recon

Seasons Change But People Don't

I started writing this chapter some time last month, I think, and it's not quite how I thought it would be. I was really enjoying writing the last part, but if I wrote any more I don't think I would've been able to find a good way to end it. (And there's a cameo even I didn't expect.) Plus, I wanted to be done before the end of the month. This is shorter than the last couple of chapters and pretty much just a filler. Because I'm so disorganized, I finally got around to putting in some backstory and explaining some of their connections. There's also some ambiguous wooyeol and not-very-subtle myungyeol. The next chapter will be more exciting since they'll be stealing back the lunchbox. I've been planning that chapter in my head since I first thought of this story. Hopefully, it'll be as good as I imagined.

 

 

 

Although he hadn't been expected to follow in his father's footsteps, Sungyeol always knew his father had high aspirations for him. He wanted Sungyeol to have power and respect, be it in law, politics, medicine, or academics. Sungyeol had never felt well suited to any of those fields, though. He was curious by nature and it was that boundless curiosity that often got him into trouble. He was always full of questions, never satisfied with whatever answer an adult gave him. As he got older, he realized that the mold his father was trying to fit him into would never be big enough. He wanted more. More than a life of rules and customs and decorum. He didn't like silence and control.

It was no surprise that Sungyeol eventually rebelled. There were only so many times his father could tell him no before he decided he didn't want to listen. Meeting Woohyun hadn't helped things either. They were in the same boat (as Sungyeol would learn later on in their friendship). Their parents had plans and expectations for their futures and they both just wanted to make their own decisions. When he looked back now, Sungyeol could see how immature they had been. Slacking off in school or skipping it altogether and staying out later than he should weren't the smartest ways to request independence. But at the time, it had felt so freeing for Sungyeol to do whatever he wanted, to not follow his father's orders.

His father's lectures and his mother's disapproving looks weren't enough to deter him from trying to decide his own future for once in his life. Which is why he had only himself to blame when it all went to . Although Sungyeol had blamed Woohyun for everything, it wasn't like the other had forced him to do anything. Sungyeol chose to be friends with Woohyun. He chose to join in when Woohyun and his friends broke the rules and the law. He even chose to be punished alone when he'd only been following everyone else.

But even though Sungyeol had begrudgingly come to accept that Woohyun didn't deserve as much animosity as he'd been showing him, he wasn't quite willing to let his guard down around him. Woohyun always was and would always be a bad influence. The fact that he'd managed to convince Sungyeol to help him rob a house while the owner was still in it was proof enough. Unfortunately, Sungyeol's reluctance to rekindle their friendship wasn't a hindrance for Woohyun. As planning and preparations got underway, Woohyun found any excuse he could to have Sungyeol working with him. It wasn't entirely unpleasant, Sungyeol had to admit, but it made keeping his distance much harder. He didn't want to get into Woohyun's world again.

 

 

Maybe it was because Woohyun went out of his way to include Sungyeol. Or maybe it was because the others were so friendly and welcomingeven Hoya once Sungyeol got past his brusque first impression. Either way, Sungyeol had started to feel like part of the team. Which wasn't what he'd hoped for or expected. He wasn't in it for friends or a new life. (He still wasn't sure why exactly he agreed to help Woohyun, honestly.) This was supposed to be a favor that Sungyeol would pretend never happened if anyone ever asked. But now there was Myungsoo. In the few days since they'd met, they'd grown close; close enough that Sungyeol started to second guess just walking away when the job was done.

It would be stupid of him to get even more involved in such shady business. He didn't doubt his father would go after him for stepping out of line again. The older man was good at separating his feelings from his morals, as Sungyeol knew from experience. He was already toeing the line; it was only a matter of time before his father would find out what Sungyeol had been up to.

But the devil on Sungyeol's shoulder (that sounded uncannily like Woohyun) told him the risk was worth it. He'd never followed his father's rules before and he shouldn't start now. He was too old to still have someone else running his life. And it wasn't like he was happy with the way he was currently living. Even he could admit that it was a bit sad and depressing (and lonely). So maybe it was worth the risk. Maybe he wouldn't mind getting on his father's bad side (not that he'd ever been on the good one) if it meant he'd have people like Myungsoo and Sungjong and Dongwoo to back him up.

 

 

 

 

[D-10]

 

"You know, this is why people think we used to date," Sungyeol sighed at the sight of Woohyun standing by the door of his apartment building. The younger man was just leaving for work—because aside from his paranoia about his father, he wasn't planning on quitting his day job to become a thief.

Woohyun fell into step beside Sungyeol as the other continued walking. His face was uncharacteristically serious. Figuring Woohyun would explain himself, Sungyeol chose not to press the issue. They got nearly halfway down the block before Woohyun finally spoke up. "I wanted to talk to you. About us."

"We talk all the timewell, you talk. I don't think you even notice when I'm not paying attention." Sungyeol expected Woohyun to balk at the claim, maybe be annoyingly whiny because Sungyeol said he didn't listen to him, but all he got was silence. It threw him for a moment. He glanced at the man next to him uneasily. "Uh, are you feeling okay," Sungyeol asked. (He would never admit that he was honestly worried about Woohyun.)

"Do you still hate me?"

Sungyeol stopped in his tracks at the question. He wouldn't have expected the other to be so direct. During their school days Woohyun was always tactful about getting his way or the information he wanted. He seemed to have a knack for subtle persuasion. "Where's that coming from," Sungyeol mumbled just loud enough for the other to hear. He hadn't been as hostile to Woohyun as before (mostly thanks to Myungsoo's gentle coaxing) and he thought it showed. Apparently, he'd thought wrong.

Woohyun tugged on the sleeve of Sungyeol's jacket to pull him from the middle of the sidewalk. They ended up under the awning of a convenience store. Avoiding eye contact, Woohyun looked out towards the street. "I know I'm way too old to be concerned about something like this," he started slowly. He was obviously having trouble getting his words out, probably from embarrassment. "And usually I'm not. Usually I don't let it bother me, what someone else thinks of me. But I want us to be friends again. And I thought you forgave me, but whenever I try to get close to you it feels like your pushing me away."

Never in a million years did Sungyeol think he'd be talking to his ex-friend about their friendship and their feelings, of all things. Hell, he never thought he'd have to see his face again. It was...unusual. But also not as far-fetched as he would've thought. "You do come on a bit strong," Sungyeol hedged as he snuck a look at Woohyun from the corner of his eye. "Not that that's a bad thing," he rushed to reassure Woohyun when the other dropped his head in guilt.

"No, I get it." Sungyeol didn't expect the dejected tone of Woohyun's voice to affect him like it did. He supposed he must still have some affection for the other man buried way down deep in his heart. He was never going to admit something like that, though. "I'm overstepping. Trying too hard. This is just business for you," Woohyun stated. It sounded like he'd given it a lot of thought and come up with his own conclusion.

Against his better judgement, Sungyeol reached out to rest a hand on Woohyun's shoulder. "It's not like that," he denied. Woohyun finally looked up at him in surprise. "I'm not just here to do you a favor." Sungyeol decided not to elaborate on that admission. Woohyun would find whatever meaning he wanted from it. "Maybe you could not try so hard," he suggested. "Don't try to force things. I liked being friends with you before, but it's not like we can go back to how we used to be."

Woohyun nodded in understanding, his mood clearly back up. "We can start over then. Take things slow."

Sungyeol groaned at the word choice. It was like Woohyun wanted everyone to get the wrong idea. "I'm starting to think you're doing this on purpose," he grumbled as he started walking again. He grimaced at the arm Woohyun threw over his shoulder, but didn't shrug it off.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Woohyun replied, the grin on his face saying the exact opposite. He leaned closer to Sungyeol, tilting his head up to reach the taller man's ear. "But just so you know, I'm totally boyfriend material."

 

 

 

 

[D-7]

 

Thanks to Sungyeol's personal encyclopedia—also known as Kim Myungsoo—he learned almost everything he could possibly want or need to know about the team he was kind of already a part of. Myungsoo filled him in on each member as well as the many jobs they'd carried out. He didn't seem wary of Sungyeol because of his father, which was a relief. Myungsoo seemed so excited to have made a new friend and Sungyeol was enjoying having something close to friends again—even if they were people who could get him arrested just by association.

From Myungsoo's oversharing, Sungyeol had learned that Sunggyu used to work for the government. Which part exactly was vague, but Myungsoo and Sungjong were sure it was something secretive like espionage. Sunggyu and Woohyun had met after the older man left his old job. The skills he'd acquired came in handy when he and Woohyun started their business.

Along the way, they picked up Dongwoo and Hoya who happened to have close ties with many of the gangs in the city. Hoya's father ran the biggest one (rivaled only by Lee Jungyeoba man Sungyeol had only heard of in passing; everyone seemed to avoid elaborating about who he was) while Dongwoo's father was his right-hand man. That explained how Dongwoo and Hoya grew up together and their close relationship. Their gang connection was helpful in funding the team's expansion to bigger jobs as well as a larger base. The house they all met up in actually belonged to Hoya; a small favor from his father. While Hoya provided the means, Dongwoo had the easy task of being the driver. He got everyone where they needed to be and got them the hell out when they were done. On a side note, Myungsoo added that Dongwoo's other, unofficial job was being the team's charmer. He had a way with words and an even easier way with people. If ever a job called for someone to be sweet-talked, they always turned to Dongwoo.

When Woohyun approached Myungsoo to join the team, the younger man agreed only on the condition that Sungjong be included too. Woohyun had been reluctant at first; he was only looking for Myungsoo. But the two youngest had been quick to prove to Woohyun that having Sungjong on the team would benefit everyone. Simply put, Sungjong was a genius. (Which was no surprise to Sungyeol; from their first meeting, he knew Sungjong was in a class of his own.) He was like a walking calculator, though he never showed off—well, not that often. He was good with numbers and even better with computers. If any job called for a bit of spying or hacking, Sungjong knew a way. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that they would've all wound up in prison if it wasn't for him.

After hearing about everyone and their roles on the team, Sungyeol didn't feel like his presence was necessary. They didn't really need him there no matter what Woohyun had said to sway his decision. The team was already complete which should've been a good thing considering Sungyeol was still on the fence about joining. It was just another reason why he should walk away when the job was over.

 

 

 

 

[D-4]

 

Sungjong looked from Sungyeol to Myungsoo before shaking his head. "I feel so bad for Woohyun," he sighed. The two men across from him gave him matching expressions of confusion. They'd been too busy play-fighting over the best way to grill pork belly; the insinuation went right over their heads.

"What's wrong with Woohyun?" The concern in Myungsoo's eyes was genuine as he set down his pair of tongs. There wasn't very much that could distract him from food.

Letting out another sigh, Sungjong drained his glass before reaching for the half-empty soju bottle. It was tough being the smartest person on the team sometimes. Myungsoo rested a hand on Sungjong's wrist just as he filled his glass up a third of the way. Reluctantly, Sungjong took the hint to go easy on his drinking. "Everything," he answered dryly. Sungyeol let out a snort from where he was focused on turning the meat. They'd long since bonded over their shared love of bad-mouthing Woohyun. "But why am I here anyway? I mean, as much as I love free food, being a third wheel on a date isn't quite as much fun as you'd think."

"Free food?" Sungyeol asked incredulously.

"A date," Myungsoo wondered at the same time.

For all Sungyeol's denying, Sungjong was positive the other was already a part of the team. It was just as exhausting dealing with him as it was with the others. "Well, you're both older than me," Sungjong replied in a matter-of-fact tone. "So that means you have to buy me dinner. Naturally."

Sungyeol scoffed, pausing his cooking. "Since when was that a thing?"

"Since always. Right, Myungsoo?"

His friend nodded with a fond smile on his face. He leaned back in his seat and crossed his arms. "I haven't seen him pay for a meal in five years." Sungjong looked especially proud of himself.

"And what happens if I don't want to pay for him," Sungyeol pushed. He wouldn't let an alleged child prodigy outsmart him.

"He uses his natural cuteness against you."

"Works every time," Sungjong spoke around the lettuce wrap he'd fixed for himself.

Sungyeol pointed his tongs at the man across from him. He had an eyebrow raised in disbelief. "'Natural cuteness'? Him?" Both Myungsoo and Sungjong nodded. "You're cuter than him," he said, turning his head towards Myungsoo. The other man immediately looked down at his plate. Not even the dim restaurant lighting could hide his reddened cheeks.

"Of course you'd say that," Sungjong muttered mostly to himself. He should've dragged Hoya along; at least then he wouldn't feel like gagging every three seconds. "I'm cute when I want to be," he told Sungyeol. "You wouldn't stand a chance."

"It's true," Myungsoo agreed.

That was something Sungyeol would gladly pay to see, but unfortunately it would have to wait. As he opened his mouth to challenge Sungjong's claim, a tall shadow loomed over the table. All three men looked up in unison at the newcomer. A well-dressed young man stood behind the empty seat next to Sungjong. After a moment, Sungjong’s face lit up with recognition. "Hey, what are you doing here," he asked, rising from his seat. Myungsoo and Sungyeol watched in silence as the other two men shared a hug.

"I just came in with some friends."

"You should've told me you were free tonight. We have so much to catch up on."

As much as Sungyeol hated to interrupt the moment happening across from him, he felt like introductions were in order. He cleared his throat to get Sungjong's attention and gave him an innocent smile. "Who's your friend?"

To Sungyeol's surprise, Sungjong didn't seem fazed by his impatience. With a happy smile still on his face, he turned to the man next to him. "This is Kangjoon. You already know Myungsoo and that's Sungyeol. He's new," he said as if that explained everything about Sungyeol.

Kangjoon gave Myungsoo a small wave before setting his eyes on Sungyeol. "So, you're a new recruit, huh?"

"Something like that," Sungyeol shrugged.

"He claims it's temporary," Sungjong supplied for him. His smile looked more like a smirk to Sungyeol now. "You guys won't mind if I go catch up with Kangjoon, right?"

Myungsoo shook his head. "We'll be fine."

(Sungyeol couldn't help wondering if the way Sungjong beamed from Myungsoo's words was the "natural cuteness" they had mentioned earlier. He still thought Myungsoo was cuter.)