Part 00: Flashback

Roadtrip [ GUGUDAN AU ]

Since I was a kid, I don't know where my parents are nor who they are. I grew up in an orphanage. An orphanage wherein those pool of kids don't want to approach me since they think I'm weird. I didn't mind at all. In fact, I'm better off alone for who knew what would happen if I push myself into people who don't like me at all, right? Even nuns around here believe I'm mysterious, and as a result they don't have the guts to go near me and talk about my 'imaginary problems'. The often see me sitting alone in the corner with my eerie natural quietness while the other children play around and have fun. I'm lucky everytime they say a word to me. I never even had conversations longer than 30 seconds. I often nod as saying yes, shake my head as saying no, shrug as saying 'I do not know'. 

That's why everyone was shocked when a pair visited this orphanage and adopted me. I was shook, too. Thinking that they already had a child. I mean, why would they want to adopt another kid when there's already someone there to sparkle up the family, right? I was playing chess with myself that day, not even muttering a word. But then there's this man and his wife who randomly chose me. They signed the papers to make me the official new family member and accompanied me to their car. I grew more nervous when I saw this girl sitting before me as I open the car's door. I really bawled in my inner voice but not until she smiled warmly at me. "Welcome, my new sister. I'm Jang Sojin, your new company in life." She introduced as she extends her arm to offer something to me. "Want some candy?"

I sat at the car seat and stared at what she's holding, hesitating to decline what she's offering or accept it. But I guess I have chosen the latter. I slowly lift my hands and took the piece of sweet she's giving me. She hugged me right after and let out an excited "Yehey, we're officially sisters!" And in that instance, I felt quite secured.

"Oh, wait. Silly me. I forgot to ask you your name. Where are my manners?" She slightly slapped her forehead and turned her gaze back to me. "Now I am. What is your name, sis?"

I was taken aback at my realization. On my entire 5 years of existence, not even one bothered to ask my name. It was the very first time I heard that phrase. Thinking that brought tears of joy into my eyes, resulting Sojin to panic. "Oh, no. D-Did I say something hurtful? I'm sorry I-I didn't mean to make you cry. I'm sorry." She hugged me which really touched my heart.She cared for me as if I'm her real sister. I looked up and blinked to stop myself from crying since she doesn't see me doing it. My head is on her shoulders and vice versa. I broke the embrace when my tears are finally gone. 

"Nope. I'm totally fine, really. Uhm, I-I'm Kim Sejeong." 

"Well, Sejeong, I can already see that you and I will get along well as siblings. I welcome you to my heart as long as I'll be welcome to yours. I love youuu!" 

From that day onwards, Sojin and her family treated me right. They see me as their own princess even though we are not biologically meant to be a family. They insisted me into calling Mr. Jang as my Dad, Ms. Jang as my Mom, and Sojin as her nickname Soyee. They even told me why that call sign was given to her. I have experienced many firsts.

That was the very first time I felt special. That was the very first time my heart started fluttering. That was the first time I felt loved. I didn't expect this family to be so warm to me despite of me being a cold, lonely wallflower. 

I didn't expect this family to melt my cold, frozen heart.

 

I am Kim Sejeong, and this is how I came to be.