Final

Abandoned Again

Cha Yoo Jin POV

      "Stop hurting him!" Il-rak shouted, rushing towards Yoonho to grasp his hand. I only held onto his hand, but suddenly Yoonho had gasped in pain. I didn't intend to hurt him. The other members of S Orchestra huddled around him, even Naeil, who always supported me, hooting me angry looks. Just last week, they were all happy to be with me, but now they swiftly changed their positions, supporting this newcomer. It was outrageous.

      "Fine! I don't need you all!" I huffed out, turning on my heels to walk away. They were too loud and noisy for my liking anyways. If they treasured Yoonho so much, they won't find me being their conductor ever again.

      As much as I told myself this was silly, deep inside I couldn't help but feel hurt. My father's words from when I was a child rang in my ears.

      "You have no time for friends. If you practice the piano harder, maybe one day I will come to your concerts."

      Yet till this day he had never come, ever since I was at the raw age of three. Being a prodigy meant growing accustomed to loneliness at such a young age. Your talent wasn't meant to be used for enjoyment. Your hands were slaves to the world as you were now meant to give up your life for others. Despite that, I never thought that my father would be just like them. Just like those slave drivers.

      And now I was abandoned again, this time by the people, after careful consideration, I had determined as my friends.


      I headed to the bar, having no work to do. Usually I'd be here with Do-kyung, but even today her presence wouldn't help. I sipped on vodka, indulging in the burn. At least it would make me forget everything. I thought about this sacrifice I made for them. Once more, I gave up what I truly desired to save them from disaster. Oh, how I wished to tell them everything. To tell them how dear they were to me and how this was all for the greater good. To trust me once more. But knowing their boisterous personalities, they wouldn't have let me sacrifice at all, those ruthless brats. Yah, Cha Yoo Jin. You've never even had friends before. How could you have expected to tell them your feelings? You're cold and heartless. You don't have feelings, a voice in my head told me in a biting tone. I nodded in acceptance, as if the voice was waiting for me to understand.

      "You're right," I replied out loud, leaving my chair to head back home.


      On my way back, I saw the members of S Orchestra happily walking to my apartment building, probably heading to Yoonho's place. Naeil was holding on to his arm, smiling so widely. Giving him the smile that she used to give me. But of course, I was no longer with them. They didn't need me. And most importantly, you don't need them, the voice whispered again. I hide from their sight, slipping into my own home.

      It was only when I crawled into the safe confines of my bed that I let my pent up emotions go, allowing my tears to flow and my sobs to break free. I was never meant to be happy anyways.


      When I walked to campus the next morning, I was met by a bucket of ice cold water. It soaked through my clothes which began to stiffen due to the already existing cold air. I shuddered before looking above, only to see a smug looking Il-rak and Naeil. They seemed to be pleased, so I continued forward, giving them no sign of emotion. I had no time to feel anyways. I had to practice with A Orchestra well to make everyone proud. To save S Orchestra.


      Staying in my drenched clothes was probably not a good idea. The next day, I woke up to a raging fever that burned uncomfortably. I struggled to walk to the concert hall as waves of dizziness overcame me. Keep walking. You have to perform. Don't ruin the concert just because of some small sickness. You aren't that weak Yoo Jin.

      I walked onto stage, adjusting my suit, before standing in front of the orchestra members. I held my baton high, standing straight, but out of all the times, the baton slipped from my fingers, clanking down to the floor. My heart beat fast, but I ignored it and continued. A conductor must never pick up a fallen baton.

      Conducting and the piano solo went by in a haze. My vision blurred and my ears rang, buzzing uncomfortably. Get a grip, Cha Yoo Jin! I forced my fingers to move across the keys. Seduce the audience, capture their hearts. That's your job.

      The applause at the end was worth it, even though it worsened the pounding headache I harbored. My job was done. I left the stage, stumbling into a bathroom stall before passing out.


Yoo Il Rak POV

      Despite my anger towards Yoo Jin, when I saw him on stage, I was enamored. His brilliance, vigour, and charm was what captivated me, and my eyes were glued to him the whole time. His excellence was enchanting, and all anger was forgotten.

       I wanted to at least commend him for his performance, though he was probably still mad at me for dumping a bucket of cold water on him. However, he quickly exited the stage. Where could he be going? I left the auditorium, hoping to catch him.


      I opened all the practice door rooms, diligently searching for him, but he was nowhere to be found. I gave up, heading into the mens' restroom to splash my face with cold water. With annoyance, I barged into the restroom, before tripping head first onto the floor.

      "What the-" I was about to curse, but then I realized I tripped not on an object, but on a human being. I rolled the man's body over, only to see Cha Yoo Jin. My heart dropped in shock as I shook his body.

      "Yah, Cha Yoo Jin! What's wrong?" I asked, shaking him vigourously. His face was red and hot to the touch, covered in a thin sheet of sweat. He was motionless no matter what I did. He must have fallen sick because you dumped water on him, you idiot! I scolded myself.

      I picked him up and carried him on my back, running outside to call for help. 

      "Someone call an ambulance!"


      "You idiot!" Minhee scolded Naeil and I, punching our shoulders. We gathered around Yoo Jin, who was laying on a hospital bed hooked up to an IV. The doctor diagnosed him with the flu and a head injury due to passing out on the hard floor.

      "Before I give him any medicine, do any of you have a list of medications he has? If not, I will look it up on the system provided," the doctor asked. We shook our heads, so he went ahead to print out his profile.

      "Nothing seems to contradict what I will give him now. Please keep this list just in case. Mr. Cha seems to be stable now. I shall check upon the other patients I have. Please press the buzzer if anything happens," he informed us, handing me the paper. Once the doctor left, I quickly scanned the paper, wondering what medicines Yoo Jin could possibly be taking. I didn't expect to see what I saw.

      Antidepressants.

      I dropped the paper, only for the others to pick it up.and read exactly what I read. They looked up at Yoo Jin in shock. Out of all the people, we wouldn't have expeccted Yoo Jin to be depressed. Sure, he was arrogant and emotionless, but he smiled a lot with us. 

      As if he knew, he opened his eyes, looking directly at me. Without a word, he smiled, but it faded when he saw the paper in our hands. His eyes turned glassy, and tears fell from his eyes. I was taken aback. Was this how he was feeling the whole time? He smiled...did he actually care for us?

      I walked up to him, as well as the others. My fingers found their way to his face and rubbed the tears away. He didn't need ostracization. He needed love.

      It was an awkward, large, group hug, but in the end it was worth it, for we saw a real genuine smile from Yoo Jin's face.

      "Don't worry. We're here to listen."


A/N This was a 5 second "what if" thought from me when I watched this drama. Just me feeling angsty~ For more solid works, check out Recovering Happiness and Learning to Love Again