Final

1950

A/N: English is not my first language so please pardon me for any mistakes. This one-shot is inspired by the movie 'Grave of the fireflies' and I think it totally fits NayeonXChaeyoung. Never thought that I would write an otp from TWICE but here it goes. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is near the end of June already.

Nayeon continues moving forward as she holds the hand of the little three-years old tightly. The small-sized shoes have already been damaged a little but they eventually tear apart when the branches prick themselves into the front fabric repeatedly. She watches carefully as the little Chaeyoung stumbles every now and then with her toes sticking out of the bare opening.

As the sun sets, Nayeon looks back and squints her eyes through the illuminating gold that is almost piercing into her sight. Even though they are miles away, she can still see the thick black smoke that is emitting into the sky almost endlessly. It blends in so well with its background and creates a sorrowful picture that threatens to release the tears that have been building up in her eyes.

The orphanage is bombed; they have nowhere to go home to. Aunt Marie is gone; they have no one to mend their shoes. Their friends are all dead; they have no one to play with anymore. The joyful and peaceful life suddenly turns into the darkest day in their whole life.

“Unnie, wae?” She doesn’t realise that she is crying.

Nayeon turns around only to find an enormous pair of eyes staring back at her – so innocent. She probably doesn’t even realise the gravity of the situation they are in as she doesn’t stop grinning at her. It is then she decides that she has to be brave. She can’t look back anymore; there’s nothing left.

“Ani,” she shakes her head and wipes the tears away before smiling. “Let’s go, shall we?”

The journey continues but Nayeon doesn’t know where to go. She only knows that they have to keep heading south, until they are far away enough from the cruelty that she isn’t yet capable of accepting.

The sea of dandelions greets them. There is only one word to describe it – beautiful.

Nayeon doesn’t know where she has found the basket that is carrying the little girl on her back as they pass through the flowers. Perhaps the farmer has left it behind. She feels grateful for it. This way, Chaeyoung won’t have the risk of injuring herself. However, she do have to admit that the weight might be a little too much for her. She doesn’t miss out the growth of her chubby cheeks.

“Chaeyoungie, stay still!”

The movement on her back startles her as she quickly holds on tightly to both straps on her shoulder. She doesn't want to lose her balance and cause the girl to fall. It will be terrible.

“Unnie, look!”

A short arm appears over her shoulder and Nayeon giggles as the white and fluffy petals tickle her cheek. As soon as Chaeyoung gives it a little blow, they disperse and travel to wherever the wind is carrying them to.

“It’s so fun!” She hears the younger one says.

And so, Nayeon plucks one out of the many and does the same. Laughter fills the rest of their journey.

Darkness has finally set in and Nayeon is delighted when they spots an isolated house in the middle of the greens. Chaeyoung yawns and the older girl knows that they will have to wait for dawn before they can continue again.

“I'm hungry,” the confession draws Nayeon’s attention easily because just like the girl, she can't sleep. “I want my milk.”

The little girl suddenly bursts into tears and it catches Nayeon off guard. She knows that she needs her milk every night before she sleeps but they don't have it now. Carrying the fragile being up and holding her in her arms, Nayeon moves her hand and circles her fingers on her back, trying to soothe her down.

“Be quiet. If you cry, the big bad wolf will come and eat you up.” Nayeon attempts to stop the cries but it only gets louder.

“I want my milk…”

Nayeon scratches her head in frustration as moisture is formed on her sleeves. Aunt Marie is always the one who is able to handle her tantrum. Now that she is not here anymore, she is totally helpless. She can only wait while she rocks the girl from side to side until the cries softens and stops eventually. She lets out a sigh of relief.

Wiping away the tears stained on her face, Nayeon leans in and places a quick kiss onto the chubby cheek. Carefully, she lies back down onto the mattress with the little girl on her chest sleeping soundly. Then, her stomach growls. They really need to find some food tomorrow.

The morning after the sleep isn’t a good one. Nayeon wakes up to find herself in an extreme body-ache probably because of the amount of distance they’ve walked yesterday. The little one isn't any better when braids has been messed up but the cracked lips bug her mind even more.

They need water too.

“Little Chaeyoungie, wake up now.”

Nayeon whispers and the girl stirs with her eyes still closed. It is only when she forcefully drags her up, she struggles to open her eyes to get accustomed to the sudden brightness. Surprisingly, she doesn't cry. She only stares into the blank space.

She feels guilty for waking her up.

Adjusting the girl into a sitting position, Nayeon removes the bands before announcing, “let's tie a ponytail today.”

When she finishes, she grins in satisfaction as Chaeyoung looks back at her. She doesn't smile.

Nayeon is back on the path again with the little girl on the basket. The only difference this time is that the girl isn't as bubbly as yesterday anymore. Her energy is probably drained out and honestly, it worries her a lot.

“We will be getting food soon,” Nayeon tries to sound cheerful for a response from the girl. “And water too.”

But she doesn't answer.

“Chaeyoungie?” She calls out worriedly.

“Will we find food?”

The voice is faint. Nayeon tries to look far ahead but it isn't far enough. All she sees is grasses and trees; nowhere near the streets or city. Nevertheless, she still holds on to her optimistic thoughts, “Of course we will. Definitely.”

Silence takes over the journey and Nayeon pants heavily along the way. She, too, is getting restless. Wiping the sweat off her forehead, she looks at the scorching sun that is threatening to burn them. She feels like her body is going to give up soon and she isn't sure if they are near enough.

“Chaeyoungie?” She looks back and jerks the basket a little. “Are you okay?”

“Unnie, I'm sleepy.”

“No, don't sleep. Stay awake.”

Nayeon puts the basket down hurriedly as she checks on the girl. She looks pale; it must have been dehydration. Her pair of eyes is immediately drawn to the small puddle of water on the grass. She gulps down her saliva down her dry throat.

It's dirty, she tries to warn herself but it doesn't work.

The distance isn’t clear anymore when Nayeon finds herself limping her way into the new-found city. Finally, she thought but it doesn’t last long. The excitement and anticipation she had before for finding something edible has dissipated.

Collapsing onto the ground, she removes the basket on her back and leans onto the pillar. Her eyelids are getting heavier.

The streets are almost empty and eerily quiet except for a few souls who are running with packages, away from them. They must be escaping from the enemies. Keep heading south, she remembers but she has reached her limit. Her legs have given up.

They are not going anywhere anymore; just here.

“Chaeyoungie?” She drags the little girl out and lays her onto her legs.

Nayeon doesn’t know when the little girl has fallen into a deep unconscious state. No matter how loud she calls out, she never answers; and she doesn’t move. Placing her hands on the cheeks, she gasps at the hot temperature of the skin.

“Chaeyoungie, please wake up.”

Tears that have been b in her eyes fall freely from her cheek as Nayeon holds the girl close to her chest. The supposedly cries turn into whimpers that are barely audible. As if she can hear, Chaeyoung’s eyes start to flutter and eventually open.

Nayeon heaves a sigh of relief but it doesn’t make her feel any better.

Soon, sounds of the jet engine fill her ears as she looks up to find planes flying across the sky. She recognises the flag. It is then she realises that war has begun.

“Unnie…”

“I’m here.” Nayeon assures as she wipes her tears away with the sleeve. “We’ve reached the city.”

She tries to force a smile but she ends up crying more when more planes pass by and explosions can be heard from a distance away. She knows that the end is coming. They really have nowhere to escape to anymore.

“We will find food.” Nayeon insists.

Chaeyoung doesn’t respond as her eyes remain shut again. The older girl doesn’t know what it signifies but she doesn’t want to know either. Moving her hands to touch the cheek, she holds in the tears and removes the dirt on it gently. She knows the little girl likes to be pretty.

Grabbing the little hand tightly, Nayeon starts to slip into a mix of dream and reality. One moment, her eyes are opened and the next, they are closed. And her breathing starts to slow down.

She can still hear as the explosion gets closer and nearer but she isn’t afraid anymore. There is nothing left to be afraid of.

And she keeps smiling until the sky turns grey and the city is sent into a sea of darkness.

One second; it was all that it took.