On The First Day of Christmas

Winter Song

You stepped back to look at the Christmas tree you were decorating. You were trying to get it just right. This was the main tree for the entire library. You wanted it to look perfect. The smell of pine was floating in the air around you. The library was beautiful, but Christmas transformed it. The brown wainscoting made the lobby look older and grander than it was. The high ceiling could make decorating a bit difficult at times, but allowed for this gigantic tree and for garlands along the walls.

“It looks gorgeous! You’ve done wonderful work,” your boss smiled at you. She was a pleasant, middle-aged woman. A strict boss with high standards. Compliments from her were rare, and this one made you beam at the tree. She nodded once and then was off again.

“It really does look beautiful,” Hyejin said, staring up at the tree. The two of you had worked together for the past couple of years and had become good friends.

“Thanks Hyejin-ah.” You scanned around the lobby, people were shuffling in and out, others waiting in line to check out the books in their arms. You sighed. “We better get back to the desk and help check people out. Looks like Hyunwoo needs some help.” She smiled in agreement and you made your way to the check-out counter.

You opened a lane, beckoning the next person in line forward. You scanned her library card, then her books. You enjoyed working at the library. You didn’t make a fortune, but you liked it. You spent your days around books. That was enough for you.

Recently, your boss decided she wanted to start decorating for the holidays, and she wanted all the decorating done for December 1st. She relied on you for this. She had given you a budget and showed you where the old decorations were kept. Some were broken beyond repair, but thankfully most of them were still in good shape. You recruited Hyejin and a couple others to help you with the decorating and got started. Almost a week later, the library looked incredible. Aside from the mammoth tree and garlands in the lobby, you had placed smaller trees in the main sections of the libraries, hung lit garlands, even placed electric candles on some of the counters. You were pleased with your work. Christmas was your favorite holiday and you fancied playing designer a bit.

As the hours passed, the line dwindled until there was no one left in the library but the employees. You locked the doors and cleaned up, preparing the building for opening the next morning. Tomorrow was the 1st of December. The Christmas season would officially be starting. The library had a few small events planned to celebrate the holiday: book readings, a children’s day, even a day that “Santa” would be waiting to meet the children.

Closing took longer than normal since you had to run around unplugging all the decoration lights, but as you finally exited the building you took a breath of the crisp air. Your boss locked up, waving you all goodnight. You and Hyejin walked for the bus stop. The two of you lived close to each other and having someone to walk with, especially at night, was welcome. The bus was mostly empty, but warm when it arrived. You chatted about work, your co-workers, and plans for the holidays. Hyejin would be spending Christmas with her boyfriend’s family for the first time. You couldn’t help be a little jealous, especially after last year.

The two of you hopped off the bus, crossed the street and walked down the sidewalk for a couple minutes before arriving at your building. The apartment Hyejin shared with her boyfriend was just down the street from yours. “Have a good night Hyejin-ah,” you called after her before going inside.

“Goodnight!” She called after you. You climbed the stairs to the second floor, found your door and unlocked it. Your apartment wasn’t large. You entered the main room, made up of the living room and kitchen. You kicked your shoes off, placing them into the shoe rack before flipping the lights on and locking the door again, venturing farther into the apartment.

You didn’t spend much time in the front of your apartment, quickly making your way to the bedroom. You tossed your purse onto the top of your dresser, opening the drawers to pull out your pajamas. You changed, washed your face, brushed your teeth, and put your hair up. You climbed into bed and pulled the book from your nightstand, flipping it open.

-------------------------------------------

When you woke the next morning, the book was laying open on the bed next to you. You turned, realizing you forgot to set the alarm on your phone. You jumped out bed, flew into the shower, dressed and did your make up quickly. Throwing your hair up into a bun, you grabbed a package of poptarts before running out the door.

The bus was pulling away from your stop just as you stepped out of the building. “Hey! Wait!” You called, but it continued down the road. You slumped, your mind going blank. Waiting for the next bus would make you late. Walking would make you late. “Great, just great,” you sighed as you sat down on the steps. “Think, think, think” you said to yourself.

An idea came and you flew back into the building and up to the fourth floor. You found the door you were looking for and began to pound on it. “Please be home, please be home, please be home.” The door opened and a tired looking Minjun was rubbing sleep from his eyes.

“Hey noona, what’s up?” He was still in his sweatpants and t-shirt. You knew he had class later today, but you couldn’t feel too bad about waking him up.

“Can you give me a ride to the library? Please? I’ll be late otherwise. I’m practically late as it is. Please Minjunnie?” You clasped your hands together in front of you trying to convey the desperateness of your situation.

“Alright, alright, but you owe me for this noona,” he reached behind him, his keys and wallet appearing. He followed you out and to his car.

You got to work just in time. You had thanked Minjun profusely before running in and clocking in. You hurried around the building to make sure everyone was ready to open. You made it back to your spot at the desk as your boss began making her rounds and unlocked the door. There wasn’t usually anyone waiting to get into the library, but today a group of guys came in right away. You could hear them talking amongst themselves, but busied yourself with the work in front of you until they were coming up ready to check out. Hyejin’s was the only other line open, so the boys split up between the two of you.

You looked up as two of the boys approached you. They were both extremely attractive, but one of them gave off this aura you couldn’t ignore. He smiled and you felt your breath hitch. He handed the book to you to scan out and began searching his wallet for his library card. “I don’t seem to have my card,” he said apologetically.

“Do you have it linked to a phone number? I can look it up that way since you don’t have your card.” You changed screens on the computer, ready to look up his account and trying not to stare at him.

“I don’t… can I just get a new card? My other one is old anyway.”

“Sure, let’s see if we can find you in the system. What’s your name?” You looked up at him, reminding yourself to breathe and not stare.

“Seungho, Yang Seungho.” Thankfully there was only one Yang Seungho in your database. You read off the address to confirm it was him and then prepared a new card for him. You then scanned the book.

“There you go, everything is all set. Thank you for coming in Seungho-ssi.” You smiled at him. He picked up the book and readied to leave, but the other boy stepped up.

“Sorry, but do you have a piece of paper and pen?” He asked.

“Oh, um, sure, here you go,” you pulled out what he asked for, sliding it across the counter to him. He picked up the pen, but then paused. He looked up at you, his brown eyes capturing your attention.

“What’s your name?” You replied immediately, not noticing when he began writing. “And your phone number?” You began reciting that as well, but stopped half way. You cocked your head to the side.

“Why do you need my phone number?”

“How is he going to call you without it?”

You sighed. Were you really going to do this? “Byunghee, knock it off,” Seungho instructed. You looked up at him. Maybe he wasn’t interested.

“Oh come on, she’s totally your type. Besides, if you don’t use the information on this piece of paper, I will.” Byunghee spun back to face you. “So what was the rest of that number?” You took a deep breath and gave him the remaining digits. He smiled, putting the pen down in front of you. “You’ll be hearing from him soon,” he turned with a wink.

You looked up at Seungho, who looked mortified. There was no way you’d be hearing from. Not with a look like that on his face. You felt yourself deflate a little. You knew you didn’t look like a model or anything, but you were pretty. Well, maybe not today, you reminded yourself of the rush to get to work on time.

The next few hours passed slowly, and you were grateful when your lunch break finally came. You and Hyejin headed to the noddle shop down the street. You told her all about the incident from that morning over your ramen.

“That guy was totally checking you out. He’ll call,” she stated.

“Yeah, we’ll see. I doubt it. He looked horrified.”

“You’ll see. He couldn’t take his eyes off you. He’ll call.”

“You really think so?” She nodded in response and you felt a smile form on your lips.