Final

Crush

 

FLAMES

                Lee Jung Hwan – 9 Anger

                Hwang Natalie  -10 Marriage

                Total: 19 - Friends

          “NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!”

          I screamed and slumped down in my desk as I saw the result of my silly little love game, FLAMES. I gritted my teeth in disagreement and tried recounting the letters again, but the result was still the same. After crumpling the paper, I threw it in my bag.

          For those who don’t know what game this is, these are the instructions. First, you will write down your name and you crush. Secondly, check the letter in your name that you two have and all them all and then, in word FLAMES, check what letter where your total number of match letters. Each letter has meaning: F- friends, L-Lovers, A-Anger, M- Marriage, E-engage and S-sweet. In this case, since Junghwan’s total was 9 and it’s A, meaning he feels anger towards me, while the latter has M, meaning I feel like I’m married to Junghwan’s. Lastly, you need to add the matched letters altogether and count it in word, FLAMES. Based from what I checked, we will only be friends.

          “Ahhh. Stupid game.” I resumed eating my lunch and tried to put it out of my mind. My silly friend, Hani, taught me how to play the game and now I effin’ regretted it. I would never allow myself just to be Junghwan’s friend forever. I stabbed my bacon forcefully with my spoon and grumpily ate it.

          I began having a crush with Junghwan two years ago when I was just new to Busan. Since I grew up in Ireland, I could not speak Korean nor understand my teachers during classes, resulting to rock bottom grades in Korean history and other classes that use Korean as medium for teaching. My teacher told to Junghwan to coach me, although the latter was so against it because he could barely speak English. He started working hard to improve his English just to coach me. Later on, I realized how cute he is, I liked him. I even liked him more when I heard him singing for a school festival, as if the angels in the sky serenaded me. After he was done coaching me, he no longer talked to me unless it’s academic stuff which was really annoying because almost everyone in the school wanted to talk to me.

          Except my crush.

          While chewing my food, I suddenly realized how the game served as a wake-up call. Ever since the start of the term, I tried to be extra friendly to Junghwan but the latter kept on snubbing or ignoring me for some unknown reason. I had been constantly greeting him whenever we met in the corridor or inside the classroom but zilch. Nothing. I tried to talk to him one time but Junghwan said that he was busy and he did not want to be disturbed. I was not sure if he really hated me, just like what the ridiculous game said, but I was still determined for Junghwan to notice and talk to me.

          Hwaiting! I raised my fist, egging myself not to give up. If I’d give up, I’d only regret for not working hard.

          “Junghwan-oppa. Kaja?”

          My eyes flew to the main door of the classroom and saw Bomi, one of the most popular and prettiest girls in the school, calling the love of my life. She was in the lower year so all the guys in her year thought that she was super cute. I felt so jealous that I started stabbing my bacon until it was bits.

          Junghwan saw Bomi and stood up after getting his lunchbox. Some of the guys in their classroom started teasing him but the latter just ignored them. I saw him smiling brightly at Bomi and felt my heart crushed into tiny million pieces.

          “Do you think they are dating? I’ve been seeing them together for the past three days.” Hani suddenly popped out of nowhere, adding more salt in the wound. I was not sure if she’s my friend or not.

          “Junghwaaannn.” I sighed heavily and stood up, then started walking towards the door.

          “Where the you going?” Hani asked curiously.

          I looked back, with my long hair waving in the air. “I’m going to get my man back.”

          Hani burst out laughing as if what I said was really hilarious. Still clutching her stomach, she cheered me. “You go, girl!”

          I walked briskly, going to Bomi and Junghwan. I saw them talking in the left corridor so I ran to catch them.

          “Jagiya!!” I shouted at them. Panting and catching my breath, I looked at Junghwan. “Oppa. I thought we are going to eat together? You didn’t tell me that you are going with Bomi.”

          I seriously didn’t have any idea what the I was saying and just staring at Junghwan’s surprised face that his jaw was dropping.

          “E-eh?” He stuttered.

          “It’s okay, I will wait for you later.” I kissed his cheeks. “Saranghaeyo!”

          Junghwan blushed so hard and was speechless on what I did.  On the other hand, Bomi chuckled, amused. She turned to Junghwan and said, “You didn’t tell me that you two are already a couple. Why are you still asking me for advice on how to ask her out?”

          “Eh?” I gaped at Bomi, trying to understand what she said. “Couple?”

          Junghwan’s face already turned magenta while Bomi continued to laugh.

          “Yes, he’s been bugging me on how to date you. He’s been really a pain in the lately.” Bomi patted Junghwan’s shoulder and smiled. “I’ll go now. You have lunch with her.”

          I looked at Junghwan, who remained silent for few minutes. The atmosphere between us was so awkward as if a decade already passed.

          “You have a crush on me?” I broke the silence.

          “Ahhhh. . . . well, yeah. S-since last year.” Junghwan was stuttering as he replied to me. “Many guys have crush and you denied them that’s why I’m afraid to ask you out.”

          OMG!!

          “My god, Lee Junghwan!” I said in exasperated tone. “Do you know the reason why I didn’t accept anyone to date me for the past 2 years. I have a major crush on you, you idiot!”

          His face lightened up upon hearing my reply. “Seriously?”

          “Yes, you idiot!” I slightly punched Junghwan’s shoulder because of frustration of him not asking me out. Does he know how days he wasted when they should been dating already?

          “Mianhae.” Junghwan held my fist that still punching him. “Saranghaeyo.”

          “Eh?”

          Junghwan, without batting an eye, kissed me.