Six Years Later

Six Years Later

"In this company, you're either jobless or overworked."

Since the start, he (and his band) never had been listed as top priority. It was nice having long-lasting career, but still, it would be nicer to have long-lasting and glamorous career. And being too saturated the music industry had been, he doubt he would had the power to compete with poor promotion he got and all those rookies going all-out.

So there he was, watching video titled view...viewable... viewable, uh, something. It has his bandmate as MC and he blatantly told the viewers that the company hated him. It was in joking manner, of course, but still, it was part of the fact. The company didn't care much about the shade; they put the video in their vlive channel and got it subbed in many languages.

Beside, not that he actually had anywhere to go. This place was still too comfortable....

***

"Still too comfortable, too comfortable it hurts...."

He was streaming his recent album, and his phone rang the moment the third song ended. It was from his friend; the friend who just entered army about two or three months ago, the high-pitched voice he missed. 

Army. Enlistment. His turn would be next, and very soon. His friends had been serving their duties, and so did the hyungs in his group. He was going to be missed, just like that friend.

***

His self-composed songs started to pile up in his hard-disk. Perhaps he could ask the company to let him doing solo project again. Perhaps he could offer the songs to some singers good enough to sing them. After all he was known as a reputable main vocalist of a respectable idol group; he did well as solo and people knew he was a passionate artist....

It irked his mind. Yesterday (or was it two days ago?), he saw an old friend at a concert where his group performed. That friend was with his own bandmates, chatting and joking happily. They noticed him and bowed. Last month they did meet, and he could recall their happy and honoured faces. Fresh and young....

Fresh and young like those days.

He began writing some lines. Perhaps he knew to whom he could give his work. He knew their company was so strict about music quality, he better offer them the best. 

***

Comeback. Mini concert. After a long practice time he got some rest hours. He just finished dressing after a relaxing bath. He sighed as the warm feel and the scent of the soap lingered on his skin, combined with a comfy pink sweater he wore. He felt good.

"Hyung, you're awake?"

"As you can see."

"Mind to accompany me?"
 
"Sure."

He went out and saw the maknae watching TV, and of all videos he could watch he chose those old videos from their survival show. It was the first episode, and thankfully wasn't the most embarassing part.

"I got chicken and soda. These are too much and the others have been sleeping."

"But... is it okay... to... eat?"

"Just eat. Who knows, you may get taller."

He gave the younger two hits on the shoulder, "You should stop, then. You're already this tall."

The video had reached half. The younger told him about his radio show and possibility of them coming there during their promotion. He said the staffs knew he had his suneung this year and encouraged him. He listened to him attentively.

"By the way, when you were my age, what were you doing? What were you thinking?"

"Um...," he just started chewing a big bite and took the silence to recall. Just in time the video played his self-introduction part from episode two. Seeing himself brushing teeth on-screen while having meal wasn't a pleasant sight, but it did remind him.

"That time I was excited about the project.... How that would start my career as singer. How to work hard so I wouldn't make it hard for the team. But... the hyungs were nice... and they gave me great help. I'm so grateful for that, and now I have to pass that kindness to you, guys."

"Not so different from mine, then. Thank you for being my elder brother."

"At least you have more older members and all of them are shorter than you...."

"Hyung, stop. You really like dissing yourself, no?"

The chicken box was empty and so was the soda bottle. He yawned, "We'll go to Busan this noon. Get some rest."

He turned off the TV, putting the cointainers in the trashcan, and bidding good-night in front of the younger's door. Before he had completely fallen asleep, he noticed the date and time on his phone screen.

November 29, 2016.