xiubaek- coffee hallucinations

Ficlet ery

Prompt: mama/dystopian au with xiu as a cop meant to chase down those w powers bc it's banned and whoo baek has powers

 

🌺

 

A small sigh, a quiet one that even a mouse can't hear. His bones were tired, but there was nothing he could do. At the moment, he would be stuck in the office looking into the infiltration of power bearer's systems. It was one a.m. Minseok could think of at least a thousand things that are better than this.

The coffee was at it's last sip, the room was dead silent, and the fan spinning was distracting him too much. His eyes were barely kept open, hours of work weighing it down till the only thing he wanted to do was stretch on the floor and sleep.

His phone buzzed, and he glanced at the caller ID. Byun Baekhyun's name flashed for a long time, before it disappeared, being replaced by a missing call notification instead.

Another small sigh escaped his lips. The framed photo was still in his drawer, his heart too heavy to cast it away. Baekhyun was too special to him, and when he found out about his light-bearing quality, he almost wanted to forget about his morals and duty.

His phone beeped this time, a message from his coworker asking if he wanted chicken or spicy ramyun. Not Baekhyun.

Not like he was expecting anything anyway.

The screen was a series of coding that he barely even wanted to understand at this hour, but the thought of them getting so much closer to uncovering the group's location shot him up on his seat. As an added afterthought, he told his coworker to get him some coffee as well. 

 

 

In moments of weakness, like working at three a.m with barely any sleep for the past week, bruises from the fight he had to break off earlier, Minseok would take the photo out and stare at it till his eyes burn and the tears form.

In moments like these, he'd think of the time when Baekhyun stayed beside him while he worked at home, sometimes lying down on his lap to sleep but still making sure to be around Minseok and share his warmth.

Baekhyun would feed him while he stared at the laptop, fingers frustratingly pressing down on the keyboard. He'd massage Minseok's shoulder, kissing that spot on the nape of his neck just to distract Minseok for at least half an hour. 

In seconds of letting his guard down like this, Minseok would admit that he missed the other. That he wished there was something to get back home to every day, or someone to celebrate finishing a case with.

He wished that day hadn't happened. He wished he didn't just got home from a case that ended too early and saw Baekhyun playing with circles of light that seemed to float around him with ease. The light had illuminated his face, his grin seemed so genuine and happy. Thinking about it now, Minseok should have just left the apartment and pretended nothing happened.

Instead, he walked up to his boyfriend and demanded answers, anger making his actions irrational and meaningless words being spouted.

In summary, they were done since that day, Minseok pretending he didn't see Baekhyun leave. That was the least he could do; he didn't want to arrest Baekhyun himself- that would be too much emotional strain- way more than he could handle.

He could still remember his words: not wanting to see Baekhyun ever again, that he might really arrest him the next time he does.

His coworker was asleep beside him and he almost regretted not taking on the offer and catching a few z's himself. He sipped on the last of his third coffee, cracking his knuckles before continuing again. 

Except the lights flickered then, the yellow glow dissipating before appearing again. A hand landed on his shoulder, and his own hand that had reached for his gun on instinct slackened. He gulped as he turned, catching sight of a slim nose, wild red hair, and a mole on the top right of thin lips. 

Minseok blinked. "Baekhyun?"

The other smiled, his fingers light on Minseok's shoulder as he asked, "Have you been sleeping? Your eye bags are horrifying."

"I-" Minseok started, pinching himself to convince himself this was real. Baekhyun was really here. "What are you doing here?"

"I knocked the lights off that other guy, if that's what you're worried of." Baekhyun replied, pulling up a chair and sitting beside Minseok. "More importantly, how are you?"

Minseok stared at him for a long moment, sighing when he realised Baekhyun wasn't going anywhere. "Fine."

He didn't want to ask it, but his mouth moved to it's own accord, eyes trailing down Baekhyun's embroidered jacket and clean silver shoes. "You?"

"Great," Baekhyun grinned, resting his head on his hand and staring at Minseok so intently. Minseok could feel his gut lurching. "I've been more involved with people of my kind. It wasn't really my thing...before, but they paid really good money."

Minseok looked away, heart dropping. "You've joined them now?"

"Well since it doesn't matter if I'm a stray or part of the group," Baekhyun said, aired with nonchalance but the words were meant to strike at Minseok, the words that broke them up clear in his head. "I thought I might as well get some money while being miserable."

"Miserable?" Minseok echoed and they both looked at each other at the same time, lips lined grimly.

"Yeah," Baekhyun whispered, eyes mellowing as he smiled depreciatingly. "I was miserable that our relationship ended. Is that strange?"

Minseok gulped. Power bearers were strictly banned in the country for the sole reason that they had no feelings at all. Nada. Zilch. 

It was what made them heartless enough to kill people and tamper with the darker side of being human. It was why Minseok broke up with Baekhyun in the first place. Baekhyun had powers, he didn't have feelings- were his feelings for Minseok even real?

It clouded his mind the most that night. 

"I was miserable too." They glanced at each other again, and Minseok's heart stopped when Baekhyun leaned in, his eyes never straying from Minseok's. 

"I still love you." Baekhyun softly said, and Minseok replied with the connection of their lips, taking control of the kiss the deeper it went. His heart was pounding and his feelings were frazzled, soul and mind taking a trail down the bliss of just Baekhyun.

They parted and Baekhyun sighed, smile etched on his lips. "I missed that. And you too."

His hands travel south, planting themselves on Baekhyun's thighs as the other continued peppering kisses all over his face and neck. The strain on his shoulders lifted a little, Baekhyun's small ministrations calming him down better than anyone else could.

Hell, just seeing Baekhyun smile was enough for him.

The lights started flickering again, and Minseok knew what it meant. He smiled up at the other, hand lingering on the embroidery at the shoulder of his jacket and hugging him tightly, breathing in the musky scent that was Baekhyun's.

"I love you too, still." Minseok said, voice as clear as crystal.

The lights went off.

 

 


It came on again, and Minseok turned to his computer, opening another tab for the tracking system and seeing the red dot that could only mean Baekhyun. Minseok sighed, but in the end, his duty will always come first, and if Baekhyun had access to the notorious group then Minseok will have to betray his trust for that.

It wasn't like Minseok didn't warn him the first time.

 


🌺


nuha