end

sky of stars

Wonshik had his nose almost buried on the sheets of music notes he was working on when Jaehwan, his neighbour in the dormitory, suddenly broke into his room. And Wonshik remained unfazed as that wasn’t the first time Jaehwan did that. Jaehwan was actually a friend of his roommate. “You’ve been in here for too long”, Jaehwan said as he dragged Wonshik off his rolling chair.

His face scrunched up in confusion because didn’t they see each other at dinner? And that was like, what around less than two hours ago? It was weird, since they weren’t exactly really close. Nonetheless, he let himself be voluntarily dragged by Jaehwan out of the dormitory, not knowing where they’re going. But it’s Jaehwan. It could be anywhere.

It was a little after midnight, and here they were in the middle of an open field. Wonshik was about to ask why when Jaehwan plopped himself down, laying on the grass, not bothering the slight wetness since the rain just stopped few hours earlier.

“The stars are pretty tonight” That words from Jaehwan was enough an explanation. Somehow Wonshik found himself taking the spot next to Jaehwan, the grass was already making patches of dews on his pants, and the back of his coat that he managed to grab. That didn’t seem to matter at the moment.

They stayed until the sun was almost rising, occasionally talking about this and that. Wonshik felt it was a little awkward, they’d never even properly talked to each other before. But in the middle of it, he found comfort in their silence, and amazed at how the other was in awe looking at the twinkling stars. Yes, the stars were indeed beautiful tonight.

Eventually, that fell into a usual routine of stargazing, where at random nights Jaehwan would brought him along whenever he deemed was a night where the stars were shining brightly. “Do you see that one? It’s called Big Dipper.” And Wonshik was slowly learning about constellations from Jaehwan, little by little.

That day Wonshik realized, despite Jaehwan’s excitement of showing him the patterns of the stars, his eyes were bloodshot. “Wonshikkie, you’re not listening” Jaehwan said sulkily with a pout, breaking his trains of thoughts. Jaehwan noticed the tell-tale of questions on Wonshik’s face, but he had no intention of bringing it up. He wasn’t strong enough to answer that, at least not now.

“That one is Cassiopeia. Long ago, there was..” Jaehwan’s face lit up as he told Wonshik the story of it, on one of those nights where they laid together up a small hill. “You’re cold” It was more of a statement from Wonshik, as he noticed the puffs of air coming out from Jaehwan’s lips. “I told you to wear thicker clothes, Jae” Jaehwan adverted his eyes to the stars above, not wanting to meet Wonshik’s.

“It’s okay, you can warm me up” Jaehwan softly said a moment after, snuggling closer to Wonshik. His arms coiled around Wonshik, under Wonshik’s black winter coat. Jaehwan’s body temperature was exceptionally warm, almost hot, Wonshik noticed. “Jae, are you--” The words were cut short when Jaehwan said “No, I’m okay. I’m fine”

Jaehwan had this pleading look on his face, as if telling Wonshik not to ask something like that, or related to that. Wonshik felt dejected, but begrudgingly he never brought it up again. He tightened his arms around Jaehwan as the latter continued off with his stories. He never knew stars could be so interesting. Or maybe it was Jaehwan he was more interested with. Yes, he was falling for the latter.

Time passed by, where days turned to months, and months became a year plus. Whenever they were free, they found themselves huddled together under the night sky. Under the dark sky was also was where they lost their kiss to each other, and soon that wasn’t the only thing they shared. Their feelings were mutual. Wonshik also started composing songs with Jaehwan, in the nights.

And tonight Wonshik noticed Jaehwan’s skin complexion. He knew Jaehwan was fair, but tonight something was off, Jaehwan was pale. He couldn’t really blame it on the weather, it was summer night. That added to Wonshik’s suspicions to Jaehwan’s condition. Even more when he heard Jaehwan threw a coughing fit, for the nth times tonight.

“You know, they say each one of us has a star. My mom said my star is that one” Jaehwan said animatedly, pointing a one of the stars. The star was quite distant from the others but Wonshik thought he saw that star was the brightest. “What about you?” Wonshik was dumbfounded because he never got that kind of question before. But he definitely saw Jaehwan’s face fell as he said “I don’t really know”

The next time, it was Wonshik who was dragging Jaehwan, driving to a countryside at night, with a blanket prepared as they watched the night sky. “I’ve found it, my star” Wonshik sounded so determined as he pointed a dimmer star. “That one. The one next to your star, so you won’t be alone” Jaehwan was probably very satisfied with the answer, because the next thing Wonshik knew he was pulled into a deep kiss, both smiling into it.

Jaehwan’s condition got even worse, he got even thinner, skin paler and his coughing was frequent. Yet he was persistent on wanting to go stargazing with Wonshik that night. He said he really needed to, Wonshik was lost at words and eventually brought him. “I love you” Jaehwan whispered as he kissed Wonshik.

“You do know that I love you too” Wonshik replied as he put his forehead against Jaehwan. His voice was shaking. Jaehwan’s lips were chapped, and Wonshik had to hold the tears that were threatening to fall. He knew Jaehwan wouldn’t like that. Jaehwan would get even sadder.

“They say that when people went, their stars shine even more brightly. Do you think mine will too later?” Jaehwan sounded hopeful, and Wonshik really had to turn the other way, his eyes felt hot and already b with tears. How could he possibly answer such question? , he was getting furious at ‘they’ that Jaehwan kept talking about.

Jaehwan saw it all. He too was heartbroken at this, being like this. So, he tried to change the subject. “Hug me tighter, Wonshikkie” Jaehwan voice was barely audible, but Wonshik was close enough to hear it. He immediately pulled Jaehwan closer, and Jaehwan snuggled closer to him restlessly.

All the while Jaehwan was getting fascinated by the shining stars, Wonshik’s attention was fully on Jaehwan. Taking in the view of Jaehwan’s beauty, how his pale skin glowed under the night sky, how the wide smile appeared every time he spotted another constellation. Everything about Jaehwan, really.

“Tonight is really a beautiful night.” Jaehwan said coughing. “I’d love it if every night is like this” Another cough. “I’m tired Wonshikkie, I’m just gonna sleep a little” Jaehwan spoke again, resting his head on Wonshik’s shoulder, trying to close his eyes. Wonshik had never been more selfish in his life when he didn’t let Jaehwan did so.

But it was inevitable, who was he to deny what’s fated. A fortnight later found Wonshik at the same place again. It was lonely since he was there alone. He was crying his heart out, one hand clutching really tightly on the papers. It was a letter Jaehwan left, along with what he claimed to be his last gift for Wonshik. And Wonshik only had the courage to read it now, after trying so hard in picking himself back together.

That night he couldn’t hold himself anymore, so he let it out. Witnessed by the night, the sky, spread wide with bunches of stars shining bright. The same sky that watched their love unfolded. There were even more stars that night, if that was even possible, as if trying to share Wonshik’s misery and it was somehow comforting. Through his teary eyes, he saw one star that stood out the most, that was shining the brightest among all. And he hated how he agreed with Jaehwan wanting his star to shine bright like that.

“Don’t you like it how stars look so calming? Like how they only have to shine at night, adored by people, without really having problems and such” Wonshik remembers what Jaehwan said, as he once again is at the same spot they used to be, much years later. He is so used with stargazing he ended up going every night he isn’t busy writing songs.

And he finds himself nodding. The sky full of stars is one of thing that could help Wonshik clears his hectic mind. Also where he could think back of the memories he has with Jaehwan. The memories are what inspired Wonshik in his song writing, most if isn’t all the time, the songs are dedicated to Jaehwan. His star was still radiating loyally next to Jaehwan’s, just as he is now, and probably ever. Whenever Jaehwan is now, Wonshik hopes he would see the sky full of stars every night, just so it feels like they’re still together. 

---------------------------------------

um so hello, i was feeling down few days lately and somehow it came to this? idk how tho it turned out uwu. if anyone reads this, hehe pls letme know how you think of this thankyouuu. and uwu milky way is so good the boys are the sweetest. um so i guess that is it imma go sleep, and take care everyone xx