Bitter Aftertaste

[2pm] The Truth About Love

I would have never imagined that I'd see him again, right in front of my eyes at this very moment... It just feels so unreal like I'm currently in a work of fiction. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe this is a doppelgänger or my mind is just messing with me because I didn't sleep a single wink last night. I was busy studying everything there is about coffee just to prepare for this job. Actually it was unnecessary but my curiosity couldn't help it. Right now my curiosity is directed to this familiar looking fellow. Even if it’s truly him, I can’t let him find me yet because the last time we met we were on bad terms. Although another part of me secretly wants him to recognize me... I flipped my name tag over before he approached me.

It's him. No doubt about it. My inference was confirmed when I saw his eyes. Those were the same warm round eyes I remembered but there’s now a hint sadness in them.


His appearance has changed a lot from when I last saw him. His outfit is mostly composed of blue pieces instead of his signature color red. His hair is darker shade of brown than before. Almost everything about him has changed except for his love of coffee I guess. Judging by how he doesn't even need to look at the menu to make his order, what he got today must be his usual. He chose a seat by the window and spent a long time staring outside while I served orders and stole glances at him every now and then. Then when I looked in his direction for what must have been the fiftieth time, he wasn't there anymore. He must have left when I was in the middle of finishing an order. I scanned the room just to make sure my eyes weren't tricking me like how I thought they did earlier. Trust no one not even yourself when you're sleep deprived as .

I was in the middle of cleaning up when he suddenly came in again. It was dark outside and the other shops around closed early. This guy decided to grab another coffee at this time of day? Does this guy carry a watch with him or what? Or does  his  own body decides for itself when to get coffee? Thankfully Nichkhun was the only customer. What’s more shocking to me is that he ordered something new not only to him but to me as well. Just when I thought I knew almost everything about coffee, Nichkhun proves me wrong with his attempt at trying something new. I guess he’s feels a bit daring today or maybe this is part of his strange coffee routine. How am I supposed to make this when I only know half of the ingredients? While Nichkhun had his back turned the other way, I stealthily slid out my phone from my pant pocket and googled the list of ingredients. It was only a moment later when I realized the huge mistake that I’ve made: I looked at the ingredients for the wrong coffee. Damn you sleep depravity, you won this time.


I offered him a free coffee and in return he offers me to sit down with him. I couldn't help but notice his every  single detail on his face. I wanted to capture everything with my eyes as if they were lens to a camera, hoping this moment could last forever in a mental picture. From his soft voice to the furrowing of his eyebrows (probably when I was talking about something strange like the Electra complex) I saved it all in my mind. There's still some parts of him that stayed the same and those were the ones that I loved the most. I know there's a chance I might not see him again after this so I wanted this scene to be imprinted in my brain to be played over and over like a film.
Even till the end of our conversation, he still doesn't seem to recognize me at all or maybe he's just pretending. Despite all his changes, I found him first but how could he not remember me after everything that happened.... what if reality was that he chose to forget me. That thought made my heart heavy when I still love him to this day. The Nichkhun who loves me only existed in the past.