Tangled Up

Tangled Up

Jongup was a fresh college graduate. He was eager to get a job, so he didn’t mind that his first job was far from his dance major. He accepted the job as a data entry clerk. He was also just hired as a part-timer, but if he showed a good performance after 2 months of training and 4 months observation, they would make him a full-timer. It was a huge company that it offered a pretty much high salary even for part-timers so Jongup wouldn’t even need to have another part-time job.

 

When Jongup became a full-timer, he was given a new seat which was next to Himchan, a senior data entry clerk who had been with the company for 3 years now. Since most full-time clerks would only stay for 1-2 years in the company, the employee who stayed with the company for at least 3 years would be given a title as a senior.

 

They only knew each other’s names and never really got to talk to each other before. Come to think of it, Jongup had basically exchanged conversations to all full-timers except for Himchan. They only exchanged greetings like “hi” or “good morning.” But after just spending one day together as seatmates, Jongup felt more comfortable and closer to Himchan than the people he had more conversations with in the past or the people he hung out with since he entered the company.

 

On the first day as seatmates, Jongup also got to meet Himchan’s boyfriend, Yongguk. He had seen Yongguk around before but never said anything to him, not even a simple greeting. Jongup purposely tried to stay away since Yongguk gives off a strict and serious atmosphere around him. He almost thought that Yongguk was another person when Himchan introduced them to each other because Yongguk smiled handsomely at Jongup and  gave off a friendly vibe. As a boyfriend, Yongguk has also been very sweet to Himchan by giving him snacks or exchanging a short conversation before heading back to his office which was 5 floors above theirs. Then Jongup learned that Yongguk’s job was of a chief financial officer within the company.

 

Even though Jongup and Himchan became close friends, their break time is spent with other people. Himchan would be with his boyfriend, Yongguk, while Jongup would be with his own group of friends which consists of Zelo who was hired at the same time as him, Youngjae who is a senior and was hired at the same time as Himchan, and Daehyun who is a few months away from being a senior (which also means that he had been with the company for at least 2 years already).

 

“You seem to be getting along well with Himchan, but I gotta warn ya, don’t fall for him, man.” Daehyun said the last few words more seriously. “Though there’s no news about him two-timing Yongguk, that might only be because they just became a couple 2 months ago. Before Yongguk, he basically sleeps or dates anybody. Two-timing was also his thing.”

 

“I don’t think you need to warn him over something like that. Jongup wouldn’t be the type of guy to ruin a couple’s relationship,” Zelo defended his dear friend.

 

“Besides, I think Himchan might really be serious with Yongguk. He did tell me before that he would never get involved with anyone within the company since he didn’t want to compromise his job.” Youngjae could basically read the question in Jongup’s mind and decided to answer without Jongup asking verbally. “Yes, I did try to make him my boyfriend before.”

 

Jongup felt like he was hearing about a different person, but then again, he didn’t expect for Himchan to have the same interests as him or to be able to engage long conversations and jokes with him. Then he wondered if Himchan really did have the same interests as him or if the other was just really good at socializing people and getting them to bed with him. After some more thinking, Jongup was pretty sure though that Himchan doesn’t want to him. Their conversations were all fun and casual. No innuendos or flirting. Besides, if Himchan would really cheat on his boyfriend, it wouldn’t be with someone like him, right?

 

Jongup did develop a small crush on Himchan, but it was just a crush. He was pretty sure he wasn’t the only one in the company having a crush on Himchan even if the other already had a boyfriend. Besides, it was just a small crush. The feeling would probably fade away in time. He just couldn’t help but think it would be nice to have someone like Himchan as a boyfriend and that it doesn’t necessarily have to be Himchan himself.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

On the day that Himchan was absent, Jongup didn’t expect for Yongguk to show up since his boyfriend wasn’t around, but he did. “Um… you do know that your boyfriend is absent, right?” Jongup asked since he knew that Yongguk and Himchan were living together in an apartment.

 

“Of course, silly,” Yongguk laughed and reached out to pat Jongup’s head. Then the atmosphere turned a bit awkward when they both realized that Yongguk just touched Jongup for the first time.  Not to mention that patting on the head can be quite… affectionate. Yongguk pretended to cough a bit so he could retract his hand and cover his mouth as he coughed.”I brought snacks.” He placed the food on Jongup’s table.

 

“Wow!” Jongup widened his eyes. He was used to Yongguk bringing snacks, but it was mostly for Himchan and Himchan would share it to him. He did notice lately that Yongguk would bring a different share for Jongup, so Himchan wouldn’t have to share his own snack. He never expected a visit or a snack from Yongguk today since Himchan was absent. “Thanks.” He opened the wrapper and took a bite from the chocolate bar.

 

“And one more thing…” Yongguk placed a piece of paper with a cellphone numbers on it. “My cellphone number and Himchan’s. Himchan wants to be able to communicate with you even when he’s absent or outside the office.”

 

“Oh, I’ll make sure to give him a text message later then.” Jongup said as he brought out his cellphone and started to type in the contact numbers. He could understand about having Himchan’s number, but why would Yongguk give him his number too.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” Yongguk didn’t offer any explanation on why he gave out his number to Jongup as he simply walked out.

 

“Woah… what was that all about?” Zelo stopped over Jongup’s desk and sat on the edge of it. “Yongguk gave you a snack? Could this be a love triangle forming?”

 

“Shut up. It’s not anything like that. He’s just doing that out of habit.”Jongup defended the other as he continued to chew on the chocolate bar in his mouth.

 

“I doubt that.” Youngjae showed up too. “It always starts with the small things, Jongup.”

 

“Even if it means something to Yongguk, if it doesn’t mean anything to Jongup, then there should be nothing to worry about,” Daehyun commented as he passed by Jongup’s desk on his way to the toilet.

 

Jongup didn’t think there was anything to worry about as he typed a text message to Himchan, telling the other that Yongguk just gave him the snacks and contact numbers. Himchan replied, saying that he instructed his boyfriend to do that. Jongup showed the message to his friends.

 

“So does this mean that it’s Himchan who really likes Jongup?” Zelo asked.

 

“Stop it, you guys. There’s no hidden meaning over anything,” Jongup rolled his eyes. “Get back to work already. Don’t you have quotas to reach?” With that, Zelo and Youngjae returned to their own desks.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

A few days later, Jongup got his first chat message from Yongguk who was simply asking what’s his favorite Pocky flavor. Jongup texted back his reply (strawberry). The next day, Yongguk brought Pocky for snacks and made sure that Jongup received the strawberry flavor while Himchan received the matcha flavor.

 

Every now and then, Yongguk would ask Jongup which flavor or what snack he liked. It doesn’t really happen everyday, but when it does happen, Yongguk never fails to bring what snack Jongup liked the next day. Also, they don’t chat online about other stuff.

 

Jongup was still mostly talkative to Himchan in real life and in online life.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

“I’m thinking about changing seats,” Jongup opened up to Himchan. He didn’t want Himchan to misunderstand about the reason he wanted to change seats. “People are making rumors about us. I don’t want to trouble you and Yongguk.”

 

“You’re not troubling me or Yongguk. If anything, Yongguk and I are grateful to have you as my seatmate. Yongguk doesn’t engage conversations much with other people, but he’s different with you. Also, I feel less bored with work when you’re around. But if the rumors really bother you that much, then I’ll understand.” Himchan may have sounded calm and sincere, but Jongup was able to pick up a bit of hurt in Himchan’s tone.

 

“What they say don’t bother me. I like having you as my seatmate too. I was just worried about you and especially Yongguk. I don’t want him getting jealous because of the rumors.”

 

Jongup could see Himchan’s face brightening up now that Jongup made it clear that he wouldn’t go through with the changing seats. “I have seen Yongguk getting jealous over my previous seatmates even though I wasn’t even close to them as I am with you. I can assure you that Yongguk isn’t jealous or angry at you.”

 

“Um… that’s also another thing. There’s also a rumor going on between me and Yongguk,” Jongup pointed out.

 

“People are too quick to judge.” Himchan simply shrugged. “They think Yongguk is giving you the same special treatment as he did for me before. Well, maybe he is, but I’m not jealous or angry about it.”

 

“That’s good.” Jongup was honestly relieved to have this conversation with Himchan. Now, he doesn’t have to worry about what other people think or how Himchan or Yongguk would think about the rumors. Besides, there will be always new rumors to talk about and the old rumors would be forgotten or buried.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

When December came, it marked off 4 months for Jongup and Himchan as seatmates. They never saw each other outside the office despite the constant communication via text messages or online chat. There were some weekends when Himchan would try to invite Jongup out for a movie, but Jongup always declined. He had other things he wanted to do on weekends and other friends to catch up to. As much as he liked Himchan and Yongguk, he definitely wouldn’t want to spend his weekend as a third wheel.

 

The company’s Christmas party would be the first time for them to see each other outside the office. Himchan had offered to fetch Jongup at his place so they could go to the party together. Jongup assumed that Yongguk would be there along to fetch him, so he was surprised when he didn’t see Yongguk inside the car. “Where’s Yongguk?” Jongup asked as he sat beside the driver’s seat, thinking it should be Yongguk sitting here and not him.

 

“Ah, I guess I forgot to tell you that Yongguk would be spending a week with his family at the countryside so he wouldn’t be able to attend the Christmas party tonight. He just left the apartment this morning,” Himchan explained casually, but Jongup could sense that Himchan didn’t just forget to tell him. Himchan purposely didn’t inform him.

 

Jongup mentally prepared himself. He wasn’t worried about rumors spreading again because he would be seen at the party with Himchan and without Yongguk around. He was more worried about whatever Himchan had in mind for him.

 

Everything went fine during the Christmas party. There was supposed to be an afterparty at a club which Jongup declined. He definitely didn’t want to risk getting carried away with being drunk or dancing with Himchan especially without Yongguk around. The small crush he had initially for Himchan turned into a bigger crush since the last month or so. Not to mention, he also has some weird fluttery feelings for Yongguk as well. With alcohol, Jongup might slip out his thoughts and feelings which he would rather keep it all to himself for the sake of peace and friendship.Himchan declined the afterparty as well, stating that he would need to drive Jongup back home.

 

“You don’t need to drive me home. I can take the taxi,” Jongup gently refused Himchan’s offer.

 

“I insist on driving you home,” Himchan simply stated, but later on, Jongup found out that Himchan wasn’t driving him back to his house. “I said I’ll drive you home. I didn’t specifically say that it would be your home though. The night is still young. Let’s have some fun at my place.”

 

Jongup couldn’t refuse since Himchan had been nothing but kind and generous to him this evening. “Alright, but I should be home by midnight.”

 

“Or I could convince you to stay.”

 

Shivers ran down Jongup’s spine as he heard Himchan’s flirty tone. He wasn’t mistaken of that tone since he had heard Himchan use it with Yongguk a lot. He may have a crush on Himchan and he may have liked the thought of Himchan flirting at him, but he definitely does not getting into any trouble with Yongguk, especially since Yongguk considers him as a friend and Yongguk didn’t have much friends to begin with.

 

“I don’t think that will be a good idea without Yongguk around.”

 

“I already have Yongguk’s permission.”

 

Jongup’s jaw almost dropped. He wasn’t sure if Himchan was telling the truth or just bluffing about having Yongguk’s permission, but he could definitely see that Himchan was determined to make him spend the night over. He must think of an excuse to go home somehow, but before his brain could come up with an idea, Himchan pulled the car over at the apartment’s garage. “We’re here.”

 

Jongup became distracted with the music CD collection. Himchan would introduce Jongup to a different singer or band, putting their CD on the player, and playing the song. Himchan knew that Jongup loved to dance, so he mostly introduced hiphop, pop, and electronic type of music. Himchan went to the kitchen to get some drinks and snacks. When he came back to the living room, he saw Jongup dancing powerfully.

 

Then Jongup made a turn and saw Himchan. He immediately stopped dancing. “I got carried away.” He was slightly out of breath from dancing. His cheeks were flushed from being caught dancing by Himchan. People knew he was a dance major, but nobody from the company really saw him dancing.

 

Himchan placed the tray of snacks and drinks on a nearby table before approaching Jongup with fast steps. He paused right in front of Jongup simply staring at him without saying anything. As Jongup waited for Himchan to say something, he was grabbed by the collar and kissed.

 

Jongup was surprised at how his mouth and tongue immediately responded to Himchan. His brain wasn’t functioning properly. His body was moving on its own with his hands squeezing on Himchan’s hips and his thumbs teasings on the flesh right above Himchan’s pants. He could hear and feeling Himchan in his mouth.

 

When they parted from the kiss, Jongup’s brain started functioning again. “. This shouldn’t have happened.”

 

Himchan simply laughed. “This should happen again.” He pulled Jongup for another kiss.

 

Jongup managed to raise his hand to block Himchan’s mouth from touching his lips again.  “Seriously, Himchan, you have a boyfriend.” He knew about Himchan’s playboy image before getting into a relationship with Yongguk. People warned him not to get too close to Himchan. Maybe he should have listened to them, but he didn’t really regret not listening to them because he always had fun with Himchan. The kiss they shared earlier was wonderful too, but… “Yongguk would kill me.”

 

“No, I won’t.”

 

Jongup’s head instantly snapped to the side to see that Yongguk was in the living room with them. “Wait… I thought you were…” Then he looked at Himchan again. “You lied to me about Yongguk spending a week with his family.”

 

“If I went to the Christmas party with Yongguk, I figured you would just go along with your group of friends. If Yongguk would be the one present at the party with you and without me around, it might cause even more rumors,” Himchan explained. “Also, whenever I tried to casually invite you to come with us whether at the mall or at this apartment, you always decline.”

 

“So this was all planned out, but why?” Jongup wondered. His gaze landed on Yongguk again, waiting for the other to speak again and also wondering why the other didn’t seem to be angry despite witnessing his boyfriend making out with a friend.

 

“We both like you, Jongup,” Yongguk replied calmly. “And it’s pretty obvious you’re trying to avoid being alone with us,so we kinda figured out that you must be feeling something too though those feelings are probably for Himchan.” He looked slightly hurt at the last few words.

 

“You also made me feel something, Yongguk. I did notice some of your gestures and actions that made me wonder if it had any more meaning behind it than just friendship, but I would always dismiss those kind of thoughts because you already had Himchan.” Jongup confessed and watched Yongguk’s reaction closely. “And yeah, I have a crush on Himchan too.”

 

Himchan and Yongguk looked equally surprised to hear Jongup’s confession, but Yongguk was able to recover from it first. “I believe it’s time for my kiss too.” Yongguk’s arm wrapped around Jongup’s waist to pull the other closer. His lips brushed lightly against Jongup, still feeling slightly hesitant. It was Jongup who placed more pressure on the lips, giving Yongguk more confidence to deepen their kiss.

 

Jongup never imagined that his first relationship would involve having 2 boyfriends and that his first and second kiss would be taken by them, but he was certainly not complaining about getting tangled up with them.

 

 

THE END

 

A/N: This is just originally a oneshot, but I might be able to write a sequel depending on your suggestions or ideas. I can't really promise anything though because there are just a lot of rare pairings and new plots I wanna write about. ^_^

 
 

THE END