Chapter IV

Los Tres Grandes: Romeo and Juliet

It was the end of the year, which meant that it was the award show season. This ranged from MAMA, Seoul Music Awards, Golden Disk Awards, Asia Artist Awards and so much more. Both NCT 127 and Black Pink were nominated for awards since they were doing well on the charts and with the general public. They were named the "Monster Rookies" of 2016 because of their fast rise to fame. Taeyong had never felt so nervous. He wasn't even this nervous when he debuted. Ok, that was a lie, he was just as nervous. Thankfully, Doyoung has been his source of comfort these recent days as their schedule gets packed with different award shows. 

Taeyong was peacefully sleeping until a nightmare attacked his happy dreams and he woke up. He sighed a big breath of relief when he realized he was just dreaming. He looked at the side of his bed and saw a note with warm hot chocolate and marshmallows sitting next to it. It was a message from Doyoung: 

Dear Taeyong Hyung, 

I had to leave early due to a schedule, but I made sure to make you some hot chocolate in case you got another nightmare. Take it easy!

                                                                                                                                                                           From Your Favorite Donsaeng, 

                                                                                                                                                                           Doyoung 

Taeyong smiled a little bit. He sat up in his bed and drank some of it and tried to get back to sleep until the manager knocked on his door. He sighed and opened it. His manager was looking at him as if he had three heads. 

"What?" Taeyong shrugged. 

"Why are you shirtless? Go put on some clothes." The manager yelled. Taeyong dragged himself back to the room and yawned as he was putting on his clothes. 

Once he was done, the manager dragged him out into the van and he went to whatever schedule he had today. On the other hand, Lisa was staring out the window of a vehicle. She turned around and saw Jisoo and Rose sleeping in the back. The seat next to her, Jennie had taken off her headphones and was about to take a nap herself. 

"Unnie, are you nervous about tonight?" Lisa asked. 

"Why should we be, we are so popular that even Twice might not be able to stop us." She responded. 

"I didn't mean that I meant." Lisa didn't finish her sentence. Jennie shrugged and took a nap. Lisa was talking about NCT. It was the first time in years that Jennie and Taeyong would see each other. She wondered how it would be. Jennie knew what Lisa was implying and she too wondered what it would be like. Did he grow any taller? Will he become even more stuck up than he originally was? 

Flashback 

It was Saturday. A nervous Jennie was on her way to audition for YG Entertainment. She could not screw it up as she begged her mom to allow her to come back to New Zealand, after realizing her dreams. She saw the bus already at the stop, it was about to pull off until a boy saw her running after it and stopped the driver from leaving. 

"Thank you." She said to both the boy and the bus driver. She was looking around and decided to follow the boy to a seat. They both sat down and she smiled at him. 

"You saved my life," Jennie exclaimed. 

"How so?" He turned to look at her and asked. Jennie widened her eyes in amazement. He was gorgeous. His face was a little round, but she could tell it would become much more angled in the future. His eyes were big and looked like crystals shining. 

"U-um I have somewhere important to go today and I can't be late." She stumbled. The boy smiled and Jennie felt like she was going to die from all the beauty that was displaying itself in front of her. 

"I'm Lee Taeyong." He said reaching out his hand. 

"I'm Jennie." She said taking his hand. The two smiled at each other. 

"Based on the direction, I'm assuming it's an idol audition?" He asked. Jennie was shocked that he picked up on something like that. All she could do was nod. 

"Which company?" He asked. "

"YG?" She responded. He was surprised but then smiled. He leaned near her ear, "I'm not supposed to tell anyone this, but I am a trainee in SM." he revealed. Jennie was not surprised. He was handsome so it made sense. 

"Well if I get in, it would mean we are rivals." She joked. 

"We will be rivals. I am sure of it. You know how those two are. Our companies are at complete odds with one another. We would be star-crossed friends. " He also joked. The bus stopped and Taeyong got up. 

"Leaving so soon?" Jennie asked. Taeyong nodded and waved her goodbye, " Hopefully we'll meet again." He said, and that they did. Jennie had passed the audition with flying colors, to the point where the CEO himself, Yang Hyun Suk said she could become the next GD.  Since they both took the same bus route, the two got so close to the point that representatives of both SM and YG were sent from their respective companies to spy on the two. Soon enough Taeyong was called to meet with the CEO of SM to discuss what was going on. 

He was extremely nervous as one of the secretaries escorted him to the office. The secretary opened the door and Taeyong saw not only the CEO but also the executive producer and founder Lee Sooman, the CFO and other important executives from the company. 

"I would like you all to welcome, Lee Taeyong." Lee Sooman said, and the people in the room clapped for him. Taeyong nervously bowed and realized that this was a meeting that he was invited to. 

"He is the future of SM." The CEO said. Taeyong widened his eyes in shock. Him? He didn't even know what an idol was until the company recruited him. 

"We found young Taeyong, with his family. He had no idea what an idol was, nor the skills to become one. But with our top trainers, he became a triple threat and is still a trainee." The CEO continued. Taeyong shyly bowed to the CEO. 

"That is why we will take our top trainees like Taeyong and others, and form a group called SM Rookies, that will help showcase not just their talents, but to also help gather fanbases before they even debut." Lee Sooman added. Everyone in the room clapped in amazement including Taeyong who was only now hearing about this for the first time. When the meeting finally ended, the CEO pulled Taeyong to the side.

"I hope you take those words to heart." He said, "You are the future of SM which means, you have no time for distractions. If you continue to hang out with that YG hatchling, your hard work will all go to waste." 

Taeyong nodded and headed back out. The next time he saw Jennie, he didn't bother to sit next to her, "Oppa, what's wrong?" She asked sitting next to him. 

"For your good, don't talk to me anymore. " Taeyong said with a cold glare. She had never seen him look so scary. She went back to her seat. After that day, the two of them hadn't seen each other until the day of the Big Reveal, which was a summit held by the top three entertainments, SM, JYP, and YG to showcase their best trainees. It was kind of a cheat sheet for the companies to see what the other was doing and helped to build tension between the trainees. 

Before each trainee would come out, there was a video that would show them. Afterward, they would put on solo performances and take a seat. Jennie and Taeyong kept making eye contact with each other. It had been a year since that time on the bus when Taeyong looked at her in a mean way. The trainees and representatives then had a chance to chat with each other. 

"Jennie. " Taeyong said blankly. 

"Lee Taeyong," Jennie said back. 

Whatever friendship these two had was completely shattered since they were brainwashed by their prospective companies. The flames of passion and rivalry were so engulfed that it somehow created this weird type of hatred between the two of them. Their companies enjoyed every moment of it because it meant that they would work their hardest to ensure one doesn't try to surpass the other. It would be a cat and mouse game where no one knew which was the cat and the mouse.

End of Flashback 

"The Asia Artist Best Rookie award goes to, NCT 127 and Black Pink. " The two groups stood up and went to go and collect their awards. They both formally bowed to one another and Taeyong took one award while Lisa took the other. It was awkward between the two groups as they were rookies and were nervous. 

Taeyong was so happy that he tried not to cry. Black Pink was asked to say their bit first. Jennie decided to do the thanking speech. 

"Hyung, are you crying?" Mark asked Taeyong. Taeyong was dazed out until he realized what Mark said and quickly shook his head to say no. A couple of the other members thought Jennie and the others were cute and were confused as to why YG artists are portrayed as these horrendous people. 

Next NCT 127 was called to the microphone while Taeyong and later on Jaehyun made a speech, "Our first award." Lisa said to Jisoo while she agreed. Finally, the speeches were over and the two groups went backstage. Jennie's heart was pounding as she felt familiar steps getting closer and closer to her until she got nervous and tripped over her foot. She was about to fall until someone caught her. 

She slowly looked up and saw it was Taeyong. He was even more handsome up close like this. She sensed no hostility in his eyes. Instead, they seemed gentle. It was almost as if he was the Taeyong from when they first met. She almost muttered the word, "Oppa" until Taeyong coldly pushed her off of him. The other NCT members were trying hard to hold in their laughter. Jennie felt humiliated as her fellow members consulted her. 

Before the two groups even got a chance to talk, the producer of the award ceremony dragged them out on to the red carpet to take a picture, as this year's best rookies. Afterward, Taeyong went towards Jennie. 

"A-Are you okay? I'm sorry about earlier." He said. 

"Long time no see," Jennie said, completely ignoring his apology. She didn't want to accept the apology because she believed that it was a trap to try and embarrass her again. 

"Clearly it was a waste talking to you," Taeyong said walking away. 

"I'm telling you this right now. Do not fall for that SM brat that you've now befriended. I don't want any guys breaking your heart." Jennie said to Lisa. 

"Where's the others?" Jennie asked. Lisa pointed and she watched as Jisoo and Rose were chatting with the other NCT members. 

"Guy's we are leaving!" She yelled while the two rushed to her side. The groups waved each other off. Jennie couldn't stop thinking about how annoying Taeyong was, he helps her and then he acts cold towards her. It was like a push and pull situation, and she refused to be a part of it. After today, both of them knew that this was not the last that they would see of each other.