You Drive Me

You Drive Me

∞•∞•∞•∞•∞•∞•∞•∞•∞•∞

Mimi was hella nervous. Definitely excited as well, but that was more or less masked by the great amount of nerves she was experiencing. Gosh, why was she so anxious about hanging out with her best friend Yooa?

Oh, right, because Mimi was planning on showing off the brand new car that she got from her parents by taking Yooa out for the first ride. Also because the two had been in an awkward position for a little while—Mimi wasn’t sure if they were “best friends” or “more than best friends” or “girlfriends.”

Girlfriend, huh. Mimi could hardly bring herself to imagine using the term girlfriend to describe their relationship; she just did not know where exactly they stood. It made her heart flutter a lot lately.

Or rather, explode into a dancing array of happy butterflies that came to reside in her stomach whenever she was around Yooa.

Mimi forced as much of the nerves down as possible as she pulled up to the driveway of Yooa’s house. She checked her makeup in the mirror, fixed nonexistent flaws in her hair, and looked at her phone once again. Twelve minutes ago she texted Yooa that she’d be at her house in fifteen minutes. Well, better to be three minutes early than a second late.

The blonde got out of her car and stood beside the driver door, staring at the entrance of the house. All right, time to just go. Brushing lint off her shirt, Mimi took brisk steps to the front door and raised her hand to ring the doorbell. But then those nerves ceased the movement of her arm. Should she really ring the bell? Should she knock on the door instead? Maybe she should text Yooa and tell her that she had arrived and wait for the girl to come to the door.

Why was this an issue now? Mimi knew there were way more important things to worry about, like how she hadn’t brought anything for Yooa oh my gosh she should’ve gotten flowers or something but really why because this wasn’t an official date or anything, they’d gone out together so many times but again what were they—

Mimi suddenly noticed a motion in the window beside the door and saw Yooa sticking her head out from behind the curtain. Both of them smiled, and Mimi could hear the other girl ask, “Aren’t you going to knock?” through the glass.

So Mimi knocked a couple times, and Yooa immediately opened the door.

“Hey there, you!” Yooa said.

“Yo. Ready to head out?” Mimi asked. She indeed felt the butterflies still in her stomach but poised herself as best as she could. She wanted to look cool, she wanted to appear confident and “chill” because that’s what Yooa would want her girlfriend to be, right?

…Wait. Damn butterflies, she meant best friend not that other word.

Yooa said goodbye to her parents, who reminded her to be back before they left for a business party that night, and stepped out of the house. She linked her arm with Mimi’s, oblivious to the weakness in the girl’s heart.

“Did your dad get a new car?” Yooa asked, heading towards the vehicle.

“Nah, that one’s mine,” Mimi stated proudly. Actually, her dad was the one that bought it but it was indeed for her. Yooa surely would be impressed.

And she appeared so. “No way! Is it really?” she gasped. Mimi opened the front passenger door of the azure-colored Veloster and gestured for Yooa to enter.

“Yup, and you’re the first one to ride in it. Well, besides my dad when we drove it from the dealership.”

Yooa let her hands roam over the leather seats and looked in awe around the interior of the car. Mimi closed the door and hurried over to the other side where she got in.

“Where to, madam?” she asked.

“Wherever you want to take me,” Yooa answered.

“Alright, please buckle your seatbelt and let’s roll out,” Mimi said, starting the car. She shifted it into gear, only to have it stall after moving a couple feet. Her face immediately heated up in embarrassment and she turned to Yooa before the other girl could say anything.

“Shut up, I know how to drive this, that was just a bad start.”

Yooa smirked and laid a hand on Mimi’s shoulder. “Don’t worry, I trust you,” she said. Mimi nodded absentmindedly and with somewhat clammy hands, got the car going again.

Chill, Mimi, chill. If she focused on not making a mistake then she would be fine. Possibly, if Yooa’s hand still on her shoulder wasn’t distracting enough.

And there, then she had to go and start running her thumb against Mimi’s shoulder, up and down by her collarbone. Mimi guessed that Yooa thought it would calm her down to help her drive better but goddammit did the brunette know that she was subconsciously making her more jittery on the inside?

Mimi just had to keep saying “don’t screw up, don’t screw up,” over and over in her head. Eventually Yooa lowered her arm though, allowing Mimi to let out a breath she didn’t know she was holding. 

But it seemed as if Yooa would give Mimi many more breaths to hold throughout their day together—at their first destination, the aquarium, Yooa held onto Mimi while they gazed at the myriad of fishes and marine displays. The former would point out the dolphins and giggle, “They kind of look like you!”

And Mimi would cry internally when Yooa added, with a poke to the cheek, “You’re definitely cuter, though.” The blonde could only think how Yooa was even more adorable. How adorable it was that Yooa thought she could play with Mimi’s poor heart like that.

Then when they went to have dessert after lunch downtown (during which Yooa personally fed Mimi more than a few bites of both their meals), a bit of bingsu just happened to fall onto Mimi’s skin right below her shirt collar. Yooa, finding herself at fault for the mishap because she accidently-on-purpose tilted the spoon as it hit her friend’s mouth, got up to where Mimi was sitting on the other side of the table and proceeded to clean up the ice with a napkin. However, Mimi noticed a slight hesitation in Yooa’s movement, and the other girl ended up just handing the napkin to Mimi and returning to her seat.

"You can clean that up yourself," Yooa simply stated.

Mimi narrowed her eyes. The brunette's expression was somewhat...sheepish? Huh, so did Yooa chicken out of another ploy to toss Mimi's consciousness into a mess?

Hm, well then.

Smirking, Mimi said, "Aw, but it already went inside my shirt. That means you have to help me out." With the last few words, she pointedly ed the top of her shirt. She even gave a wink.

Yooa gasped, throwing a napkin at Mimi's face. "You...! I'm not going to do that."

Ah yes, Mimi, keep going.

While wiping to ice off her chest, she commented, "But if we weren't in public, you would, right? You probably wouldn't even need a napkin, you could just—"

"I'm leaving you!" Yooa suddenly exclaimed, rising from her seat. She promptly ate the last couple spoonfuls of bingsu and started walking away from their table, a twinge of pink on her cheeks.

"W-Wait!" Mimi followed after the girl. She didn't believe that she could really have made such suggestions to Yooa, with other people around especially. Catching up to Yooa, she felt some sense of triumph.

But alas, Yooa held Mimi's heart in the palm of her hand so of course she was able to turn the tables by whispering into Mimi's ear, "You’d like for me to take care of it like that, huh?” She put on a seemingly innocent smile, grabbed hold of her friend’s hand, and began leading her down the sidewalk.

Afterwards they went shopping in the area. Yooa would come out of a clothing store fitting room in dark, ripped skinny jeans that gloriously outlined her slender legs, as well as a white, off-the-shoulder crop top; Mimi of course tried her very best to keep her eyes from Yooa’s exposed abdomen. Failing.

Her gaze was still shifting when Yooa handed her an article of clothing and told her to try it on, pushing her into a room. It turned out to be a skirt, which Mimi was rather okay with, but she realized it was quite short. Like, it didn’t even reach to her fingertips when she put it on.

“Why the hell did you give this to me?” Mimi questioned as soon as she opened the door for Yooa to look at her.

And take a good look, she did.

“Because I wanted to see how hot your legs would look in a miniskirt—Very,” she answered, slightly biting the inside of her cheek while fixating her gaze on Mimi’s legs. Damn, she rocked that skirt. Maybe Yooa should find a top to pair with it, one that probably had a low v-neck…

Mimi rolled her eyes, though the blush was evident on her face. “Well, I’d never actually wear it anywhere, so I’m just gonna change back now,” she said. Mimi closed the fitting room door to Yooa’s giggling.

They had always teased each other like that, right? All the perhaps inappropriate jokes and compliments that seemed like flirting… Had they really always done that as “best friends” or was Mimi just starting to let it mess with her head now?

Whether they had or not didn’t change the fact that Mimi still couldn’t help let the small, and of course bigger, actions make her think more that she didn’t want to be simply friends with Yooa anymore. Along the way she decided that she did have feelings for her.

Well wouldn’t that make it more complicated, huh?

Driving away from downtown, Mimi felt a hand gently come to relax on hers while it was resting on the gearshift. She glanced at Yooa, who kept her gaze on the floor and offered her nothing but a sweet smile.

Somehow Mimi noticed the vehicle straying outside of the lane and instantly pulled her hand from Yooa’s in order to jerk the car back on track before they collided with something. A car horn sounded from somewhere around them. Mimi’s heart was beating fast and she knew it wasn’t from the road danger.

“Don’t get us killed,” Yooa stated mockingly.

Girl, you’re the one about to kill Mimi with all your angelic smiles and handholding.

The blonde only playfully shoved Yooa’s shoulder and laughed. “Pssh, no worries! No worries…”

Eventually they came to a park, surprisingly almost empty save for a couple people somewhere over yonder. The two got out of the car, and Mimi spoke first.

“So, did you want to take a walk or something?”

Yooa pondered for a moment before saying, “No, I just feel like staying here right now. The sun’s about to set anyway, we can watch it.”

Now Mimi would have to change her plan of holding Yooa’s hand while walking to doing so while they were stationary. At least if they were moving she could play it off as let’s-swing-our-arms-together-because-we’re-pals.

Yooa sat back against the hood of the vehicle and Mimi followed suit right next to her, albeit somewhat hesitantly. She was trying to figure out how she would proceed—should she casually drape an arm around Yooa’s shoulder? Just simply get close enough so that their arms touch?

“What made you choose this car?” Yooa spoke up, interrupting Mimi’s inner debate.

Mimi chuckled to herself. “I was just imagining which car would be the best to drive you around in.”

When Yooa raised an eyebrow, Mimi quickly realized what she had said and hurriedly gave another reply. “I mean, uh, I just thought this one was nice… From the ones that my dad suggested. You know?”

The brunette merely smiled in response, leaving Mimi to stew in her own awkwardness. Well, it was true that she had been thinking about Yooa when she picked out the car…

But her heart rate spiked without warning when Yooa softly placed her hand over Mimi’s and leaned toward the girl. Mimi subconsciously stilled her breathing; she hoped that Yooa wouldn’t be able to sense her heart beating out of her chest.

“Mimi, um…” Yooa began, but her voice trailed off. She looked down, biting her lip, and Mimi started to panic. What was this all of a sudden? What on earth was Yooa going to say?

Yooa unexpectedly guided Mimi’s hand to her own chest, greatly surprising the other. The hell was Yooa making her touch her for?

“Feel that. My heart,” Yooa said. Mimi concentrated past her initial stupor and was able to feel the rapid beating of Yooa’s heart. Wow, it was fast. So fast that Mimi would almost say that their heartbeats were in sync.

“Honestly, I’m nervous.” Yooa paused, letting out an uneasy chuckle. “Well, I know we’ve been best friends forever but it’s just that…lately, around you, I’m a bit…flustered?”

“H-Hey, if it’s about that time we were telling ghost stories—”

Yooa put a finger to Mimi’s lips and she stopped talking. The former stared directly into Mimi’s eyes and smiled. “Mihyun-ah. This isn’t about that. This is about…how I don’t know how to handle the fact that I’ve been getting all these fluttering feelings when I’m with you. All the times I tease you is not just a ‘friends’ thing, it’s more because…”

The girl’s voice grew quiet, as if she were searching for the right words to say. But Mimi swore if Yooa was saying what she thought she was saying…

“Me too,” Mimi blurted out. The corner of Yooa’s lips twitched. Mimi scratched the back of her head and let a sheepish grin come to her face. “I-I mean, my heart flutters a lot around you, I overthink things a lot more when we hang out; I know it’s because I actually really like you, and…yeah.”

“You mean, like like me?”

“Uh, yes?” Mimi cleared . “Yes. Definitely yes.”

Yooa’s heart swelled with pleasure. “That’s great. That’s really great because I like you the same way.”

Mimi had to suppress the utter screams of joy and success. After god knows how long she toiled over her feelings she finally felt relief that Yooa reciprocated them. Now she’d be able to hang out with her comfortably (more or less, she figured that Yooa would never fail to give her butterflies even now), and with confidence. She’d get to be that cool girlfriend.

So, confidence. Here we go.

“Can I do something?” Mimi asked tentatively. Yooa had an idea of what Mimi wanted to do, based on how close their faces had come to each other without either realizing. She quickly glanced to the only other people around, far enough away and didn’t seem like they were paying attention to the girls at all; she gave a small nod, and felt Mimi’s hand gently cup her jaw.

At this point Mimi’s heart rate was so accelerated that she couldn’t feel it, as if it had actually stopped in anticipation along with her breath. She brought her face to Yooa’s and their lips met.

Finally. All the times that Mimi had thought and dreamt about this moment would never have been able to prepare her for the true bliss that she was experiencing.

It was a simple kiss, only a few seconds of contact before they slowly pulled apart. They were silent, Mimi swallowing the knot in and Yooa flicking her gaze from Mimi’s eyes back to her lips. She leaned forward for another kiss, but a phone decided to interrupt their moment by ringing and by god Mimi swore she would come after whoever was calling Yooa and give them a piece of her mind for butting in.

“Hello, mom?”

Never mind. She certainly couldn’t tell Yooa’s mother what they were up to. Which got her thinking, how were they going to bring this up to either of their parents?

Yooa soon hung up her phone and sighed. “I forgot that my mom and dad are heading out… They want me home before they leave so that I can watch over my little brother.”

“Do you want me to stay with you, like sleep over? Or would I be a distraction?” Mimi smirked. The other girl clicked her tongue and playfully tapped Mimi’s nose.

“Sure, you can stay for a little bit!” Yooa stood up and began walking around towards the passenger door, when Mimi grabbed her wrist.

“Hold on, where’s that kiss you were gonna give me?” the blonde asked, rising to her feet.

Yooa paused and returned, advancing very close to Mimi. Close enough that her breath drifted across the other’s mouth. “Who said I was going to give you another kiss?” she said in a low voice.

“Er, please?” Mimi pouted.

“Aw, you don’t have to pout like that,” Yooa cooed. She then pressed her lips against Mimi’s.

Darn right Yooa you were going to give Mimi another kiss.

But whoa whoa, hold up, she was already pulling away? That was barely even a second!

Mimi’s thirsty little heart made her reach out and hold the back of Yooa’s neck so that their mouths could reconnect. Yooa was slightly taken aback but easily settled into Mimi’s impulsive move, gradually moving her lips against the other’s.

Although she—as well as Mimi—was surprised when Mimi slowly turned her so that her lower back came to rest against the hood of the car. Mimi stretched an arm out to support her weight, and laid a hand on Yooa’s waist while the brunette instinctively raised both of her hands to Mimi’s face.

Mimi wasn’t really sure of what she was doing, though she wanted to continue. She wanted more. Their first kiss was heaven on earth, but now Mimi felt like she was tempting the devil and she liked it.

When she felt brave enough to pass her tongue over Yooa’s lip, however, her resolve weakened. Was this too much? Omo, was God watching her?? What if he didn’t approve, what if he told Yooa’s parents, and oh my god that’s right they were waiting for Yooa to get home so she could watch her brother and they could leave…

“Ah, sorry!” Mimi exclaimed, putting some distance between Yooa and herself. She self-consciously looked around and saw only one child, probably about 7 years old, gawking at them with an open mouth. The child clapped, strangely enough, and ran off, presumably to his mother who was nowhere to be seen.

Mimi covered her eyes and crouched to the ground. “Um… I’m sorry, that was awkward,” she muttered. Yooa got down to her level and tucked a stray strand of hair behind Mimi’s ear, planting a kiss on her head and wrapping her in an embrace.

“You’re adorable. Come on, let’s go!” She stood back up, offering a hand to Mimi.

They got into the car; Mimi buckled her seatbelt and let out a deep sigh. She turned her head towards Yooa and said, “So, can we continue that sometime?”

Yooa rolled her eyes and pinched Mimi’s cheek. “If you can’t keep those erted thoughts out of your head then you should just let me drive,” she giggled. Mimi turned the engine on and Yooa added, “You are a good kisser though so I’ll consider it.” Mimi’s lips lifted into a sly grin.

“Sweet.”

She nonchalantly reached an arm over towards Yooa and leaned in. She was hoping to smoothly steal a kiss but Yooa stuck her finger onto Mimi’s forehead, halting the girl’s movement.

“Mimi, I have to get home.”

Mimi put her hands up in surrender. “Okay, okay…” The last thing she wanted to do was make Yooa’s parents upset, and she was still on good terms with them. They treated her almost as a second daughter… She’d have to find a very tactful way to tell them about this.

Whatever the case, Mimi hoped that Yooa’s brother would fall asleep early tonight so that she could make some moves. Hot damn.

 


 

So when I first started writing this, I wasn't really a fan of these two together, but sht happens ya know. Sht really really happens.

Questions, comments, concerns? Let me know~