The Patronus Charm

Expecto Patronum

- It is the hardest charm among all, I can't believe we really have to make a patronus.

Luhan smiled as he heard his best friend anxious voice.

- Is Kim Minseok afraid to do a charm ? he said.

- No ! Of course not. I'm just saying that I found it weird, nothing much, I'm not afraid.

- Yeah, sure.

Minseok glared at him but choose to not answer as Luhan was obviously making fun of him. Actually, it was Luhan who was anxious about this exercice. It was their sixth year at Hogwarts but Luhan was not really the best in charms in general so he doubt he could do a patronus. The fact that Minseok, the best student in this class and in many others, was nervous too made him worry even more. How stupid was it ? Him, a Gryffindor student, the house of bravery and courage, was scared of a simple charm. He sighed, he was sure Minseok would be able to do it. Even their teacher was looking at him with eyes full of hope. His best friend was a Ravenclaw and really had all qualities of this house. He was smart, hardworking and motivated when it comes to classes, but was also very creative and original. He always tried to learn more than just what was told by the teachers He would never admit it, but he was really competitive too. Plus, he was a quidditch player so when it was Gryffindor against Ravenclaw, he barely talked to Luhan before and during the game, especially that Luhan played too, and then came back like nothing happened. Luhan did not really cared about that. He found it funny. Minseok was too precious to him to let something like that in the way of their friendship. He admired him a lot, he would never told him, but he was glad that Minseok was his friend, he was like a ray of sunshine in his life.

- Focus on a memory, the teacher voice took him out of his thought, the happiest memory you could have.

Luhan closed his eyes, thinking about his life. What was his happiest moment ? The day he received his letter for Hogwarts ? He was from a muggle family and even if some strange things had happened in his childhood he never thought that it could be something like magic. He remembered that he was really happy that day. He opened his eyes, maybe it would be enough. He looked at Minseok, he could see on his face how hard he was thinking and it made him smile. Then, suddenly, it became clear. His happiest memory was not when he learnt that he was a wizard. His happiest memory was the day he met Minseok. He could totally remember that day. It was their first class of charms, Gryffindor and Ravenclaw, Luhan was amazed by everything he had seen in Hogwarts but was also really lonely. He was not the shy type usually but it was such a strange new universe that he did not knew how to proceed to make some new friends. So, in this class, he just sat randomly somewhere and he ended up next to Minseok. At first, it was a bit awkward, they did not talk, they just tried to avoid any contact between them and acted like the other one was not there. However, it was hard to totally ignored Minseok as he answered correctly at every question. Luhan was really amazed, he was discovering everything but this guy clearly seemed like he already knew everything, and the "wow" he was thinking at that moment, he said it out loud. He was so embarassed when Minseok looked at him with his big eyes but when he started smiling at him, it just relieved him. All of a sudden, he felt very comfortable and just said to Minseok that he was very impressed to see all his knowledge and as much as he was talking, the Ravenclaw student's smile became bigger. It just happened like that, they felt some kind of connection and they spent all those years together. The most happiest years for Luhan and it all started with this meeting. Yes it had to be this memory.

- Why are you staring at me like that ? Did you find your memory ?

- Oh ? Hum, yes I think so, Luhan answered a bit embarassed.

- Me too, I...

Luhan never heard the end of this sentance because Minseok was cut off by the teacher who made the tables disappeared making them stood up.

- Everyone has his or her happy memory ? It really has to be a strong memory.

The class nodded.

- Very well. Focus on this memory, take your wand and... Expecto Patronum.

His own patronus went out of his wand. If Luhan had already heard of this charm, it was the first time that he was seeing it. It was beautiful, so pure, it brought a feeling of peace and happiness immediatly. The delicate animal turned arount in the class, every student was following it with their eyes. He was impressed. No way he could manage to do something like that. It was obviously powerful magic and he was the type to miss a basic spell.

- Now, your turn ! said their teacher.

A bit nervous, Luhan took out his wand. At least they were all trying it at the same time, not one by one. He breathed and focused on his memory instead of his fear. He was first disturb by the voice of other students trying the charm, but he saw no lights which reassured him. When he was sure that he was totally into this memory he pronouced the spell. The same atmosphere as when his teacher created his patronus came back. By reflex, he looked for Minseok, sure that it was him who managed to create one too, but, when he noticed that his friend was already staring at him with both his eyes and mouth opened, he understood. It was his patronus, a stag, a beautiful and majestical stag.

- Wonderful Luhan ! Thirty points to Gryffindor !

***

- I can't believe you did it.

- Well, I'm not that bad.

- It's not what I mean.

Minseok and Luhan were walking on the castle, class was over for this day but they had time before dinner, and Minseok was still obsessed by this patronus thing. He kept on talking about it.

- I tried so hard but why does it don't work for me ?

- I don't know.

- Mabe it was my memory ? What was yours ?

Luhan blushed. He could not tell Minseok that his memory was simply him.

- The day I got my Hogwarts letter.

- Really ?

Minseok frowned, not convinced at all.

- Yeah, I mean, it was a big moment for me, I never expected that magic existed before that.

The Gryffindor student looked down, he knew Minseok could read him like an open book and he did not want him to find out he was lying.

- If you say so.

He stayed silent for a bit, Luhan was still staring at the ground.

- I gotta go.

- What ?

He raised his head suddenly.

- I need to practice. I can't believe you can do it and not me.

- Minseok, seriously ?

He did not answer and just ran away, leaving Luhan alone. He sighed. He had reach a new level of competitivity.

***

Luhan was sitting in Gryffindor common room, next to the fire, his other friend, Yixing, by his side. They already ate and, since Minseok did not show up at dinner, he decided to directly come back here and work a bit. Unfortunately, it was impossible to focus more than two seconds.

- Can I tell you something ? He suddenly asked to Yixing.

Yixing was his closest friend in his house. They mostly spend time together when Minseok was not here, even if the two get along well. But Yixing was someone he could totally trust.

- Go ahead.

His house mate put down his parchment and looked at him.

- Okay, so, you see the patronus I made ?

- Yes. I hope you are not going to boast about it, even if you could because it was amazing, but still.

- No ! No ! It's just...

He stopped for a moment, choosing his words.

- Please don't find it weird, okay ? The memory I used, it involves Minseok. It's the day we met.

Yixing opened his mouth, probably to say something, but Luhan did not let him :

- Nevermind, forget about it, it must be nothing. I mean he is my friend, of course I'm happy I met him, right ?

- Yeah, maybe, but I'm your friend too and I doubt you could do a corporeal patronus with a memory of me.

Luhan stayed still for a moment thinking of it.

- And, so ?

- I don't know, maybe he's just more than your friend to you.

- What ? No way, Minseok is my best friend, that's it.

Yixing took back his parchment and started to write again.

- As you want.

Thinking that it was it, Luhan tried to get back to his work too.

- You know what ? Just the fact that you think it's weird that this memory is your happiest should tell you something.

- Like what ?

But Yixing had already focus his attention to his parchment.

- Oh my god, dude, I hate you.

He took all his stuffs and stood up. Yixing was still silent.

- I'm going to sleep.

And he just left to his dormitory, his head full of thoughts. He lay down on his bed and closed his eyes. It could not be right. Of course, Minseok was important to him. They were close, he could not picture his life without him to be honest. He helped him a lot, first with the magical world in general, then with his homeworks and his personnal life. And Minseok started to show interest for his muggle world, he even took Muggle Studies during their third year, the only class in which Luhan had to explain some things to him. There was nothing Minseok did not know abotu him, except that stupid memory story. He sighed while analyzing their relationship. Yes, they were close, they shared all their secrets. Yes, they implicitly agreed on the fact that they would always stay at Hogwarts during Christmas to be together, and Luhan hated summer because it was two months away from Minseok. Yes, the Gryffindor loved every single thing about the Ravenclaw, his wit, his intelligence, his smile, the way he looked at him and the way he was taking care of him... And his only wish was that he could spend every minute of his life with him, talking to him, having fun with, maybe kissing him... He opened his eyes. Yixing was right. Minseok had become to him more than just a friend.

***

The next morning was a Saturday. Luhan was eating his breakfast at Gryffindor's table, wondering where Minseok was when he entered. He looked for him a second and then came immediatly by his side.

- You have to help me.

Seeing his face made Luhan understand that is was hard for him to ask.

- Yes, good morning Minseok, I slept well thank you, but I'm not asking for you because you really look like a zombie.

- A what ?

- You know, those dead living creatures that are on movies…

Minseok stared at him, completely lost.

- Nevermind, what do you want ?

He took a toast.

- Okay, so I practiced all night, but I still can't make a patronus so you have to show me and help me.

- Are you still on that ? This is not a big deal, he said while eating, putting crumbs everywhere on him.

- Easy for you, you can do it.

At the same time, the Ravenclaw was taking off the crumbs on Luhan's shoulder and face. He shivered. He stared at Minseok. He already knew that this young man was really handsome but it was like redecovering it again, it was so pleasant.

- So ?

- What ?

His friend had an irritated sigh.

- I'm not gonna ask you again, can you help me ?

Luhan smiled.

- The so smart Kim Minseok needs my help, this is awesome.

- Can you ?!

He took his time to answer, knowing that the other one was going totally crazy.

- Yeah, maybe.

- Okay, let's go then, he replied, standing up.

Luhan, a second toast in his hand, glared at him.

- We have to do that now ?

Minseok nodded and grabbed his hand to make him leave the table. Resigned, he took another toast and followed Minseok out of the Great Hall with his food until an empty room.

- I don't know what I can tell you more, you just need a strong memory and then just cast the spell. I can't find a memory for you, said Luhan, eating his toasts.

- I guess my memory is not strong enough, tell me yours.

Since the Gryffindor just stared at him confused, he added :

- I know what you told me was not the real one, I know you better than I know myself even if I don't understand why you would keep that for you.

Minseok was looking at Luhan so deeply that he thought he could read his mind. His heart was beating faster than usual.

- I can tell you. I'm going to tell you everything, and maybe, after that, you will have your happy memory.

- What ?

Words were escaping his mouth without any control.

- My happiest memory is, you. The day we met. And you know why ?

Minseok seemed completely shocked, and was not saying anything, so Luhan kept going :

- It's because you are the happiest thing that happened in my life, and, I really can't lie to myself anymore, I think I fall in love with you.

As much the words came out, he was getting closer to the Ravenclaw student, who was neither moving or talking.

- Can you believe it ? Just thinking about you made me create a corporeal patronus on the first try, this is how happy you make me.

He was now so close to Minseok that he could feel his breath.

- Now, I really want to kiss you, can I ?

For a moment he feared that with everything he just said he ruined their friendship and that he should have not taken this risk but Minseok nodded. He nodded and Luhan's brain just stopped fonctioning, he leaned his lips on Minseok's. It was unreal. He could not believe that he had the courage to tell all this to the Ravenclaw and, even more, he could not believe that he was feeling the same way. And when they broke the contact between them, Minseok took off his wand and closed his eyes.

- Expecto Patronum, he whispered.

And a bright-white cat went out of his wand. He opened his eyes and when he saw what he created he started to uncontrollably smile at Luhan, who smiled back. Both of their happiest mermory was a moment with the other one.