A New Name

Agent 1004

As a secret agent, I have no identity. No family to speak of, no friends to lean on. My own company technically doesn’t exist either. My personality? It changes with the flow. Depending on my mission, my looks and character can be completely different. After some time in this industry, I’ve started to forget my past.

Even my own name.

The plaintive notes of the piano struck out particularly to me, amidst the rest of the noise and bustle of the bar. Perched on a high bar chair, I sat tall but relaxed, with my elbows resting on the counter, a martini in front of me. To anyone else, I might seem like an ordinary lady enjoying a night out but in reality, I was here on a mission. There was someone here tonight that I have my eye on; I just have to find a way to make him come to me.

First, I have to find him among the crowd.

A man approached me, stumbling slightly as he walks. His breath reeks of alcohol as he talks, slurring his words. “Hey beautiful, can I buy you a drink?” He grinned and laid a hand on my knee. “Or how about I buy you?” He leaned in closer, his grin slipping to become more of a leer.

The problem about bars was that men, usually after a few bottles of alcohol, seemed to have a tremendous amount of courage to approach a single, beautiful lady like me. This situation arose a few times during my other missions but nothing major had ever happened.

Carefully adjusting my expression to one that showed a slight hint of disgust, I leaned away from the man. “I’m afraid I have to reject your kind offer.”

“I don’t take no for an answer, beautiful.” His hand started to creep up my thigh and he moved even closer to me. I could see the lust in his eyes.

Disgusting.

Keeping my composure, I put a hand on his and pushed it away. “I said, no.”

He stared dumbly at the hand I pushed away, then back at me. “No? You said no? NO?” His voice steadily rose through the octaves.

His shouting was starting to draw some attention from the other guests. This was bad. I should quickly get rid of him before I draw even more attention to myself. Should I lead the man outside and knock him out? Or agree to his demands and slip a sleeping pill into his drink? As the various solutions ran through my mind, the man grabbed my wrist.

“I’m talking to you, lady! I said, I don’t take no for an answer!” He was yelling by now.

My eyes narrowed. Maybe not just a sleeping pill. But then again, my orders were to stay under the radar and that would include not killing anyone.

There was a cough and someone appeared behind the drunkard. “I believe it is only proper manners to let her go. She did say no, after all.”

The man turned around to face the other person. “But I don’t take no for a-“ He trailed off as he got a good view of the other person. Dressed in minimalist black blazer thrown over a plain white dress shirt, the other man did not seem that intimidating at first glance but he had an air of authority around him. Even though he was smiling, there was a threat hidden in the expression. The drunken man faltered and stuttered as the other one nodded to two security guards.

“ him out of here. See to it that he gets a cab.” The two guards bowed and proceeded to grab either of his arms. As they dragged him out, the man put his hand over his heart and bowed slightly. “My apologies for your distress. I hope you are not too upset by the ruckus causes, Miss…?”

“Angel.” I smiled winningly at him, genuinely relieved.

“A name befitting that of a beautiful lady.” He smiled as well, and straightened his back. “Forgive my rudeness. I am the owner of this bar. My name is Kim Himchan. It’s a pleasure.”

Kim Himchan. It seemed like attracting attention was not such a bad thing. After all, he came to me of his own accord.

I held out my hand to him. “It’s a pleasure to meet you too, Mr Kim.”

He took my hand and lightly kissed the back. “Please, call me Himchan.” His eyes swept down my body, taking in the slim black mini dress with an approving look.

“I would like to offer my apologies to you for the fuss. How about a drink on the house?” He suggested, letting go of my hand.

“That would be nice.” I tucked my hair behind my ear, noting that his eyes followed the movement as the dark locks tumbled down my shoulder. “But it’s slightly noisy out here. Is there anywhere else quieter?”

As expected, Himchan fell for the bait. “There is a private room that is not occupied today.” He offered me his arm. “Shall we?”

I took his arm and followed him, each step light and delicate. Kim Himchan had a reputation of being a womanizer; it was the reason why the agency had sent me in the first place. It was much easier to infiltrate without suspicion if the target had approached me first.

The private room was cozy, with a snug couch in the corner, a small television in the other and a wooden table in the middle. A bartender bought in an ice bucket and a bottle of wine along a couple of glasses.

“Do you mind if I join you?” It was not a question, but I nodded anyway. Himchan gestured for the bartender open the wine and sat down next to me on the couch. The bartender gingerly poured the wine and set it on the table.

“You may leave now.” Himchan picked up both wine glasses and passed one to me. The bartender bowed and left. The gentleman raised his glass to mine. “Cheers.” Our glasses clinked in a melodic symphony.

I swirled it and took a sip. “This is good wine.”

“I’m impressed. You know wine.” He didn’t actually seem impressed, but I took the flattery with a shrewd smile.

“Let’s not talk about wine. How about you tell me about yourself?” Himchan set his glass down on the table and crossed his legs. “For once, what’s a lovely flower like you doing alone at a bar?”

This man was living up to his reputation as a woman-killer. I hid my amusement as I replied. “I just needed a drink.”

“You have one now,” he gestured towards my wine glass and I chuckled. We made some other small talk for a while, before I decided that the night isn’t going anywhere. I should make a move now.

“Excuse me. I need to make a trip to the washroom.” I tried to stand up and tripped over my heels. Himchan immediately reached out to grab me, pulling me onto his lap. My eyes widened in shock when I saw the wine spilled all over his crisp white shirt.

 “Oh no, I’m terribly sorry.” I apologized as I dabbed at the stain spreading over his chest. I’ve made my move. It’s up to him now.

Himchan grasped my wrist. “Don’t worry about it.” I looked up at him as if to object but his expression stopped me. Our faces were extremely close now, our noses almost brushing. His eyes travelled from mine to my lips and he slowly leaned in, pressing his lips against mine. I made sure to hesitate a moment before kissing him back, sliding both hands around his neck. His hand tightened around my waist as he deepened the kiss, his other hand supporting the back of my head.

This mission had perks. He was a good kisser and he even tasted good, like vanilla with a hint a cinnamon.

Breaking free of the kiss, he moved to my ear and whispered, “If you’re sorry, why don't you help me take it off?”

Infiltration part 1 is complete.