Stay As You Are

Stay As You Are

 

 

Yifan first met Chanyeol at a meet-up Baekhyun arranged and he accepted. Except he didn’t expect the meeting to go like this.

“And this is my son, Sehun,” Chanyeol said cheerfully and hoisted up the toddler on lap so he could stand on his thighs. “Sehun-ah, introduce yourself to appa’s friends~”

Everybody went silent even when there was a kid introducing himself in front of them with “I’m Sehun, I’m three years old” complete with cute bow. That was when Baekhyun excused himself and dragged Chanyeol along with him then the rest of them launched into an awkward conversation. About weather. Super awkward.

“We didn’t know that he had a child,” Kyungsoo, Baekhyun’s boyfriend, told Yifan in hushed tone. “He hadn’t when we visited him in his apartment a month ago. And he’s been single since he graduated college, as far as Baekhyun knew.”

Yifan looked at the glass window where he could see Baekhyun talk to Chanyeol with exasperated face. In the other hand, his potential date was still smiling. There was a seriousness in his expression, but his smile was still child-like, making Yifan curious.

“But we didn’t lie when we said that Chanyeol is a great guy,” Minseok, Yifan’s friend and Baekhyun’s older brother, patted his shoulder. He lifted the little guy who was nibbling on his sweater sleeve to get him on his lap. “Though he can be weird at times.”

Yifan originally thought that it was good idea to meet someone new after 6 months of being single thanks to his ex dumping him through text. Chat text. He knew that that guy was a bit ty but he didn’t know he would do such thing and that left him with wounded pride. So after he had dinner in a restaurant that served fantastic pasta and the owner took a liking at him (giving him a good serving of lasagna for free), Baekhyun asked him if he wanted to meet the owner’s only son. He said that he is currently working as an independent song producer, and generally ”a great guy to spend your life with”.

He didn’t know if he and Baekhyun’s best friend would even last for a lifetime, but he just nodded along and said yes for the meeting. He even listened to the CD of Chanyeol’s works from Baekhyun just to know what kind of person his potential date is, only to be shocked when he found on the cover a man with a cardboard on his head.

His songs are great, though. Yifan had been looping the CD in his car

“So,” Baekhyun came back to the table and dumped his on the padded chair, Chanyeol following him behind. “It’s actually true that this guy,” he glared at the smiling guy. “Adopted a kid. When did that happen?”

“Yesterday,” Chanyeol said, grinning.

“Have you even told your family about this?!” Baekhyun was livid. Yifan assumed that his friend knew that his best friend was a bit weird but he didn’t expect him to adopt a child just in a spur of moment.

Chanyeol calmly took his son from Minseok’s hold and swiped the child’s bang from his forehead softly. “Last night I took him to see my mom. You saw grandma last night, right, Sehun-ah?” After he got yes from Sehun, he smiled and kissed his forehead before looking up to his friends and Yifan who were still stunned at the interaction between the new dad and son. “She liked him because he smelled like baby powder and complimented him when he took a pee by himself. My dad and sister were shocked, though, but they like Sehun.”

“Now you know from who Chanyeol got his weirdness,” Minseok leaned onto Yifan and muttered under his breath, which Yifan just nodded absentmindedly. There was a lot to take from Chanyeol, and it’s too much from the last hour he knew the other guy.

But then he questioned himself if he was really disturbed by it. He looked at how happy the little boy on Chanyeol’s lap and how big the smile on the other guy when his son kissed him by the cheek. Yifan wanted a family someday, too, yet he didn’t know if he wanted it now at 25 years of age. But he knew that he wasn’t really against the idea.

After much persuasion from Baekhyun (in the restroom, when he was washing his hands and didn’t realize that the smaller guy followed behind him,

“I’m so sorry, Yifan, I initially planned to let you find out his antics slowly after your dates,” Baekhyun cornered him, looked at him with his puppy eyes and teeth gnawing his lower lip. “I understand if you want to bolt out now, I’ll tell them you got a call from your mom telling you to accompany her shopping. But I assure you, buddy, that the weird guy I call my best friend, is a good kid.”

Yifan told him that it’s okay, Chanyeol’s cool and Sehun’s cute, and his mother is still in Canada and probably asleep now half across the world.), he finally got the courage to come to Chanyeol before they parted ways to ask for his number. He also got drolly kiss from Sehun, so he considered the day was a great day.

After a few dates (only one of them didn’t include Sehun) Yifan found Chanyeol a really great person despite his unique characters. His apartment was slightly bigger than Yifan’s but it was warm and comfy, and with a few soft toys scattered on the rug it was the space of a single father with a son he had always imagined. Sehun’s room was like a Rilakkuma heaven, completed with countless bear toys lined on the bed and in the mini shelf, and Yifan was almost sure that Chanyeol had spoiled his son. But the toddler was nothing other than a sweet and polite little boy so he was amazed how the younger guy taught and disciplined his son despite being relatively young to be a parent.

Not to mention that he was an amazing cook. In fact it was he and his mother who made all recipes for the menus in their restaurant, and he always made Sehun’s meal at home without fail. He made hot pot the evening he invited Yifan to his apartment and admitted in front of his shiny pot that he bought the special pot impulsively and that was the first time he made one. Yifan had a hard time to believe the latter confession because it tasted like home.

Chanyeol always had something to do. One day he told Yifan that he was working on knitting scarfs for his family (and asking Yifan’s favorite color, too, to which the said guy answered with a shy red), the other day he said that he was working on a new album and had produced 3 demo songs. Along with being a spectacular father for Sehun and amazing date for Yifan, the older guy didn’t understand how he even functioned.

Chanyeol might be impulsive, but he was always committed to everything he was doing.

So it was his turn to surprise the other guy to ask his hand for a marriage in the middle of aimlessly playing guitar and piano in the other guy’s workroom. He took Chanyeol’s hand who was playing piano and slipped a ring that he had bought two days before.

“Will you marry me?” Yifan’s voice trembled because he had never been this impulsive before, and this was his only chance. If Chanyeol rejected him he would… well, not give up, but he would surely cry. A river.

But he didn’t expect the guy he wanted to marry to wail and hug him, bringing them tumble on the floor. Chanyeol mumbled incoherent words but then he pulled away with tears and snots all over his face, “I was planning to propose to you next week! I already had our rings engraved!”

“Wait,” Yifan’s eyebrows shot up hidden under his bangs. “So it’s a yes?”

“We’ll get engaged with your rings and married with mine,” Chanyeol jabbed his blunt finger to Yifan’s chest, still visibly upset. “And have Sehun as the ring bearer. Okay?”

“Alright, Chanyeol-ah,” he gathered his now fiancé into his embrace, laughing. “We’ll do as your wish.”

 

 

Yifan knew what he’s signed up to when he married Chanyeol. Yet he’s still surprised, even after 5 years into marriage, when his husband does something on a whim.

Right now, for example, Yifan finds Chanyeol folding his polo shirts and casual slacks. Their suitcase is left open next to him on the floor, and his husband is humming something that sounds like a song from his favorite cartoon.

“Baby,” Yifan leans on the opened door, folding his arms. “Why are you folding my clothes? Where are we going?” “To Disneyland!” Chanyeol looks up at him, grinning. “The sakura there must be pretty! I want to try the camera I bought last week, they said it’s great for snapping scenery pictures.”

“Wait, Japan?” Yifan strides in and sits down next to Chanyeol. “You never told me that we were going to go on a trip.”

“I already asked Luhan if it’s okay for you to take a week off this weekend and he said yes. Your works don’t really pile up and he could handle it when you’re gone.”

“But baby, my mom—“

“Sehun and Sophia would be ecstatic to have their grandma play with them at the attractions! And I finally can see Luffy!”

“Chanyeol, baby,” Yifan plucks another shirt from Chanyeol’s hands and puts it into the suitcase. Chanyeol’s hand feels warm in his hands, and he makes a circle on the back of it with his thumb. “There’s no Luffy in Disneyland. Mickey and Donald, yes, but not Luffy or Zoro.”

Chanyeol’s smile falls and Yifan feels a great pang in his chest because his husband, his sweet husband is now frowning and that’s because of his words. But before he can utter his apology, the other guy takes the laptop (Yifan wasn’t aware it was there in the beginning) to his lap and types a few things and Yifan scoots closer to look. Chanyeol has opened a new tab and typed “visit one piece japan” on the search column. He clicks a few times and looks at Yifan with a wider grin. “Look! One Piece Tower! We can check it out on Saturday!”

Yifan laughs and hugs him from behind, kissing his cheek. “Okay, baby. We’ll go.”

 

True to Chanyeol’s words, Sehun and Sophia, their second kid that they adopted two years ago, are excited to know that they are going to go to Japan this weekend, especially with their grandma. Sophia begs her daddy to add seeing Rilakkuma in their trip list, and her face turns sour when Chanyeol can’t find any Rilakkuma Tower like the One Piece one. Sehun, who’s staying closely to his sister, tries to stay unaffected but Yifan can see his disappointment. After all, everyone in the family knows that their son is actually the biggest Rilakkuma enthusiast.

“Wait, look,” Yifan shows his phone screen to his kids. “There is this Rilakkuma store not far from daddy’s One Piece Tower. Should we go?” He grins when Sophia squeals and hugs her older brother, the bigger kid also smiles widely and nods to his dad before returning his sister’s hug.

All is good.

 

 

Yifan takes a day off to fetch his mother from airport two days later. Chanyeol cannot come along since he still has to check on the song demo but he promised to make a special lunch for three of them at home, so Yifan doesn’t complain.

“You look younger than the last time I saw you,” says his mother, replacing the hello. “Remind me to bring home your skincare when I go back.”

“I only need a lovely husband to maintain my youth,” Yifan offers her a cheeky grin. He takes the suitcase from her grip and guides her to his car.

“Speaking of Chanyeol, how is he?”

“You’ll meet him soon, mom. You can judge by yourself.”

He can understand her concern of his husband; a year ago he almost lost the love of his life in a fatal accident. Chanyeol survived with a few scratches and ruptured wrist, but his mother died at the scene. He blamed himself and always cried when he wasn’t asleep, resulting a few psychiatry sessions and sleeping pills. Sehun and Sophia slept on his and Yifan’s bed when Yifan wasn’t at home, telling their daddy that they love him and hoping him to feel better. A few months later Chanyeol was finally ready to stand once again, producing a song in the wake of his mother and Yifan finally gave in to sing for it along with his husband. ‘Lullaby’ stayed on the trending list on Soundcloud for two months.

Now that Chanyeol’s finally back to his old self and gives the world his sunshine-y smile, Yifan would not trade it for anything.

Chanyeol falls asleep even before the plane takes off and that worries Yifan. Chanyeol had pulled an all-nighter before they went to the airport this morning, leaving the breakfast making duty to his mother in-law. He hopes his husband still has the energy to roam around Tokyo later.

They’ve booked two rooms for their vacation, a twin room for their kids and Yifan’s mom and a one room for the couple. They unpacks shortly, Sehun helps Sophia to get her small Rilakkuma backpack, and they promise to meet at the hotel lobby. When the little guy spots his dad and daddy, he’s surprised that his daddy is wearing a straw hat with a red ribbon, complete with red shirt and khaki slacks. He looks like his favorite cartoon character.

“Come on, my nakama!” Chanyeol calls them, making his kids run faster to his direction. Yifan facepalms, laughs heartily anyway. “Let’s go to our ship! Go go!”

 

Their tour in One Piece Tower, the first place they come to visit per Chanyeol’s request, goes peacefully and Sehun has a good time taking pictures of his daddy posing with all figures. The lunch in Mugiwara Café is fun, and they leave the place with a Chopper soft toy held by Sophia. It seems like Chanyeol makes another One Piece fan in the family.

Sehun asks where Rilakkuma Store is to a tourist police, showing off his language skill to his parents, only to get confused with the direction given. Yifan laughs and thanks the police, promising his son to teach him the language later after they get home. His mood instantly lightens when his grandma pulls him to look at the giant Rilakkuma doll in front of the store.

“He’s totally like you,” Yifan says lightly. “Can be easily distracted.”

“I thought you said that I’m always distracting you,” Chanyeol walks ahead with his daughter, leaving Yifan flabbergasted.

Yeah, he won’t trade anything for this.

 

 

“Babe, look here.”

“Hmm?” Yifan turns around, his ice cream is still on his lips. Chanyeol’s snapping a picture of him, putting down the camera to see the result. “Damn, Chanyeol, at least let me look decent in your pictures.”

“But you look good,” Chanyeol comes closer and looks at the results together, stealing a bite of Yifan’s ice cream. In the picture, Yifan’s body is half turning around, his unassuming gaze looking at the lens. It’s obviously taken candidly, but Yifan’s white shirt, light blue knitted sweater, and chocolate ice cream cone compliment the pinkish scenery on the background. Chanyeol smiles widely, and Yifan knows that he’s satisfied with the picture he took.

They’re currently having a picnic at Ueno Park, enjoying a slow Monday with Sakura tree surrounding them. The pink blossom is gorgeous, their kids are playing with fetch with someone’s dog and their grandma is watching them on the picnic mat not far away. Chanyeol and Yifan are talking a walk around and got ice cream to accompany their tour, taking pictures of the scenery. So far, they’re having a good time lurking around and food tasting as tourists. Yesterday they enjoyed the rides at Disneyland. Tomorrow, they’re going to try taking shinkansen to go to Osaka.

“I was really happy when you gave in to my plan to go to this trip.” They are sitting under a huge Sakura tree, Yifan leaning his back on the tree while Chanyeol leans on his chest. The younger guy still checks on the pictures he’s taken, not looking up when he’s speaking. “I know that you’re busy, so thank you.”

“You don’t need to thank me,” Yifan leans his cheek on the crown of his husband’s head, peering to also look at the photos. “I enjoy it, my mom and our kids are having a good time. If anything, I want to thank you to plan this family bonding trip.”

“You know that I didn’t really plan it,” Chanyeol finally looks up, his face is adorned with a small smile. “I always do anything at whim. It’s tiring to be with me, I know. So I thank you for putting up with me. I could never get a better partner than you.”

“Babe.”

“Maybe Baekhyun’s right, that I should make a list of what I want to do and see which one should be done first than others. Maybe I should start making a plan, so it won’t tire people around me.”

“Baby,” Yifan hugs his husband and kiss his temple softly. “I already knew what I signed up to when I asked for your hand.” He feels Chanyeol’s body relax, so he continues. “I like the spontaneous you, so it’s okay to keep doing that. If something’s bothering me I will tell you. If something’s not possible to be done, I’ll warn you. I just want to see you and our kids happy, and I know the things you do impulsively are based from your care to other people. If anything, I’ll help you manage. If doing things spontaneously makes you happy, then I’ll let you be.”

“I also want to make you happy,” Chanyeol mumbles.

Yifan smiles. “You know what makes me happy? Eating good food. Having a good sleep. Hearing my kids’ laughter. Seeing you smiling and being healthy and happy.”

“You’re so cheesy,” Chanyeol laughs, before craning his neck to kiss his husband’s cheek. He giggles like a little boy when Yifan kisses him back.

“Remember when you brought Sehun on our first meeting?” Yifan sighs, reminiscing the old memory. “I knew that day that you’re not really the usual type of person I meet on daily basis. To think about it, it seems like I’m only attracted to weird people?” Yifan looks down to meet Chanyeol’s curious gaze. “I used to date Baekhyun when I was in freshman year and he sophomore high school.”

“You dated an underage?!” Chanyeol pinches the back of Yifan’s hand, making the older guy yelp. “Why did I hear about it now?”

“Because it doesn’t matter now,” Yifan answers anyway, still rubbing the sore spot. Chanyeol caresses it softly, maybe a form of apology, and he’s smiling again. “We just went on a date once, I thought he was at my age, and then we became a close friend. But what I want to say, baby,” Yifan hugs him tighter. “That you don’t have to worry and hold yourself in front of me. You can stay as you are, because I’ll love you no matter what.”

Chanyeol doesn’t say anything, his body’s slacking more into Yifan’s embrace. “It feels good to be loved,” he says softly after a few minutes of enjoying the cool breeze.

“Yeah,” Yifan nods. “It does.”