You can't love me here

Stuck in the Moment

Romeo and Juliet 

Bet they never felt the way we felt

 

There she was again, with that smile that could brighten up anyone's darkest days. Jung Whee In was considered the nation's energy captain due to her group's beagle image and her given title as the head beagle- Mamamoo was doing better than ever. They were starting to gain recognition from all around the world for their talents and personality. 

There she stood, with her groupmates outside their changing room, playing games with each other and laughing. As BTS arrived and approached closer to them, they stopped goofing around and greeted the boys politely. They bowed and wished each other well for their stage performances that was commensing in a bit. 

At the back of the boygroup, Taehyung, the charismatic, cool namja known as V, caught her eye and she sent a soft smile his way before bowing again. No words were exchanged, no hellos, no goodbyes were said between them but it made each of their hearts race like crazy. 

Taehyung relunctantly followed as his group left to BTS' changing room which was down the hall from Mamamoo's. He couldn't help but turn back around just to steal another glance at her. She was goofing around with her members again, not giving him a second glance- he didn't blame her.

 

Bonnie and Clyde

Never had to hide like we do

 

Taehyung had always loved attending live shows, the atmosphere was different. It was more lively and more upbeat, he loved the energy and couldn't get enough of it. He was backstage with s, waiting for their turn to own the stage. While everyone was fixing their hair and makeup, he stood at the edge of the stage, to watch his fellow artists perform. He had always been the most excited one when it came to these. 

As he was enjoying the current performer's stage, he learnt that next on the line up was Mamamoo. The presence of 4 girls caught his attention. They were on the other side of the stage, getting ready to get on in a matter of minutes.

Taehyung caught Whee In's eye again. This time, he sent her a fighting gesture and smiled. In return, she smiled politely, placed her hand on her chest and bowed, thanking him for the support -before backing up going further back to a spot where she was sure was a blindspot for viewers and talking to Moonbyul. 

He hadn't missed the way her eyes darted nervously to the crowd before stepping back. He too gazed upon the audience. There were thousands of people. There was no telling who could see him or not. There was no telling if anyone had their camera fixed to him or her. 

His heart sunk as he realised that what she had said once before was true, whatever they had, must remain hidden.

 

You and I, both know it can't work

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt

And I don't, I won't let that be you

 

He remembered their first encounter together at the ISAC cafeteria. She was there to buy food for her teammates. She was talking to a few other female idols while he was trying to decide which drink he wanted to get. Her loud and contagious laugh caught his attention. Due to something hilarious, she threw her head back laughing while clapping her hands. 

He had heard from fan forums and idol updates that she had such a unique laugh but it was the first time he had heard it live. He smiled to himself, taking in how vibrant she looked then. The female idols left and she went back to focus on what to get for her groupmates.

He approached her at the counter and greeted her. He congratulated her on the success of Mamamoo's latest single then. He also mentioned how he was a fan and plays the song constantly. 

"Kamsahamnida." Whee In thanked him politely. She smiled and excitedly informed him, "I saw the VLive stream when you played our song."

"Ah really?" There was something about her that attracted his attention. He swore that his heart stopped when she smiled to him then. Before he could react, she gathered her purchased items and bowed politely.

"Well, I'll be going now. Thank you for your support!" She said bubbly before bowing once again and leaving the ISAC shop. "It was nice meeting you!"

It was all a blur but he remembered that somehow, he had managed to get hold of her contact details and was on speaking terms with her. They got to know each other better and that's when things started to get complicated. 

He knew how a girl's heart worked and she knew his. They both knew that they were playing with fire, it was no doubt that some feelings were caught by both parties. However, what do you think would come out of those collected feelings? Nothing ever could. It would ruin them. And he won't let that happen to her.

 

Now you don't wanna let go

And I don't wanna let you know

That there might be something real between us two

Who knew?

 

 

Whee In felt like she was doing something horrible. They were different towards each other in public and in private. She remembered that when she realised that he might have started to catch feelings for her, she became a bit distant. She would reply his messages later than usual and won't be available whenever he called. But his presistancy made it hard for her. Not to mention, she also was catching feelings for the handsome boygroup member.

He was always more open with his feelings compared to her. He would often send signals that he did think of her as something more than a friend and she would just show friendly gratitude towards him. Though she had no doubt that he knew whatever he was doing to her. She was sure he knew that he was tugging on her heart's strings even if she tried to hide it. At the early stages, it seemed like it was harmless flirting in a casual friendship but as time went on, they became a little too invested in their feelings.

Sometimes, their conversations would include their feelings for each other and it would get a bit serious at times. Whee In was often the one to shrug it off and change the subject. She had always convinced herself that they were just catching feelings because it was convinient. She wasn't close to many other male idols and he didn't have many girl friends. Hence, it made it convinient for both of them to like each other.

However, she had always known that they weren't just goofing around - maybe she did have, even if it is the slightest bit of hope, that they could be something more. She knew her feelings for him were genuine and she had hoped that his were too. But the timing of it all was just.. too out of place.

 

Now we don't wanna fall but we're tripping in our hearts

It's wreckless and clumsy cause I know you can't love me here

 

Whee In recalled talking to Moonbyul about the whole situation. She had chosen Moonbyul in particular because she felt like she needed a big sister rather than a best friend or a group leader- while Hwasa had always been her backbone and strength, she was a bit reluctant to open up about Taehyung to Hwasa. A part of her felt embarrassed and another part just felt scared. 

Same went to Solar- Solar is the ideal group leader in Whee In's eyes. She was as determine, rational and realistic. She wasn't elected leader of the group for nothing- she had deserved it. It was no secret that the girls of Mamamoo had made many sacrifices for their career but when it came down to it - everyone knew that Solar would sacrifice everything in a blink of an eye for the group. Thus, she settled on consulting Mamamoo's main rapper. 

On the outside, Moonbyul had always shown herself to be the coolest yet cheesiest member of the group but behind the exterior, she was a really kind and wise person who looked out for all of them. Besides, them sharing an apartment made the whole ordeal much easier. 

She remembered how her usually calm and cool older groupmate's eyes shined with tears as she listened to her story. Moonbyul gave some words or wisdom, some words of encouragement and the longest and tightest bear hug in the world. 

"Mianhe" Moonbyul said, her voice just above the volume of a whisper as she held Whee In close. "I didn't know you were going through this." 

Taehyung would never admit it but there were many times he had found himself wondering how nice it would be to have someone to hold during the bad weather. How much more nice it would be if that someone was Whee In. But given their occupations as idols, it wasn't something they could do easily. How lonely it was, the life of an idol.

He felt guilty, sad and selfish for wanting to be something more with Whee In. He knew that at this stage of their lives, it wasn't an option. With her smile fixed to his memory and her laugh on replay, he closed his eyes and thought to himself.

'I know you can't love me here.'

 

I wish we had another time

I wish we had another place

But everything we have is stuck in the moment

 

Sometimes, when they were in the same room or on the same stage, Whee In always found herself looking over to him. He would be goofing around with s or just doing something thoughtful and silly to the crowd. She would laugh to herself, watching his silly antics.

Maybe, given another time and another place- they would have had a chance. 

 

There's nothing my heart can do

To fight with time and space

 

Taehyung had the exact same feelings about Whee In. He would definitely do almost anything to see if this was real- if Whee In was the one for him. 

Maybe, given another time and another place- they would have had a chance.

Cause I'm still stuck in the moment with you