Penpals

Penpals

“Kyungsoo,catch it!”

---

“Yaah! You know I'm bad for this”

“Sorry Kyungsoo-yaa, but dominancy said different. We play basket” said Jongdae

“I thought a Judo like you would be so easy to catch the ball.” Joked Sehun, his junior

“Hey knock it up, guys. Everybody has their own weakness. Even a genius like Kyungsoo has a weakness. He’s not prefect, after all”its Suho

“You knew the rules, hyung. You get it. It’s not far”

“Aish.. Okay okay! I get it, you lazy”

---

 

And then kyungsoo got the ball which was not far from the field. When he didn’t have his judo practice, they would play with them, Suho, Sehun, Jongin, Jongdae Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Yixing. Either it was a game, or just hung out together at Minseok hyung’s Café. They had this bond which people couldn’t understand. Today, it’s basket. He’s not that weak. He might be has this innocent look, but actually he’s the president of Judo club of Yongdo Private High, and vice president of Student Council.

He went to the park near the field. Jongdae really could throw a ball, it went really far. The Park was such beautiful sight these days. It’s full of dried leaves. Sun rays made it more beautiful.

“Ah, there it is!”

Kyungsoo got the ball, then rushed to the field. Suddenly, he stopped his moves, listening to a melodic voice. He followed the voice, which brought him to a girl. She sat on the bench, writing something. Kyungsoo then hid behind the tree nearby. A cute girl. The girl placed something to the tree, then went away from the park. She looked.. well.. cute. Kyungsoo wasn’t sure himself because he just saw her back. A cute girl, with brown hair, was wearing a peach dress.

He went to the tree. There’s a big hole on the tree. He saw something. A letter.

A pink letter.

“To Someone who find this letter”

It sound so desperate. Maybe this is the girl’s.

Dis she know I was hiding behind the tree? No. I’m sure she didn’t see me.

Should I take it?

Should I?

 “Kyungsooo!! Where are you? Hurry up and bring the ball”

Screw me. I’m taking it.

“I’m coming!!”

----

It’s almost midnight when he decided to read the letter.

To you (whoever you are),

Having this letter read by you, you must be lucky enough to found it

I’m sitting by myself, waiting in uncertainess

Warm breeze calms your mind

And once again streghthen your beliefs

Come closer, hear my beliefs.

I’m desperate in need, a companion in great.

Would you take the lead?

 

PS:

Would you be my friend? Just answer this letter if you’re going to. J

-HY

 

This girl, sure was a weird one. And yet, it made him more curious.

---

It’s already midnight when he decided to write the letter. For her.

“what should I write?”

 Yaa Kyungsoo, you’re so freak . Like she will know who you are.

“Okay, I can do this. She’s lonely and need a friend, Kyungsoo. Just write the letter for her.”

Above the dark shade of pain, at the doorsteps of farewell

Even I take a brutal fall, I can manage if it were for you

Insteade I’ll give myself to you who don’t know me

Don’t cry, give me chilling laughter instead of hot tears.

Say no more,

So you can remain as a shinning person*

A new friend, KS

Tomorrow may became a good day for him.

------------

From that day onwards, they became friends. They exchanged letters, more frequent.

“Kyungsoo, what was that?” asked Baekhyun. They were in the class, waiting for the homeroom teacher.

“Ani, nothing.”

“You’re so suspicious. Tell me, please?”

“no, it’s nothing, really. Don’t mind me”

“So what’s that?”

“It’s— yaa! Park Chanyeol!“ before he know it, the paper was already on Chanyeol’s Hand. Oh great!

“omo, It’s a letter. Yaa Hyung,” he read the letter. He read it.”I didn’t know you could write so well. So Romantic”

“It’s not Kyungsoo’s handwriting. The letter are more girly”

“oh hyung, you finally surrender to one of your fans? A hot news!”

“Ani it’s not from them. And also, what are you doing here, Park Chanyeol? You don’t have a class?”

“No, don’t you know all the teachers have the end-semester meeting? And I’m so lonely so I came here to find you guys. My favorite hyungs” he hugged Kyungsoo and Baekhyun, childish-ly.

“euh It’s so disgusting, you moron”

“So…  who writes you the letter, Kyungsoo-ah? You seem so occupied with it lately. Your new girlfriend?” teased Baekhyun

“N-no! She’s just a friend”

“Oh… It’s a girl then, Kyungsoo-ah? Oh my.. Our Kyungsoo is all grown up now.” Baekhyun more.

“shut up you guys.” He took the letter from Chanyeol. “And I’m going to the library, alone”

“Good luck, hyung/Kyungsoo-yah”

-----

In the library..

It’s so embarassing. Now they knew about my letter. Of all people, the first one to know were them. But hey! Writing a letter is not a crime.

He took out the letter and re-read it.

Though I can’t understand your breath

It’s alright, I’ll hold you

Even if others think your sigh takes out energy and strength

I already know that you had a day that’s hard enough

To let out even a small sigh

Now don’t think of anything else

Let out a deep sigh, just let out like that

HY

Huft.. She’s sure a good person. But I don’t know what she was look like.

Maybe I should taking her to the school art fair this weekend?

Wait a minute.. You’re asking her for a date? Does she even like you?

No no. it’s just a meeting between a friend. No less no more.

“Just go with it Do Kyungsoo!”

“Yaa Mr Do! Could you please lower your voice? It’s a library!” Shouted the librarian

“I’m sorry” then he went out.

---

Dear HY,

I know you’re maybe kind of busy

Or maybe you will find me a freak one

But this weekend, the school will hold an art day and I was wondering if you wanna come with me?

We could see many performances and foods.

Would you come with me?

It’s okay if you don’t want to

-KS

Ps : I will be wearing a blue top.

---

Dear KS,

Of course, it would be amazing. You should be my tour guide and I should see everything.

I’ll be wearing a pink dress, waiting on the bench beside the tree

I’ll be waiting.

-HY

----

Weekend came so fast and the school were so buzy with the art day. Every class had their own foodstall, to sell their food.

Kyungsoo walked to the park, went to their tree.

There she was, a young woman with an auburn hair, waved because of the wind, wearing a pink sundress. She was sitting in the chair, nervously waiting for him. He cannot see her face.

“Um… Hi?”

The girl then stood up.

Thump-thump.

A pale skin, rose cheeks, and a plum lips, are rare combination. And yet..

Such a beauty…

“Hi… are you--?”

“Yes, it’s me. And uh… My name is Do Kyungsoo, as in KS.”

“And I’m Hayi. Lee Hayi. We’re finally met, Kyungsoo-shi” so, the name is hayi.

“Yeah, it’s nice to meet you. And please, just Kyungsoo”

“okay, Kyungsoo”

I don’t know but I like the sound of my name from . So melodic.

Get a hold of yourself. You’re just met.

“So… Let’s go?”

She nodded then followed me.

---

First it’s really awkward. Then Hayi started a conversation with him, about his school, his friends, so on. Lee Hayi was a funny person, in a weird way. And Kyungsoo’s just the same.

We laugh each other, watch some performance, eat some food. Then she suddenly stop.

Suddenly She stopped walking, holding her chest. She looked uneasy.

Kyungsoo became worried, “Are you okay? “

“No, It’s fine. Maybe a little tired from walking all day.”

She looked pale. “Okay let’s take a break.”

They sat on the bench in the silence. Hayi broke it.

“It’s kind of funny”

“Why, Hayi-yah?”

“It’s been a while since I am so happy like this.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I couldn’t go anywhere. I had tried once, but It didn’t go well”

“Why was that? Your friends was bothering you? Or was it your family?”

“That, I can’t tell you. Not now.”

I can tell she is so lonely.

“And I’m glad and thank you for this.”

“Because I paid for you?”

“haha yeah that. And because you replied my letter that day. And because you asked me to come with you.”

“Well then.. I’m so proud of me”

“Omo, you’re so full of yourself. That is another new thing I know about you”

“You have a long way to know me more”

“And so are you”

Then they laughed together.

---

“Hey, thanks for today. I really had fun”

“I should be the one who thank you instead. Thank you.. em.. for saying yes”

“Where is your home? I could walk you there. It’s not safe for a girl walking alone”

“Just walk me to the bus station. My sister will pick me up.”

“Okay then” they walked silently

“Hey Kyungsoo. Am I weird? For hoping a company through a letter in the tree?”

“I’m not sure…”

“It mus be a real freak”

“If you’re a freak, then I’m also the one because I replied to that letter and became that person”

“Hayi-ah!” a woman’s voice were calling for Hayi. They looked for the voice.

“Oh, unnie!”

“So.. he’s your date then? I’m Chaerin, Hayi’s sister. Thank you, for accompany my sister and for walking her here”

“Unnie, we’re not having a date. We just hang out”

Why does it make me nervous? And the dating thing…

“um… Good evening, Chaerin-shi. My name is Do Kyungsoo. It’s nice to meet you”

“Just call me Chaering-noona”

“Ne, Chaerin-noona.”

“Hayi-ah, you’re alright? Nothing happened today?”

“ani, unnie. Don’t worry, I’m fine”

Such a weird combination for sisters.

“Well, We must be going. You know it’s already late, right Hayi?”

“uhm.. yeah. Kyungsoo-yah, I think we should go.”

“okay Hayi-ah. Take care of yourself. Maybe we could hang out some other time.”

“I’m not sure I can make it. But I’ll try.”

She and her sister walked to the car.

“Hayi-ah, wait!”

“I’ll be waiting you in the car” said Chaerin

“yeah, Kyungsoo?”

“um… we still be exchanging mails, right?”

“You want to move on to the modern thing such as email?” She looked uncomfortable

“hmm.. Nope. I think I like it wroten.”

“okay… Thank You.. And I must be going. “

Kyungsoo still stood in the bus station, looked on to the night road, where their car disappeared.

----

“you must be in love then, Kyungsoo-yah” said Jongdae

They were in Kyungsoo’s room, working on their homework. And it happened to be a heart-to-heart session for them

“It’s impossible. How could I be in love with a girl whom I met just once? We just met once and just exchange mails frequently.”

“well Kyungsoo.. Nothing is impossible when it comes to love thing.”

“I still don’t get it”

“Say Kyungsoo-yah.. You said that you’re so happy when you received her mail, didn’t you?”

“Yeah..”

“You have this giddy feeling when you saw her? You became yourself and so comfortable when you’re with her?”

“Hmm.. yes”

“have you ever imagined suddenly she stop sending you a letter? Not replying your message? What will you do? How is it for you?”

I..

I..

I would be lonely

I would miss her badly

I couldn’t live without it.

Just imagining it made me…

It made me..

Sad?

What is this feeling?

“Kyungsoo-yah?”

“I… I don’t know..”

“You are the only one who know the answer. You know yourself the best, don’t you? Is it right then?”

Oh goddamnit!  I cannot thinking straight.

“Chill, Kyungsoo-yah. Let’s finish our homework. I have a date tomorrow”

What is it?

----

“It’s weird.”

It’s been three weeks since Hayi’s last letter but he still didn’t get a single response. It’s just his letter on the tree. Normally he got her letter once in two days.

It’s been weeks..

But..

None.

“What happened, Hayi-ah? Why didn’t you answer?”

---

Two weeks later..

Kyungsoo always come to the tree but he found nothing. Today was no different. He patiently wait and checked the tree daily, hopping for a single reply. It made him mad, without a single words from her. And it made him worried

“Kyungsoo-yah?” a familiar voice were calling him. He looked back.

“Chaerin-noona? What are you doing here? Wait. Where is Hayi? Why didn’t she answer my mail?”

“Kyungsoo-yah.. there’s something you should know”

She gave him a letter. From Hayi. Wasting no time he then read the letter.

To my dear Kyungsoo-yah,

I’m sorry I couldn’t reply your letter as often as before.

Something happened, school thing.

There’s something I should tell you.

Kyungsoo-yah, thank you so much for being there for me

Your first words made me realize that if you were sure of something,

It would come to you.

Being with you that day is one of the happiest moment in my life, a treasured one

I realize that I’m not alone in this cold days

You’re the best thing happened in my life

I’m not shy to tell you that I like you.

Chaerin unnie said it is a crush, love, so on. She laughed at me.

For the first time in my lonely life, I have a friend, true one

And the first time in my life, I have a crush

On the same person

I like you

You don’t have to answer me.

I’m sorry I cannot reply your message anymore.

I’m moving to America. Maybe for a long time.

It is really nice to know you.

And I’m sorry I couldn’t meet you.

I cannot bear to see you, I will cry

And sure it would be bad for my image.

Goodbye Kyungsoo

Don’t wait for me, let me be a memory

  • Lee Hayi, your best company.

A single tear escaped his eyes.

“Noona, you’re moving to America? Why?” he asked without looking at her.

“Kyungsoo-yah, there’s something you should know. It’s about Hayi”

“What is it noona?”

“Then you should follow me”

----

“Noona?”

‘Yeah?

“Why are we in the hospital? I thought we ‘re going to see Hayi?”

Chaerin looked at Kyungsoo with a sad eyes.

“There’s someone you should meet”

They arrived in front of a room.  Ms. Hayi-Lee

No, It couldn’t be..

“Noona…”

“Kyungsoo-yah.. listen to my story first, okay? No interupting.” He nodded

“So Kyungsoo-yah, Hayi has been sick since she was a little. When she was born she had a dextro-TGA,  and she was operated back then. Doctors said that she might have some complications. She meet the cardiologist many times, but one day she came home from school wih a chest pain. She’s being bullied by her seniors many times and that day her heart couldn’t take it anymore. It’s coming back and shewas moved to another school, quiet one. Three months ago it became worse, and she need an operation immediately. She refused, she said it’s better for her to die, so she won’t be a burden for us, her family. We had tried everything so she would change her mind. One day, she said she would take the operation.”

He still couldn’t believe it..

All this time.. and that day when we were going to the festival. She looked pale and … in pain

She’s been hiding this big secret from me

Why?

“You know when I was picking up her at bus station? After you and her went to the e festival? That was the day when she finally said yes to us. We’ve been waiting for a long time, yet it wasn’t us who changed her mind. It was you, Kyungsoo-yah. “

It was.. me?

“She said ‘I want to meet and play with him often, unnie. I would do anything for it. He makes me happy’. She said it happily. My parents were so happy. We even cooked her favorite meal everyday, and let her go to the park to send the letter.”

“She got worse one month ago. She was really sad she couldn’t send you a letter, even a words. Then yesterday she was asking me to deliver that letter to you. Because she believed that you’ll be waiting. She mentioned you in her sleep, afraid of you leaving her alone because of her condition. So she promised me not to tell you about her condition.”

She sighed. A tear escaped chaerin’s eyes

“But I think you should know about it. I believe you’re a kind person, and you’ll understand. You have to see her.”

Why didn’t she tell me?

I would see you everyday, to keep you company.

So you’ll not be lonely in your dark hour

And you’ll feel how I feel.

“noona, Can I see her now?”

“yes, just go in”

----

An angelic voice were welcoming him. It embraced him, touched his heart. The siren was on the other side of the room, facing the window. She looked pale, a medicine line connected to her hand.

숨을 크게 쉬어봐요
(Take a deep breath)

당신의 가슴 양쪽이
(Until both sides of your heart get numb)

저리게조금은 아파올 때까지
(Until it hurts a little)

숨을 더 뱉어봐요
(Let out your breath even more)

당신의 안에 남은 게 없다고 느껴질 때까지
(Until you feel like there’s nothing left inside)

숨이 벅차올라도 괜찮아요
(It’s alright if you run out of breath)

아무도 그댈 탓하진 않아
(No one will blame you)

가끔은 실수해도 돼
(It’s okay to make mistakes sometimes)

누구든 그랬으니까
(Because anyone can do so)

괜찮다는 말
(saying it’s alright)

말뿐인 위로지만
(eventhough it’s only words of comfort)

누군가의 한숨 그 무거운 숨을
(Someone’s breath. That heavy breath)

내가 어떻게 헤아릴 수가 있을까요
(How can I see through that?)

당신의 한숨 그 깊일 이해할 순 없겠지만
(Though I can’t understand your breath)

괜찮아요 내가 안아줄게요
(It’s alright I’ll hold you)

숨이 벅차올라도 괜찮아요
(It’s alright if you run out of breath)

아무도 그댈 탓하진 않아
(No one will blame you)

가끔은 실수해도 돼
(It’s okay to make mistakes sometimes)

누구든 그랬으니까
(Because anyone can do so)

괜찮다는 말
(Saying it’s alright)

말뿐인 위로지만
(eventhough it’s only words of comfort)

누군가의 한숨 그 무거운 숨을
(Someone’s breath. That heavy breath)

내가 어떻게 헤아릴 수가 있을까요
(How can I see through that?)

당신의 한숨 그 깊일 이해할 순 없겠지만
(Though I can’t understand your breath)

괜찮아요 내가 안아줄게요
(It’s alright I’ll hold you)

He hugged her from behind.

“I don’t know you could sing so well”

She was speechless. They stayed like that for a moment.

“Unnie told you, didn’t she?”

“Yes”

“Were you waiting for me at the Park?”

“Everyday.”

“You should not be here, Kyungsoo-yah..” he released his hug. They were facing each other

“I miss you, Hayi-ah. Not a word come to me about you.”

“because you shouldn’t be here. You shouldn’t know about me. You should mad at me, then forget me.”

He hold her hand, “no, I won’t do that” She took a step back.

“You have to, Kyungsoo-yah. Just remember me as a good memory”

“No, I’ll be there to hold you”

“Why? Is it out of pity? I’m dying Kyungsoo-yah.”

“well, my reason? isn’t it obvious?”

She took a step back, head low. “You took a pity on me”

“Idiot.” She was silence.

“It’s because I love you.”

She was surprised. Was she misheard of it?

“No, you heard it right.” He took a step then hold her hand. He was looking right in to her eyes. “I feel in love with you, Lee Hayi, my pen pals.”

She stayed silent for a very long time.

Am I wrong, to love you like this?

“Hayi, please say something”

“Kyungsoo, I… ugh!”

She looked pain and out of breath. Kyungsoo became panic

“Hayi-ah! What happened? Please stay with me!” He brought her to her bed and called the medics.

She let out a deep breath, held her pain as she tried talking “Kyungsoo-yah…” then she fainted.

-----

“Kyungsoo..”

He moved to her side, hold her hand“I’m here, Hayi ah. It’s alright” they stay silent.

“You look like a mess. You should go home.”

He clucked“I’m always a mess. My mother told me often”

“Hey, Kyungsoo-yah.. I’m going to America to have my surgery there.”

“I’ll go with you”

“No, don’t. I’ll go with my family.”

“But—“

“Please, Kyungsoo-yah.”

He sighed, giving up “Okay, if that’s what you want”

“And one more thing” she paused, then sighed. “Please don’t look for me. Don’t contact me. ”

“I cannot do that Hayi-ah, please. I’m not going to America but not knowing your doings is a hard thing”

She looked to his eyes, as if asking him to listen her plea.

“I can’t promise you, I’m really sorry, Hayi-ah”

----

“Hallo, Chaerin-noona?”

“Kyungsoo-yah, She’s just got into the surgery room.”

“Please keep me the update.”

“I’ll call you later”

---

“Noona. How is she?”

“Kyungsoo-yah.. I’m sorry” she then cried

He became anxious “N-noona? What is it? Please tell me? How is the surgery? Hayi is alright, isn’t she?”

“Kyungsoo yah… she’s critically ill. Please prayed for her so she could make it. Goodbye”

That is a last call from Hayi’s family.

----

7 years later…

Spring already come. Wram brezee hugs me.

I’m a cardiologist now. That moment changed me and moved me to take medical degree. And here I am.

“Hello? Okay just send me the invitation” Another sound replied ”I’m late, there’s an important surgery. Yes of course.” “don’t be like that, Jongdae, she’s joking. I have to go. There’s something important coming up.”Clicked.

It’s a tiring day, as usual. But really, hardwork payed off.

I’m walking on the park. Yes, it’s the same park when I met her. And this is the same date as the first time I meet her.

She is the one who still hold my heart dearly. Taking my heart and not giving it back.

I hold a small red box on my coat-pocket. Yes I’m proposing to someone.

As I arrived, I can see the woman, with a pink knee-high dress, standing with her back on me.

I approaced her then started talking

“It’s clearly said that you should turn around”

Then she turned around. That face, that hair, that eyes, everything familiar that I missed. By the look of her, she was really surprised, speechless.

“Kyungsoo-yah…? How could you?”

“it’s been a while, Hayi-ah.”

Silence.

“You’ve been waiting for me? All this time?”

“Of course, Lee Hayi”

“I could be dead but you still wait? ”

“But my instict told me different. And I always trust my instict”

She teared up. She still looked adorable even when she shred a tear

“Pabo..”

“yeah, I’m an idiot. We already discussed it beforehand”

A lone tear fell from her eyes.

“So Hayi ah…”I took step forward then arrived facing her. Beside the tree where we keep our letter. I took out the box, and opened it.

A silver ring.

“Marry me.”

Silence then filled the air. A gentle wind blew. Flower petals made it beautifully, as in the sign of the Spring. She cried then nodded as she hugged me, tightly. I’ll never let it go, not anymore.

“of course, you, Do Kyungsoo, my pen pals, my first love, my best thing. You’ll be my forever”

---

Flashback

It’s been three months since Hayi went to America. The finals was coming and I had to prepare myself. But I couldn’t get my mind straight, thinking Hayi’s whereabout.

Drrt..drrt..

Unknown number.

“Hello?”

“Kyungsoo-yah? It’s me, Hayi’s sister.”

“Chaerin-noona? You changed your number? Why?”

“It’s Hayi’s wish so you’ll not contact us anymore.”

“noona, How is she?”

“Thank God, She is getting better. But Kyungsoo-yah?”

“ne, noona?”

“We won’t be back in anytime soon. It would take months, maybe years to get her fully recovered. And she didn’t want to see you. She will be sad, and afraid that you’ll be pitying her.”

“But I’m not, noona. I’m sincerelly hoping she will get better”

“She needs more confident. Let her do what her think the best. Just let the fate decide for both of you, Kyungsoo-yah”

----

“Hello Chaerin noona. How is your weeding preparation?”

“It’s really frustating, Jiyong is a perfect freak. So, how’s yours?

“I’m the new Cardiologist at Myung Sei hospital.”

“congratulations! You did great”

“noona, how is she? Is she alright? Did she get any boyfriend there? You shouldn’t let boy get closed to her, noona. “

“wow wow easy there. She is alright, better. She just finished her music degree. She likes to be a composer.”

“I’m glad.. keep me update, okay noona? And congratulations on your wedding, I’m sorry I couldn’t go.”

----

“Kyungsoo yah, she’s coming back to Korea tomorrow.”

“Thank you, noona.”

----

I sent a text to Chaerin noona. Calling her wouldn’t be any good.

Noona, I want to propose to your little sister.

---

We’re sat on the bench, cuddling. She looked at me

“You’re stuck with me forever, Do Kyungsoo”

“Well then, I’m yours.”

----

A letter on the tree

I, Do Kyungsoo, Lee Hayi's penpals, vowed to love her forever and never let go even she asked to.

I, Lee Hayi, Do Kyungsoo's penpals, vowed to love and hold him dearly, never let go even he asked to.

 

The End

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone! It’s my first story ever since I started reading a fanfic J. Please give me some feedback, I hope you guys like it, or just get my point in this story. I’ll be waitng for your review, everything.

Thank you so much

Sincerely,

Shanaa12