Support

Dealing with Depression

          He was depressed, or at least that was what his prescription medication told him. He would stare at the bottle every now and then, wondering if those pills would make his life any better. He had avoided taking that medicine, afraid s' would find out. He didn't care that it would cause him pain, he just didn't want s to know. The look of rejection on his members' face would be far worse than any pain he had been suffering. Taehyun was pulled out of his thoughts when Seungyoon appeared.  He had walked into Taehyun's room, face unreadable, Taehyun could feel a sense of dread pooling in his stomach. He he held up the very bottle that Taehyun had tried so hard to hide and showed it to the maknae, "Taehyun what is this?"

     "It's mine," Taehyun manages to respond with a cracking voice. His hand reaches out for the bottle shakily, Seungyoon offers it to him, Taehyun rips it out of  Seungyoon's hands. Seungyoon sits down next to Taehyun, patiently waiting for further explanation. Taehyun sits in silence, his body starting to shake, he cradles the body close to his body. "I've been suffering with depression since I was a teenager." The tears suddenly came and all Taehyun wanted to do was bury himself in a hole and never come out. Seungyoon gently squeezed his hand and hugged Taehyun. "I didn't want any of the members to know, I'm afraid I'll drag you down even more. Once everyone finds out, they won't want me anymore," Taehyun seems to shrink, his long limbs disappearing into Seungyoon's arms. 

     "I want you to know that I love you more than anything. You are still my precious Taehyun," Seungyoon whispers, gently rubs circles on Taehyun's back and more tears seem to come. 

     "Do you still want me?" Taehyun sniffles.

     "Of course, I'll always love you Taehyunnie."

     "Can we keep this between the two of us for now?"

     "Of course, when you feel ready to tell everyone you can. If you don't want to, you don't have to." Taehyun seems to relax a little bit. They sit quietly together for a while. Seungyoon gently Taehyun and Taehyun crying quietly. Seungyoon manages to maneuver Taehyun to a lying position. The youngest's long legs wrap around Seungyoon and his head finds a space in the crook of Seungyoon's shoulder. 

     "I sometimes feel like the world is crumbling around me. I feel like I'm going to get crushed by my failure, my inability to do anything. I'm so useless. Seungyoon I want to die sometimes."  Those words cause Seungyoon's arms to get tighter around the maknae. "Death will end my pain."

     "Sometimes, that may feel like the best option, but just know that that isn't your only way out. Taehyun how long has it been since you've taken your medicine?"

     "I haven't taken it for a couple of months."

     "Taehyun you should take it, it'll help you feel better," Seungyoon gently suggests.

     "I don't want the rest of them to find out," Taehyun stiffens again.

     The door creaks open and Jinwoo greets with a cheerful smile. "Taehyunnie dinner is ready! Have you seen Seungyoon?" His eyes take a moment to survey the situation and his eyes widen. "Taehyunnie? Are you okay?" Jinwoo rushes over to the bed and Seungyoon manages to hide the pills between their bodies. "What's wrong maknae?"

     Taehyun turns over to face his Hyung, eyebrows furrow and his teary eyes make contact with the oldest member. Whatever reservations he had about not telling s seemed to crumble as he was sandwiched between the comforting warm body of Seungyoon and Jinwoo's soft doe eyes. "Protect me Hyung," chokes out Taehyun, attempting a laugh to convince Jinwoo that everything was okay, but it only came out as a broken sob. 

     "Oh baby, tell me what's wrong," Jinwoo's hands Taehyun's dark hair, his eyes soft and gentle. "If those rookies are picking on you again your Hyungs' will beat them up for you."

     "Hyung, I'm so sad." Those words seem to shatter Jinwoo's heart, the tone of the maknae's voice makes him want to protect the baby of their group more than ever.

     "It's okay to feel sad," Jinwoo moves to Taehyun's face, "I don't think of you as any different for being depressed Taehyun."

     "Jinwoo did you get lost in the toilet?" asks Minho.

     "No, I'm fine," calls out Jinwoo. "Do you want to stay here for a little while? I can bring both of you food later."

     "I should at least sit with everyone else. Can we eat on the couch Hyung?" Taehyun asks Jinwoo. 

     "Of course." Taehyun is about to stand up but he is brought back into Seungyoon's arms. He looks back confused and he is suddenly lifted up, long limbs and all.

     "Yoonie you don't have to carry me," Taehyun protests.

     "Let me take care of you," Seungyoon tells Taehyun softly. Taehyun falls silent and allows himself to be babied for once.

     "What's up with Tae?" asks Minho as they exit the room.

     "He's not feeling well so we're going to eat on the couch," explains Seungyoon.

     "I'll move the food there then," Seunghoon gets busy, moving the dishes to the small table in front of their TV.

     Taehyun is gently place down and Seungyoon gets comfortable on the couch. Jinwoo moves around, helping Seunghoon. Minho plops down on the other side of Taehyun and flips to Running Man. "What's up Tae, what hurts?" Taehyun is silent for just a second too long and Minho starts to worry.

     "I'm just fighting off a bit of a migraine," Taehyun attempts to explain. 

     "What's really happening Taehyun?" Seunghoon asks as he finishes placing down all of the food.

     "I--" Taehyun can see his world crumbling in front of him. Seunghoon laughing at him and leaving. Minho with a look of pity and disgust. He starts to shake, he had told two members and was lucky enough to not get kicked out. Seungyoon's warm embrace brings him back to Earth. 

     "You can tell us when you're ready," Seunghoon offers, his face guilty. "I'm sorry if I pressured you."

     "It's fine," Taehyun manages to squeak out. 

     "Let's eat," Jinwoo breaks the silence, handing out bowls filled with rice. The band eats quietly, the usual laughter not present between the boys. Taehyun appears to be lost in his thoughts more than normal.

     "Taehyun have you been taking your antidepressants?" asks Seunghoon suddenly. Taehyun's eyebrows raise and he looks at Seunghoon in shock.

     "How did you know?" Taehyun's voice raises in pitch.

     "I saw the bottle with your name on it and assumed it was yours?" Seunghoon explains.

     "Wait--what is this about antidepressants?" Minho looks between the two confused.

     "I thought you knew I found your medicine?" Seunghoon looks extremely guilty.

     "No--" Taehyun pauses, his breath starts to get short. Seungyoon realizes and he motions for Jinwoo to grab a paper bag. The younger had issues with anxiety as well, something all of the members were aware of. They had always made sure to make accommodations for the maknae. There was always someone who knew what he was going through to support him. Jinwoo offers the bag to Taehyun who breathes in and out slowly to stabilize his breath. "I haven't been taking them because I didn't want everyone to find out." 

     "We don't care about any of that Taehyun," Minho finally understands.

     "But I'm only a burden. I'm the reason we can never comeback on time."

     "That's not true Taehyunnie," Seunghoon squeezes Taehyun's hand.

     "We all should equally shoulder the blame. It's the Hyung's job to worry. Don't feel guilty, after all you seem to write all of our songs," Minho says. The members all manage to crowd around the maknae. They shower him with words of affection and love. The man's eyebrows seem to express his joy at being cherished. Tears start to leak out of his eyes.

     "Are you okay?" asks Jinwoo, worried.

     "I'm okay, I'm just happy that all of you still love me."

     "We'll always love you maknae," Seunghoon says with a goofy smile.

     "We'll always be here to support you," Minho says with a grin.

     "We won't ever leave you Taehyunnie," Jinwoo says.

     "I love you Taehyunnie," Seungyoon pecks the maknae's lips. 

     "Thanks everyone." The mood in the room seems to have lifted and everyone returns to their normal joking mood. They had found out something important about a member today, but that didn't change their relationship with each other. Winner would continue to support each other no matter what.

     "What did you think I was going to tell you Hyung?" asks Taehyun.

     "I thought you were going to tell us you broke up with Seungyoon and were going to marry a woman or something."

     "Yah--are you crazy?" Taehyun's eyebrows raise in anger. He starts to violently kick Seunghoon, long limbs flailing.

     "Love you too Taehyun," Seunghoon winks and escapes Taehyun's furious kicks.