Chapter1:1 Plenty of Fish

Audrelina Octopus

 (Optional: Instrumental to be read with music. Right click Video and select 'loop'. 
For mobile phone, please hover over video and click minimise to continue reading. May not beable to select 'loop', 

Chapters chopped for video loop ease)

~
The aroma of a fresh salt breeze under a humid noon sun, together with the soothing swell of Ocean waves, could have dozed anyone out of consciousness. The steady groan from within the trawler and the rhythmic swash and hiss of water helped float Takanori's mind far from its anchor, his coconut scented skin browning under a glistening of sweat and rubbed in lotion, calligraphic carved eyes closed under a thick choppy bob of black hair. To Takanori he was his own Captain, snoozing in his tuna tin boat upon a current of brine, leaving all land far behind.

Gulls entered the skies of his dreaming when he heard their screeching, but their noise was futile in awakening him. Only when Takanori hit rocks jerking him to his senses did he see his crew mate stooping down over him with a tin cup.
"Did you just kick me?" Takanori accused, squinting with a frown up at Shinya. Flashes of sun bleeding out around the man's head.

A second later a quench of fresh water slapped into Takanori's face stunning the boy.

"Seaweed, you're awake!"

"YES, I'M AWAKE!"
"Hey, Shin, how'd ya do it?"

"Played a recording of Seagulls at his ear and kicked him, ...then chucked water at him as a bonus."

"Excellent. I've been shaking him all morning. I'll remember that for the next time."
Clumsily dragging himself up, face and fringe dripping wet upon his vest top, Takanori proceeded to ignore the banter of his jibing mates, rubbing away lingering grains of sand from his bare lower legs, stray fragments awkwardly refusing to get out from between his toes.
"These nets need hoisting, Nori. If you're as keen as your Dad says, you're best to get stuck in and learn."

"It's the sun getting to his head, Kujo. Look, he thinks he's working in flip flops."

"When I inherit this boat, I'll be employing new staff," Takanori smiled.

"Well unless this boat is going to be a sand feature for tourists I advise you start learning something."
Taking the white hachimaki Shinya offered, Takanori proceeded to tie it around his head resembling a bandanna.
"You always want one of these, it absorbs persperation, keeps your hair out of your eyes and keeps the Sun from scorching holes in your brain."
"He'll need those holes for storing his bate maggots when he's tackle fishing 'cause his boat's forgotten water."
A stray fresh breeze blew over them, momentarily relieving the salted humidity and Takanori s:ucked in a refreshing breath, stretching his limbs awake. Looking out upon the immense mass of surging waves, he saw how the horizonal stretch blurred between sea and sky, both colours the same except for the light reflecting on the nearer water's surface. He wanted to take a photo of the serene beauty but his Dad had confiscated his phone and he had nothing to capture it on. Instead his mind turn to other treasures.
"So how much an hour do I earn?" he quizzed, excited for some pocket money.
"Hmm, What's the going rate for a 15 year old?"

"Fish. I think we'll just pay him in fish."
"Small fish, he's not 18 yet. He doesnt count for the minimum wage."
Takanori started laughing. Technically they were his Dad's mates but he'd known them all his life so they felt like family. Fish! He knew when they were joking, ...which is why when he realised he was the only one laughing and they were quietly concentrated on him, did he stop laughing, realising he'd been conned from his summer holiday.
"You'll earn coins when you sell your share of fish."

"But I wont be doing the selling part, will I? I'll be helping out and you'll be handing me my wage at the end of each day, right?"

"Look at it like this, Seaweed. If you work hard, sell your catch at market, you'll get those lovely coins."

"But that's like working twice, at Sea and down the market. Hard labour and retail."

"I tell you what, Nori, go inside the cabin, flick the kettle on and on your way back, come back with more fighting spirit," Kujo advised.
As Takanori walked away he heard laughter bursting out behind his back.
"Who am I making tea for?" he asked turning back, unsure if all three of them were having one.
"The whole crew, you can be our tea time trolly dolly, 180 yen a cup, earn those lovely coins."
Frustration and annoyance washed over Takanori and he strode back to Shinya and Kujo.

He had his terms.

"I'm having my own net. Whatever I catch in it will be mine. Small fish, big fish, lobsters, crabs, ..whatever. I'll sell it, make a fortune, then I'm going back to school next term to earn qualifications so I'll never have to work with you guys again. Now show me how to hoist the nets."
"Whoa, hang on there. How many nets do you think this boat can pull in comparison to the amount of crew staff? You have to earn yourself a whole net. You'll get your share in packed ice boxes at the end of the day."

"Ice boxes?"
"Nah, nah, nah, Kujo. Let him have his own net. So Seaweed, we'll show you how to hoist this net, process the catch to ice boxes, and then we'll leave you to do the other net by yourself, see how you get on. That can be your net."
"Sure," Takanori gave a good impression of indifference. Inside he was sure he'd nominated himself for trouble, "How hard can pulling up a net be, anyway?"