Under The Weather

Under The Weather
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“She asked me if I was single and-”

“Ah-Choo!”

“What else was I supposed to say? I couldn’t-“

“Ah-Choo!”

“Flat out tell her that hey, I’m gay-“

“Ah-Choo!”

“Why do girls always fall so hard for the gay man?-“

“Ah-Choo!”

“Dude!” Jongdae angrily yelled out at the sneezing man.

Chanyeol sniffed, apologetically moving himself to the other side of the couch he shared with his friend. He grabbed a tissue but it was too late as another sneeze brought itself into the room.

Jongdae shook his head in annoyance, opting to turn on the TV instead of holding a conversation with the sick man who only keeps interrupting his story. “Either you go to the doctor or you move out,” he jokingly warned him.

Chanyeol groaned. He couldn’t himself. He’s been sick for three days now and what he thought might just be the common cold was starting to feel much worse than that. He could barely get sleep at night with all the sneezing and eating properly wasn’t an option either. His throat was so sore that swallowing made it harder for him to down any food. If he dared to talk, his voice only sounded much deeper and broken from the pain he was enduring. His cheeks oddly felt inflamed along with a constant headache protruding itself when he tried to rest. He was so under the weather and shivery, he couldn’t leave the house.

Chanyeol sniffed once again, shifting his position onto the couch to lay more comfortable on his side. In his shared apartment with his friend, Jongdae, it was against their rule to have feet up onto furniture but Chanyeol didn’t care at this point. He propped his legs onto the couch and sighed heavily, grimacing in pain when he felt his head continued to throb. “I don’t wanna go,” he whined. “They’ll do blood work or give me a shot. You know I can’t handle that stuff.”

Jongdae almost threw himself off the couch as he busted out laughing. “How in the world is a big guy like you scared of blood and a needle?” His laugh started to turn obnoxious. He loved to make fun of Chanyeol given that he’s younger. “Awww, let’s call your mommy to hold your hands,” he mocked, earning a shove from Chanyeol’s foot.

“Aish~! Shut up. It’s a real fear, you know?”

“Oh I’m sure it is,” Jongdae responded not so convincing. “You may have the flu and I don’t want you to spread that so go to the doctors.”

Chanyeol pouted, “but-“

“No buts. I’m not about to miss work cause my roommate was stupid and killed me.” Jongdae held up a warning finger to his friend. “Go to the doctor tomorrow.” He got up, ready to go to bed.

“Fine, but I’ll regret it,” Chanyeol whined out.

“Doubt it.”

*~*~*~*

The next morning, Chanyeol mustered up the courage to make an appointment. Unfornately, his primary doctor was on vacation so the only appointment he could schedule was with another doctor at the hospital. The secretary assured him that this doctor was just as good but that didn’t stop Chanyeol from being nervous. His primary doctor knew of his fear of blood and needles and tried to avoid it as best as he could but with Chanyeol’s bad luck, he couldn’t really avoid it. What if this new doctor made his experience even worst, completely neglecting his fear just to get his patient out the door so he could move on to the next one. Chanyeol hated doctors like that.

As he walked into the office, sneezing and trembling, he signed his name onto the sign in sheet. “Hi,” he greeted the secretary. “I’m here for a 1:20 appointment.”

The secretary looked through her files on the computer behind the desk. When she found Chanyeol’s name, she said, “Ah, you’ll be seeing Dr. Byun today.” She handed him a form, “I know he’s not your primary doctor today but he does require all his patient to fill out this form before their first visit with him.”

Chanyeol hesitantly nodded and took a seat. When his eyes landed on the questions, his nervousness swept away with utter confusion. He never recalled filling out a form like this when he visits his primary doctor.

What is your favorite video game?

What is your favorite drink?

Who is your favorite person?

What is your favorite color?

Do you prefer ice cream or icees?

What kind of music do you listen to?

Chanyeol almost felt like he was filling out a biography of himself. “Why would a doctor want to know these strange things…?” Chanyeol mumbled to himself. The questions grew even more detailed and… fun? He laughed to himself. The only question that seemed to be relevant was ‘Why are you here today?’

Once he was finished, he handed it back to the secretary. “Sorry about that,” the secretary said as she took the form. “To be honest, I find it a bit ridiculous that he makes his patients fill this out.”

“I don’t mind,” Chanyeol smiled. “It made me less nervous coming in today.”

“Ah,” the secretary smiled back. “Hearing that will probably make Dr. Byun very happy. He doesn’t like people to fear coming here.”

“Park Chanyeol…?” One of the nurses came out and called for him.

Said man greeted her with a smile, stating that it was him she had called for. Once he followed her into a room, they did the standard questions of why he was visiting today. He explained everything, barely taking a breath considering his throat was extremely sore. When he finished up, he had to add one last thing, “But please no bloodwork or shots today.”

The nurse stopped typing his symptoms into the computer and turned him with amusement written all over her face. “I’m guessing you don’t like blood and needles?”

Chanyeol quickly nodded.

The nurse got up, with a smirk still on her face. She headed towards the door, mumbling to herslef, “Dr. Byun’s gonna have a lot of fun with you then.”

*~*~*~*

Thirty minutes passed as Chanyeol waited inside the room for the doctor to come by. He was getting impatient and antsy because in all this time, the doctor must be reading his files right? But it couldn’t possibly take thirty minutes to read a stupid bio form and his symptoms. He was about to walk out and call for a nurse when he heard the door knob jiggle. He looked in the direction of the door opening and in walked a short male in a much too large lab coat standing halfway inside the room still talking to someone.

Must be the doctor, Chanyeol annoyingly thought.

“See you next week Taehyung!” he said in an almost cheerful voice as if he was speaking to a… child? The doctor finally entered the room completely with a big smile on his face, but that smile slightly faltered into shock when he saw a large man sitting on the hospital bed.

Chanyeol was just as shocked but tried not to display the expression on his face. Dr. Byun looked quite handsome? Cute? Chanyeol didn’t know how to describe it but Dr. Byun sent a weird feeling to his heart that made Chanyeol a bit nervous.

The doctor was certainly attractive and Chanyeol would be lying if he said he wasn’t thinking about putting a move on him. He doubt it would work but Dr. Byun was surely his type. Chanyeol liked his guys short, cute, and adorable. And from the lab coat draped over the doctor’s petite frame, the way his lips looked small but full, the way his hair swept adoringly to one side, and the way his chocolate eyes puffed wide made Chanyeol’s heart do flips.

This isn’t appropriate, Chanyeol thought. He should be fearing the doctors. They were evil because they did blood work and gave shots.

Dr. Byun didn’t look evil though.

Dammit, he sure is cute.

“Oh…” Dr. Byun placed the smile back on his face to hide the shock expression. “Um, I must be in the wrong room.” He looked at the chart in his hand to make sure and asked, “Park Chanyeol?”

Chanyeol nodded. He didn’t trust his sore voice to speak so he reached out his hand to shake Dr. Byun’s hand.

“Oh!” Baekhyun exclaimed in more shock. “Wow…” He looked at his chart again. “Um… just a moment please!” He quickly ran out the room, putting confusion onto Chanyeol’s face.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter