Epilogue: Broken Reminiscing

The Monster's Name is Sibyl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the end, the only one who won were the monsters. 

Kim Joonmyun feels the hollow coldness of the gun barrel poking at his temple. The man at the other end is grinning at him.

"It pains me so not to pull the trigger for so long," he says. "It has been two months, dog." He spits the word like it was poison on his lips. "All your little friends are dead. How long do you think you'll survive?"

Joonmyun swallows a thick lump on his throat. He tries to calm down, to concentrate, to ignore the sick man calling himself human beside him. He tries, truly, and yet his hands still shake as they danced around his keyboard. 

The officer, new lead inspector division 1, he calls himself because apparently the likes of Kim Joonmyun does not deserve to know the names of their masters. The inspector slowly grinds the barrel down his temple, just enough to give Joonmyun discomfort. The technician lets him, biting back will only sggravate the situation. 

The inspector finally brought the gun down. He scoffed. "Your last master was an idiot. The late Inspector Do and Inspector Byun, and the other funny lot."

The glare from his dimming, flickering monitor screen illuminates the slight smile on his face. This inspector is right, at least. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun were idiots, kind and benevolent idiots. It was their kindness that lead to their demise, unfortunately. 

Joonmyun spares a glance at the codenames on his dashboard. There are five codenames in total, codenames of his former teammates. 

"Do not expect idiocy from me, Kim." The inspector struts his way towards the only couch in the darkened room and flops himself down. 

Joonmyun releases the breath he knows he was holding and his drying lips. He does not stop typing, however, despite the cold sweat trickling down his forehead, his nape, prickling his skin with haze of anxiety. 

Focus, he tells himself. Focus.

He hears a scaffling behind him but he does not look. He hears the inspector says, "don't worry. If you've successfully rebooted the system, the prime minister might be thankful to take you away from this prison and give you a place in the enforcer ranks. You like that, don't you?"

Joonmyun nods. A lie. A place within the enforcer ranks is the last thing he wishes at this very moment. 

"Or she might just spare you." There begins the familiar clicking sound of someone playing with the gun trigger, flicking only slightly as to not pull it to the brim and fire. 

"If I've successfully rebooted the system," Joonmyun whispers, almost growling, into the muted whirring of his computer's harddrives. "If I've successfully rebooted the Sibyl System using its backup files, the prime minister would do more than just spare my life."

Joonmyun smiles wider, nor bordering in all smirk, no m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter