Ashes to Ashes

Blazing Frost
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Third Person POV:

     When The Man opened his eyes, he knew that he was in another vision. If it wasn't for the fact that everyone around him visibly didn't notice his presence despite him wearing nothing but silk pajamas, then he probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

    Well... that and his visions make him feel like he's looking through a black and white Instagram filter.

   The only question now was; why is he seeing this?

    Despite being colorless, he could still tell that he was currently standing in a funeral home. There were many people wearing black dresses and suits along with the few women that were wearing traditional black Hanboks with white ribbons in their hair. The Man knew that his powers brought him to this place for a reason. So, in order to find out why, he decided to look around.

    As he walked and peeked into all the different rooms in the funeral home he over heard a conversation tha piqued his interest. 

  "I heard that she died from a fever." One woman leaned closer to her friend and murmured. 

  "That's her daughter, right?" Her friend pointed to into the room that was in front of them. The Man got closer to see for himself who they were talking about and saw a young girl no older than twenty, sitting against the wall in fetal position. 

  "Yeah." He heard the first woman reply to her friend's question. 

  "She didn't know that her mother was dangerously sick?"

  "She couldn't." The first woman shook her head. "That girl... I don't know what's wrong with her, but she's immune to cold temperatures. In other words, all she can feel is heat. So she wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a fever and an ice cube." 

  This new information didn't really surprise or shock The Man, he's seen much weirder things in the past, but it did answer most of his questions. Now he just needed to figure out who the girl was and how he could help her. 

     He looked back at the girl and almost jumped when he saw that she staring in his direction. It wasn't that he was creeped out because she was looking at him. No, that wasn't the case. Not at all. Actually, the thought never crossed his mind.

  No, what had scared him was the fact that, amoung all the black and white that was around them, her eyes held the only color. 

Red.

   That was all he saw in them. And as he kept staring into her fiery red eyes he was suddenly shown different images of horrible flames wreaking havoc. He could hear many screams coming from both men and women; some even from children. 

  And just when the horror was getting too much for him, he woke up. 

 While gasping for breath he leaned over to his bed side table and picked up his phone.

   He quickly speed dialed a number and eagerly waited for someone to pick up.

"Yes, Headmaster?" The Man heard a sleepy voice answer on the other end. "Is there something that you need?"

    "Yes, I want you to to wake up the boys in units Green and Sky and send them to Gyeongju Funeral House right now!"

  "Right Now?!" The person on the other end groaned. "You do know that it's Midnight, right?"

 "Time doesn't matter at the moment. We need to get the boys there before anything horrible happens. Now hurry!"

  He could hear the other person groan a bit more and cry out in dispair. "Uugh. Fine. Alright! Grr... tell your visions that they need to get a watch 'cause I'm really getting tired at how random they are."

 The serious frown on The Man's face relaxed a bit and he chuckled. "I'll make sure to tell them that the next time they show me another innocent mutant in danger." 

     He heard a low "You better." before the other person hung up and went to go wake up the boys needed for the mission. The Man released a tired sigh and leaned up against the backboard of his bed. He knew that, no matter what, something horrible was going to happen at the Funeral Home. 

 He just hoped that the kids would be just in time to save the poor girl. 

Yujin's POV:

      The air inside the building was hot. Hotter than I'm used to feeling. I knew that some of it was from the building's heater that they for people that were trying to get away from the supposidly cold weather. The rest of it was most likely from the many people breathing inside the building. My Mother used to tell me that being in a huge group will make you feel warmer because everyone's hot breath is able to warm the air around you. Which is why events like concerts and social evens make you feel warmer than usual.

   That's just what she would tell me. My body's always warmer than usual so I'd never be able to tell the difference. Well... except for now anyway.

 I could feel the sweat form on my forehead and I used the sleeve of the black Hanbok that I was wearing to wipe it away. I was the only one in the room where my Mother's casket sat. The few visitors that came to show their respects were all having a late meal in the room next door, they were being served by my Mother's former co-worker who was nice enough to volunteer since I don't have other family members or friends to do the job.  

    I looked up at the clock on the wall to see what the time was. 

 It read 1:00 AM.

  Two days. That's how long it's been. Two days since I saw my Mother drop to the ground. Two days since I last heard her voice.

      Two days.... that's how long she's been dead.

  I turned my head to look at her picture sitting on the casket and thought about all the questions that I've been asking myself during this two day period. Like usual, they would first be about my Mother.

   Why was she sick?

   Why didn't she tell me that she was suffering?

   Why didn't she go to the hospital?

 Then I would aim them at myself.

     Why didn't I notice anything?

     Why did I have to forget to bring my phone that day?

     Why am I so helpless?

     Why wasn't I normal?

  After that, it would end with the same question, over and over again.

   Why did she tell me to find my brother? 

  I found it odd that she chose those words as her last. It's been years since she last mentioned him and I always thought it was because she thought he was dead and she wanted to avoid feeling the grief of losing him. 

"Yujin-ah." A low yet familiar voice broke through my thoughts and grabbed my attention. I looked to where the voice came from and instantly felt my heart start to beat with rage. 

  Standing in the entrance of the room was my Father and his Wife/Mistress. 

  I quickly stood up. "What the hell are you doing here...?" 

My Father awkwardly cleared his throat. "I-I'm here to pay my respects to your Mother."

   "Pay your respects?" I repeated what he said. "And what makes you think that you have the right to do that?"

 "Watch your mouth. Even if we're not married anymore I still have the right to respect her as a person." He scolded me.

  "Oh? You think so?" I dryly chuckled. "You REALLY think that you have the right to show your face to the person who you BETRAYED and ABANDONED?! Well guess what! You DON'T!!" He and his Mistress stepped back in shock from my sudden temper.

  "If anything, you showing up here isn't respecting my Mother at all!" I glared and pointed at th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter