Part One

Propose

 

 

"Come on, Mimi."

"I don't know, Jiho." Mimi who just finished teaching her dance class for that afternoon feels a little skeptical being bombarded with questions from her younger friend, Jiho.

"What are you waiting for? I bet YooA has been dying for you to make the move."

"You think so?" Mimi ask.

"Hey, I got to admit her acting was pretty bad the other day, but it's obvious she badly wants it even though she said otherwise."

"Look, I appreciate you being all supportive, I really do but I don't think YooA wants to settle down now." Mimi briefly smiles as she turns back while packing her stuff ready to leave.

"How long are you going to wait for, another 5 years?" Jiho roll her eyes. "By then you guys are going to be 30!"

Mimi stifles a laugh, "If that's what she wants."

"Gosh, you're impossible."

"Hey, just focus on yourself and Binnie for now," Mimi says as she swings her bag over her shoulder. "Your big day's coming soon, aren't you worried."

"Ugh." Jiho makes a gagging sound. "I'm not worried at all but Binnie is all paranoid, I don't know what's going into her head."

Mimi pat Jiho’s back to give her a little courage, "You should be used to it by now," Mimi chuckle as she shakes her head. "Got to go now, see you next week." Jiho sighs as she briefly waves Mimi off.

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

"What?" YooA turns to look at Seunghee who is gazing at her earnestly. They are in a bookstore, searching for a fiction book that YooA has been dying to read. But since they met up at the station, Seunghee has been really quiet and keeps on giving suspicious look at YooA.

"Tell me," Seunghee say eventually. "I need to know something, you don't really want to wait another 5 years before you get married, do you?"

"Of course…" There's a long pause, YooA purses her lips. She knows better than to lie to her best friend. "No, of course not."

"And you think she's the one, right?" Seunghee continues to look at YooA's eyes searchingly. YooA feels her cheeks getting warm.

"Yes. " She says as she turns back to the bookshelf she was previously browsing through. "I think she is."

"Good then … can you hurry up a little I'm hungry now, there's a ramen shop down the street it looks good." YooA let out the breath she was holding in and glad that Seunghee has dropped the topic and is back to her normal self.

 

Mimi and YooA have been together and going strong for more than 6 years. From dance students in a prestige performing arts college to owning their own Dance Academy called, Me&You Dance Academy. Sure enough, they have little arguments and bickering with each other every now and then because of their different ways of thinking. But the both of them have always try to work and fix things ups whenever it happened.

 

Questions about them settling down started to pop out more from their close friends and even their family members. Furthermore, two of their close friends, Jiho and Binnie wedding is just around the corner.

 

It's not like YooA had never thought about it, YooA is more than ready to settle down. She's ready to commit all her life with Mimi. In fact, she lately she sometimes took guilty peeks through wedding magazines she saw in some bookstores or the wedding boutiques she walked past just to have a glimpse of what is it like. 

 

And as much as YooA can remember, she and Mimi have never really sat down and have a serious talk about them settling down and start their own family. She only remembers those small conversations they had like, "How many kids do you want to have?" In which YooA said 2 while Mimi said 6. Or the other time when they walked past a jewelry shop that was on huge sale which rarely do and YooA said to Mimi, "When you propose to me, please buy me at least 12k gold ring and not the ones on sales or else, I'll say NO."

 

It was a joke of course.

 

But YooA regrets what she said the other day when Binnie and Jiho came over to her house to personally give their wedding invitation card.

 

"I wonder who will catch the bouquet," Binnie says eagerly, rubbing her hands together and crossing her legs on the sofa. 

"Of course, it will be YooA." Jiho says as if it's an obvious answer.

"No… not me." YooA quickly retorts and takes a quick glance at Mimi who is lying on her lap, playing with her phone. Is she even listening to this? 

"What? You don't want to be next?" Jiho's eyes wide with now full of chips like a kid. "Ah ah don't worry, my bouquet is small you will definitely be able to catch it easily you know."

"Err, it's not about that." YooA glances urgently at Mimi this time, hoping Mimi will give some reaction but nothing. She doesn't want Mimi to think that she is pressuring her or anything. She thinks Mimi might need a little more time before they could go on to the next phase.

"I don't know maybe not for at least .. 5 years?"

"What?!" Both Jiho and Binnie say in unison. YooA shrugs and acts as if it's not a big deal but deep down she didn't mean it.

"Are you serious? Hey, Mimi you heard that?" Jiho slaps Mimi on her thigh but Mimi already had her attention on YooA.

"Really?" Mimi says, a little confuse. YooA suddenly feels anxious, her face hot.

"Yes, I … just thought that maybe I should use that time to explore the world more, you know get to know myself and what I can do for the future." YooA starts to blabber anything that

comes to her mind.

"Bull." Binnie glares at Jiho's choice of word but she ignores it. "I'm sure you don't need 5 years. I thought you guys are doing well with the dance academy."

"Well, yeah … " YooA awkwardly laugh. "I just thought of writing my own book." It's not technically a lie. YooA loves to read and she does have dreams of writing her own book but for now, the dance academy is her first priority.

"Is that so," Mimi finally say, nodding her head. "That's actually a great idea, I will definitely support you." Mimi takes a handful of chips and stands up. "I got to go now see you later tonight, ShiahShia." Mimi bends down to give a little peck on YooA's forehead before saying her goodbyes to Jiho and Binnie.

 

Wait hang on, she's not supposed to agree with me. YooA blinks a few times, confuse as she watches Mimi leaving the front door without sparing a glance at her. 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------