Let me live

His Not-So-Ordinary Life

 

Kim Jongin lives a boring life.

 

Simple, peaceful yet boring life.

 

He lived in the same apartment, after leaving his parent’s house, for eight years. He works an occasional job for five days in a week at the dance studio as a teacher and choreographer. His circle of friends consists of his best friend Taemin who he had known for 15 years. His friend Chanyeol who he had met at college who now works at a local small-paid entertainment as a producer and songwriter. And his friend-slash-coworker, Sehun with his doe-eyed boyfriend, Luhan.

 

The only excitement he gets in his life is the occasional drunk escapades and the weekly-marathon of the subbed version of Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead.

 

And honestly, he couldn’t be happier. It’s not that he doesn’t like parties or the blinding lights of the popular bars. He just enjoys the sitting alone on his couch with his kids (his poodles, Monggu and Jangga) and the occasional entertaining fights of his friends on Skype over the local news.

 

He lives joyfully. Ordinary yet he’s content. There’s nothing more he can or needed to ask for.

 

That’s why he’s at the neighborhood bakery shop, buying coffee for his lazy co-workers after losing bet over who kids Mom could screamed the loudest.

 

He should’ve betted on Mrs. Kim over the other Mrs. Kim. So many Kims he sometimes thought he’s related to Chanyeol’s co-worker, Jongdae by now.

 

He sighed as another granny started talking to the cashier cheerfully. Sometimes the workers here were too friendly. Appreciate it when you’re over the counter, learn to despise when you’re lines before it.

 

Suddenly he felt a presence over his left and he turned to it.

 

“Sir?” a guy with a boyish face and chestnut hair called.

 

He smiled in greeting and faced him more to hear what he has to say.

 

“I’m sorry for the inconvenience of the line, I’m Baekhyun and I will be serving you for now.” He said with a soft voice and a blush on his face in what he thinks is from embarrassment. “It’s afternoon and usually the grannies would like to order and hang around here a lot.”

 

“No, its fine.” He exclaimed, shaking his head with a gentle smile. “It’s just my first time that I had to wait in line. I’m sorry if I look like I was pissed.”

 

He shook his head and exclaimed, “That’s why I have to take advance orders,” Holding up a notepad and a pen. “It’s a usual occurrence here and our boss wouldn’t like anyone to be cranky.”

 

He smiled even more, grateful for the service of the place. The owner must be super nice to think of the comfortability of the customers.

 

Taking a glance over the counter, thinking may be the one serving customers was the owner. Assuming with the way the old ladies were cheerfully and excited to talk to him or her, he or she was doing a good thing. “Then I would like four black coffees and two brown ones,” He said with a bright grin.

 

He nodded, writing it down then walking away.

 

Wait. , he forgot his. He exclaimed suddenly, gently pulling Baekhyun’s sleeve, “And hot chocolate please!”

 

The server let out small laugh, nodding and writing his order. Motioning Jongin to take a sit after handing him his number.

 

But it’s too late, he was already blushing. Giving the server a strained smile then looking down.

 

Already flustered by his outburst. He walked to a sit by the window with his head bowed like a kid scolded to sit at the corner.

 

Scratching the back of his ear as he heard snickers from the old ladies from a few tables at the back. Cute, he heard.

 

He groaned, imagining what his friends might say.

 

Embarrassing, Taemin would have scoffed. Adorable puppy, Luhan would have cooed. And Flustered little , Sehun would have exclaimed with a chuckle. While Chanyeol would have let out his boisterous laughter and most likely will go to the other grannies to tell them other stories about him.

 

He bowed his head, his hand running over his nape in struggle to distract himself from his already red face.

 

Just yesterday he fell asleep on his way home and squealed when he realized he was block away. That girly squeal actually attracted a few high school girls attention (which he was trying to impress due to his manly yet extremely gay pride) and other passengers. Also, the other day, he accidentally picked up and slammed a playboy magazine in front of the cute cashier boy, which he had to argue he mistook as the new issue of Batman because he saw the boy wear a few t-shirts of it, the guy only looked at him weirdly and punching the code then putting in a bag. And lastly, last week he cried calling his friends to come over his apartment because he saw Valak in his bathroom, realizing late when he realized it was only a mop with a black curtain over it. It also didn’t help that he kept stubbing his toe on something like a chair or a table all over his workplace either in front of his students or his co-workers.

 

It’s all the same. He just kept embarrassing himself. It’s as if the universe is making a big sparkling sign board telling him that there will be large one embarrassing moment to jinx the rest.

 

He can feel it. Sooner than later he will—

 

“That’s my seat.”

 

He jumped, looking down.

 

A boy, in ages what he might think is around three to four years old, with large eyes and already pouting lips is glaring at him.

 

It’s as if all thoughts about his failures suddenly flew out of his head.

 

He blinked once, twice and three times but he can’t help but feel warm all over, a slow smile grazing his lips. “Pardon?” He said, leaning over to face the boy.

 

“That seat.” Pointing over the chair he’s currently sitting in then pointing at himself, “My seat.”

 

“Uh...”

 

The boys glare intensifies, his pout grows and he’s trying real hard not to squeal over the cuteness. The kid’s wearing a jumper! What is not cute about that?

 

Then suddenly, the cute boy begins to whine, stomping his feet repeatedly.

 

Jongin panics, his eyes widen in alarm. Sensing a close tantrum, he stands up from his seat and crouching in front the boy, holding his shoulder.

 

“Uh, this seat, right?” He asked, pointing at the blue round seat. The boy nods, his glare and pout still intact. He bites his lip to stop himself from screaming. “You could sit here. But can I take seat on the other side?” He asked gently and the boy looks down seriously contemplating on it.

 

Jongin doesn’t know why, but he is immediately mesmerized by the grumpy kid. With bowl cut and all, he is truly astonished. The boy looks up at him, his lips going into a straight line but eyes still scrunched up in a glare. He really is giving all his restraint not to pinch his chubby cheeks.

 

“Because there aren’t any seats left.” He lied, there are a few seats open actually. But he can’t seem to imagine himself wanting to be separated from the boy. He feels like a e now.

 

“Okay,” The boy exclaimed, eyes now growing wide without the glare and lips grazed up into a small smile. And Jongin can’t help but grin brightly.

 

“Okay.” He said as he takes a seat across from the boy after the kid refused his help.

 

Suddenly the boy jumped until his hands are on top of the chair.

 

Titling his head, he watches the boy as he groans lifting himself unto the seat half-head taller than him. “Can you do it?” he asked amused.

 

“Yes,” he huffed as he already has his arms and chin propped up over the seat. “You sure?” He questioned him, worry slowly retching itself into his gut.

 

“Uhuh.” He hummed as heaved his leg over the seat, Jongins hand already prepared for a close fall as he able to push half of his body on the seat.

 

Slowly, like the boy said, he got himself on the seat by himself.

 

Blush spreading his cheeks, the boy inhaled a huge gulp of air.

 

“You okay?” he asked, weary of the boy’s situation.

 

The boy nodded, breathing heavily with his eyes closed.

 

Jongin looked at him, not realizing the smile already taking half of his face. The kid’s tough, he can say that. Most kids his age tend to whine too much and be dependent on their parents.

 

He froze suddenly. Parents?

 

“Um, kid?” he called the boy, a bit weary. The boy looked up, eyes round. Jongin suddenly felt enlightened but he suppressed the grin that he surprisingly has to urge to bring out. “Where are your parents?”

 

The boy blinks up at him. He inhales and exhales a huge take of air. Then he glances over the cashier. “My Appa works here.”

 

“Oh?” Jongin exclaimed, looking over behind him to look at the counter. Unfortunately, seems like another granny is having another conversation with the server, which might be the kid’s father. And yet again he can’t seem to take a glimpse of said man. He faces the boy again. “He’s quite busy, isn’t he?”

 

The boy nods with a strained smile.

 

Noticing the boy’s mood slowly deteriorate. He tried to grin a little wider, leaning a bit. “Your dad must be cool, huh?”

 

He looked up at him with wide eyes. Then he gave him a small smile and nodded.

 

Jongin smiled. “My name’s Jongin, by the way. You can call me hyung if you want?”

 

The boy stared as he exclaimed. “Okay.”

 

Jongin scrunched up his brows in confusion. “Shouldn’t I know your name, too?”

 

The boy shook his head. “My Appa says I shouldn’t get to know strangers.”

 

“But you let me sit here?” “He also says I should be nice to them.”

 

He chuckled, looking at the kid in wonder. “You’re a weird boy.”

 

“And you’re a weird hyung.” The boy said casually.

 

Jongin raised an eyebrow. “Why do you say I’m weird?”

 

The boy stared at him, from his feet to the top of his head, like he’s sizing him up. He kind of feels molested.

 

Jongin still grinned at him in amusement.

 

“You look like one.”

 

He leaned back, surprised at the throw of words. “That’s pretty offensive of you to say.”

 

“My Appa says that sometimes I should keep words to myself.” The boy shrugged.

 

Jongin hummed, “Your Appa’s right.”

 

“But it doesn’t apply to you, Hyung.”

 

His eyebrows go up as he stared at the boy with mouth agape.

 

There’s only one word he could think of. Savage. But Jongin still manages to laugh, because honestly, he can’t like this boy any more than he could already have.

 

“Oh, hello there!”

 

Jongin turned around as he smiles at a granny greeting the boy.

 

The boy, like flipping a coin, faced and greeted the old lady politely. Jongin could only chuckle.

 

“Wow, he looks so much like you!” Granny said as he looks between Jongin and the kid.

 

He looked at the Granny, surprised. “What?”

 

“Your son right here.” The granny said as he points at the boy. “You two look alike.” Jongin stared at the boy across from him, the same time as the boy stared right back at him.

 

Oh, Jongin thought, He does look like me.

 

“But,” Jongin said as he smiles politely at the old lady, “We aren’t related, Ma’am.”

 

The old lady widens her eyes, bewildered. “Oh. I’m sorry.” She said. “He’s like your double-ganger so I thought…”

 

“No, it’s fine. It’s just, I just met the kid today.” He smiled shyly, rubbing the back of his neck.

 

Granny smiled sweetly, “Well I at least hope he grows to be as handsome as you.”

 

He thanked the granny for her compliment as she walked away.

 

He then looked at the boy across from him to see that he’s staring, quite judgingly, at him.

 

Jongin grinned at him. “What?”

 

The boy shook his head then turning to the side to look out the window.

 

Jongin could only feel giddy inside.

 

But it seems like others like the old lady kept stopping by their table. Cooing on how much they look alike like they were some caged animals in the zoo.

 

Some said that they look like brothers. Others said that the boy was his nephew and he was his Uncle. But the most comments were revolved on how they look like Father and son.

 

And honestly, Jongin can see it. Aside from the boy’s light complexion and wide round eyes, everything seemed to be an exact replica. They both have hair that were smoothed straight against their head, have the same shape of nose, and the same pouty lips.

It’s shocking really.

He would love to admit that the boy was cute. So cute, that if the Purge existed he would likely steal him for the whole time of it. But it seems like the boy wasn’t exactly in tune with him.

Because every time a few people keep commenting on them and leaving, the boy across him would either stare at him weirdly or glare at him.

 

If it showed that Jongin was bothered with any it, the boy didn’t care.

 

And, oh boy, was the kid snarky.

He talked very well for his age and he wasn’t rude, that’s for sure. He also didn’t speak informally or grumbled any words. But does he have a mouth.

 

It seems like your Appa’s shop is quite famous.

Yeah, there’s a lot people.

 

This seat is quite comfortable.

I guess that’s what they do.

 

You know that I teach kids?

Cool, Mrs. Jung does it too.

 

Jongin doesn’t know if he should cry or not. Because another failed attempt at conversation with this kid would make him sob more than Valak ever did with her face.

 

“You’re weird.”

 

He looks up, staring at the boy confused. “Yeah, you already said that.”

 

“Yes, but for a different reason.” The boy explained.

 

“Really?” Jongin chuckled.

 

“Yes,” the boy said. “They say that I look like you.”

 

“Are you bothered by that?” He asked resting his arms against the table, leaning a bit to hear more from the kid.

 

“Not really,” he mumbled. “But some say I look like my Appa.”

 

Jongin raised his eyebrows, then suddenly smiles. “Maybe I look like your Appa?”

 

The boy pouted and Jongin internally squealed. “No, you do not look like him.” The boy whined strongly, Jongin was taken back by the firmness of the boy’s tone. “You do not look like Appa at all.”

 

“Then why?”

 

“ ‘Cos I should only look like my Appa.” He exclaimed, “He’s way cuter.”

 

Jongin pouted. “Hey! I’m cute.”

 

“No, you’re not!” The boy argued.

 

“But you’re cute.” Jongin reasoned, pointing at the boy.

 

“And?”

 

“And they say you look like me. So, I’m cute, too!”

 

“No!” The boy declined, arms flailing at his sides. “You’re supposed to look like me!”

 

“No,” Jongin whined. “I’m older, so you’re supposed to look like me!”

 

The boy huffed, arms crossing in front of his chest.

 

“I call dibs on this face first,” he declared, pointing at his face. “Well, except my dad…” He trailed off.

 

The boy froze then staring curiously at Jongin. “You look like your dad?”

 

“Yeah,” Jongin said casually with a shrug. “You actually look more like him when he was young.”

 

“Really?” He smiled at the boy’s curiousness.

 

“Really.” He said, grinning. “So, your kind of lucky you look like us.”

 

“But I’m cuter, though.” The boy mumbled and Jongin can’t help but coo.

 

“Yeah, you are.” He exclaimed. “But I’m more handsome, though.”

 

The boy glared at the man.

 

Jongin raised his brow. “Or you want to take that one, too?”

 

The boy pouted, avoiding eye contact with him. Jongin laughed. “Alright, you win.”

 

The boy grinned up at him cutely, letting our small giggle.

 

Kim Jongin can now die happy.

 

After their little argument, the boy seemed comfortable with him now.

 

The boy still didn’t tell him his name but he talked animatedly about stories, eyes wide and sparkling. He talked about the kid he hated that likes to snag all his Appas attention when he visits his school. He talked about the girl that he fights with during class. And talk about the café and how his dad is a good baker.

 

With every giggle and excited crack of the boy Jongin’s heart swelled with affection. Smile unending and laugh continuous.

 

“Taeoh!”

 

A voice suddenly called. Jongin even flinched at the loud booming voice.

 

“Appa!” Jongin stared at the boy with wide eyes as he greeted excitedly.

 

Jongin turned around just in time for a man to come close to them.

 

And he can only think of one word;

 

Beautiful.

 

What a beautiful creature he was seeing. With pretty light complexion, black hair that reached above his eyebrows and side cut neatly which is giving him a boyish charm. It didn’t help that he was wearing a white uniform that makes him even more like an angel sent down from heaven.

 

Jongin was so smitten he can’t help but gape at the man. Eyes blinking furiously as if can’t believe he could meet an ethereal son-of-God.

 

Then suddenly the man’s looking at him weirdly and he can’t help but smile goofily at his round eyes.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

Wow, his mouth is pretty too when it opens.

 

“Sir?!”

 

“Huh?” Jongin said blissfully at him, now staring at his plump lips and listening to his captivating voice.

 

“I said what you were doing with my son, Sir.” The man asked politely, holding the boy closer to him.

 

“Oh,” Jongin blurted. Eyes glancing at the boy, Taeoh. “I-uh—”

 

“I let him sit here, Appa.”

 

The beautiful man then turned to his child, eyes turned wide. “What?”

 

Taeoh nodded casually as if it was normal that his Appa was freaking out. Then the man turned to him eyes and Jongin can’t help but blush.

“He let you?” He said pointing at his child with his right arm while embracing the boy with his left.

 

Jongin nodded furiously, encasing his lower lip between his teeth.

 

“You didn’t threaten him?”

 

He shook his head.

 

“And he didn’t threaten you?”

 

Jongin blinked at him then shaking his head once again.

 

“He didn’t kick you?”

 

Another shook.

 

“He didn’t try to strangle you?”

 

Shook.

 

“He didn’t tell you that he was the son of Satan?”

 

Jongin gaped, then blurted. “Uh, no…?”

 

The man then let out a large sigh, holding his chest. “Oh, thank God.”

 

He then held Taeoh tightly, squeezing his cheek against the boy’s head. Jongin didn’t resist the smirk that was growing on his lips, staring at the father and son in front of him. Cute.

 

“It was either you held a grudge against him or you were now his slave.”

 

Jongin paused, wide eyes staring at the man.

 

The male then froze, seem to notice that there was a person in front of him. “I’m sorry. This usually happens a lot.”

 

His eyes turned wider, straightening his spine unconsciously.

 

“Oh, no. I mean the slavery part but not the-someone-holding-a-grudge-against-him thing.”

 

Jongin let out a shocked breath. The man then smiled shyly, holding his hand out. “I’m Kyungsoo by the way. I apologize for being weird earlier.”

 

Suddenly the sun shines too brightly for Jongin as the angelic man in front of him, now Kyungsoo, smiled at him. A heart-shaped one at that.

 

Jongin chuckled, scratching the skin behind his ear. “Yeah, it’s only natural.”

 

Kyungsoo hummed then slowly frowns and thick brows scrunched up, as if remembering something. He faces him and Jongin let out a mental squeal. “By any chance, were you the one that ordered a bunch of coffees and hot chocolate?”

 

The tanned male blinked, suddenly remembering why he’s in here in the first place. “Oh,” he stuttered. “Y-yeah, that was me.”

 

“Hm,” Kyungsoo nodded. “Then I came here to apologize for the slight electrical issue of our coffee machine. Our barista, Minseok, is working on it, but it’ll take some time.”

 

“No, it’s fine.” Jongin exclaimed taking few glances at Taeoh. “I have great company here.”

 

The boy blinked at him, then pouted cutely turning to the window. Jongin only scrunched up his nose him.

 

Kyungsoo smiled “Then, you wouldn’t mind if I sit here with you?” Jongin looked up at him, grinning widely “Of course not!” He said, scratching his nape shyly, “If you’re not busy…”

 

Mr. Perfect shook his head. “The cashier is not as full as before and I don’t have anything to bake anymore.” He said as he took the seat in front of him, placing Taeoh on his lap. “So, I’m free to spend time.”

 

Jongin prayed to God that this is not just a flunk dream that was way too vivid and the man in front of him is not an angel.

 

Oops, Kyungsoo still is.

 

“Sir?”

 

Jongin then realized that he’s staring way too creepily at the man. He laughed it off, coughing here and there to make it less awkward.

 

It doesn’t help.

 

“You’re being weird again, Hyung.” Taeoh exclaimed, looking at the male with a mix of a confusion and disgust.

 

Jongin froze, letting out stuttered breaths and short awkward snorts as if it lessened the strange looks the boy was giving him. “I—I’m not being weird.”

 

“Yes, you are.” The boy plainly said with a straight face.

 

“I’m not.”

 

“You’re sweating, Hyung.” Jongin blinked, touching the side of his face. He looked bewildered at the moist liquid on his fingertips. The tan male said

 

“Um, it’s summer soo…”

 

Kyungsoo chuckled, “Actually it’s spring now.”

 

“Oh.”

 

The baker laughed, “Sir, it’s alright it’s probably the air condition.”

 

Jongin scratched the shell of his ear, chuckling. “Y-You don’t have to call me sir.”

 

Kyungsoo smiled, pulling Taeoh closer into his chest when the young boy whined of slipping off, “What should I call you then?”

 

Jongin opened excitedly to say his name.

 

“Jonginie!”

 

The dance teacher stopped, his mouth still agape as he stared at boy sitting on the angel’s lap.

 

“You should call him Jonginie, Appa!” Taeoh said, enthusiastically and Jongin can’t help but feel like he wants to smash his face on his face, “He said that’s what his friend called him.”

 

Kyungsoo laughed once again, looking at the boy. “Really? That’s quite a name.” He said, as he moved his eyes to Jongin.

 

Now, this is the time Jongin once again will mess up everything, just give it a second or two.

 

Just thinking of it makes Jongin kind of sick because Kyungsoo is kind of perfect with his nice hair, skin, voice and everything, and he can’t mess this up and it’ll be—

 

“Jonginie?”

 

Jongin froze. Did Kyungsoo just—?

 

Eeeeeeekkkk!

 

. Out of all the thing—

 

A laugh.

Jongin suddenly stopped, turning to the person in front of him.

 

The father and son duo are laughing. Laughing at him, but Kyungsoo has a such beautiful laughter he couldn’t care less. Jongin chuckled with them, scratching the back of his neck.

 

“At least you’re not judging me.”

 

Kyungsoo let out another round of laughter before looking up at him. “I think it was unexpectedly adorable.”

 

“And embarrassing!” Taeoh yelled, silently stifling out giggles.

 

“Sorry,” He said, feeling warm all over.

 

“No, it’s fine.” Kyungsoo said, smiling and hugging the boy. “Taeoh and I like unique people.”

 

Jongin grinned, “Thanks.”

 

“Kyungsoo!” The baker turned to the voice.

 

“Yeah, Minseok hyung?” He yelled back.

 

“The one who ordered a bunch of coffees are done!”

 

“Oh!” Kyungsoo exclaimed, smiling at him “Seems like you can finally head out now.”

 

Jongin frowned, feeling a hard disappointment wash over him. Kyungsoo placed Taeoh down, walking over the counter.

 

“You’ll be back right?”

 

He turned over to the boy, surprised. “What?”

 

“You’ll be back here.” Taeoh said with a pout “You’re going to order coffee and chocolate again, right?”

 

Jongin blinked slowly then a smile slowly started to rise on his lips, ”Yeah, of course, buddy.” He said, leaning closer to the boy, “I have a great reason to come back now.”

 

Taeoh smiled, “Good.”

 

“Here it is, Jongin!” Kyungsoo walked over to them, handing the dancer the bag of coffees. “Wish we served you well.”

 

“More ways than one.” He said, standing up and taking the bag from the owner.

 

“It’s a good catchphrase.” Kyungsoo said. “Taeoh came up with it.”

 

“He’s a smart kid.” Jongin exclaimed, turning to the boy. “Bye, Taeoh!”

 

Once again, like a sudden switch, the boy frowned and turned away from him.

 

Both of him and Kyungsoo laughed. “Sorry, it takes time for him to warm up to someone.” Kyungsoo said, showing him to the door.

 

“No, it’s nice to have challenge.” He said, turning to him and liking the height difference. Once again, Kyungsoo is perfect.

 

“You’ll come back?”

 

“Taeoh said I could.” Jongin said, grinning widley.

 

“Huh,” The baker titled his head, amazement evident in his eyes.

 

“What?” He asked, chuckling.

 

“Nothing,” Kyungsoo smiled, “You better go, though.”

 

“Oh,” Jongin now realizing he has been staying longer than necessary. “Yeah, my co-workers are going to kill me.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

Jongin smiled, stepping out of the door.

 

“Come back again!”

 

Jongin laughed wholeheartedly, facing the baker once again. “Of course!”

 

“Good.”

Father like son, I guess. Grinning widely, he jogs over his work place.

 

A bad day turned into a one lucky day.

 

As he entered the entrance of the dance studio, he can’t help but shout,

 

“Guys, I happily got your orde—”

 

Smack!

 

Loud laughter is what invites him when he enters the studio full of his coworkers.

 

“See, that’s why I like clear glass doors!” He hears Sehun exclaim as another round of laughter abrupted once again.

 

Again, nothing can break his day, even when his nose is.