Irony

Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Tsk!! This can’t go on. Not this year too..”


Baekhyun was tapping his pen at his desk while looking at the calendar in his phone. It’s Sehun’s birthday tomorrow, and every year, it’s almost like a tradition for him to make a cake and give it to Sehun. Byun Baekhyun and Oh Sehun had been friends since no one can even remember. They were friends before they could talk, or walk. Maybe they were even friends since before they were born. They live as neighbors, and their parents also knew each other so well. So it was almost like a routine for them, maybe since middle school, that every year on Sehun’s birthday, Baekhyun would make cakes or chocolate for him, and every time it’s Baekhyun’s, Sehun will cook him dinner and they would have a ing romantic candle-light picnic on the Oh family’s beautiful backyard.


But this year was different. Sehun had a boyfriend. Of course both of them knows that Baekhyun was gay, while Sehun swing both ways. He occasionally flirt with boys and girls from their school, but never officially dated one, while Baekhyun, even though he was popular, never had a single boyfriend. He has this feeling towards Sehun, which he can’t describe himself. It’s kind of a possessive feeling, and deep down he was relieved that Sehun has never dated anyone. He couldn’t figure out what feeling he’s having for Sehun, but he had hoped that it was not that kind of feeling. Love. Not as best friends, but more. He didn’t want that kind of feeling to ever come to him because he knows it would ruin their friendship. But one day, Sehun had a crush. Like a real crush. 


That was the first time Baekhyun heard Sehun said someone was cute. It was a new student in his senior year who has just transferred from the States. The new guy was cute of course, but Baekhyun didn’t knew that guy like this was Sehun’s type. Sehun always hit on someone who he thinks is y, or hot, or handsome, or beautiful. But not cute. Sehun had only once called someone cute, and it was him, Byun Baekhyun. This Do Kyungsoo (Baekhyun found out his name from his classmate, Chanyeol) was too cute for his own good. And Sehun, the guy who claimed he will never have a relationship with anybody, fell in love with this guy. With encouragements from his best friend, Sehun finally confessed to him, and they were a very happy couple for three months now. And since Sehun finally had a boyfriend, Baekhyun didn’t want him to get the wrong idea about his friendship with Sehun if he still make cakes for Sehun like a loyal lover would do.


Baekhyun was still wondering how to tell Sehun that he wasn’t going to make a cake for him this year when somebody hit his table so hard that it made him jump out of surprise.


“Son of a bi— Sehun!!!!!!!” Baekhyun yelled at the prick who was already sitting beside him and was laughing out loud.


“You should see your face Hyung!! It was so funny! ‘Son of a bi—Sehun!!!!‘” Sehun imitated him, still laughing hard, and it made Baekhyun smiled a little. He could never get mad at Sehun. He was used to his jokes and never got mad once at his jokes or pricks because Sehun was never too mean anyway. “What are you doing? You seemed like you’re so lost in thoughts so seriously. What’s up?” Sehun asked him when his laugh was over. See? Sehun is a sweet person, and he even realized Baekhyun was thinking so hard.


“Nothing. Sleepy,” Baekhyun answered. He locked his phone and laid his head on the table surface, sighing, still thinking the best way for him to tell Sehun. Maybe he should just say it?


“Naa~h, not buying,” Sehun said. “Come on, tell me. What are you thinking about? Why do you looked so stressed up?”


Baekhyun straightened up, and faced Sehun. He saw those dark and sharp captivating eyes and he knew that he couldn’t lie to those eyes. He took a deep breath before finally saying what’s on his mind. “Soooo... I remember that... tomorrow is your birthday..”


“Uh-huh.”


“And... I always made you cake or chocolate on your birthday..”


“Uh-huh.”


“And... this year is not different either...” Baekhyun was avoiding Sehun’s eye now.


“I bet.”


“But... I... I... You... have a boyfriend now... and I—“


“Cut the crap, Hyung,” Sehun cut his words. He looked a little bit pissed. “What are you trying to say?”

“Tsk, how do I say this...” Baekhyun scratched the back of his neck, and Sehun knew what that means. His best friend is nervous, and Sehun really have no idea what he had to be nervous of in front of Sehun. So Sehun took Baekhyun’s other hand, the one that was not scratching his neck, leaned in to look Baekhyun in the eye, and asked him softly, “What’s the matter, Byun Baekhyun?”

Baekhyun sighed and finally decide that he has to say it. “Sehun, I’m not going to make any cakes or chocolate for your birthday this year.”


Sehun pulled back and made a very surprised face. “Whaaaaaaaaaa~t?” he whined. “Why not? You always make me cakes and chocolates for my birthday!”


“Sehun, but you—“


“I’m not getting tired of it if that’s your reason. I never was and never will, Hyung.”

Baekhyun laughed hearing what Sehun said. “It’s not that, Sehunnie… I... uh.. It’s that... you have Kyungsoo now..”


There was a short pause before Sehun finally say, “So?” and that made Baekhyun dropped his head to the table and he ran his fingers through that soft brown locks of him.


“Hunnieeeeee..” now Baekhyun was whining. He turned his face, still glued to the table but now facing Sehun. “Don’t you understand? Kyungsoo once thought I was your boyfriend.. And it was really hard to convinced him that I’m not. And if I gave you cakes and chocolate for your birthday this year, what would he think? He will suspect us even more. Do you wanna break his heart..?”


Sehun blinked a few times trying to process what Baekhyun was saying, and when he finally understand, he laughed. This made Baekhyun looked at him like he was a crazy person. “Yaaaaah, you think it’s funny? I’m serious here, Hunnie!”


Sehun pinched Baekhyun’s cheek. “You are so cute, ByunBaek Hyung. I think if there’s anybody cuter than Kyungsoo, it would’ve been you,” he said, making Baekhyun blush and raise his head from the table. He slapped Sehun’s bicep.


“It’s not funny! Hunnie stop your laughing..! Yaaaa~h..”


Sehun finally stopped laughing and he patted Baekhyun’s head softly. “Yah, ByunBaek. When you decide to stop making me cakes and chocolates for my birthday, that’s when the world will end, because when the world end, that’s when I’ll stop being your best friend.”


“But Sehun..”


“So don’t you ever think of not making me those stuffs this year. Even if I have Kyungsoo Hyung now, you are still my bestfriend. So please, please pleaseeeee... don’t even think about it. Kyungsoo Hyung won’t get jealous. I promise you,” Sehun leaned back at his chair, but never breaking eye contact with Baekhyun.

“Sehun...”

“Oh, in fact, dang how can I forget about this… he wanted the three of us spending some time together tomorrow,” Sehun said, smiling.


“The three of us? You mean… you and Kyungsoo… with me?”


The younger boy laughed with his deep and low voice that always made Baekhyun shiver with excitement. “Yes, of course with you, silly. And please don’t say you won’t come because I will not enjoy my time just being with Kyungsoo Hyung. You know how I’m still awkward when it’s only me and him.”


“But.. but..”


“No buts,” Sehun stood up when he heard the bell telling that break is over rang through the hall and classes. “Tomorrow, Lotte World. 11 am. Wear your cutest clothes, I don’t want you to lose your cuteness even though Kyungsoo Hyung is around. Okay?”


“But Sehun... can I just... wait a second..”


Sehun who already walked to the door turned around to see Baekhyun standing up. “Yes?”


“I.. Can Chanyeol come with us?”


“What???”

Sehun was surprised that he was not the only one yelling. He looked to his side and saw Chanyeol just walked in to Baekhyun’s class. Chanyeol was Baekhyun’s classmate since first grade, and Sehun, being used to having Baekhyun to himself all those years find that Chanyeol’s existence was annoying him. He was too close to Baekhyun. Since Baekhyun knew Chanyeol, there were times when Baekhyun would skip his lunchtime with Sehun just to chat with Chanyeol, or refused to go out with Sehun because Chanyeol was inviting Baekhyun to his house and Baekhyun already said yes. So when Baekhyun said he wanted Chanyeol to come along, on his special day, Sehun was angry.


“Me?”


“Him?? Yah ByunBaek, are you serious??” Sehun half yelled at Baekhyun.


“Yes, Sehun. You think you and Kyungsoo don’t need time for yourselves? And who will I be with then? Alone? Really? Are you that mean? If Chanyeol’s there, at least I won’t be alone.”


“Then I won’t leave you. The three of us are going together, is that not clear enough to you? I’m not having any time just with Kyungsoo Hyung, it’s going to be our time, the THREE of us,” Sehun emphasized the word three while glaring at Chanyeol.


“Right, Baek, this isn’t necessary.

I really don’—“


“Chanyeol-ah, pleaseee?”


Sehun rolled his eyes hearing Baekhyun’s aegyo to Chanyeol. “You should be saying that to me, it’s my special day, Hyung, not his.”


Baekhyun was about to answer when a teacher came and was a bit startled seeing Oh Sehun, who she knew was a junior and supposed to be in the class upstairs, was in this 2nd year’s class. “Well well, Oh Sehun, haven’t you heard the bell rang? Or do you have a problem finding your own class?”


Sehun turned around and smiled at the teacher while bowing at her. “I’m sorry Seonsaengnim. I just... need to borrow a pen from Baekhyun sunbae.”


“Really? Don’t you have any friends at your own class who can borrow you pens?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter