Step 1

Little by little

She couldn't hide the smile that was pasted on her face for quite a while now. The letter in her hand had been there for nearly almost an hour and probably that was how long she had been smiling as well. Behind her was her beloved mother, who was too busy on the mobile, informing every relatives that popped up in her head about the big news. Yes. Park Jiyeon was accepted into the most prestigious university in the country and she was going to chase after her dream of becoming an engineering. For years, she had studied like hell, just for this day to come and when it actually did, words could not express how happy she was.

"What are you doing, Jiyeon-ah? Go and pack your things. We are leaving for Seoul tomorrow,"

Mrs. Park who had finally stopped bragging to the relatives gleefully spoke to her daughter. The Parks could not have felt any happier than before.

 

"The ramen is in the box beside the table, Kimichi in the fridge, there is an extra key in the left drawer, what else do you need?" Mrs.Park kept repeating the obvious facts that Jiyeon had already known.

"Omma, I get it already. Don't worry about me. I can take care of myself. You and appa take care of each other, okay?"

"Araso my dear. Take care and if you need anything, just tell omma. Don't party too much. Make sure you study everyday. Don't forget to take the vitamins daily. Call your father sometimes,"

"Okay omma,"

"Then I will go now,"

Mrs.Park hugged her only daughter, her voice shaky as she said goodbye to her baby. This would be the very first time she would be spearated from her daughter and now that she had to part, she did not want to. Not wanting to make her daughter feels bad, she walked into the airport quickly, never looking back. Take care, darling.

 


Finally, she was alone. The hostel which was just big enough for herself seemed so big and empty. Tomorrow, her day would revolve around the university. She would meet various people, mean, kind, witty, nerdy...all types of people and she couldn't wait for it. Feeling like an elementary student, she turned off the lights and curled herself up among the pillows, feeling homesick for the first time. But, the excitment for tomorrow won over her and soon she fell asleep, wondering what awaits her the next day.