For the First Time in Forever

CLOSER [ drabble challenge ]
 
 
 
 
 
for the first time in forever : 
 

The hum of the engine slows to a halt as the bus reaches the station. People begin shuffling towards the aisle, but you sit mesmerized at the now clear picture outside your window. Seoul is a haven of flickering neon lights amidst a grey landscape.  The tall towers that stretch across the sky are a strange sight. You are used to open fields painted a thousand shades of green, but maybe it wouldn’t be so bad to watch the sun descend amidst the reflection on these towers.

 

As the doors open, the knot in your stomach deepens—whether it is out of elation or gas, you are unsure. When city folks pass across your small town, a shush is always sent your way as you point and marvel towards these strangers. Today, your mother is miles away, and your mouth remains open in agape as you take your first steps across the bustling city street.

 

Cars honk, smoke from the street stalls create a small haze, and people hurry across with the tails of their cloaks flapping behind them.  The urge to point, to marvel, and squeal at all that is new to you wells in your heart, but a strange sense of loneliness washes over you as you realize that there is no one beside you to share this experience with. 

 

Ever the optimist, you force a smile, swallow the feeling, and walk with an extra bounce in your step. A rare patch of sun greets you as you turn a corner and—

 

“Hey!”

 

The world spins, your stomach feels like it’s momentarily going to escape from your throat, and your legs forget how to plant themselves on the cement. A hand reaches out a moment too late as your and bag collide.

 

A sheepish laugh instead of an apology greets you. It is a male, young, you think, based on the sound of his laughter and the waft of cologne you managed to inhale before you toppled over.

 

He is already crouched in front of you, grinning, when you open your eyes.

 

“Are you hurt?”

 

“N-no,” you laugh and force a wide grin, hoping he ignores the way your cheeks flush and grow red as his gaze lingers.

 

“You sure?” He laughs, “you hit me pretty hard there.”

 

“Y-yeah,” you reply, still dizzy, though unsure whether it is from the fall or the embarrassment. Or maybe how good-looking he was? “I wasn’t looking where I was going, but I’m great.”

 

His fingers are long, like a pianist, as they wrap around your hand when he pulls you to your feet.  Embarrassed to meet his eyes, you allow your gaze to linger along his sharp jawline.

 

“Eyes up here,” his grin widens and you can’t help but mirror his good humor. “Oh, uh—“ he begins to move your hand in an up and down motion, refusing to let go. “My name is Bobby.”

 

You smile and follow his gaze as he gestures towards a bus that arrived just prior to yours, “I’m from the Southern Isles.”

 

“Arendelle,” you curtsy and note that your small hands are still entwined with his.

 

“Is that really your name or where you’re from?”

 

“Sorry—“ realizing that you were a bit slow to the joke, you begin to correct yourself just as he laughs. “...where I’m from, obviously. My name is [name].”

 

“My bad, princess,” he grins, eyes twinkling.  “You gonna let go or keep holding on?”

 

As if his hands were scalding hot, you pull away immediately. Another apology is ready to escape from your lips when it is stunted by his booming laughter.  You were never one for intelligent quips or quick comebacks, hence—“…so sorry, this is really awkward.”  

 

His laughter dies, but his amusement remains as words spill out of your mouth. “I’m not saying you’re awkward, I think you’re gorgeous, actually, but I usually just make things awkward, so it’s better if we just say goodbye here and parted our separate ways—“

 

“Slow down there, my lady,” he places his hands on your shoulder. “Breathe,” he commands, grinning. “You think I’m gorgeous? Pretty forward there, didn’t expect someone from Arendelle to be like that.”

 

You aren’t quite sure what pictures he conjured in his head at the mention of Arendelle, but you hope it is not an idealized image of private schools, expensive uniforms, and women meant to inherit unimaginable wealth. Whoever spread the rumor that Arendelle is such a place had obviously never been to that lonely town.

 

“Well,” you dust away imaginary dirt from your dress, “I’m not exactly your ideal of Arendell…ian.” With an arduous sigh, you pick up your luggage from its handle and flash a smile towards the kind stranger whom you hope never to cross paths with again.

 

“I am just, you know,” you begin to say as your hands sweep across your entire frame, “just me.”

 

Just you?” Bobby grins as he steps aside to let you pass. “I think I like this just you.”

 

Your heart flutters, but you attempt to swallow the feeling. He has probably said the same lines to all the girls he manages to accidentally crash into every day. A good-looking boy like that with his wide smile, sharp jawline, and deep voice is just dangerous to a country bumpkin like you.

 

Seoul is your new beginning. You did not plan to come here to befriend strangers or to find “the one.” Doors, which have been shut for you all your life, finally opened the moment you passed the entrance exams and was granted a chance at university. Distractions are unnecessary right now, especially good-looking, heart palpitation inducing distractions, like—

 

“See you at YG,” Bobby gestures towards the logo on your luggage, grinning. “Don’t forget how gorgeous I am,” are his last words before you turn away in order to hide the smile erupting from your lips.

 

Seoul opens up before you, both vibrant and grey, bustling and calm, and for the first time in forever—nothing is in your way. 

 


Prompt: Write a scene from "Frozen" using your own style and characters. 

Scene: When Anna ventures out of the castle for the first time and meets Hans. 

Word count: 1082 words.