Cloudy, With Imminent Thunderstorm

The Devil's Bidding
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Do you know the stinging, burning sensation in your eyes when you try to catch a whole glimpse of the sun? 

 

That’s the feeling I got whenever I look at Mark Lee Minhyung.

 

And wherever you go, you are plagued by his warm, all-permeating rays. Everybody adores him- juniors, seniors, boys, girls, teachers, from the most austere discipline master to the rule-breaking wayward gang members. 

 

And bright and immaculate like the sun he was. He was not only the school’s council president, but also a star player in the basketball team and also a guitarist in the most popular student band. He was extremely hardworking and diligent; all the teachers sang praises of his assignments and class performance. To top it off, he had a great personality to boot- he was also constantly radiating positive energy. He was also the first to welcome strangers to school, to encourage and support his schoolmates when they were upset and also signed up for volunteer activities whenever there were excess slots. Come to think of it, I have never seen him downcast before. He always has a bright beam on his handsome face, embracing his perfect life with his upbeat and cheery attitude.

 

“Shim Raerin!”

 

I snapped out of my reverie upon hearing that familiar annoying snort and glared at the owner of the voice.

 

Do you know the dread festering within you when sudden storm clouds appear right on the horizon, obscuring the sun?

 

Because that’s the feeling I was getting now.

 

“Bugger off.” I grumbled, shooting Donghyuck daggers.

 

Kim Donghyuck was like a downpour that always rained on my parade. He always appears when I least expect him to, which is way too often and when he does, he always tries his best to annoy me to the point of no return. Sometimes it’s just a light drizzle, like when he steals my pencil and makes sure to wear down the untouched eraser on the top. Other times there are angry thunderclaps and storms. Like now. When I was daydreaming about my favourite person in the whole wide world, who was currently helping our elderly Math teacher gather the books to help him carry them to the staff room.

 

Donghyuck was standing right in front of me, obscuring my entire vision of Mark. Doesn’t he know this is one of the few classes I have with him? Right, I didn’t tell anyone about my crush on Mark. Nobody knows. I can’t let anybody know. After all, who’s a nobody like me to even harbour thoughts about someone so perfect?

 

Donghyuck scoffed, his ugly mouth twisted to the side in an incredulous expression. “You should thank me for waking you up from your daydream, you look like a drooling pig.”

 

See what I mean? Unlike the sunny Mark who was full of compliments and nice words for everyone, Donghyuck’s life mission was to run his mouth with insults and taunts. 

 

In spite of my immense distrust of Donghyuck, I hastily scrubbed the sides of my mouth, only to find that they were dry. I narrowed my eyes at him, who was beginning to smirk at me for falling for that. So irritating.

 

“Says the one who eats like a pig.” I gestured to the burger in his hand with distaste, shaking my head. Shall I add, he also eats non-stop? Such humans are burdens to the world and its ecosystem…

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter