Blushing

Blushing

“Well done, _____! You are in the top 1% of South Korea in terms of your marks! A round of applause, everyone!” The booming speaker went off in front of the assembly. Everyone had turned around to look at you. Some were giving you thumbs-ups, while others gave you some dirty looks for achieving much better than they have. You were not quite sure on how to react, so you sort of sat there uncomfortably smiling and perhaps shaking a little.

 

“Woah, that’s our _____. Always doing so well, I wish I could be like that.” While walking to your next class from the assembly, your childhood bestfriend Chen had caught up to you to congratulate you.

 

“Hey _____, you know for all the years I’ve known you, I’ve never seen you blush. Didn’t you feel embarrassed just now? You were even shaking.” The thing was, for your whole life you never blushed. Was it because you always managed to suppress the rising heat to your cheeks, or was it because you had thicker skin? Who knew, but the fact was that you had never blushed in your life. Except once, where you were spotted with red cheeks but even then it was probably due to you laughing really hard when watching Running Man.

 

“Well, I did feel embarrassed but I think I just don’t blush.”

 

“What? How’s that even possible, I bet everyone blushes.”

 

“Well guess what Chen? You just met someone who doesn’t blush.” The siren rang just as you had finished your sentence.

 

“We’ll see about that,” Chen muttered to himself, “I’ll make you blush whether you like it or not.”

 

 

 

 

On the weekend

 

 

Saturday morning seemed to be the start of a good day. No school, no work, no nothing. Especially embarrassing praising. Your day really did kick off to a great start with the pancakes your mum had made.

 

“I told you, I put my secret ingredient in it. Now go outside, you don’t want to be wasting your day inside.” You were wondering what you were going to do for the day when suddenly you received a text from someone. You looked down to your phone and saw that it was none other than Chen.

 

“Hey _____, wanna go to the park?” You decided to pull his leg a little.

 

“Well, I do want to go, but with someone else.”

 

“Whyyyyyyy? What’s wrong with me? Who’s it?”

 

“Maybe someone taller and more handsome.”

 

“Heyyyyyyyy, come on. Don’t be like that. If u come, I’ll buy u ice cream.”

 

“Hahahahah jk, of course I was just kidding. Who wouldn’t want to go with u? Love you <3 :*” Little did you know, your innocent little statement for ice cream made Jongdae’s heart flutter.

 

 “Ok, wen do u want to met up?” Chen’s fingers were not working on his side.

 

“In half an hour then, though what’s up with ur English?” Chen decided to ignore the latter part.

 

“Okay then, cya!”

 

 

 

 

At the park

 

 

“_____! Over here!” You turned around to see Jongdae sitting on a bench under a tree.

 

“Hey Chen-Chen. Where’s my ice cream?”

 

“Oh come on, that’s all a top 1% student thinks about.” You looked at him weirdly. Why was he suddenly bringing that up?

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Oh I mean, I guess I don’t know how it feels like to be that smart. You are so good, I wish I could be like you.”

 

“Umm, Jongdae, are you okay?”

 

“I’ll never be able to do that well. How am I your friend.” This was Chen’s first attempt at making you blush.

 

“Are you failing a subject? Do you need help?” So much for making you blush, instead he just signed up for lunchtime tuition. At least that provides him more chances to make you blush, and it was free, as he really was struggling with math.

 

 

 

 

At recess

 

 

“Hey Umin-hyung, how do you make a girl blush?” Xiumin looked at Chen with a surprised face and narrowed his eyes.

 

“Why are you asking about girls?” Xiumin had said way too loud. Soon after Luhan, Yixing and Tao had surrounded him.

 

“Do you like someone?”

 

“Who do you like?”

 

“Have you asked her out?”

 

“Woah, calm down kids. He wants to know how to make a girl blush.” Kris had popped out of nowhere and had been apparently heard what Jongdae had asked. Jongdae inwardly face-palmed himself. He had now gotten the attention of the whole table.

 

“So who are you trying to make blush?”

 

“It's _____, isn't it?”

 

“I knew it! That's why you keep ditching us at lunch. You like her!” Chen's face was completely blank. He didn't expect his crush to be revealed just like that. Thankfully, he managed to regain his composure quickly.

 

“Noooooo! It's not like that. I was just trying to make her blush because she never does, like never!” Jongdae might have said that in an overly optimistic, overly friendly and overly loud tone. All his friends looked at him suspiciously but left him be.

 

“Well, if you really want to make her blush that badly, try flirting with her. I swear the amount of times my sister's boyfriend flirts with her and makes her blush...” Chen decided to walk off at the sight of seeing Minseok's hands squeezed into fists. Even so, he had just been provided with a great idea.

 

 

 

 

At lunch

 

 

“Okay, so here x would equal...”

 

“Hey _____, is your name Ariel, because I think we were...” Chen paused there as he realised he had ruined the pickup line right from the start, but he decided to just finish it and play it off as a joke, “mermaid to be together.”

 

“No, my name is not Ariel, Chen.” You looked at him weirdly but decided to just ignore him as he was probably just being his troll-like self.

 

“Are you a magician, because whenever I look at you everyone else disappears.”

 

“Hey _____, your eyes are blue, like the ocean, and baby, I'm lost at sea.”

 

“Kim Jongdae! Are you okay? You've been acting really strangely recently. My eyes aren't even blue.” Chen just kept his head down. You were about to continue questioning him when it suddenly clicked.

 

“Have you been trying to make me blush?” Chen looked everywhere but at you.

 

“Maybe...“

 

”Well maybe I only blush around people I like.“ You hoped that by saying that, he would just give it up.

 

 

 

 

With his friends

 

 

“Xiumin, I stuffed up.” Chen groaned as he put his arms around his head.

 

“Why, what's wrong? Did you try flirting?” Xiumin sat down next Jongdae wondering what could have possibly went wrong.

 

“I did, but she worked out that I was trying to make her blush.“

 

”What exactly did you say?“

 

”Well, at one point, I said your eyes are blue, like the ocean, and baby, I'm lost at sea.“ Xiumin immediately face-palmed.

 

”No wonder she realised, _____'s eyes aren't even blue.“ Xiumin muttered.

 

”What?“

 

”Nothing“

 

“Then she went on to say she ”only blushed around people she liked”. Chen could not hide the distaste in his tone. He could not help but think she actually liked someone else. Was it that boy working in the bubble tea shop? Or was it the other boy they had bumped into at the park? ”Why doesn't she like me? What's wrong with me? Why can't she like me back?“

 

”Was that a sudden confession we just heard?“ Once again, the gang had heard everything and gathered around him. Jongdae just muttered some incoherent words.

 

”Dude, just tell her you like her.“

 

”But she doesn't like me. She didn't blush around me, did she?“

 

”Well, you never know until you give it a go,“ Xiumin said mysteriously.

 

”Yeah hyung, be a man!“

 

”Yeah, be manly like me.“

 

”Pfffttt, like that'll get him anywhere.“

 

”Hey, what's that supposed to mean?“

 

”Why don't you use your manly brain to work it out.“ Chen decided that he would confess to you or he would never be able to be with you.

 

 

 

 

After school

 

 

”_____! Wait up!“ Chen ran up to you puffing. ”Let me walk you home.“

 

”Chen, just give up on trying to make me blush.“

 

”Can't I just walk you home then?“

 

”Why are you suddenly doing this? I already told you, stop trying to make me blush. Maybe someone like Kang Haneul can, or Nam Joohyuk. He's so tall...“ All of a sudden, Chen pulled you into his embrace.

 

”Do you know why I'm doing this?“

 

”N...No.“ You shock made you stutter. You had never been this close to Kim Jongdae before and you had absolutely no clue what he was trying to do. He wouldn't take his challenge this far.

 

”Well _____, I've liked you ever since I dropped my ice cream on you when we were 7. I know you might not like me as I'm not as handsome or tall as others, but I just want you to know my feelings that I've kept to myself for 10 years now. I'm not asking you to like me but I just have to get this off my chest.“ You looked at Jongdae with wide eyes. You had never seen him so serious as you were used to his usual silly side. Chen looked at you with equally wide eyes, almost pleading for you not to reject him in an instant, but you paid no attention to his eyes and you kept replaying the confession in your head. It was so sincere you did not know what was the best thing to do for both sides' emotions and relationships. The thought of you and Chen being together felt somewhat soothing...

 

”_____, you're blushing!“ Without knowing, your face had involuntarily turned to the colour of beetroot. ”Does that mean you like me too?“

 

 

 

 

 

Hi! Thanks for reading this oneshot (I think it's a oneshot, or is it a scenario or imagine idk) Please vote and comment, constructive criticism would be great! I have also posted this on Wattpad.

I do not own Chen as much as I want to, but the story is original, and anything similar is purely coincidental. Please do not plagiarise.

Thank you! :D - Buttercuptoffee