最後 

Behind the Strings (SESTAL FANFIC)

Jung Soojung aka Krystal. When she was a child, she often went to the carnival with her father and sister, Jung Sooyeon who is known by the name, Jessica.
 

The last time she went to that carnival was when she was 10. It was her papa's birthday gift for her so he could be with her for the last time. And of course, with Jessica, too. Ever since their father passed away, they couldn't bring themselves anymore to that carnival; where their happiness was held.

At the age of 22, Krystal has already graduated college. She has decided to go to that specific carnival where they used to go, as a celebration for herself. And to visit her dearest father, too.

It has been a very long time she hasn't talked to her father at all. Considering the fact that she was showering herself with works in college. Although the main reason was, she couldn't accept the death of her papa. Years after, she already did. Hence visiting that particular carnival, their beloved spot since they've moved to Korea.

"It's nice being with you again, papa." Her thin lips curved up into a sweet smile, as to herself. It was nostalgic. Albeit a lot has changed; their performances, the games, the rides, scare houses, faces... Everything has become too foreign. She knows she's the one to blame, why she didn't even see the carnival change before her eyes. She was too afraid. Was.

Spotting a small booth, it was where they would usually go first. "For one, please." The guy at the counter, who has a sly smile etched on his face gave her a giddy nod. Krystal thanked the guy as he handed her five small hoops, that she needs to throw at least three hoops on the dolls for her to achieve one teddy bear.

It wasn't that easy. But she managed to do three. Thus obtaining a teddy that was about half big as her. She was glad for it. "Papa! See this? I totally beat you!" She beamed, showing it to her non-concrete papa whileswaying the teddy bear.

Everything went smoothly, until the sun has set and day turned to dusk. She was about to go. But she stumbled upon a sign that says, "Behind The Strings! A one man show featuring the great Reo!" in fancy fonts. She was captured, alright.

She followed where the sign board is pointed at; to the east. It wasn't really hard to find. With all the lights dancing even outside, she was so sure that is the one. She took a good look at the time schedule to know if she still could make it, fortunately, she still could. So she went in with no hesitations.

Her eyes lingered around the theater room to find almost every seats occupied. She wandered on the isles to see one available seat on the third row. 'Not too far nor too close. That's good.' She was fine with the thought and immediately went to that spot.

As soon as she sat, all the lights turned off. Signaling that the show was about to start. Spotlights started dancing around, radiating from above to the ground in rays. Were they waiting for her? She was baffled. Nevertheless, she focused on the mc that magically appeared in front of the closed curtains.

Krystal felt her spine tingling from the vibe the MC has. A smile etched on the MC's face was rather unpleasant. It was wicked, "A pleasant evening to everyone, mesdames et messieurs!" even his voice sounds absolutely weird, filled with excitement, also a tinge of something she couldn't put a finger on.

"I know some of you have already watched Reo and his wonderful acts. I must say, you guys have such mental strength to watch his performance once again!" The MC let out a short chuckle in which everyone chuckled along, excluding her, rather.

"Without further ado, I present you, Reo!" The curtains were slowly pulled up, revealing a guy who seems in his early twenties, stood firmly. He has a pale, smooth skin, well built body, height around 180 cm, strong features such as sharp jawline and his mushroom like brunette hair that seems to oppose from his manly vibe.

"Hi everyone!" He beamed and flashed them a smile that makes his eyes smile, too. "I'm Reo, as what as the MC said. I'll be performing 'Behind The Strings' for everyone. A new piece made by me. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I enjoy acting in front of everyone else!"

It was about Reo who was being controlled by his parents, and how they manipulate him to do their wills, leaving nothing for him. He was struggling, of course. But in the end, he have decided to cut off the strings, his parents have tied him. And started living the best he could by fulfilling his dreams, doing what he likes, making himself happy.

They tried to get him back but they know the couldn't. He won't just let them. He fell in love with his passion, and ought to never let go of it. In the end, they got separated, but the played protagonist was eternally grateful.

Reo bowed and everyone clapped. Some even cheered, which made Reo smile. She was moved by his work. She never though his act would totally captivate her. It was one of a kind, yet she won't complain. She likes it after all.

That was the last she went to that carnival.

 


 

Her schedule has gotten hectic due to her work. Still, she managed to propose a three-days off as a birthday vacation. And she thought it would be great if she starts off with that carnival. To see Reo's divine work. She couldn't forget the way he delivered the words and how he acted the specific emotion, it was too much for her to handle. She was overwhelmed by him.

At the end of his performance, she decided to go to him. Neither she knows why. Maybe she just wanted to talk to the guy that made her day well.

"Hi, Reo! I reaaaaally like your works. Although it's just my second time watching you, I couldn't get enough of it." She giggled and Reo's lips curved up into a subtle smile. "I'm Soojung. But you can call me Krystal. It's my birthday today and I just hope we could become friends? As a gift!" Reo held out his hand to the amiable lady as a response. Krystal smiled brightly and shook his hand. "Cool. I'm Sehun. Although I'm not supposed to say that." He really wasn't supposed to. He was supposed to forget his name. "And happy birthday to you, Krystal. May I take the initiative to celebrate it with you?" She nodded in response as the smile never left her face.

Her day went so well. Sehun and Krystal had to bid goodbye to each other. Krystal had ask if she could have his number but the lad's reply totally shook her, "I don't have enough money to buy phones." So maybe, a bit of money she have saved to be spent wouldn't hurt.

"Thank you, like, a lot." Sehun flashed her a genuine smile that didn't really feel genuine for her. Nevertheless, she was glad she could help the guy. "It's nothing, really! Now I could have your number." Followed by a soft chuckle, "Oh." Sehun was flustered, he didn't knew what to say.

Days, weeks and months passed. They've become closer. Sehun is even playing pranks on her. Who could've thought that a guy with an aloof aura could be this so... charming? She wasn't falling. There's just something odd- absolutely odd about Sehun that she couldn't put a finger on. Maybe it's just her thoughts playing on her. So she just shrugs it off.

 


 

One fine day, at work. She was just casually conversing with her friends who fortunately have the same break time as her. In the midst of their conversation, one just had to bring Sehun up. It was none other than Luna. "Guys.. hmmm." Four of them diverted their attention to Krystal, who surely is reluctant on about what she'll ask. And it made the curiosity rose from them, of course. "What is it, Krys?" With furrowed eyebrows and pressed lips, she hummed.

"Don't you think Sehun is a bit... peculiar?" Amber was the first one to nudge Krystal on her side, "I see someone's found her prince charming!" The three followed Amber and cheered for Krystal, who's now slightly embarrassed by her friends' tomfoolery. "Of course... not. Duh, guys. Duh." She rolled her eyes, a bit irked. And that made them shut up completely, turning serious in a blink of an eye. "Okay, okay. Tell us." It was Victoria who spoke, beckoning for her to go on.

"Okay." She inhaled deeply, "I mean, don't you feel this odd vibe when you're around him? Like really?" The four shook their heads. "So it's just me?" Amber put an arm on Krystal's shoulders, "Maybe your anxiety is just triggered whenever your around him? Does he remind you of someone?" It was Krystal's turn to shook her head this time. "No, not at all. Sehun is completely different from everyone I've met. It's like he's controlled...."

All of them seemed like they were suppressing their chuckles. "Krystal, you just can't move on from his play you first watched, okay? Sehun seems fine. Don't think too much." She tried convincing herself so hard. "Okay, thank you." As if on cue, it's already time for them to go back to work. She failed.

 


 

"Sehun... what are you, really?" Krystal was holding the phone onto her ear, as she kicks the air. "What do you mean, Krys?" Sehun asked on the other line. "I'm curious. You feel different."

"I get it. You have a hidden desire on me don't you?" Sehun playfully asked, a buoyant laugh could be heard on the other line. "Quit it, Hun. I don't, okay? Besides, I'm too fab for you." Sehun cleared his throat, disagreeing with Krystal's retort. "Stay away from me, Soojung." And there, he hang up. There was something in his voice. Though she couldn't fathom what it was, it still made her a nervous wreck. It was eerily foreboding, filled with terror.

 


 

After what happened, Sehun didn't come to Krystal's place anymore. He never responded to any of her texts, even blocking her number when she actually has the authority to cut his phone's line. But he never bothered if it happens anyway. Now that she noticed, she never had the chance to go to Sehun's place. It was always hers. There will be time she'll force him to accept her at his place but he deadpans it every time. All of it seems connected. But what could it be?

She couldn't take it anymore. She needs answers. At the end of his performance, he ushered her to his dressing room. Panic-stricken written all over his face. "I told you to stay away from me, Soojung. After this, forget me in y-your life." He urgently said, though he stuttered a bit. He fished out the phone in his pocket and gently places it on Krystal's palm. "T-thank you. I mean it."

Krystal noticed how his expression changes from something to another. It's making her baffled. He's been acting weird lately. Not the usual weird. But weirder. Sehun cupped her cheeks and looked at her tenderly. It was the first time Krystal felt his touch so surreal, specially the way how he gazed deeply in her orbs. "Forget me." As if time stopped, Sehun planted a passionate kiss on Krystal's cherry colored, plump and thin lips. It was both their first time to feel something they haven't for years.

As much as Sehun doesn't want to pull out, he needs to. "I'm not Sehun. Everything was a lie. It was nice to know you." He then, left her alone, dumbfounded.

 


 

"No! I wouldn't give up on Sehun! I see something- No! Someone, in him!"

"And now she's gone completely bonkers. Hah! Who would've thought that the most decent girl in our troupe would be the first one to go cuckoo? Definitely not me." Amber and Luna gave each other a high five while Krystal was still being frantic on what happened that day. "No! I'm serious. He said he wasn't Sehun. That I should forget him. Like, what is he trying to say?!" She was beyond furious, but none of her friends seem to understand what she meant. "What a perfect couple! Both bonkers!" It was evident that Victoria felt a big regretful seeing Krystal walk out in the midst of their teasing. It was not like her at all.

"It seems like she was saying the real thing." Sulli stated. "Nah, let her be alone. She's just broken because Sehun doesn't like her back." The oldest rolled her eyes at Amber's immature acts. "Ignorance isn't always a bliss, Amber."

 


 

"Sehun... you're here." Krystal felt a pang of relief overwhelm her. "Sehun...?" She walked toward nearer the glass wall and waved her hand in front of his face. "Yah." She tapped the glass wall gently three times, making sure Sehun is awake. But no responses were made. And the only thing could be seen was his dull eyes, boring in her mind and soul.

Krystal heard footsteps toward their room, but she didn't mind. She was too engrossed on scrutinizing Sehun's facade. "I suppose you're his friend?" A voice resonated behind her. She spun around and immediately bowed, it certainly snapped her back to reality. "I'm really sorry, madame. I'm just really worried for Sehun– R-Reo. I-I mean R-Reo..." The woman looked like she hasn't aged at all, cold piercing gaze, smooth skin... no wrinkles at all. She was too beautiful. Krystal felt something crept up within her. Before she black out, a wicked smirk has curved up on the mysterious woman's cheschire shape lips. "Don't worry, Soojung. Your secret will be safe with me."

 


 

Krystal woke up with rigid breathing. Her eyes wandered around the room she's in. It wasn't her room at all, nor Jessica's. She later realized it's where she found Sehun. Now that she has gotten a better look of the place, it looks like a doll house. Each that has their own cases for resting, and where she is right now is hers.

'No! It can't be!' As much as she wanted to move, she knows she couldn't. She's not sure of the reason why, but it all made sense if she's right. And just in time, the terrifyingly beautiful woman came back, both hands behind her back while wearing a wicked smile.

"Because of you! Because of you... Sehun is slowly coming back to his senses. He told me to spare you. But what could I do? You were too hard headed. Didn't you realize? You were right after all. Sehun here," Sehun walked toward her with a stoic expression. Soojung could see his eyes were back to dull. Now, she understands why. Because she's become like him now.

"Wasn't suppose to be back!" The woman d on Sehun's shoulder tightly, and Soojung could sense him wincing a bit. "It was all because of you! You've ruined my plan! But that won't stop me. See? A match made in heaven." She laughed maniacally, it was in a high pitched voice that could seem to break glasswares. Shockingly, it didn't.

She was infuriated. She wanted to scream. "Oh, I'm sorry dear. What do you want to say?" Just within those words, Krystal was able to speak. Just how powerful could this woman be? "I'll make you pay." The woman was laughing madly again, "oh, dear! I didn't know you're great at joking. I've never laughed this hard before!" Krystal pounded on the glass wall in front of her vigorously as she could. "I'll make you pay!" She shouted at the top of her lungs. Sehun seems to have heard it. And because the woman was too busy laughing, Sehun looked at Krystal with a pained expression. He knew there's no way out. "You've made the best mistake you could ever do." With a smirk, Krystal leaned on her coffin-like wall. The woman shook her head while chuckling before turning Krystal paralyzed once again.

'I'm sorry, Sehun. I'll save you. I promise. I'll find a way. I won't let you be her puppet for eternity.'