The Realization

License To Kill
The Realization
It seemed the moment Leo had recovered his facalties, he was running about at full speed once again.

You were in the office, working on paperwork that was due by the end of the day when you noticed a tall figure walk into your peripheral vision. Glancing up, the first thing you observed was him in his formal uniform.

"Let me guess. You have a mission?" you asked, returning your gaze back to the papers in front of you.

"Mm." the dark haired man made a throaty sound indicating you were correct. You both do not mention how he was barely fully recovered.

"How long will you be gone?" you do not know why you are asking such a question but you convince yourself yet again that it had to do with how your work life was going to be affected.

"I'm not sure." Leo answered nonchalantly and he suddenly got the feeling that the way he was standing in front of your desk made him feel as though you were the Captain, not he.

"I see." you responded, not sure what exactly you were seeing. "Do you need backup?" you asked, knowing full well you meant yourself.

Leo shook his head. "The mission only calls for the six of us." he replied and before you could answer, he went into his larger office to pack whatever intelligence he needed.

"You're leaving now?" you questioned as soon as you saw him approach him from his office. You did not think their departure would be so soon.

He nodded his head. "It's fairly routine but it's urgent. We cannot wait." is all he said and you swore his voice sounded an octave lower.

"Of course." you replied, your hands stalling their work.

"You don't need to be present. I know you're busy." Leo commented, his eyes focused on the pile of files on your desk.

You agreed and looked down at your work when Leo turned to walk out of the door. When he pauses and stopped to look over his shoulder at you, your head whipped up and waited for him to speak.

"When I get back, your lazy boss will takeover again." he joked lightly, referring to your banter when he was sick.

Your laugh came in a form of a huff. No matter how hard you forced yourself, the goodbye you wanted to tell him would not come. You stop trying when the door closes behind him.


Having to go from seeing your boss nearly every hour of every day with very little exception to suddenly not seeing or hearing anything from him, proved to be more difficult than you had initially thought. Your work load was just as heavy when he was sick and out of commission, but you could feel his absence. You were in trouble.

It was in the way you would find yourself making your way to his quarters only to remember upon knocking that he was not there. It was in the way you would look to him for confirmation when it was your turn to train your group of girls, only to find an empty space where he would be. It was in the way you would subconsciously order breakfast, lunch and dinner for two, only for the older ladies to remind you that Leo was away. 

"I've gotten so used it. I'm not used to carrying so little food anymore." you would laughingly respond like clockwork every time.

It was on one of these ocassions that your friends, who were all the second in commands to the rest of the VIXX members, called you over.

You all make small talk, excitedly sharing stories of everything that happened over the past few weeks. You had seen the other five much less than they saw each other, thanks to your sick boss and your overwhelming workload.

"You miss him." Sunny chirped brightly. Was this really 'Tease (F/n) Day'?

You roll your eyes, taking a sip of your drink. "I don't." you replied firmly, crossing your arms.

"Oh come on (F/n)." Chaeryong, N's second-in-command and oldest among all of you, gave you a disapproving look. "We all miss them. It's only natural. We work beside them for hours on end, day in day out. It doesn't take that much for a relationship -professional and personal- to form."

All five girls at the table, readily agreed, nodding their heads for emphasis. 

Hyejoo pouted. "I miss composing music with Ravi. I at it but it was fun."

Sunny agreed. Her bright demeanour seeming to have taken a punch as she leaned her chin on her fist. "Ken and I used to see who could draw the cutest character. It's not as fun on my own."

"Bin and I watch those cheesy dramas that air on a weeknight and make fun of the couples. I'm waiting to watch the next episodes when he comes back." Jinyoung, Hongbin's right hand, answered; a fond smile on her features.

"Hyukkie and I play pranks on each other. Now the office is so boring~" Seohyun, the youngest of the group, showed her age as she groaned at how bored she was. It was funny, considering she seemed lightyears more mature when she was with her boss.

"N and I do candle making sometimes. Not that we have much time thanks to you guys." Chaeryong fondly dissed you all. It was kind of cute at how seriously she took her job. She reminded you of your General, if you thought about it.

"Well for your sake, I hope they won't be gone for much longer." you give a friendly smile before dismissing yourself, citing the pile of work that constantly plagued your desk.

On your way back to your office, you wondered what on earth you could miss him for. Compared to the stories you heard from your friends, what did you miss? Banter than was sometimes more poking each other to the point of irritation and efficient work? 

And even if you did miss him - which you did not thank you very much- it was not as simple as your friends said. It was complicated. Admitting to missing him, would only prove how deeply in trouble you were.


You only realize how true that statement rang when you received word they would be back by lunch a few days later.

Due to your status, you found yourself standing beside your friends right in front of the dock, as you waited for their ship to come in.

"Mom must be happy Dad's back." you heard a young girl snigger to hear friend jokingly.

"Right?!" she whispered, replying to the tease in like. "She's be totally distracted lately." you noted the way she stressed her syllables typical of youth today.

You smirked to yourself as you remembered the way you earned that nickname among your juniors, especially within your own group.

Two Months Ago:
The basketball court was filled in six sections, representing each VIXX member's team. You and Leo were standing in front of your own group's section that was organized from youngest in front and oldest at the back. Currently you were explaining how the game was going to work when a frantic girl ran up to the both of you. 

It was a girl from your own group.

"Dahae, what's wrong?" you asked calmly, your boss and yourself facing the crying girl, alarmed. Fights happened often as the base was comprised of mostly females but it still it served to unnerve you.

"Minsok stole my cellphone and then when I confronted her she hit me!" Dahae replied, wiping her red eyes as she told you of the spat between her and her roommate.

You inadvertantly shared a look with Leo, both of your brows creasing in confusion. No doubt Dahae was telling the truth, body language was your specialty, but it did not sound like Minsok. The teenager was strong yet she was naturally timid and quiet. Something must be wrong, you both thought.

"Where's Minsok now?" Leo questioned with a sigh. These fights always drained him.

Before the girl could answer, Minsok walked in, her eyes glued to the floor and making herself seem as small as possible she walked over to you and Leo.

"Minsok, what happened?" you asked, maintaining your calm facade. Outright accusing someone was the least effective way of getting down to the bottom of things.

Not even venturing a look into your eyes, the mousy girl replied, tears and all. "I d-didnt m-mean to! I missed m-my family but my p-phone b-broke the other day. I-I was gonna g-give it back I p-promise!"

Seeming as if it was all to much, the teenager immediately launched herself at Leo and wrapped her arms around his waist. You supposed it had taken a lot from her to stand at the center of attention like that. Especially since you noticed that although everyone was still talking, their eyes were focused on you four. You also were not surprised she went to Leo instead of you. Apparently, you seemed to give off a bit of a stern vibe to your juniors but that did not matter.

Sob stories generally did not get to you anymore but you felt...sad when Minsok was telling you what happened. 

"Why didn't you say anything? You do understand you are under our care while you train here right?" Leo asked, now awkwardly patting the crying girl's back.

"You always said we must be strong; that showing emotion is weakness." the young girl looked at you and you felt a stab in your chest.

You sighed, closing the distance between you and the hugging pair. In a rare display of affection, she had grown on you, you reached out and her a hair a few times.

"I meant in the field. It's imperitive for your own safety to follow that rule but outside of training, I understand. You're young, and it's probably your first time away from your family. I won't judge you." you cooly replied. Is that how people saw you? Heartless? Cold?

When you look into Leo's eyes, there was something unreadable within them and the man looks away to clear his throat.

"You can take the boat to the city with Dahae tomorrow to purchase a new one." Leo said, looking down at the sniffling girl who had still not let go. You knew he did this because one of the most important lessons in the special forces VIXX was that cohesion and togetherness created a stronger unit.

"Can you guys come with?" Dahae asked, now looking embarrassed at the entire situation that transpired.

You and your boss share another wordless conversation before turning and simultaneously agreeing.

What you were not prepared for was two pairs of arms wrapping around you. "Thank you (F/n) and Captain Jung!" Dahae and Minsok thanked formally before hugging you tightly.

Leo sent you an amused smile before addressing the entire basketball court that watched the entire exchange with starry eyes. 

"Let's get back to work!" he announced, looking at his other members for help, who now took to mouthing words that .

Your train of thought was interrupted by loud cheers and when you looked up, you were surprised to find their boat had already been docked and now the six members were exiting onto the harbour.

You try to ignore the way your eyes look around frantically for the man who had been occupying your thoughts far more than was appropriate by any stretch of the imagination.

You half listen to the impromptu speech N and some of the members had given, all you knew was that it had something to do with how well their mission had gone and how pleased they were to be back.

Your eyes were still searching until you heard a voice speak. "I'm fine." Leo commented, amusement evident in his voice as he appeared before you like you had summoned him like a goblin. He pointed his hands toward his body as if to backup his words.

You find yourself silent for longer than was considered normal as you quietly regarded the man in front of you despite the noise. You felt your heart racing at a strange pace and you felt the urge to do something that did not come natural to you. You wanted to hug him. In that moment you could no longer deny that you missed him. 

You rolled your eyes when you finally got your body to obey your commands. "I didn't ask." you scoffed, sparing a glance at the looks you were receiving from those around you.

You two begin to walk back to the building, leaving the commotion behind you. 

"You didn't have to." Leo quietly replied. "If it makes you feel better, it's good to see you're fine too." he said and you felt uncomfortable. Too much was happening too quickly and for once during a mission you wished you had a manual that would guide you through the unexpected emotions that were coursing through your veins.

A comfortable silence settled between you two before your stomach decided at that moment to growl from hunger. It had been two weeks since he had been away and not once did you feel hungry and now it happens? You burned with embarassement.

"I'm guessing you didn't have lunch?" your boss' laughter rang out as he teased you. "Let's go to the cafeteria before everyone comes okay?" he looked at you before taking you by your arm and picking up his speed before you could object.


It had been days since VIXX had returned and the realization that hit you on the docks had yet to disapate. It plagued you day and night. You were in more trouble than you ever suspected. You did not know what to do. You needed someone to talk to. Someone who knew the entire situation. But that was not possible at the moment. You could not take the risk and call your headquarters. It looked like you would have to suffer in silence at this point.

As that thought appeared you became aware of someone calling your name.

"(L/n)!" it was Leo. He stood in front of your desk, seemingly quite aggitated with you. You have never seen him that way. Ever.

"Yes?" you quickly replied, startled when your boss slammed a rather thick folder on your desk.

"Have you read this?" he asked simply.

Your eyebrows furrowed. "Yes. How else was I supposed to compile the report?" 

"Your report is useless. The amount of mistakes you made will take too much time to correct. It needs to be redone." Leo scolded, his eyes fiery with irritation.

Whatever was written on your face made him sigh and grip the bridge of his nose. When he looked at you again, his eyes had softened considerably. 

"It's not entirely your fault I suppose. You have been taking on both my work and yours without a break. I shouldn't be suprised." he stated, almost as if he were talking to himself.

"Captain. It was irresponsible of me, I'll-" you responded, your voice firm but as you tried to object you found yourself interrupted.

"No. You'll do nothing. In a few days the VIXX members will be going to the city for some work. You and the other girls will come with. You can have the day off then. Right now, go back to your quarters. Take a walk around. Train, it doesn't matter what you do, I don't want to see you here for the rest of the day. Do you understand?" the dark haired man spoke at length and you felt grateful as the fatigue of the past few weeks seemed to finally take its toll on you.

"Thank you." you bowed before you left, noting how montonous your voice sounded. Were you that tired and distracted?

"And (L/n)? The only place I want to see you is at dinner." Leo nonchalantly mentioned the fact as he read through the folder again.

You hate the fact that it made you smile as you made your way to your quarters.
 


A/N: I'm back and I come baring gifts of probably the longest chapter so far. (*cough* 2 698 words*cough*) I've offically given up on trying to finish this story since I'm enjoying writing it and I hope you are too. This chapter was supposed to be even longer but I wanted to space out everything since the next part I have too many ideas that I can't put (unfortunately :() but yes. I couldn't stop myself from putting all these fanservicey bits in, since even I'm just like "this is romance is burning too slowly". If you clicked on my story and wondered about my cover. @My_Type offered to make one for this story and it turned out just the way I wanted. Please do check out her store here if you're an author who needs a story cover. She works fast as is friendly as well. :D