Chapter 2

You're my Star

 

Narrator:

It had been weeks since the crime. Kyujin made her cousin worry by not attending school, skipping meals, not going out of her room and not even speaking. It was hard for her to move on and it was hard for Dongwoo to make her feel comforted.

In the school’s music room, Dongwoo’s band was rehearsing for the school’s music festival and everyone was busy doing their own part. 

“Hwansange ppajin deutan,modeun geol da gajin deutan, meomchwosseum hae I sigan, I wanna get yours be mine. So hot…” Baro practiced his rap for their performance “OK”.

“Aish, jinjja! Why can’t I get it right?” he complained.

“You did it right Baro, only you’remumbling some of the words.” Sandeul said in a polite way.

“You think so?” Baro just sighed. Sandeul nodded surely.

“Oi, leader!!” Gongchan threw a music sheet on Jinyoung’s blank face. “When are we going to rehearse with the instruments? I’m getting excited already!!”

“Mian.” Jinyoung sighed. Finally he got up from his soft chair and went to play to his keyboard.

“Yah, what’s eating him up?” Baro asked Dongwoo who just shrugged. Suddenly, the tune of the keyboard messed up and Jinyoung was pressing them angrily.

“Gaah~!” he scratched his head irritatingly and went out from the room. Dongwoo followed him.

“What’s wrong Jinyoung?”

“I made your cousin angry.” He bit his lips with a worried face. Then sighed again.

“You’re worrying about that?” Dongwoo asked and laughed.

“Get it over with! She probably forgot about that. And besides, it was weeks ago! She was feeling down and maybe it was a bad timing when I tried to let the two of you get to know each other. It was partly my fault, so no need to worry.”

“You sure? I feel I should apologize.” Jinyoung suggested.

“If that’s what you want. But she’ll probably ignore you.” Dongwoo chuckled and headed back to the room.

“Sorry guys if I wasn’t able to practice well.” Jinyoung apologized to his band mates as they were heading out from the school gate.

“Don’t worry about it. But be sure to make it up tomorrow. Okay hyung?” Sandeul gave him an affectionate smile.

“Neh,” Jinyoung responded with a shy smile.

“We’ll get going then.” Baro said with a nod.

“Be careful.” He said.

“Bye hyung!!” Gongchan said. Then, some girls passed by him who was saying goodbyes and giving him excited smiles.

“Annyeong oppa!” they giggled.

“Annyeong! Be careful on your way back!” he said.

“Neh!!” they nodded and turned away shyly. “I hope someone like him will take us home.”

“You’re right. I’m getting nervous every time I go home since the incident.”

“How’s Kyujin doing anyway? I hope she’s starting to move on now.”

“Yeah, she hasn’t been in school in a while and I heard she’s getting stubborn each passing day. It seems like she’s changed a lot. She even hung up the phone when I tried to call her and told me not to contact her for a while. But she sounded rude.”

“I wonder what’s gonna happen between the two of you.” Her friends comforted her as they walked away.

Jinyoung felt more depressed as he heard the girls talking. They were Kyujin’s closest friends and he couldn’t believe Kyujin changed her way of talking even to her friends.

Then, Dongwoo caught up with Jinyoung.

“Jinyoung-ah,”

“Aren’t you going home with Baro?”

“Ani, the homeroom teacher asked me to stay for a bit. It should be about Kyujin.” Dongwoo sounded concerned.

“Oh, okay then.”

“Do me a favour please. Bring this to Kyujin’s house cause I’m sure she’s already waiting for her supper.”

“Supper?”

“Yeah. Since I’m the one assigned to be with her for the week, I just bring home our supper. So please, make sure she eats this before you leave.”

“No problem.” Jinyoung said feeling more depressed. He wanted to ease her pain even just a little bit but knowing that she’s being rude to her friends and she’s eating her supper bought by Dongwoo really made him concerned.

He knew a little bit about Kyujin. Being a secret admirer, he was always successful not to spill his own little secret. He was behind of Kyujin’s joy when she received notes of admiration from her locker. Dongwoo and his other friends didn’t know about any of this.

Jinyoung went to Kyujin’s house and found that it was dark and the windows were shut tightly. The curtains were drawn from top to bottom. It was like it was abandoned. Jinyoung knocked but no one answered.

“Hey kid,” an ahjumma passed by. “If you’re looking for Kyujin, she won’t probably entertain you.”

“Why?” he responded.

“She doesn’t talk to anyone except for her cousin.”

“Oh that’s too bad. But do you know where she is?” he asked.

“I’m not sure. She might be around the shore.” Then, she finally left.

It was already dark when he found Kyujin standing at the edge of the shore.

“Kyujin-ah!” Jinyoung called her and she turned. But when she found that it was him, she ignored him and turned her back again.

“Kyujin-ah, it’s time for your supper. Dongwoo asked me to bring this to you. He’ll probably be late so you—“

“You came all this way to give me that?” she asked without looking at him.

“Yeh, I suppose you’re hungry right now.” Jinyoung stepped a bit closer.

“Just leave it there. I want to be alone.” She said with a sigh.

“It’s getting dark Kyujin.” He said with concern.

“I said just leave.” She tilted her head to shoo him away.

“It’s dangerous out here.” He reached for her hand.

“I said leave me alone!!!” she pushed him away, and Jinyoung dropped the food. Kyujin turned away from him angrily.

“Are you going to be like this forever? Pushing people away? Are you even thinking how worried they are of you?” Jinyoung said.

“Who cares anyway? They probably want me alone since my parents died and they want me in peace. They absolutely don’t want me to interfere their business!” Kyujin started to let out hurtful sobs.

“How would you know that? You’re not even in school.” Jinyoung spoke calmly. “Are you sure they want you away?”

“Your friends,” Jinyoung continued. “They always bother us in the music room to ask Dongwoo how you’re doing. I heard them earlier saying you’ve changed and how much they want you back. Dongwoo couldn’t concentrate practicing; thinking of you that he has to stay late at school. I couldn’t stop thinking you either!!” Jinyoung grabbed her arm to face him.

Kyujin was still crying and looked at him for a long time.

“Who told all of you to think of me? I didn’t. No one did. You’re just wasting your time. Better ignore me for the rest of your lives!” she sobbed even more and tried to escape from his grasp.

“Why are you being like this? Where is the Kyujin who used to be happy like she had no problems? Even though you were hurt, I couldn’t even see a trace of pain in you because your smile covers it all. How come you’re like this?” Jinyoung may have started to cry too but he turned his back.

“Fine, I’ll tell all your friends to forget you. Let’s see how painful they’ll get.” He sighed deeply then left.

Kyujin was feeling hopeless and collapsed on her knees with her hands covered her crying face. She sobbed and sobbed as if she’s trying to pour out her tears until no drop would leave. Afterwards, she dried her eyes, stood up and picked up her food.

“Jinyoung-ah,” she spoke with a cheerful voice, “Babo,” with a chuckle.