Chapter 1

Will I Ever Know?

The sun is always shining brighter in the summer, and the fun, relaxing days are slipping away from your fingertips. All good things come to an end, right? That's what Ara thinks when counting down the days until the summer break ends.

Ara's POV

"Man... one more week until freedom is snatched away from me. No more gaming till the early hours, binge watching anime, and doing whatever I want." Ara dejectedly said, as she crosses the date on her calendar. "Better make the most of this week than moping around." Ara thought. From the position of resting her head on the desk to sitting up-right, she stands up and heads downstairs. 

"Morning umma! She shouted loudly whilst trudging down the stairs. 

"Ah, morning honey! I've made breakfast, come and eat." Her mum replied.

Indeed, on the table was her favourite- waffles with strawberry and whipped cream. Looking scrumptious as ever. Wasting no time, she slipped herself on the nearest chair and chowed on it. 

"Ara, the waffles aren't going anywhere. Eat slowly, will you? At this rate, you're going to choke on it." Her mum lightly scolded her.

"Ufffmma, I won't cho-AACKK!" Ara coughed and spluttered.

"What did I tell you?" Her mum quickly gave her a glass of water, and patted her back to ease her coughing. Ara swiftly took the glass and chugged it down like no tomorrow.

".....yeah, I'll take my time now."

Scooping up and eating her last bit of waffle, she then places the dirty kitchenware in the sink. Just as she was about to turn the tap on, "Ara, I'll be leaving for work now. Love you!" Her mum informed her.

"I got it. Love you too!" She answered back. After finishing her cleaning duty, she skips into the living room. Plopping herself on the cream faux leather sofa, she grabs the remote and turns the T.V on. "Boring. Rubbish. Load of nonsense. Who even watches this?!" as she flicks through the channels. Sighing with boredom, Ara turns the T.V. off and heads to her room.

"What to do, what to do? Am I really going to be cooped in the house on the last week of summer break?" she asks herself. Checking her bedside clock, it read 11.30AM. It has been two hours and thirty minutes since she woke up. "I'll just go out and get some fresh air. At least that's better than doing nothing." she thought. Opening her wooden chester drawers, she contemplates on what to wear. Choosing various tops and bottom, but none are in her favour. In the end, she settles on a pair of black biker jeans, and a white crop top. Finishing off the outfit with a black hooded leather jacket, and black studded high top Converse. She grabs her necessities: phone, earphones, book, and purse, shoves it in her blue galaxy backpack. Taking one last look of her reflection on the mirror, satisfied, she proceeds to leave the house.

Locking her front door, she sticks the key into her front left jean pocket. Taking her phone and earphones out, she scrolls through her music and settles on Style by Taylor Swift. Content with her choice, she starts her journey.

Meanwhile at 9.00AM in Incheon Airport, a flight from Osaka had just touched down.

Yuta's POV

"Thank you for choosing to fly with us. We hope you enjoyed the flight. Have a pleasant stay in Korea." A cabin crew member announced.

"We've arrived? At least I was able to catch some sleep." Yuta tiredly said.

"Yes, we have. Also, good that you slept. I wouldn't want you to be all grouchy. You know what you're like when you don't get sleep." His mum stated matter-of-factly.

Yuta chuckled at the statement. "Hai hai." 

Smiling at her son, "let's go and get our suitcases, hm?

"Yeah."

Amid walking to where the suitcases are situated, he thought about the nostalgic feels of living in Korea when he was a young child. Who knew, after five years of leaving this country, he would come back and live here for good? 

Round and round the suitcases go on the conveyor belt: pink, yellow, green, Hello Kitty, and grey ones. None of the ones that are mentioned belonged to him. Yuta tapped his foot impatiently, while waiting for his red suitcase to appear. He checked the screen to make sure they were at the correct stand. "No doubt, we're at the right one." He thought. Twenty minutes had passed, he finally caught sight of his suitcase. "About time." He grumbled, whilst hauling the heavy item which landed with a thud when it came in contact with the ground. With that, they left to hail a taxi.

Meanwhile, at the taxi stand. "Son?" His mum got his attention.

"What's up?" He wearily said.

"Forget about the past, and start anew in here, okay?" She softly said, while gently holding his face.

"...I'll try." Yuta forced out.

At that moment, she knew she shouldn't press on the matter anymore. "All I want is for you to be happy again, my dear son." she wistfully thought.

Throughtout the ride, neither of them spoke. It wasn't an awkward atmosphere, but rather a comfortable silence. The only talking was from the radio updating the traffic from time to time. Fifty minutes later, they've arrived at their new home. "That'll be 50,000 won, please." His mum handed the exact amount to the driver. Stepping out of the taxi, Yuta recalled the memories he had of this neighbourhood. "It hasn't really changed, huh?" He thought. "Well, here are your suitcases, and have a delightful time in Korea." with that being said, the driver left.

Once they've stepped a foot in the house, his mother announced with outstretched arms, "Here we are. This is our new home from now on."

"Uncle, sure picked a fantastic area for us to live in..." Yuta sarcastically responded.

Ignoring his tone of voice and remark, "He told me there will be two beds; so we can sleep here instead of the hotel. The moving van will come tomorrow morning, most of our belongings will arrive then." She responded. 

"I'll be upstairs. Don't disturb me unless you have something important to tell me." Yuta announced, whilst heading up.


Author's Note: Eeeeeeee! The first chapter is up! I'm so nervous! I hope you readers will...uh...like it? It's far too early to say like or dislike, but anyway, here goes! Until next time!