Something totally simple

너 때문에 [Because of You]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

5 years ago…

A girl slowly opened her eyes and got up, there was something different about her surroundings today. She was on a pretty big bed for a start, with large fluffy white sheets; there was a wall-sized screen next to her sporting the image of a beautiful island and a table with a few computer monitors. The surroundings looked unfamiliar to her yet she was in awe at the amount of technology installed in just one room.

“Let’s see if she’s woken up yet…”

Two men walked up the stairs to find the girl looking around the room in absolute amazement. As she attempted to get out of the bed to look around the room, her eyes slowly fell upon the two figures staring at her and fell back in shock, “W-who are you? I-I mean… you a-are you two—”

“Well who are you?” one of the men asked her.

The girl choked on her words. Before she could respond, something stopped her. She couldn’t remember her name, she didn’t know her name. She started to panic, trying to knock some sense into her brain.

“I-I-I don’t k-know…”

One of the men, who seemed old, walked up to her and kneeled at the side of the bed and her hair.

“Calm down… we won’t hurt you, we won’t bite. My name is Gwangrok, Oh Gwangrok and the tall guy over there is called Changwook.”

Changwook bowed his head slightly and avoided eye-contact with her, she bowed back.

“How did I end up getting here..?”

“We found you wandering in the warehouse— which is where we are right now. You fainted and had an extremely high temperature. Judging by your expressions, I guess you have no idea who you are right now and where and who your family is, am I right?” She nodded her head slightly, still trying to comprehend what was happening to her. “From now on, I will take you in and you will live with us, Hyejin.”

“H-hyejin..? Are you talking to me?” her eyes widened.

“Yes, your name is now Hyejin. Kim Hyejin.”

 

5 years later…

It was early morning, Changwook and Hyejin had both started exercising— well more like sparring.

“Ha you’re dead today!” Hyejin placed a high kick that slightly missed Changwook’s neck.

He instinctively dodged the kick. How does this kid beat up men that are at least a ruler taller than her—

As though she could hear his thoughts, “It’s called…” Hyejin flipped him over, using the momentum to toss him onto the ground. “Skill”. She held him down until he surrendered. But it was then Changwook’s turn to get her back, and he got on top of her. For a moment, they stared into each other’s eyes, unaware of the awkward situation until Changwook broke the silence with a smirk, “Did someone say I was going to die today?” Hyejin scoffed and hit him on the head, he winced in pain.

“EHEM! GET OFF THE CHILD YOU POOPFART!” Mikyung’s voice yelled through the earpiece. Changwook was startled by the sudden voice and quickly got up. “What’s it this time— did you run out of seaweed or did you run out of rice?”

Hyejin chuckled at his response.   

It’s been five years since she came to this warehouse, even though she cannot remember her past at all, she was grateful for the one day her teacher took her in, as a student and as family. During the past few years, under Gwangrok’s guidance, she had been training intensely to join the Healer team which is a business. Clients commissioned them to steal and deliver items, what it’s used for is none of their business. They would accept anything as long as there was no killing involved, they wouldn’t care if it’s right or wrong as it is their courtesy to their clients. So even if they stole something or bugged someone, calling them thieves or buggers is a bit complicated— they’re simply couriers. A few years ago, she had begun to take on missions along with Changwook, working as ‘partners-in-crime’, and it was also the time when Gwangrok had decided to leave them for an island— to watch island women all day. Both Changwook and Hyejin cried their eyes out. As Mikyung described it, they 'cried like babies sniffling pathetically' at night.

Although, she did have a very weird likeing for kimbap, Mikyung was (almost like) a second mother to both of them (even though she’d always insist that she’d be called ‘Ahjumma’). If we thought of Healer as a body, Changwook and Hyejin would be the heart and limbs and Ahjumma would be the brain— so basically they couldn’t function without her. Having worked as a police detective before, Mikyung had extraordinary hacking skills and had the team equipped with highly advanced technology that even the FBI wouldn’t have ever used in all the crime investigations they performed. 

“We’ve been commissioned.”

Both Changwook and Hyejin snapped to attention. “What is it?”

“Something totally simple.”

“When?”

“Now. Right away.”

The duo both scrambled onto their feet to change into their uniforms before becoming sceptical about her description of it being ‘really simple’.

“But, something’s off.” Changwook began as he took off his sleeveless white top. Hyejin noticed from the corner of her eye and rushed off somewhere else to change in embarrassment.

“What is?”

“You always say it’s simple, but it never is. What is this now? ‘It’s totally simple’? That’s totally suspicious than simple.” Hyejin muttered into her earpiece.

“You stole my line.” Changwook said in annoyance. Hyejin shrugged.

“You meet a person, accept something in return, and make a deposit. That’s all there is. How simple is that?” Mikyung retorted back. They got changed into their gear and got moving on the gig.

The hand-off point was in a subway station, as always, Hyejin and Changwook entered their mission site at different areas and times to avoid suspicion. They both kept low profiles as they scoped out the scene.

Changwook noted the security cameras in his sightline, “I see something near the third exit.”

“I see something as well near the fourth exit.” Hyejin whispered in undertone as she lowered h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter