Costumes Are for (Blood)ers

Costumes Are for (Blood)ers
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

It is the thirty-first of October, a day Tzuyu recognizes as a mortal holiday in which human children parade around the town in various costumes and visit the homes of strangers to collect confectionery, toys, trinkets, and the like. Sometimes, these humans even masquerade as Tzuyu's kind, the magnificent vampire race, though these costumes are their own personal interpretations of what vampires would wear - some of which are far from reality and rather cringe-inducing. The tradition of wearing costumes on this so-called Halloween isn't limited to children either as Tzuyu occasionally sees even human adults donning themed attire ranging from mythical figures to everyday household items. Even the entirety of the town itself is included in the festivities of the spooky season as it is also decorated with fake cobwebs, black and orange lights, and dotted with carved pumpkins here and there. It's quite the sight for an unfamiliarized vampire such as Tzuyu to see, that's for certain. After all, she'd been strictly confined to her family's enclosed estate for the majority of her vampire youth, unable to discover and explore the strange human world waiting just outside.

Though she finds this 'Halloween' odd and somewhat meaningless, Tzuyu is undoubtedly curious as to what attracts the humans of her town to this particular experience and what compels them to celebrate said holiday so wholeheartedly. There is no better way to investigate these causes than by immersing herself in fieldwork and finding out for herself. She had prepared her own costume beforehand, resembling that of a human's interpretation of a vampire. (From what she's observed, she can dress up as just about anything, but why would she want to be anything other than herself, the indomitable and revered vampire?) After some light inspection of a particular area and thorough personal consideration, Tzuyu has decided to infiltrate a costume party at a relatively large and lively house occupied by several young adult humans. She believes she'd be able to blend in most easily within this setting, due to her youthful appearance and similar mannerisms.

At exactly nine o'clock in the evening, Tzuyu leaves the Chou estate and sets off for her carefully selected destination with the hopes of finally satisfying her curiosity.

 

 

 

Tzuyu arrives at the doorstep of the chosen house with high expectations (or as high of an expectation one can have for the human race). There were a few dressed humans standing outside on the sidewalk and lawn, giving her directions to the house and telling her to go to the party, which was her intention in the first place. Since the front door to the house is wide open, she easily welcomes herself inside.

As soon as Tzuyu steps inside the house, a girl in a feathered cap, striped suspenders, and blue bowtie greets her right away and hands her a red plastic cup filled with a liquid she can't identify at first glance. "Drink up, there's more where that came from.", the girl tells her generously before disappearing through a horde of rowdy partygoers. The vampire brings the cup of unknown liquid closer to her face and sniffs, immediately deciding thereafter that she is not going to ingest any of this, whatever it may be. She sets the cup down on a nearby table and someone walking by snatches it up as soon as she withdraws her hand away from it. She wasn't planning on doing any more with it anyway. 

She forces her way through the small crowds of blabbering, reeking humans, only to be disappointed by what she finds - or rather, doesn't find. Unbothered by the other clearly intoxicated guests, Tzuyu stands in the midst of numerous costumed humans, trying to hear herself think over the obnoxiously loud music blaring through the speakers. She quickly scans over her new environment, feeling both underwhelmed and somewhat annoyed.

This is it? This is the Halloween costume party in which many humans choose to spend their thirty-first of October? What else is there to enjoy here, aside from participating in a game involving the removal of clothing, consuming copious amounts of cheap alcohol, or engaging in frisky behavior with an overly enthusiastic stranger - none of which she'd like to partake in? Is this all there really is to it? She sighs in discontent and turns on her heel in preparation of leaving, but she feels a tap on her shoulder once she takes a step towards the door. She glances over her shoulder to see a short-haired brunette peering up at her.

"Hi. Nice costume. You went all out, didn't you?" Tzuyu offers the girl a slight nod of acknowledgement, forgetting her manners for a brief moment. At once she notices the other girl's much less decorative costume, a more casual and simpler ensemble of which she could not correspond to any particular concept. Perhaps it is a character much too specific for her limited personal knowledge? "I don't think I've seen you around the university before. There's no way I can miss a face like yours. Freshman?"

"Yes." Tzuyu simply accepts the suggestion, knowing it would at least provide a sufficient response for something she wouldn't otherwise be able to explain.

The girl extends a welcoming hand toward Tzuyu and finally introduces herself: "I'm Nayeon, and you are...?"

"Chou Tzuyu." The vampire answers as she takes Nayeon's hand for a customary greeting handshake. There's something about Nayeon overall that strikes her odd, but she can't seem to determine what it is, exactly. It disturbs her even more than anything else she's witnessed upon her arrival to the costume party, and there was quite a bit she'd seen, some of which included a seemingly elegant snow queen threatening to 'pop someone's head off' if they didn't fetch her the vanilla ice cream she demanded. Even as a creature of the night as herself, Tzuyu could sense this human's naturally commandeering presence.

"Okay Tzuyu, nice to meet you! I don't know if you're just shy or something but you're really working that...vampire vibe..." Nayeon waves a hand in front of Tzuyu's unresponsive face. "Tzuyu?"

Tzuyu stares blankly at Nayeon in an undisguised attempt to discern what was so peculiar about her. She eventually reaches a reasonable conclusion within an instant as she takes in the other girl's appearance as a whole. The answer was in front of her the entire time. Her eyes narrow dangerously as Nayeon's eyebrows shoot upwards. "This is a costume party, is it not? Why aren't you wearing a costume?"

"Oh, me? Personally, I'm not into the whole costume thing..." She leans a bit closer to Tzuyu so only the two of them could hear what she's about to say. "I actually think it's kind of childish, no offense to you or anyone else wearing a costume. It's just my opinion." Just her opinion, she says, but Tzuyu already feels absolutely ridiculous. She didn't think humans could find their own costume tradition ridiculous, but she just met a human who thinks of it this way. That means there naturally must be more humans who share her opinion, more humans who would find her costume ridiculous and 'childish'. Her, Tzuyu of the highly respected Chou clan, in a costume ridiculed by humans. She'd blush beet-red in embarrassment if she could. "Though I have to say, this regular costume party is a way better idea than that ABC party Momo originally wanted to throw."

Nayeon's voice snaps Tzuyu out of her ruminations. "ABC?"

"Anything But Clothes." Tzuyu doesn't like the sound of that, and she expresses this through the crinkle between her impeccable brows. "It can get...pretty intense. And creative, of course. Anyway, that doesn't matter now. What are you up to? Looking for a good time? Dancing your heart out? Drinking away your sorrows?"

"I was meaning to leave before you began speaking to me - "

"Nonsense!" Nayeon cuts in, waving her hand around as if she were dismissing the idea of leaving altogether. She almost looks offended. She wraps an arm around Tzuyu's waist lightly, gently guiding her along as they walk deeper into the depths of the house. "The party's just getting started! You're new, right? Let me introduce you to some of my friends here!"

 Tzuyu finds herself unable to refuse - not that there is any reason to, anyway.

 

<
Please log in to read the full chapter