Can She Come Over?

Challenge Accepted - Peniel

As your lecture wrapped up, you pulled out your phone and tapped the new, unread message.

I would love that! I could use a gaming weekend :) When do you have time to come over? - P

Thinking a moment, you checked the schedule on your phone before you began to type back.

I can come over Saturday afternoon and have a fun night of video games and pizza if that works for you?

Feeling the vibration against his leg while he walked, he slipped his hand into his pocket and pulled his phone out of his pocket, slightly dreading to see who it was. While pulling out his phone, his phone vibrated again as he saw the screen dim from the incoming message. Lighting up his phone, he unlocked it as his feet slowed while trying to move across campus. Tapping his two new messages, he couldn’t help himself but smile as he saw your message before his smile faded seeing Jenny’s, his girlfriend’s, message. 

It is totally okay if you don’t or can’t come over this weekend, I just thought I would offer…

Your message churned in his mind, it being so tempting yet the fear of his girlfriend held him back from instantly accepting your offer. Tapping the back button, he switched conversations to see what Jenny had to say.

I was thinking about this weekend and I thought it would be nice if we went shopping, I could use some new dresses - J

Groaning under his breath, he lifted his free hand up to his face and rubbed his hand over his eyes as he knew he didn’t want to hang out with her hours on end, sitting outside of the changing room while she talked to herself. Then when she finally did come out, he would be asked what he thought, speaking his mind he would find that his opinion wouldn’t matter and she would disappear back into the changing room for what would feel like a few more hours.

I have other plans this weekend

Peniel sent back as he chose to take a stand against her. Taking a deep breath, he slipped his phone back into his pocket as his eyes watched the people that passed him across campus. Giving his thoughts some time to clear, he slowly walked back to his dorm, with the warm sun kissing his exposed skin and his hands slipped in his pockets, his mind went blank letting his heart answer the questions that his mind couldn’t answer. 

Pushing the door open to his dorm, he slipped his shoes off and shuffled across the carpet as he turned his head to peer into the living room to see his roommate playing video games. Comfortably lounging in a banana chair, his roommate moved his hands conjoined with the controller as he tried to move between the cars that he was racing against. 

Setting his backpack against the back of the couch, Peniel moved into the kitchen and grabbed some crackers. Heading back over to the living room, he fell back onto the couch.

“Hey dude!” His roommate called while he was concentrating on trying to win the race.

“What’s up, man?” Peniel questioned slipping a cracker between his lips and munching happily.

“Nothing much, just hanging out all today. What about you?” His roommate questioned as he crossed the finish line and turned around to make eye contact with Peniel.

“All done with classes for today… just mulling over some things is all” Peniel met eyes with his roommate before letting his head rest on the arm of the couch, his eyes now gazing at the ceiling.

“What are you doing this weekend?” His roommate quickly asked as Peniel’s heart dropped, knowing he had to make a choice sooner or later.

“That was actually something I wanted to talk to you about…” Peniel began as he rolled his head back over to roommate.

“Shoot” His roommate called while switching out disks from the racing game to a war tactical game.

“Do you mind if I bring over a girl this weekend?” Peniel questioned as his roommate turned around, his eyes slightly glaring.

“Which girl?” He probed, careful of his words as Peniel’s answer would determine his feelings towards the idea.

“She has been a friend of mine for months, she has a new game and wanted to come over and play it with me.” Peniel explained

“Oh good!” His roommate happily sighed, “I thought you were going to have Jenny over. Then I was going to be happy that I was leaving for the weekend.”

“Why do you say that? She is my… girlfriend” Peniel replied with a little hesitation when it came to the last word, while a sickening feeling settled in the pit of his stomach telling him that it wasn’t right.

“Dude, she pushes you around! You can never get a word in with her. She always gets what she wants. Have you even done anything that you wanted to? Have you ever had that feeling that if you didn’t hold her hand or kiss her in that very moment that your heart would explode?” His roommate questioned seriously letting the game load while taking his seat back in his banana chair.

With the questions securing his answer in his heart and mind, Peniel nodded, “You’re right”

“So… this new girl, does she have a name?” His roommate questioned as Peniel slipped another cracker between his lips.

“_________” Peniel smiled as your name rolled off his tongue.

Watching his roommate play his game for a little while, he pulled his phone out of his pocket and tapped your name, seeing at least twenty texts from Jenny that he chose to ignore.

What time would you like to come over? I have all day that I am free - P

Going back to all of the conversations that were stored in his phone, he tapped on Jenny’s messages and skimmed over them before he took a deep breath and positioned his thumbs to reply to her. 

We need to talk… - P