Chapter 1

Learn To Let Go ~ [One Shot]

Chapter 1

The day he left was January 24th of 2004... I was 20 and madly in love with him. So madly in love with him that I would give up everything and anything for him. I just wanted to live a long and full life with him, just wanted him to be happy. Things were going as planned until he told me he was leaving to America to study abroad. I wouldn't have let him go, but he told me that he didn't love me anymore. I wanted him to be happy. So, if he wanted to be happy without me, then I'd let him go...

It's been 5 years. He told me not to wait for him... but, like a fool I did. I waited and waited. Just for a phone call, just for a postcard. But one never came... I never heard his voice again, except in my dreams... I never saw his face again, except for the pictures that once hung on the wall... I never held him again, except for when I remembered the past... If there wasn't the pictures, the dreams, the memories, and the tears, it seemed like an Aaron Yan Ya Lun never even existed in my life...

3 years went by... nothing. During those 3 years, I was a mess... I hardly slept, I hardly ate, I hardly ever laughed. Slowly my friends and my family drifted away... Slowly, there became nothing left of my life.

Until... I met Wang Zi.

Flashback~
I was just sitting there, on the park bench, when he approached me.
"You look like you could use a smile..." he smiled at me.
I just stared at him and gave him the best fake smile I could manage.
"...and maybe some sleep too...!" he laughed.
"Is there something you want?" I asked; more like hissed.
"Yes... I want to change your life," he smiled.
End of Flashback~

For some odd reason, I let him buy me coffee... For some reason unknown, I listened to his stories, I laughed at his jokes, and then sooner than I knew... 1 cup of coffee became 2 cups, then 3, then 4... and then finally somehow the next thing I knew he was calling me.
I started to get more sleep, I started to eat more. And after a very long time, I started to laugh and smile. My friends and family started to call, they started to come and hang out... and my life started piecing back together.

But, I was never in love with Wang Zi. Like a fool I was still in love with Aaron. So, the day Wang Zi asked me to be his girlfriend, sent me to shock.

Flashback~
"Gui Gui, I've liked you since they day I met you in the park..."
"..."
"Will you be my girlfriend?"
"...."
"Gui Gui?"
"...."
"At least answer me... Do you even like me?"
"I-I..."
"Just tell me."
"No. I don't like you that way."
"Oh... I-"
"Let me finish. Did I ever tell you about Aaron?"
"No, not really..."
"Maybe I should tell you now... Aaron, was my boyfriend. I was madly and deeply in love with him, and I thought he was in love with me too... We were supposed to get married. But then, one day he tells me that he is leaving to study in America. And that he didn't love me anymore."
"Is he the reason why you were-"
"Yeah."
"Oh. But what does Aaron have to do with us being together? Has he come back?"
"No... And he never will... But, I'm still in love with him..."
"You're what?"
"I know, I am stupid! Wang Zi, you can hate me, you can never talk to me again if that's what you want... I'm so sorry."
"No... It's okay. I-I will get used to it."
"What do you mean?"
"If you don't love me like that, than that's fine. I'm not going to force you... But just let me stay in your life."
"I never wanted you out of my life!"
"Good! Than let me be in forever... as your best friend, as everything you need..."
"Forever..." I whispered.
He pulled me into a tight hug and I burried my face in his chest.
End of Flashback~

Today is January 24th of 2009. Officialy 5 years. Wang Zi wanted to go to lunch, so I agreed. Maybe some time with him will help me forget... We walked from my house to the plaza where we planned to eat. I felt like I was being followed by someone, but when I turned around there was no one there.
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah, I am fine... I just feel like there's someone following us..."
"Huh, weird. Come on, let's go in."
We sat down and ordered out food. Wang Zi started talking about random things, but I kept finding that I couldn't concentrate one what he was saying...
"Seriously, are you okay?"
"Huh? What? Oh, yeah... I'm just a little distracted today.. That's all."
"Oh? About...?"
"Nothing...."
"Tell me."
"It's been 5 years..."
"Oh... I'm sorry Gui Gui. I truly am."
"It's okay!" I smiled.
***
We left the resturaunt and went outside.
"Hey wait! I need to go order something to go for my brother. Wait here okay?"
"Kay..." I said.
He left to go back inside. I looked up at the sky and took a big breath... Life could be so unfair.
"Gui Gui?" I heard a voice call for me... I voice that I knew to well. 'I must be crazy,' I thought, but I turned around anyways. And there he was; After 5 years, he was standing before me.
"Hello Gui Gui... How have you been?"
I could feel the tears stinging in my eyes. Do not cry... Do not cry... I repeated over and over in my head.
"Aaron?" I managed to say.
"Yeah... How have you been?"
"I-I've been great... How about yourself?"
"I've been good too... but I've missed you a lot."
I had nothing to say to that, so I kept quiet. I couldn't tell him I missed him, because if I did, I would cry, and I would cry hard.
"Gui Gui... Have you not missed me...?" he smiled.
I stood there motionless, lifeless.
"Guis..."
Guis? He called me that back then... and I never wanted to hear it again. I still loved him... but I wasn't going to go back.
"Stop. Aaron, just stop..."
"What do you mean?"
"Why are you here? Why are you back?"
"I told you... I'd come back after 5 years."
"But, why are you looking for me?"
"Because... I love you... I always have and always will."
The words sent knives ripping through my chest.
"Gui Gui, I've come back to you...!"
"What? No! You were the one that said don't wait for you!" I yelled suddenly mad.
"Does that mean you don't love me anymore?"
I started to cry. I betrayed myself and let the tears flow from my red eyes.
"No... I've never stopped loving you."
He smiled and was about to say something.
"But... after you left, I had to learn to let go... and I have. I've learned to let you go," I finished.
His face went to shock, "Wh-what do you mean...?"
I saw Wang Zi a few steps away. He obviously heard everything. I looked at him in panic and he rushed to my side.
"Ghost? What's wrong, baby?" he said and put his arm around me.
"Who is this?" Aaron asked.
"Hi, I'm Wang Zi... Her boyfriend. Who are you?" he smiled and stuck out his hand.
Aaron took it and answered, "Hi, I'm Aaron."
"Aaron? Hmmm Gui Gui never told me about you! Well, we're running late for a party so we have to go... But, it was nice meeting you!"
"Yeah... you too. Goodbye... Gui Gui... Be happy."
"Good bye Aaron!" Wang Zi smiled.
We turned around and walked away.
"Goodbye Aaron... I love you..." I whispered.
Wang Zi led my lifeless body to the park.
I turned to him.
"Thank you..." I cried.
"Anytime..." he smiled and embraced me.
Once again I buried my face in his chest and stained his shirt.

Aaron Yan, I love you... I always will... But I just had to learn to let you go...
_________________________________________________________
Sorry if it totally you guys!
I'm not so good at writing all these sad stories or one shots!
leave me a comment and tell me what you think!