Because of You

Because of You [One-Shot]

 

Jung Ji Hoon has a problem with beautiful things, a big problem. He was diagnosed with Stendhal Syndrome when he was 8. He didn’t know why he fainted or hyperventilate when he saw extremely beautiful things. Luckily, his symptoms only applied to extreme beauty. Being the CEO of a clothing store didn’t help him much, thanks to his father. Thankfully, he didn’t have to deal with the models or anything because of his trustworthy secretary and assistant, Lee Chaerin.

Chaerin was indeed pretty, but not to his standards that caused him to faint. She had been working for him for 5 years, when she decided to get marry with her longtime boyfriend, Lee Seung hyun. A year after their marriage, she was pregnant and wanted to be a stay at home mom.

“Chaerin, what am I supposed to do without you here?” Ji Hoon asked.

“Don’t worry, I’ll find a replacement for me before I leave and I promise you that,” she said as she left his office.

“You better.”

By the end of the month, Chaerin was gone and the new secretary was going to be in. Ji Hoon came in to the office early that day. He wanted to know who Chaerin hired, and how well he can “handle” her. At around 8:30 am, he heard a knock on his door. He was standing by the conference table when she walked in.

“Hi, my name is Park Bom. I’m the new secretary,” she said before he fainted.

He didn’t know how long he had fainted until he heard her voice.

“Mr. Jung, are you okay? Should I call an ambulance?” she asked.

“No need just take a few steps back away from me for a sec please,” he said feeling nausea and sorry. “Ms. Chaerin has left all the work on her desk which is just outside. All your work is on the table.”

“Okay. I’ll be outside working then, sir.”’

“Miss. Park, I’m sorry,” he said as she walked out the door. “Dammit Chaerin why didn’t you tell me she was going to be that pretty!”

Over the next month, Park Bom didn’t even dare to walk into his office again. He didn’t seem to look at her. Park Bom thought her boss hated her, so she called Chaerin.

“Hey CL,” she said through the phone.

“What’s up unni?” Chaerin replied.

“I think the boss hates me.”

“Why would he? You’re the nicest girl anyone can meet and he’s the nicest guy any can meet.”

“He fainted on the first day I was here and he doesn’t like looking at me.”

“Maybe it’s because you’re damn beautiful, and he’s shy around you.”

“I don’t know, but I don’t know why I said yes when you offered me this job.”

“You can handle it,” she said when her baby started crying in the back. “I’ll talk to you later, little Seung hyun is crying.”

“Okay,” Park Bom said as Chaerin hung up on her.

Ji Hoon felt bad for ignoring his secretary. He couldn’t help it, but every time he caught a glimpse at her, he felt dizzy. He decided it was about time to explain to her before she decided to quit her job.

“Miss Park, can you stay a little late after your working hour please?” he said through the phone.

“Yes sir,” he heard her reply.

By 8:00 pm, the office was empty. Park Bom knocked on the door feeling a bit nervous. Ji Hoon on the other hand was scared as hell.

“Come in,” he said, but as soon as she entered he fainted again.

“Sir, are you okay? Sir?” she called to him.

“I’m sorry,” he said with his eyes closed.

“Sir, what happened?”

“I fainted because of you.”

“You what?”

“I fainted because of you. I fainted because you’re so beautiful.”

Park Bom was shocked. She knew people thought she was pretty, her friends always made fun of her by calling her the goddess. This was the first time in her life that she knew someone would faint because she was pretty.

“I’m sorry, but what?”

“I fainted because you’re beautiful.” Ji Hoon repeated with his eyes closed. “I’m scared to open my eyes right now because I might faint again seeing you.”

“Sir, this is not a funny joke.”

“I’m not joking. I have Stendhal Syndrome meaning that I faint or hyperventilate when I see beautiful things like you.” He could hear her chuckling. “What are you laughing about?”

“I’m sorry, but I have never heard of whatever syndrome you have.”

“I’m serious. You can look it up online.”

“I believe you. Now sir, would you please open your eyes?”

“Can’t I might faint again.”

“My mom once told me, whatever fear or you have, you should overcome it. If you don’t how are you going to handle life? Or in your case, how are you going to deal with your secretary me?” she asked.

“You’re right.” he said as he slowly opened his eyes and tried to stand up, but as soon as his eyes landed on her, he felt dizzy. “Oh no, I feel dizzy just trying to look at you.”

“How about this, why don’t you and I have a staring contest? I will definitely beat you at that.”

“Sure,” he said with his eyes closed. “On a count to 3, 1… 2… 3…” They stared at each other for few minutes and then Ji Hoon blinked and saw her face. Then and there he fainted again. When he was awake, he heard her laughing. “That’s not funny.”

“Sorry,” she said.

“It’s getting late you should go home.”

“Yes sir.”

After that every day, Park Bom stayed late at work and had staring contests with her boss. After a month of staring contests, Ji Hoon could look at her without fainted. He still had his dizziness but it was getting better. After 3 months, Ji Hoon was able to talk and lot at her without feeling dizziness or fainting. He was able to go with Bom to see the models and not faint or feel dizzy. Somehow, she had cured him.

Without realizing it, they were falling in love with each other. Sometimes as an experiment, Bom would bring him to places and see if he fainted or felt dizzy but he would always pass her experiments. The only one this he could pass was her. Every time he saw her, his heart would skip a beat.

During the same spring day when Ji Hoon met Bom, he brought her to their favorite restaurant and proposed to her.

“Park Bom yang, over the past year, you cured me and because of you I can finally see the world and its beauty. Because of you, I can look at you straight in the eyes without fainting and say “I love you.” Will you marry?”

“Yes,” she said as Ji Hoon put the ring on her finger and stood up to kiss her.

“When did you have the courage to say all those things without fainting?” She asked.

“It’s all because of you,” he replied.

THE END