One-Shot

Withered

The silence is unnaturally thick in the room today.

Nothing can be heard except the soft rain knocking on the windows.

I can feel his hesitation to say something.

“You’re home early today.”

My words must have took him by surprise. It seemed like he went through considerations before answering me.

“Yeah…practice ended early today. And it’s raining. So…I thought I would come home and spend some time with you.” He softly replies as he laid his head on my shoulder.

If he done this a few months ago, I would break into a smile. However, today, I don’t feel the smile anywhere.  I still longed for his touch, despite it doesn’t give me butterflies anymore.

He must have noticed my lack of reaction.

“What’s wrong?”

Is it okay to say that nothing’s right? You’re an idol. I’m a normal person. You’re always busy and I’m always waiting. I tried to understand your busy schedules. I tried to become as busy as you are so I could keep my mind off of you. And I did get busy. Busy to the point that it eventually tired me out.

I turn around and stare into his tired and concerned eyes.

“What do you think of our relationship?” I ask.

“Although we’re usually busy and don’t get to each other often…I’m grateful to have you by my side.” After saying so, he pulls me into a hug.

Internally, I can feel another piece of my heart withering.

“Wha-…what if I told you, I’m tired.”

He doesn’t say anything.

“Mark….I know you must be tired too.”

“What are you trying to say?”

I break away from the hug and removed his arms from my body.

“I’m physically and emotionally drained. I don’t know how to love you anymore.”

At this point, tears are just free falling from my eyes.

Slowly, he reaches for my hands to hold.

“Babe, I don’t understand. Where is this all coming from?”

“Your other girlfriend messaged me a few months ago.”

I stared dead straight into his eyes as I wipe away my tears.

“She kindly informed me that you’ll always go back to her and told me to just give up and leave you already.”

His hold loosens.

“I didn’t believe her at first. But then she showed me all these happy pictures you guys took. I believed in your “busy schedules.” I didn’t question because I wanted to be understanding. But it seemed like this is what I get in return of being understanding.”

“Babe I can explain everything. She’s an old friend from home and she visited so I thought it was only right to take her out. I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want you to misunderstand.”

I slide the promise ring off and put it in his hands.

“Good friends don’t kiss each other on the lips. It was great while it lasted. I hope you have a good life with her.”

As if on cue, the doorbell rings. I grab my suitcases and headed for the door.

Mark followed close and begged for another chance.

“Please babe…I know I’m wrong. But my feelings for you are different. I want to settle down with you. Please give me another chance.”

 “Mark. You have to understand that I did give you that chance. Within these months since I found out, I gave you the chance to be truthful to me. I buried myself in school and work and tried to forget that it didn’t happen. Did I not ask about her relation with you? You said you guys were acquaintances.”

The doorbell rings again.

I opened the door and the person that has been waiting took a good look at the two of us before holding out his hand. I handed him my suitcases and as he walked towards the elevators, I turned back and looked at Mark for the last time.

“I...will be moving on. I don’t blame you anymore. Thank you for everything…and take care.”