Final

Bittersweet Farewell

 

 

 

 

Bittersweet Farewell

 

 

 

As soon as she stepped inside the room, she jumped into the bed and let her body relax. Walking for the whole day felt completely different to practicing a dance choreography for the same time. It wasn't her physical body she wanted to relax. In fact, if she had more energy she would gladly re-do the day livelier. It was the emotional aspect that depleted her spirit. And if you add acting, she was exhausted by the end of the day. 

 

She covered her eyes with her arm to prevent her eyes from getting watery. She tried her best to relax and stop herself from sobbing hard. She was definitely sure she got him but he was too quick to notice the difference of her actions.

 

He only stood by the closed door, staring at the woman on the bed. He wanted to end things with a smile and he was grateful at her for acting that way. But he could feel it. He felt her loneliness and sadness. She would check the time every now and then and a gloom would cast down her face. 

 

They could continue with this relationship but it would be harder in the future to end things. The army gives holidays but both of them knew he would spend it with this family more. So if ever they decided to end it in the future while he was still in duty, they wouldn't have a proper ending. Marriage was a too crazy idea and he learnt that when his fellow member decided to get married before enlisting. He understood his hyung but that would mean their careers would be on the line. 

 

Kyuhyun placed their bags at one corner. In his mind, he was creating sentences to start the conversation. To tell the truth, he was quick witted but there was nothing to say for the benefit of the two of them. The future is foggy but both were thinking what's the best for the other. The answer to their worries was quite simple yet they made it complicated: stay together and cross the bridge when that time comes. 

 

"We didn't go to a lot of places today, oppa," Seohyun stated, with her arm still covering her eyes. She took a quick few breaths and sat up to look at him.

 

He was glad she talked first, a very rare occurence during a tense atmosphere, and replied, "What do you mean by that? My feet hurts after all that walking. It's more than what I've imagined."

 

She pouted, "Fine, let's order pizza instead and have an all nighter watching sappy movies."

 

She went to her bag to grab her phone to order delivery. Room service was available but since deliveries from the outside was allowed, why not. 

 

She ruffled through her bag when suddenly he hugged her from behind. It was unexpected. His hug was crushing the walls she diligently built in a flash and tears begun swelling up in her eyes.

 

"W-what are you doing, oppa? I'm hungry so can you please let go for a moment," she told him as best as she could in her normal voice. 

 

He turned her around and embraced her tighter with his face at the crook of her neck. It wasn't only her in pain, he was too. He loved her too much to let go that easily. It'll take him more than the army to pull him apart from her. He knew that yet why did they have to break-up. For their own good? Is it for the best?

 

Seohyun hugged him back firmly, not wanting to let go of him, and let her tears freely fall. It wasn't easy holding it back in and she felt suffocated. After releasing her pent up emotions, she felt lighter and better.

 

He let cry while her head gently. It was then he realized it- more like it finally hit him hard- that they were ending and they both did not want this. This was not a difficult math question. It was actually quite easy but the way the question was worded made it look difficult. 

 

He gently lifted her up on her feet and gently tugged her to sit on the bed. Kyuhyun dragged the chair and placed in directly in front of Seohyun so they could talk face to face.

 

He held both her hands and rubbed her knuckles with his thumb.

 

"Do you want to think this all over again?" he asked. 

 

She looked up to him and when she saw his face, she answered his question without any hesitation, "I don't want to break up."

 

He bit his lip. On the inside he was happy because he felt the same. 

 

"I heard the majority of couples break up because of enlistment and most of it happens while their men is still on duty. You will be given holidays but I doubt you will use those precious time to talk to me for a break-up. I don't want to end things with a phone call. If ever we break up, I want it face to face," Seohyun lowered her head and cried even more.

 

Kyuhyun understood her reasoning. It was common for couples to break up during those times. The list of reasons are endless such as less contact with one another or waiting for nearly two years for his release. Another reason would be their feelings slowly disappeared until it's fully gone.

 

He cupped her cheeks and raised her head a bit so that she was facing him, "How are you sure we will break-up? Based on what you said, the 'majority' of couples break-up, not all of them. Plus, it was you who suggested that and I respected your decision."

 

She shook her head and said, "I thought I could take it. I have never thought it would be this painful."

 

He smiled before pulling her up and wrapped his arms around her. 

 

"I thought a break-up was necessary at first too. But hearing your wish, it changed my mind. We don't have to break up but it will be difficult for us in the next two years. I haven't seen the future so I can't tell you if we are still together by the end. If our feelings for each other are still the same until then, will you wait for me? Are you willing to wait that long for me?"

 

She hugged him back before replying, "If you still love me by then, I can wait for you no matter how long it takes."

 

He tightened his hold on her and swayed gently, side to side. 

 

"This option is better than the breaking up one, isn't it? Why didn't we think of this before?" he chuckled.

 

She laughed just thinking back when she thought of this idea. It was stupid and pointless when their love was still strong. She was sure at that moment their relationship would continue and get stronger in those two years.

 

They pulled back a tiny bit. Kyuhyun wiped her tears with his thumb before giving a quick soft peck on her lips.

 

"So shall we order pizza or do you want to eat me instead?" he teased.

 

"I want to eat pizza but I also want you so wipe that smirk off your face or else I'm leading," 

 

"Very . I can't wait to experience paradise under your hands," he grinned.

 

She face palmed herself and at the same time getting flustered, "That's not what I meant. I mean I will be the one who'll choose the movie we are going to watch."

 

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever," he said before pushing her down the bed and going on top of her. "We didn't get a bittersweet farewell. Instead, we got a happy ending."

 

"That's true," she agreed before leaning up to catch his soft, supple lips with hers. 

 

Their night was filled with sweetness and laughter and when morning came, they were still together and both of them believed it will lead to forever.